PokéCommunity Daily The article workshop for PokéCommunity Daily. Pitch your ideas for PC Daily articles here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old August 11th, 2016 (10:21 AM).
Altairis's Avatar
Altairis Altairis is offline
take me ☆ take you
     
    Join Date: Jun 2012
    Location: database database
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Modest
    Posts: 5,174
    http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/entry-restrictions-at-the-2016-world-championships/

    IM SO SALTY ABOUT THIS... anyway Worlds 2016 is closed to the general public and I was planning on going :( I can write up something quick about this since I know a bunch of people were planning on going but now they can't.. rip. Might be good to get the word out since they only announced this ~1 week before the actual event when people's trips have been planned for months.
    __________________

    ORAS/XYBW
    Reply With Quote
      #2    
    Old August 11th, 2016 (10:24 AM).
    gimmepie's Avatar
    gimmepie gimmepie is offline
     
    Join Date: May 2012
    Location: Australia
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 18,475
    Sounds like a plan.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #3    
    Old August 11th, 2016 (10:49 AM).
    bobandbill's Avatar
    bobandbill bobandbill is offline
    This is fine.
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: A cape
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 14,020
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
    http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/entry-restrictions-at-the-2016-world-championships/

    IM SO SALTY ABOUT THIS... anyway Worlds 2016 is closed to the general public and I was planning on going :( I can write up something quick about this since I know a bunch of people were planning on going but now they can't.. rip. Might be good to get the word out since they only announced this ~1 week before the actual event when people's trips have been planned for months.
    I'll also approve now given the time-sensitive aspect (plus it's interesting!), so this is greenlit. Would you like to write this here, or in the subsection? Let me know if the latter and someone'll copy a post into a new thread for you there.

    Also, please PM me or Jake your email, desired username (can't be changed) and nickname (can be changed; how you get credited on the wordpress site as an author via the fancier display thing.
    __________________
    Reply With Quote
      #4    
    Old August 11th, 2016 (11:11 AM).
    Karous's Avatar
    Karous Karous is offline
    Captain Obvious
       
      Join Date: Jun 2016
      Location: The Seventh Circle of Hell
      Age: 26
      Gender: Other
      Nature: Impish
      Posts: 180
      FYI, this was known for weeks as this was told to the competitors on their invitations. While it doesn't really change the tone of the article, it should be noted that while this was known, TPCi neglected to make a public announcement.
      __________________
      GAY LOVEMAKING MAHOU SHOUNEN ENTHUSIAST
      Reply With Quote
        #5    
      Old August 11th, 2016 (11:18 AM). Edited August 11th, 2016 by Altairis.
      Altairis's Avatar
      Altairis Altairis is offline
      take me ☆ take you
         
        Join Date: Jun 2012
        Location: database database
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Modest
        Posts: 5,174
        I can just write it here. I don't think it'll be that long, but I will do my best :) PMd you the info.
        __________________

        ORAS/XYBW
        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old August 11th, 2016 (11:19 AM). Edited August 11th, 2016 by Altairis.
        Altairis's Avatar
        Altairis Altairis is offline
        take me ☆ take you
           
          Join Date: Jun 2012
          Location: database database
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Modest
          Posts: 5,174
          EDIT SORRY FOR THE NOTIFICATIONS I KEEP EDITING THIS POST
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Karous View Post
          FYI, this was known for weeks as this was told to the competitors on their invitations. While it doesn't really change the tone of the article, it should be noted that while this was known, TPCi neglected to make a public announcement.
          There was a document that said spectators should show up early to obtain a Spectator/Guest badge, so it was thought that people could still show up to watch without being an official participant. This announcement kills that, though :(

          I can upload it but it's kind of a big PDF. These are the important parts in the email sent:

          Quote:
          Please note: As of this year’s World Championships, all attendees within the event venue must have an official event
          badge. This includes participants, the parents and guardians of players under 18 years of age (designated as “guests”),
          and non-participating spectators. Capacity in the event venue is limited, and a limited number of spectator badges will be
          distributed. Entry without an official event badge will not be permitted.
          Quote:
          Badge
          All attendees (including participants, non-participating spectators, and guests) within the World Championships event
          venue are required to have an official event badge. Each person’s badge should be worn so it is easily visible. Entry to
          “Badge Access Only” areas without an official event badge will not be permitted. Anyone within a “Badge Access Only”
          area who does not have an official event badge will be asked to leave. The Pokémon Center store will be accessible
          without an event badge.
          I don't know if this should be included in the article, as this is now void with the announcement.
          __________________

          ORAS/XYBW
          Reply With Quote
            #7    
          Old August 11th, 2016 (11:27 AM).
          Karous's Avatar
          Karous Karous is offline
          Captain Obvious
             
            Join Date: Jun 2016
            Location: The Seventh Circle of Hell
            Age: 26
            Gender: Other
            Nature: Impish
            Posts: 180
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
            There was a document that said spectators should show up early to obtain a Spectator/Guest badge, so it was thought that people could still show up to watch without being an official participant. This announcement kills that, though :(
            Hmmm, I don't see where this is killed off:

            Quote:
            Capacity in the event venue is limited, and a limited number of spectator badges will be distributed.
            My intention isn't to nitpick, but to share my frustrations that a public announcement clarifying this policy was not made sooner. I share your anger btw, I was planning on attending since I haven't been able to attend Worlds since 2011. I was hoping to see some of my friends around the world but that's going to be limited depending on how far they get in the tournament and how much they want to spectate. Looking forward to your article.
            __________________
            GAY LOVEMAKING MAHOU SHOUNEN ENTHUSIAST
            Reply With Quote
              #8    
            Old August 11th, 2016 (11:31 AM).
            Altairis's Avatar
            Altairis Altairis is offline
            take me ☆ take you
               
              Join Date: Jun 2012
              Location: database database
              Gender: Female
              Nature: Modest
              Posts: 5,174
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Karous View Post
              Hmmm, I don't see where this is killed off:



              My intention isn't to nitpick, but to share my frustrations that a public announcement clarifying this policy was not made sooner. I share your anger btw, I was planning on attending since I haven't been able to attend Worlds since 2011. I was hoping to see some of my friends around the world but that's going to be limited depending on how far they get in the tournament and how much they want to spectate.
              It's fine, please nitpick! I dont mind at all :)

              In the new announcement they say:
              Quote:
              Each invited player will be given a Player badge. Each invited player under 18 years of age will be guaranteed one Guest badge at check-in, to allow one parent or guardian into the event venue. We will do our best to accommodate additional family members of invited players, but attendees should note that additional Guest badges are not guaranteed. Any additional Guest badges will be available on a first-come, first-served basis, and supplies are limited. An email with these details is being sent to invited players.
              This means that only family members and people brought by the official players can attend, not random non-participating spectators (the public). I will make that clearer in my other post.

              I wanted to go, too :( I wanted to write something about it for the Daily but now I cant even get in RIP.
              __________________

              ORAS/XYBW
              Reply With Quote
                #9    
              Old August 11th, 2016 (11:34 AM). Edited August 11th, 2016 by Altairis.
              Altairis's Avatar
              Altairis Altairis is offline
              take me ☆ take you
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2012
                Location: database database
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Modest
                Posts: 5,174
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
                I'll also approve now given the time-sensitive aspect (plus it's interesting!), so this is greenlit. Would you like to write this here, or in the subsection? Let me know if the latter and someone'll copy a post into a new thread for you there.

                Also, please PM me or Jake your email, desired username (can't be changed) and nickname (can be changed; how you get credited on the wordpress site as an author via the fancier display thing.
                ((Side note: this is TPCi's image for the event so it could be used as the top image. Let me know if I should change anything else))

                Worlds 2016 Closed to the General Public
                The Pokémon Company has posted a message on their website today stating that the 2016 World Championships will be closed to the general public, and that attendance will be restricted even for qualified players' guests. This change is stated to be due to space concerns.

                The 2016 World Championships is an event where players who have qualified from all over the world in different events compete for the title of #1. The three events that are scheduled for 2016 are the TCG, ORAS VGC, and Pokkén Championships. This event is being held in San Francisco at the Marriott Marquis Hotel from August 19 to 21.

                The event's location and dates have been public information for many months. Dozens of players have booked flights and hotels in order to attend as spectators, only to have the rug pulled out from under them a week before the event is scheduled.

                While this information was only posted today, it was hinted at last week when Aaron Zheng, a commentator for Pokémon VGC competitions, posted part of a document sent to qualified Worlds players on Twitter. This document hinted that admission would be granted to the general public, but only as a first-come-first-serve deal, as anybody wanting to attend must have an official badge granting entry. People who wanted to spectate would have to show up early to obtain a Guest badge that would permit them inside the venue. Additionally, this document states that side events, such as an open VGC tournament that was hosted last year, would be located at a separate location across the street, further hinting that there were space concerns.

                However, the Pokémon Company's new announcement clarifies that the guest badges are only available for one parent or guardian of qualified players under 18, and that it is not guaranteed anybody else will be allowed to bring guests into the venue, or that players will be allowed to bring more than one guest.

                In the past years, attendance has been open to anyone who wished to spectate in person instead of following streams on The Pokémon Company's website. Additionally, Pokémon had been distributed over local Wi-Fi--in 2014, players could get an Aegislash, and in 2015, Sharpedo was available. The fact that no Pokémon was announced to be distributed earlier also hints at the fact that the Pokémon Company was concerned about the lack of space, though there is no explanation as to why players were not warned before making travel plans.

                Players are encouraged to instead watch coverage of the events at the Pokémon Company's website, where all three events will be shown.
                __________________

                ORAS/XYBW
                Reply With Quote
                  #10    
                Old August 11th, 2016 (2:30 PM).
                Rivvon's Avatar
                Rivvon Rivvon is offline
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2007
                Location: USA
                Age: 25
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Jolly
                Posts: 2,449
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Altairis View Post
                The 2016 World Championships is an event where players who have qualified all over the world in different events
                I'd add "from" in-between "qualified" and "all over," so "players who have qualified from all over the world."

                Quote:
                Dozens of players have booked flights and hotels
                On the one hand, I think "dozens" implies a much smaller number than how many are actually affected. On the other hand, I'm not sure of another word to use in its place that won't over-exaggerate the matter... But there are definitely more than dozen affected by this, hm...

                Quote:
                However, the Pokémon Company's new announcement clarifies that the guest badges are only available for parents or guardians of qualified players under 18,
                I'd change this to "only available for one parent or guardian," because, well, competitors under 18 can only receive one guest pass (another point of disappointment for some, since some young competitors' families were planning on going, if you feel like adding that detail).

                Quote:
                In the past years, attendance has been open to anyone who wished to spectate in-life instead of following streams on The Pokémon Company's website.
                I would change "in-life" to "in person."

                Quote:
                Additionally, Pokémon were also distributed over local Wi-Fi
                I'd change "were also" to "had been," to keep it past tense.

                Aside from that this looks fine to me. Short and to the point.
                __________________

                Reply With Quote
                  #11    
                Old August 11th, 2016 (3:21 PM). Edited August 11th, 2016 by Altairis.
                Altairis's Avatar
                Altairis Altairis is offline
                take me ☆ take you
                   
                  Join Date: Jun 2012
                  Location: database database
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Modest
                  Posts: 5,174
                  Fixed :) Sorry for the notifications bobandbill, I just edited the post above.

                  ((Also I have an account but does someone else post it or do I..? Sorry this is my first article here))
                  __________________

                  ORAS/XYBW
                  Reply With Quote
                    #12    
                  Old August 13th, 2016 (1:16 PM). Edited August 13th, 2016 by EmraldFox.
                  EmraldFox's Avatar
                  EmraldFox EmraldFox is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2016
                    Location: Northrn Ireland
                    Age: 37
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 19
                    Ive got a feeling I know why this is. Last year there was a security threat against teh championships wre two people actually traveld to the championsships in order to shoot it up but were thankfully stopped by cops http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat

                    Ive got a feeling that while they didn't want to say it publicly they wanted to boost security for the championships because of this and the fact of what happend in paris and Germany and just wanted to restrict access to those that have proper clearance to be there. In the end there just playing it better safe than sorry with a event that will attract a huge crowd to it and I cant really blame them for it. Especially when some of the players attending this will be kids
                    Reply With Quote
                      #13    
                    Old August 13th, 2016 (4:38 PM).
                    Otter Mii-kun's Avatar
                    Otter Mii-kun Otter Mii-kun is offline
                    Molly, you are so adorable! ♥
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2005
                      Location: 810, Michigan
                      Age: 30
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 2,199
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by EmraldFox View Post
                      Ive got a feeling I know why this is. Last year there was a security threat against teh championships wre two people actually traveld to the championsships in order to shoot it up but were thankfully stopped by cops http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat

                      Ive got a feeling that while they didn't want to say it publicly they wanted to boost security for the championships because of this and the fact of what happend in paris and Germany and just wanted to restrict access to those that have proper clearance to be there. In the end there just playing it better safe than sorry with a event that will attract a huge crowd to it and I cant really blame them for it. Especially when some of the players attending this will be kids
                      I actually surmised this in the thread linking to this article on Pokémon General. That would be my best guess anyway, or maybe they didn't realize about venue capacity limits imposed by a regulatory agency such as a building code/inspection department or fire marshal.
                      __________________
                      Reply With Quote
                        #14    
                      Old August 16th, 2016 (9:16 AM).
                      Bounsweet's Avatar
                      Bounsweet Bounsweet is offline
                      Fruit Pokémon
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2007
                        Posts: 2,105
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by EmraldFox View Post
                        Ive got a feeling I know why this is. Last year there was a security threat against teh championships wre two people actually traveld to the championsships in order to shoot it up but were thankfully stopped by cops http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/23/9194747/pokemon-world-championships-2015-terror-threat

                        Ive got a feeling that while they didn't want to say it publicly they wanted to boost security for the championships because of this and the fact of what happend in paris and Germany and just wanted to restrict access to those that have proper clearance to be there. In the end there just playing it better safe than sorry with a event that will attract a huge crowd to it and I cant really blame them for it. Especially when some of the players attending this will be kids
                        Highly doubtful. The two men who threatened violence last year were qualifiers in the TCG portion, they had every right to be at the venue considering they were competitors. So to filter the general public from the venue, considering the threat made last year was by two people who had earned enough CP to compete, doesn't add up. Their claim for no access is the size of the venue, which is still a shady excuse.

                        Also, the qualifiers weren't notified weeks before the general public. They only received their e-mails (private, with implications of limited access) a little less than a week before the public announcement that the event would be strictly no-access.

                        As one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of people who booked their flight in advance, I'm furious.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #15    
                        Old August 16th, 2016 (10:06 AM).
                        Altairis's Avatar
                        Altairis Altairis is offline
                        take me ☆ take you
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2012
                          Location: database database
                          Gender: Female
                          Nature: Modest
                          Posts: 5,174
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Otter Mii-kun View Post
                          I actually surmised this in the thread linking to this article on Pokémon General. That would be my best guess anyway, or maybe they didn't realize about venue capacity limits imposed by a regulatory agency such as a building code/inspection department or fire marshal.
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Hikari Takahashi View Post
                          Highly doubtful. The two men who threatened violence last year were qualifiers in the TCG portion, they had every right to be at the venue considering they were competitors. So to filter the general public from the venue, considering the threat made last year was by two people who had earned enough CP to compete, doesn't add up. Their claim for no access is the size of the venue, which is still a shady excuse.

                          Also, the qualifiers weren't notified weeks before the general public. They only received their e-mails (private, with implications of limited access) a little less than a week before the public announcement that the event would be strictly no-access.

                          As one of the hundreds (if not thousands) of people who booked their flight in advance, I'm furious.
                          I think maybe we should be using the public discussion thread, not the article thread D:
                          http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=375664
                          __________________

                          ORAS/XYBW
                          Reply With Quote
                          Reply

                          Quick Reply

                          Join the conversation!

                          Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                          Create a PokéCommunity Account
                          Thread Tools

                          Posting Rules
                          You may not post new threads
                          You may not post replies
                          You may not post attachments
                          You may not edit your posts

                          BB code is On
                          Smilies are On
                          [IMG] code is On
                          HTML code is Off

                          Forum Jump


                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:13 AM.