• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
Hey guys, I have several questions:

1). A-Text isn't changing any of my text except for replacing the word 'Grandson' with 'Nephew'. o.O

2). I have scripted some signposts in but all that's coming up are strange characters.

3). I have changed everything in Pallet Town on A-Map, but when I save it, it doesn't work in VBA...

I have worked hard on this and really don't want to start over...

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Hey guys, I have several questions:

1). A-Text isn't changing any of my text except for replacing the word 'Grandson' with 'Nephew'. o.O

2). I have scripted some signposts in but all that's coming up are strange characters.

3). I have changed everything in Pallet Town on A-Map, but when I save it, it doesn't work in VBA...

I have worked hard on this and really don't want to start over...

1. Don't use A-text.

2. Don't use A-text.

3. Be more specific.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
Years
1. Don't use A-text.

2. Don't use A-text.

3. Be more specific.

1. Why? Isn't it the only way to edit Prof. Oak's text?

2. I actually scripted the signs in by using XSE, A-Map and FSF.

3. Okay, I've remaped it so there's a beach to the south and a mini-mountain to the north, and I've also edited both maps that join onto them, but their not showing up, making me seem like I have border errors when I don't. It's like the rom saved it at that point and no matter what I do, despite resaving it, it stays the same. I even repatched the IPS to a clean rom :\

Years
^If the patch is in the same folder as the ROM, move or delete it (the patch). Then open your ROM in A-Map to see if the changes apply. (This is one of the things that happens, it doesn't mean it IS what happened to yours).

Years
  • Seen Jun 10, 2023
hey does anyone know how to make a give pokemon menu script? Answer please

Orinjmate

The Orinj of the Mate
Years
Please asnwer i beg you so much pleaseeeee
If you mean the menu then the command on RSE is:-
setflag 0x828
and on FRLG is:-
setflag 0x800
If you mean how to give a pokemon and set the menu then it is the above but you also need to put:-
givepokemon 0x(hex number of the pokemon)

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2014
I wanted to make to persons disapear, nº1 and nº2. This is after talking with person nº1. the nº1 disapears but nº2 does not.. why?

my code:

setflag 0x115

#raw 0x53 0x01 0x00
#raw 0x53 0x02 0x00

fadescreen 0

Years
If you mean the menu then the command on RSE is:-
setflag 0x828
and on FRLG is:-
setflag 0x800
If you mean how to give a pokemon and set the menu then it is the above but you also need to put:-
givepokemon 0x(hex number of the pokemon)

No, activating the Pokémon menu in FireRed is done by adding in "setflag 0x828". I'm not sure about Ruby, but guessing from your mistake, it's "setflag 0x800".

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
1. Why? Isn't it the only way to edit Prof. Oak's text?
A-Text is very buggy will undoubtedley screw up your rom. The best way to do it is to use a hex editor, such as Translhextion, that's the way I do it. Hex isn't nearly as hard as it looks.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Is there like a flag or special or something that checks if you have the Bike in your bag so they will prevent you from passing to the cycling road until you get the bike?

"checkitem ITEM_BICYCLE 0x1" will work in any ROM as long as you put "#include stditems.rbh" somewhere in the script.

Okay, I have a maybe simple question for you scripters out there. What is the use for "setvar" and all of the other "var"s? Why should I use them, and what do you use them for?

It's difficult to explain the functionality of variables to someone without any programming experience but a variable is basically just a space in which you can store a number. In Pokémon, variables can store any number from -65,535 to 65,535 (not 100% on that). Flags, on the other hand, can only be set to either one (True) or zero (False). As for what variables can do... well that's pretty complicated. They can be used, as I mentioned, to store numbers (e.g., a bank account's current balance) or they can be used to bring variation (hence "variables) into scripts. If it weren't for variables, then every script would run the exact same way every time the player played the game. So yeah, that's what variables are for.

Is there a way to create a loop in a script event? I know we can use 'call 0xoffset' as much as we want, but is there a way, like to use this call command in one line? Like 'call 0xoffset 3', where 3 refers to the amount of times I want it to loop. I hope this makes any sense.

Try something like this:

Code:
setvar 0x4050 0x0
call @loop

#org @loop
...    // Loop stuff goes here
addvar 0x4050 0x1
compare 0x4050 0x10    // Loops 0x10 (16) times
if B_<< goto @loop
return

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
Right, guess I should try an easier question...

I've had another bug appear in the Emerald ROM I'm hacking. I do an ordinary trainer battle script, using some new trainers I created. Except, after the trainer battle is completed, the map fades back in to reveal the hero sprite facing the direction they were facing before the trainer spotted them, and then soon after the fade in, the hero faces the trainer they just battled and has some sort of weird out of body experience...

Basically the map stops updating, the player is suddenly teleported elsewhere in the map, but the camera doesn't follow them during this teleport. The hero sprite meanwhile does not move (since the map stopped updating) and it's basically like walking around blindly. Events are still interactable though.

It feels like this glitch is easy to reproduce, but no matter how many times I look, the script and the overworld sprites are all just fine and dandy. Anything that could cause this type of behaviour?

Years
Right, guess I should try an easier question...

I've had another bug appear in the Emerald ROM I'm hacking. I do an ordinary trainer battle script, using some new trainers I created. Except, after the trainer battle is completed, the map fades back in to reveal the hero sprite facing the direction they were facing before the trainer spotted them, and then soon after the fade in, the hero faces the trainer they just battled and has some sort of weird out of body experience...

Basically the map stops updating, the player is suddenly teleported elsewhere in the map, but the camera doesn't follow them during this teleport. The hero sprite meanwhile does not move (since the map stopped updating) and it's basically like walking around blindly. Events are still interactable though.

It feels like this glitch is easy to reproduce, but no matter how many times I look, the script and the overworld sprites are all just fine and dandy. Anything that could cause this type of behaviour?

The most common cause of this problem is using the Look Down behaviour setting on NPC/Trainer OWs. If you used the start menu when near those trainers, the same thing would probably happen. So, set their behaviour to 'No Movement'. That should fix it- it worked for many others who've had that problem.

Soulweaver

a mirage
Years
A simple question again... I did try to search but got only heaps of irrelevant results.

What is the offset or .narc file to Pokémon names of the foreign Pokémon entries in a HG ROM? Is there a conversion table for this "custom UTF-16" encoding I've been hearing?
I already tried all zukan-related .narcs but none of them seemed to contain any related text data.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
The most common cause of this problem is using the Look Down behaviour setting on NPC/Trainer OWs. If you used the start menu when near those trainers, the same thing would probably happen. So, set their behaviour to 'No Movement'. That should fix it- it worked for many others who've had that problem.

It worked! Thanks a royal bunch, I'll make sure to keep that in mind from now on. Thanks again <3

Totaldile

appeared! Totaldile used RAWR!
Years
I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to scripting, and I'm trying to give my character the running shoes in Firered. However, I can't find the hex code for them :/
(I'm using XSE BTW).
I saw somewhere it's 0x82F but it won't even compile with the ROM :/.

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2013
I feel a little embarrassed to post so soon after having one of my previous problems have been solved but...

Well, the problem I was having before is persisting...a little. It's certainly similar. The player can still move about normally as their sprite and interact with things as usual, but trainers on certain areas of the map...don't work correctly. They act as if they're already defeated, when they were never battled. I thought this was a problem with the trainers until I moved them, and they suddenly started working.

Related is the fact that the sprites are acting very mysteriously. Depending on where I move on the map, OW sprites will randomly disappear and reappear, as if being unloaded and reloaded. Normally I'd think this only happens when they go off screen but it's as if the game has lost all touch with what's considered on screen and what's considered off screen.

This only happens on a newly created map. Did I miss a step? I followed all the tutorials I could find and made inserting maps look rather easy...I also made sure to tell Advance Map not to try and repoint anything on it's own so I can guarentee the ROM's safety myself. In short, what's wrong with the map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back