• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Biggest hopes and fears with DP Remakes

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
I'm going to be absolutely brutally honest with you here, the biggest thing I'm worried about, outside of possibly dumbing down the original games, is how these games will be affected by Dexit. From the records, it seems to be that limited dexes are going to be a thing to stay from now on considering they didn't add every missing mon to SwSh, and they might cut off compatibility with SwSh for god knows whatever reason. I can honestly see them doing this, but I really hope not.

Years
I'm going to be absolutely brutally honest with you here, the biggest thing I'm worried about, outside of possibly dumbing down the original games, is how these games will be affected by Dexit. From the records, it seems to be that limited dexes are going to be a thing to stay from now on considering they didn't add every missing mon to SwSh, and they might cut off compatibility with SwSh for god knows whatever reason. I can honestly see them doing this, but I really hope not.

I understand this too. It's pretty clear to me these games will only have Pokémon that were in the original Platinum and maybe a few extra additions - does seem like the era where all Pokémon exist in the game and games from the same gen connecting with each other (to an extent) is over. To an extent I can see why since we have so many mons nowadays, but it can still be sad to think about. I do hope they'll at least connect with each other in some way, even if specific Pokémon can't be used because they don't exist/have moves that don't exist in SwSh but do in BDSP and vice versa.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
hopes:
- Battle Frontier
- All the event Pokemon as events and not Wi-Fi handouts
- bopping soundtracks, as well as an DS Player option to hear original ST.

fears:
- none of those included
- a bizarre not the same story like ORAS
- the game made super easy for younger players with no option for a harder mode for veteran players.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
Years
Hopes: Platinum but with d/p version differences
Contests are as they were, not reverted to the RS/ORAS style
Legendaries are in-game events or some kind of wifi download stuff.

Fears:
D/P dex
Lack of real postgame
Somehow arbitrary DLC

Years
I think they seem too close to the originals for any hopes and fears, really. I think we all already know almost exactly what these games will be, a buffer for Legends Arceus.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I think they should put in character customisation, and then make it a roadblock before you hit route 216, so that you can't enter the snowy routes unless you pick up thicker winter clothing. I mean, if you come to think of it, the femal protagonist's outfit shows tons of skin to the point you'd probably think she'd freeze in so much snow.

Would not be surprised if they didn't actually think about doing that if that doesn't actually happen in the remakes, considering this is a franchise that's pretty much immune to logic.

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
Kinda afraid it's online play will be similar to LGPE, and they'll keep the competitive side on SwSh. Hoping it has some changes like dex expansion, although I doubt it considering it's faithful

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
Kinda afraid it's online play will be similar to LGPE, and they'll keep the competitive side on SwSh. Hoping it has some changes like dex expansion, although I doubt it considering it's faithful

To be honest, I wouldn't really read too much into the whole "faithful remake" scenario. If it were to be a faithful remake, then it would take close inspiration from the source material, rather than outright copy it one to one. ORAS and LGPE were pretty faithful remakes as they stand, and they had some major differences, such as ORAS having a heavy focus on Mega Evolution and working it into its plot, and LGPE adding GO mechanics. Chances are they might make them fully compatible with SwSh (which is a best case scenario because it eliminates the need for SwSh to have a third DLC), but I'm not really sure since they probably want to sell Home subscriptions, and force people to buy SwSh.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Hopes

- Same difficulty as original games, maybe increased
- New content
- Faithful remake
- Sinnoh to be bigger and have more nooks and crannies
- Battle Frontier and Platinum Pokédex = Platinum events

Fears

- Handholding/easy peasy BS
- Removal of original games' features
- Sinnoh being stripped of it's wonders and exploration

mertis

the mert that was
Years
Hopes- Getting more things from platinum.
Fears- being exactly like OG DP with the same dex and basically being the same game

also cindy
please don't add the cindy trade
please?

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
Years
  • Age 33
  • PA
  • Seen Mar 31, 2024
platinum improvements
have all 3 members of the creation trio show up with giratina dragging cyrus into the distortion world
higher difficulty in general
no hand holding and option to skip the pokemon catching tutorial, which should have been a thing way back when yellow was released
Cyrus and Cynthia are even more of a threat, as well as the team galactic admirals and gym leaders
no pokemon nerfs
national dex
no shiny locking outside of locking some things into be 100% shiny
no exp share or exp charm til after the end game, no candies out the ass
early game shiny charm & oval charm
early pokemon able to learn soak, false swipe and a sleep or stun inducing move within the first 20 levels
hm mechanics without hm moves, kinda like with what lets go did but not locked to a pokemon but rather attached to items.
no shiny locks of the legendaries or gift pokemon
give the gyms more difficult puzzles and make all puzzles in general more difficult
stronger barry
no hau the 3ed being randomly shoved in or worse; turning barry into a hau clone
mystical pokemon side stories and more additions to lore ​
mega evolutions, but late into the game with max friendship requirement for the player
give most of the gym leaders mega evolutions though the play though
AZ cameo with more mega evolution lore
battle frontier
lvl 100 magikarp in the lake, though with a 80-100% chance of being shiny
bring back the old ribbons and add more
no D-max or G-max
no Z-moves
cosmog without the shiny lock that can be captured in battle, just have it floating around threateningly in the distortion world
cosmog & cosmoem buff
more reasonable way to farm a shiny antique form sinistea, 1/409600 without optimizing 1/45800 with optimizing and you have to catch each sinistea before being able to check it? damn thing is technically the second rarest pokemon right now, right behind its evolved form.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Well here's another hope here: someone hears out about my previous post on this thread.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 29, 2021
Fix the Honey Tree mechanic so that it's actually fun and not a tedious randomized grind where 90% of the time you get absolute garbage like Wurmple, Burmy, male Combee, or literally nothing.

I'm still shocked this isn't talked about more. Heracross is a 1% encounter. Munchlax is a 1% encounter on four trees. And then the only other "Worthwhile" encounters are Aipom, female Combee, and Cherubi (And I am really stretching the definition of "worthwhile" for these 3).

Last edited:

Battle Trainer 1823

— Regional Sinnoh Forms.
— Full National Pokédex.
— Mega Evolutions.
— Expanded Sinnoh Dex (the 210 Platinum ones, plus some extra mons like Sylveon, the missing Sinnoh legendaries and the five Regis would make the Dex 224, plus 176 mons from other Gens 1-3 and 5-8 as filler).
— Battle Frontier.
— Underground, Poffins and Contests being updated.

Biggest Fears:
— Only the Platinum Dex at best, or the original D/P Dex at worst.
— Battle Area removed.
— Dungeons being simplified/removed.
— Nothing new added, and almost everything simplified/removed in a nuthsell.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I hope they allow all current pokémon to appear in the game or at the very least to be traded to the game after the completion of the main storyline. Galar pokémon as well (but perhaps not Gigantamax/Mega etc). It would be..... veeery limiting if they stuck to only the original DPP dex ._.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 21, 2022
Fix the Honey Tree mechanic so that it's actually fun and not a tedious randomized grind where 90% of the time you get absolute garbage like Wurmple, Burmy, male Combee, or literally nothing.

I'm still shocked this isn't talked about more. Heracross is a 1% encounter. Munchlax is a 1% encounter on four trees. And then the only other "Worthwhile" encounters are Aipom, female Combee, and Cherubi (And I am really stretching the definition of "worthwhile" for these 3).

Oh man I forgot about the honey trees. I'm pretty sure I gave up on naturally catching a Heracross or Munchlax in the originals and just hoped I got one from Wonder Trade. I can kinda get the randomised aspect since I guess real life bug catching can be like that, but come on, how does it make sense that Aipom, a monkey, is more common than Heracross, an actual bug?

Anyway to answer the OP question, I'm hoping for the Plat dex and not the super scuffed D/P ones, plus some extra mons. Also echoing other posters about the Distortion World, that was really cool. It would absolutely suck if they released a remade Plat in addition to BD/SP, especially when each game is like 60 dollars now (I still think that price is insane, but Nintendo is apparently sticking to their guns on that).

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
My main concern is something I haven't seen anyone else address: Microtransactions.

The eShop entries for Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl say "Offers In-Game Purchases". Legends: Arceus does not, nor do the Let's Go games, but Sword/Shield do, because they actively push the DLC in-game if you don't have it. So it seems like they are either planning to have DLC again, or they are planning to include microtransactions. If they are planning microtransactions, I would think it would relate to the trainer customization, which was shown to be centralized where the Game Corner used to be.

And wouldn't that be fitting: remove the Game Corner because it references gambling, and replace it with a predatory system that targets the customer's actual wallet?

Years

That's a little disconcerting, but I wouldn't be too concerned just yet. I highly doubt we're going to be seeing anything like predatory lootboxes in a Pokemon game and it's not a game where pay-to-win could feasibly be a thing. At worst it's going to be the option to buy additional customisation or DLC, which I wouldn't rank at all in the same ballpark as actual predatory systems like you see in gacha games or 99% of the things EA ever made.

Other than that, I don't have any real concerns about the games except for the seeming lack of a Battle Frontier, which I can deal with. As for hopes, most of what I'd like to see seems to be happening already. I guess it'd be cool to see some more love given to Giratina since these games will likely be based more on Diamond and Pearl than Platinum. I'd love to see it get the same treatment Rayquaza did in ORAS.

Back