• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Do You Guys Think this Game Has Potential to be a GameFreak Magnum Opus?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
I do. I'm not too hyped about the open world idea as I wasn't one of the countless of Pokemon fans begging for an open world Pokemon game but I believe the fact that they are utilizing an open world formula can present opportunities for them to build on this as a magnum opus level creation in GameFreaks constantly growing catalog. What do you guys think? I'm trying to not have my expectations be too high but I just have a feeling about this game

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Optimism and hope isn't really my thing, so the possibility that this could be amazing and what the franchise needs isn't something I can believe in personally. But to put my cynicism aside for a second, I don't know how we can really begin to guess whether it could be good or bad when we have so little information about the game available. But that then does mean that, at this point, any of it being great, it being shit, or it being something in-between are all very possible.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
Optimism and hope isn't really my thing, so the possibility that this could be amazing and what the franchise needs isn't something I can believe in personally. But to put my cynicism aside for a second, I don't know how we can really begin to guess whether it could be good or bad when we have so little information about the game available. But that then does mean that, at this point, any of it being great, it being shit, or it being something in-between are all very possible.

One reason I think it will be legendary is because a lot of people were letdown by SwSh more than they were by any mainline PKMN title ever despite how well it sold, so GF/TPC will certainly feel the need to rebound here in a historic way. I feel like there are a lot of people who grew up with PKMN that have even given up on GF/TPC because of how letdown they were with the company's Nintendo Switch debut. Yes, I know Legends Arceus and SwSh are entirely different titles, but you can't glare past the fact that a creator will always expend their best efforts into a creation when (some of the or many) fans have been letdown by their previous one. And that effort might not always translate into an elite product being made, but it at least greatly enhances the chances of it happening. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 29, 2021
I do. I'm not too hyped about the open world idea as I wasn't one of the countless of Pokemon fans begging for an open world Pokemon game but I believe the fact that they are utilizing an open world formula can present opportunities for them to build on this as a magnum opus level creation in GameFreaks constantly growing catalog. What do you guys think? I'm trying to not have my expectations be too high but I just have a feeling about this game

I think this game will be an important inflection point for Pokemon, its either a hit and they make amazing games after this, or it flopps and gamefreaks will go back to what they know and pump out mediocre Pokemon titles until someone buys them out.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
I think this game will be an important inflection point for Pokemon, its either a hit and they make amazing games after this, or it flopps and gamefreaks will go back to what they know and pump out mediocre Pokemon titles until someone buys them out.

I hope the former

pkmin3033

That will depend entirely on who you ask. Personally I would say not - even though we have so little information about the games, going by the release trailer alone it doesn't stand a chance at being considered this because visually it's appalling. It looks to perform just as badly as SnS do - that Chingling animation, my god - and it has a decidedly muddy feel to it. They would need to do a hell of a lot of sprucing for it to approach the kind of visual quality levels we should be seeing of a AAA Nintendo Switch title. Gameplay-wise I can't see it happening either, because if this is going to be a new style of gameplay for Pokemon, they won't get it right the first time. This will be a blueprint for better games to come, much as SnS felt like beta test titles for working on the Switch.

But I think a lot of people will consider this game to be a magnum opus of sorts - if it's the open world Pokemon people have been asking for for years, it'll receive critical acclaim and fandom praise irrespective of its quality. Sword and Shield had a lot of controversy surrounding them, but they still have more than a few fans.

Things like this are an individual value judgement, there is no objective way of classifying a video game, either as a magnum opus or as a complete flop. Opinions are never anything more than opinions. So really, the only way to find out how this game is going to be regarded is to wait for release, play it for yourself, and go talk about it with like-minded people. But don't expect a consensus or an objective measurement, because these things are impossible when it comes to subjective topics like this.

But tl;dr, from what I've seen thus far and based on Game Freak's track record, I do not expect a miraculous recovery from what I see as a steady decline in quality since Generation IV ended, especially if they intend to shake things up a bit. It might be refreshing and a little more engaging, but neither of these things means it will be better, or even good. But it's too early to say either way.

Years
Potential to be? I would like to think so, but I do not think that it WILL be. I never hopped on the bandwagon of freaking out when I saw the graphics a year before its release but I need to see a more up to date trailer before I really get my hopes up.

I don't think they would release a game with that poor of a framrate and all around lacking graphics but Sw/Sh disappointed there and BD/SP don't look super great, either.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
Potential to be? I would like to think so, but I do not think that it WILL be. I never hopped on the bandwagon of freaking out when I saw the graphics a year before its release but I need to see a more up to date trailer before I really get my hopes up.

I don't think they would release a game with that poor of a framrate and all around lacking graphics but Sw/Sh disappointed there and BD/SP don't look super great, either.

GameFreak might make these games for younger kids but the hardcore Pokemon fans that have been playing the games for generations on generations now are well into their 20s and 30s. Many of these older hardcore Pokemon fans didn't seem to be as impressed with SwSh as the younger more casual ones were. And GameFreak recognizes that. So in my opinion Legends Arceus will be a great chance for GameFreak to reel back in the fans that have been here since day 1 who didn't like SwSh as much as those who's first Pokemon experience was SwSh, while simultaneously appealing to the younger audience as well. I think that's very much possible for a AAA company like GameFreak. Simply put. I think this game will scratch the itch for old school Pokemon fans on a level that SwSh obviously didn't

Years
GameFreak might make these games for younger kids but the hardcore Pokemon fans that have been playing the games for generations on generations now are well into their 20s and 30s. Many of these older hardcore Pokemon fans didn't seem to be as impressed with SwSh as the younger more casual ones were. And GameFreak recognizes that. So in my opinion Legends Arceus will be a great chance for GameFreak to reel back in the fans that have been here since day 1 who didn't like SwSh as much as those who's first Pokemon experience was SwSh, while simultaneously appealing to the younger audience as well. I think that's very much possible for a AAA company like GameFreak. Simply put. I think this game will scratch the itch for old school Pokemon fans on a level that SwSh obviously didn't

I don't understand why they don't make the games a bit more heavy and mature since, like you said, so much of the fanbase is older now. I don't know what their market research says but it must indicate that Pokemon is more popular among children because I feel like a more mature take would absolutely crush sales.

Imagine a Pokemon game with actual consequences to your action, character deaths, character relationships, and so on.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
I don't understand why they don't make the games a bit more heavy and mature since, like you said, so much of the fanbase is older now. I don't know what their market research says but it must indicate that Pokemon is more popular among children because I feel like a more mature take would absolutely crush sales.

Imagine a Pokemon game with actual consequences to your action, character deaths, character relationships, and so on.

I would love that. In fact I don't even neccesarily need a difficult Pokemon game. I just want one that isn't mind numbingly easy. HeartGold and SoulSilver had the perfect level of difficulty for me to balance being challenged while still being able to play the game in a relaxed manner.

Years
I would love that. In fact I don't even neccesarily need a difficult Pokemon game. I just want one that isn't mind numbingly easy. HeartGold and SoulSilver had the perfect level of difficulty for me to balance being challenged while still being able to play the game in a relaxed manner.

Do you do any self imposed rules? I pretty much always do set mode, no overlevling, no healing items in battle, and using the same amount of Pokemon as the gym leader. Makes the games difficult but I shouldn't really have to do that to get a good experience.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 9, 2021
Do you do any self imposed rules? I pretty much always do set mode, no overlevling, no healing items in battle, and using the same amount of Pokemon as the gym leader. Makes the games difficult but I shouldn't really have to do that to get a good experience.

No, you shouldn't have to do all that stuff in order to get a good experience, it should naturally be a part of the game. But yes I do that typa stuff sometimes as well. However I usually get so caught up in the collecting aspect of a Pokemon game that I'm no longer fixated on how I'm getting through gyms and battles in general

SadOldMan

Developer/Epic Gamer/Humanoid Entity
Years
I believe sword amd shield was a way to test the reaction on an open wolrd mechanich, being such test the wild area of the game in sword and shield.
I believe game freak was testing how buyers, not fans, but buyers would react to such mechamich being implemented in the game.
Remeber that the pokemon company and gamefreack are corporations, whose main purpose is to earn money not to please two hundrer fans from the thousand that existe that don,t play the game like a hardcore fan or that just play it as a casual game.
Not everyone are looking for a hardcore experience some just want a couple rides before leaving away.
My point is that I think gamefreak was cheking if we would like a mechamich like that.
I think that legends is going to be a good game, I doubt that it,ll be great but a good game for all.

Years
I believe sword amd shield was a way to test the reaction on an open wolrd mechanich, being such test the wild area of the game in sword and shield.
I believe game freak was testing how buyers, not fans, but buyers would react to such mechamich being implemented in the game.
Remeber that the pokemon company and gamefreack are corporations, whose main purpose is to earn money not to please two hundrer fans from the thousand that existe that don,t play the game like a hardcore fan or that just play it as a casual game.
Not everyone are looking for a hardcore experience some just want a couple rides before leaving away.
My point is that I think gamefreak was cheking if we would like a mechamich like that.
I think that legends is going to be a good game, I doubt that it,ll be great but a good game for all.

So, yeah, no shit, GF is out to please their share holders and that is all that they care about so why wouldn't they try to appease as many people as possible? There are way more than "two hundrer fans" who enjoy a more "hardcore" experience, the number, based off of videos of nuzlockes, is in the tens of thousands.

I can't imagine it would be very difficult to add in different game modes and or difficulties that would scale enemy Pokemon, improve AI, have better movesets, be EV trained... people love that shit. I don't think it is good practice to make excuses for shifty capitalist tactics for greedy companies and if these are things people want, they should voice their opinions.

The more people you make happy, the more you will sell, pretty obvious there....

SadOldMan

Developer/Epic Gamer/Humanoid Entity
Years
It might be, but I work on the bussines of game development, and it's very not like that most of the time. The corporations are the ones who desides what will be implemented, and you as programmer have no other option than to obey, or lose your job.
The thing is that most of those desitions are taken through social studies. Where I work the executive department extracts the data from google clicks. And the stadistics are very clear, people like something more or less acroding on the amount of clicks or the time they spent looking for such specific entry in google.
You can check yourself through google analitics and see what are the most searched words, and pages, etc...
My point is that everything we consume ist aimed to be sold thourgh emotional relation, but not any emotional relation, the emotional relation that the biggest buyers have with the product.
In terms on stadistics, the adults and group that has interest in such mechanichs in the Pokemon games don't tend to spend much money, so they will never be an interesting public to please for GF and the Pokemon company.
The little kids that asked to their parents for the game, or the casual player that is usualy a teenager that still lives on his/her parents house are the main public, the ones that invest real tangible money on the product. And, as I said before, in terms of stadistics they are the ones who would like the game.
Obviously GF has interest in long term fans, but not that much, It's bussines after all.

Years
It might be, but I work on the bussines of game development, and it's very not like that most of the time. The corporations are the ones who desides what will be implemented, and you as programmer have no other option than to obey, or lose your job.
The thing is that most of those desitions are taken through social studies. Where I work the executive department extracts the data from google clicks. And the stadistics are very clear, people like something more or less acroding on the amount of clicks or the time they spent looking for such specific entry in google.
You can check yourself through google analitics and see what are the most searched words, and pages, etc...
My point is that everything we consume ist aimed to be sold thourgh emotional relation, but not any emotional relation, the emotional relation that the biggest buyers have with the product.
In terms on stadistics, the adults and group that has interest in such mechanichs in the Pokemon games don't tend to spend much money, so they will never be an interesting public to please for GF and the Pokemon company.
The little kids that asked to their parents for the game, or the casual player that is usualy a teenager that still lives on his/her parents house are the main public, the ones that invest real tangible money on the product. And, as I said before, in terms of stadistics they are the ones who would like the game.
Obviously GF has interest in long term fans, but not that much, It's bussines after all.

Yes, I understand basic economics, what I am saying is they can add EXTRA features to appeal to a wider audience. Bringing in people who feel aliented without alienating anyone already in the fanbase.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 24, 2023
I'm hoping the game is good I never bought Sword and Shield until after the free update was announced even if I did end up buying the DLC I felt that it was a bit empty since so many Pokemon had been cut from the game, but at least they seemed to listen to fans, perhaps that is a bit naive of me to think though. Honestly I look forward to this game more then the DP remakes I just never really wanted remakes of Gen 4, but it is my least favorite generation so perhaps I am biased.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
Years
It'll be interesting to see which way this goes. The reaction to Legends was one of excitement and concern; a lot of people (including myself) are concerned about the visuals and frame rate. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt but when you see beautiful cel shaded worlds like in BOTW and Genshin Impact, it's hard not to feel concerned after that Legends trailer. Here's hoping the next trailer looks better.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 27, 2022
I'm not sure what to expect with this. I can see the story being really engaging but I'm struggling to see how the gameplay will work with this. Can't wait to see more

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I worry a bit that they're rushing the game and that it won't be as great as it could have been if they had added a year to the production time. A few months ago we saw what, pre-alpha fotage? And now they say it will be out early 2022. Um.

Back