• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

changing the growthrate of my pokemon causes the game to freeze

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
I made a simple fire red rom hack that only replaces the pokemon with fakemon of my own. When I entered the stats of the fakemon I made a mistake with some of the fakemon's growth rate.
So I tried fixing it by simply changing the growth rate of the fakemon, but each time I changed it, when I loaded the rom it froze when I cycled through the pokemon tab to check their stats in the game.
Do you know how can I fix this?
Thanks

Asith

Uwao
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
You can't "fix" the crashing, but if you changed their growth rate, it's also not a problem anymore. The reason your game is crashing is because of your save file, not your pokemon data. The pokemon in your party have an exp amount that now doesn't match up with their new growth rate. That confuses the game and makes it crash. Anyone with a brand new game would be fine though

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
You can't "fix" the crashing, but if you changed their growth rate, it's also not a problem anymore. The reason your game is crashing is because of your save file, not your pokemon data. The pokemon in your party have an exp amount that now doesn't match up with their new growth rate. That confuses the game and makes it crash. Anyone with a brand new game would be fine though

Thanks! but I have one question tho

Why does it happen only now? I've changed the growth rate before and it didn't happen even once.

Asith

Uwao
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Thanks! but I have one question tho

Why does it happen only now? I've changed the growth rate before and it didn't happen even once.

Well, your pokemon have a certain amount of experience points attached to them. The growth rate is a function that defines how many experience points they need at each level. It's actually a very static value for every growth rate. For random instance, growth rate 1 may define 500-1000 exp points as lvl 10. Growth rate 2 may define 500-750 exp points as lvl 10. If you change between these growth rates and the exp points on your pokemon still matches their level, there's no problem. Of course, a lot of the time it won't match up, and your pokemon may end up at growth rate 2, with 1000 exp points, but still being lvl 10. This confuses the game and causes your crash

Back