The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Pokémon Gaming Central
Help Thread General Questions & Answers Thread

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

View Poll Results: Have you ever found a shiny?
Yes 19 73.08%
No 5 19.23%
Yes, but I lost it! 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2013 (6:01 PM).
so much fail...

Nature: Modest
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sindrie View Post
    For sleep powder/stun I will leave that to butterfree 91% sleep powered is pretty lulzy you can sleep lock the entire game XD also I think you underestimate beedrill and swarm he can sweep entire teams with swarm and x-scissor. I'm not much of a min-maxer or a "hard-core" player I just use what pokemon I like.
    It's quite the opposite. I've used beedrill a lot. All my monotype runs always involved him (well now he just got replaced by vespiquen), so i do know his limits.

Sorry if i sounded pushy, though. I just imagined that Beedrill is your most offensive pokemon in your current team, and it would be wisest to keep him best as that -- an offensive pokemon. Yes, Swarm and X-scissor is the awesome way to go... but you most likely would be dead before that swarm kicks in if you allow an opponent to hit you. He's really squishy, that's what i'm trying to point at. Nonetheless, these are just advices... no need to follow them. You'd enjoy it more if you discovered better movesets on your own, anyway. Happy buzzing! kekeke

Quote:
    but yeah back to ariados I think he will be pretty hard to use for most of the game but I guess with a combo of dig/psychic/pin Missile you can cover a lot of types.
    It will actually be harder to use Ledian XD He's so weak that you'd only take him out to revive others. Try not to rely on Pin Missile, though. With only effectiveness against psychic, grass and dark.. you're better off using another bug pokemon with better speed/bug moves (Psychic types will mostly outspeed Ariados, and him being a bug/Poison type, that means OHKO >_<).

edit: As for butterfree, using Toxic Spikes with beedrill, you cannot sleep/para lock them when they're already poisoned, could you? That was my very point in the previous post.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
    Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
    Old June 30th, 2013 (6:09 PM).
    Eevee breeder and caretaker

Quote:
      Originally Posted by molivious View Post
      It's quite the opposite. I've used beedrill a lot. All my monotype runs always involved him (well now he just got replaced by vespiquen), so i do know his limits.

Sorry if i sounded pushy, though. I just imagined that Beedrill is your most offensive pokemon in your current team, and it would be wisest to keep him best as that -- an offensive pokemon. Yes, Swarm and X-scissor is the awesome way to go... but you most likely would be dead before that swarm kicks in if you allow an opponent to hit you. He's really squishy, that's what i'm trying to point at. Nonetheless, these are just advices... no need to follow them. You'd enjoy it more if you discovered better movesets on your own, anyway. Happy buzzing! kekeke

It will actually be harder to use Ledian XD He's so weak that you'd only take him out to revive others. Try not to rely on Pin Missile, though. With only effectiveness against psychic, grass and dark.. you're better off using another bug pokemon with better speed/bug moves (Psychic types will mostly outspeed Ariados, and him being a bug/Poison type, that means OHKO >_<).

edit: As for butterfree, using Toxic Spikes with beedrill, you cannot sleep/para lock them when they're already poisoned, could you? That was my very point in the previous post.
      I plan on picking up either pinsir or scyther as my heavy hitter. Ledian is pretty bad yeah lol XD but you can give him thunder and ice punch so he can cover more than ariados.
      Old June 30th, 2013 (6:14 PM).
      Random Trainer

Quote:
        I plan on picking up either pinsir or scyther as my heavy hitter. Ledian is pretty bad yeah lol XD but you can give him thunder and ice punch so he can cover more than ariados.
        Ice punch as well as Thunder punch are physical attacks, while Ledian's base attack power is really low....Hence, I don't think Ledian should be included as a physical hitter. Which makes Ledian is better as a special attacker or a support/ baton passer in my opinion. But still, it depends on your preference.
        Old June 30th, 2013 (6:18 PM).
        so much fail...

Quote:
          Well that'd be fun. How about Forretress? He's fun too! (and at least not that OP to make your game too easy. lol)

There's also Paras.. a bug/Grass hybrid, although suffers the same problem as Ariados. Lastly, Yanma? I think you'd love him :P

Old June 30th, 2013 (6:19 PM). Edited June 30th, 2013 by Sindrie.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by JesterLegacy View Post
            Ice punch as well as Thunder punch are physical attacks, while Ledian's base attack power is really low....Hence, I don't think Ledian should be included as a physical hitter. Which makes Ledian is better as a special attacker or a support/ baton passer in my opinion. But still, it depends on your preference.
            WOW thanks for pointing that out for some reason I was thinking he had like 85 attack... he has 35 thats just pathetic lol yeah I might have to rethink using him now XD

Never used Forretress but I may have to change that soon but I have used yanma and love him :3. I have used paras but his evolution is creepy! hes a zombie! lol

kinda related question: is scizor OP earlyish game? like around the 3'rd gym b/c I could do some trading with a friend and get him by the 3rd gym do you think he would blow up the game? I like using strong pokemon and all don't get me wrong :D but I try to avoid "press A to win pokemon" b/c of my attention span of a 3rd grader I will get bored before I beat the game XD

Old June 30th, 2013 (6:33 PM).
            Random Trainer

Quote:
              WOW thanks for pointing that out for some reason I was thinking he had like 85 attack... he has 35 thats just pathetic lol yeah I might have to rethink using him now XD

Never used Forretress but I may have to change that soon but I have used yanma and love him :3. I have used paras but his evolution is creepy! hes a zombie! lol

kinda related question: is scizor OP earlyish game? like around the 3'rd gym b/c I could do some trading with a friend and get him by the 3rd gym do you think he would blow up the game? I like using strong pokemon :D but I try to avoid "press A to win pokemon" b/c of my attention span of a 3rd grader I will get bored before I beat the game XD
              Scizor is good, and I don't think it will ruin the game or makes the game too easy. There are still challenges even if you own a Scizor. I mean, the game won't be blown by simply possessing one Scizor :P

Oh, and if you think the game is too easy to beat, you should totally give the battle frontier a try......
              Old June 30th, 2013 (6:35 PM).
              so much fail...

Quote:
                Which makes Ledian is better as a special attacker or a support/ baton passer in my opinion.
                Most likely so. With Silver Wind and Agility, the results could be really wonderful.

As for Scizor.. hmm.. he has a moveset similar to Scyther's, and the only difference is the Steel - Flying change. I think that's a big difference though, since bugs' main problems is their squishiness. Scizor has speed, bulk and power, on that matter.. which makes him a really tough powerhouse >_<'a Although i suppose it wouldn't be so gamebreaking as compared to, say, a dragon pokemon.

He'd fare well in any situation, and that's probably the best i could describe him with.

I guess it's entirely up to you. But good luck!

Old June 30th, 2013 (6:37 PM).

Quote:
                  Scizor is good, and I don't think it will ruin the game or makes the game too easy. There are still challenges even if you own a Scizor. I mean, the game won't be blown by simply possessing one Scizor :P
                  hahaha ok sorry for the kinda dumb question most of my pokemon years is with the 1st gen and grass type at that I've only recently become a fan of the bug type. I think it would be interesting to try scizor out I have never used him but I have heard from people he is OP.. but odds are they just lost to him a lot and don't like him lol.
                  Old July 1st, 2013 (3:42 AM).
                  Random Trainer

What do you guys think about Exploud? I was thinking of using it, and what should be the most suitable moves for it? (Excluding the breeding method)
                    Old July 1st, 2013 (4:30 AM). Edited July 1st, 2013 by molivious.
                    so much fail...

Quote:
                      What do you guys think about Exploud? I was thinking of using it, and what should be the most suitable moves for it? (Excluding the breeding method)
                      Well, first off, as one of the most versatile pokemon, he can use any offensive move without any problems. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball - you name it; he can use anything really well.

However, you will have to keep an eye out on every physical attacker you fight. If they have a fighting-type move, your Exploud is most probably pooped. His speed is pretty bad, not to mention his defenses. Squishy. That aside, you should have absolutely no problems at all trying to figure out what you want to do with him. He's like a snuggly doll you can dress with any costume!

For his moveset, it's really simple thanks to his stats. You won't have to think about physical/special at all... you only have to look at an attack's raw power and accuracy!
                      - Ground/Fighting/Fire (preferrably: Hammer Arm [egg move] / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Equake)
                      - Ice/Water (Surf / Ice Beam)
                      - STAB move for the others (Uproar / Hyper Voice / Return)
                      - move that covers other types

Ground/Fighting/Fire is mainly to counter Rock/Steel Types - although with an Ice/Water move, you can already take down rocks easily. Rock/Steel types are top mention because your STAB move makes little to no damage against them.

Ice/Water, aside from the mentioned, can help counter Fire, Grass or even the pesky Dragon types.

STAB, for those you could easily kill without type advantages. A lot of Psychic, Dark, Bug and Grass fall here.

Other. This is probably the most important piece to solve your puzzle. This particularly points to the first choice in my list -- If you chose a ground type earlier, then it means pokemon like Skarmory and Bronzong would be a pain for you to battle. In that case, putting Fire Blast in your "Other" category solves that problem. If you chose fighting, again, Skarmory could be a pain... as well as Scizor. Fire Blast shows yet another entrance. Now If you chose Fire Blast and picked Surf in your 2nd slot, then you can insert an Ice type here... or even a psychic type... ANYTHING! Whatever you feel might benefit your team the most could easily go here.

Old July 1st, 2013 (4:57 AM).
                      Random Trainer

Quote:
                        Well, first off, as one of the most versatile pokemon, he can use any offensive move without any problems. Ice Beam, Earthquake, Shadow Ball - you name it; he can use anything really well.

However, you will have to keep an eye out on every physical attacker you fight. If they have a fighting-type move, your Exploud is most probably pooped. His speed is pretty bad, not to mention his defenses. Squishy. That aside, you should have absolutely no problems at all trying to figure out what you want to do with him. He's like a snuggly doll you can dress with any costume!

For his moveset, it's really simple thanks to his stats. You won't have to think about physical/special at all... you only have to look at an attack's raw power and accuracy!
                        - Ground/Fighting/Fire (preferrably: Hammer Arm [egg move] / Brick Break / Fire Blast / Equake)
                        - Ice/Water (Surf / Ice Beam)
                        - STAB move for the others (Uproar / Hyper Voice / Return)
                        - move that covers other types

Ground/Fighting/Fire is mainly to counter Rock/Steel Types - although with an Ice/Water move, you can already take down rocks easily. Rock/Steel types are top mention because your STAB move makes little to no damage against them.

Ice/Water, aside from the mentioned, can help counter Fire, Grass or even the pesky Dragon types.

STAB, for those you could easily kill without type advantages. A lot of Psychic, Dark, Bug and Grass fall here.

Other. This is probably the most important piece to solve your puzzle. This particularly points to the first choice in my list -- If you chose a ground type earlier, then it means pokemon like Skarmory and Magnezone would be a pain for you to battle. In that case, putting Fire Blast in your "Other" category solves that problem. If you chose fighting, again, Skarmory could be a pain... as well as Scizor. Fire Blast shows yet another entrance. Now If you chose Fire Blast and picked Surf in your 2nd slot, then you can insert an Ice type here... or even a psychic type... ANYTHING! Whatever you feel might benefit your team the most could easily go here.
                        Thank you :)
                        Another one, my Exploud's atk right now is around 20-30 points higher than its Sp. Atk. So, should I give it Fire Blast, or Fire Punch?
                        Old July 1st, 2013 (5:03 AM).
                        so much fail...

Quote:
                          Thank you :)
                          Another one, my Exploud's atk right now is around 20-30 points higher than its Sp. Atk. So, should I give it Fire Blast, or Fire Punch?
                          Fire Blast's still a better choice.

and minor correction: Magnezone -> Bronzong. I thought it was Magnezone with the Levitate ability >_< which make ground-type moves useless.

Old July 1st, 2013 (5:12 AM).
                          Random Trainer

Quote:
                            Fire Blast's still a better choice.

and minor correction: Magnezone -> Bronzong. I thought it was Magnezone with the Levitate ability >_< which make ground-type moves useless.
                            Oh, okay, Fire Blast then....Thanks again!
                            Old July 1st, 2013 (3:59 PM).

Ok I have a question: For baby pokemon what level do they evolve for you most of the time?

I ask because I was having trouble getting my budew to evolve early, someone one time told me he got his budew to evolve at like lvl 13 meanwhile it took me all the way to level 30ish and she never fainted once! The issue is that after around level 18 (IIRC) she starts losing moves because she would have learned them as roselia.

(Also I know it's based on friendship I'm just unsure if i'm missing something like how one guy says he evolved her at 13 O.o)

Old July 1st, 2013 (4:38 PM).
                              so much fail...

Quote:
                                Ok I have a question: For baby pokemon what level do they evolve for you most of the time?

I ask because I was having trouble getting my budew to evolve early, someone one time told me he got his budew to evolve at like lvl 13 meanwhile it took me all the way to level 30ish and she never fainted once! The issue is that after around level 18 (IIRC) she starts losing moves because she would have learned them as roselia.

(Also I know it's based on friendship I'm just unsure if i'm missing something like how one guy says he evolved her at 13 O.o)
                                Yup, friendship. A pokemon has a hidden "stat" that represents friendship, and it may increase and be maximized without even leveling up your pokemon once. This explains how your friend got his budew to evolve early - he simply maxed/met the friendship quota earlier than you did.

So yeah, there are several ways to increase it. Using vitamins/some berries, challenging gym leaders, catching a pokemon with a certain pokeball (Luxury ball), grooming/massage, or even by simply walking around! Once max happiness is reached, hit that next level and witness evolution.

It's also important to know that soothe bells boost the effects of mostly all increase by 1.5x

Old July 1st, 2013 (4:51 PM).

Quote:
                                  Yup, friendship. A pokemon has a hidden "stat" that represents friendship, and it may increase and be maximized without even leveling up your pokemon once. This explains how your friend got his budew to evolve early - he simply maxed/met the friendship quota earlier than you did.

So yeah, there are several ways to increase it. Using vitamins/some berries, challenging gym leaders, catching a pokemon with a certain pokeball (Luxury ball), grooming/massage, or even by simply walking around! Once max happiness is reached, hit that next level and witness evolution.

It's also important to know that soothe bells boost the effects of mostly all increase by 1.5x
                                  yeah I just think for level 13 that either he just walked around a ton or is bluffing XD or he has A LOT of cash to spend on vitamins.

Old July 1st, 2013 (5:33 PM).
                                  la justice

Nature: Timid
                                  Some of them need certain times of the day. Budew needs to level up with max friendship in the day to evolve into Roselia, similar to evolving Eevee into Espeon.

some princes don't become kings.
                                  Old July 3rd, 2013 (11:52 AM).

Ok so Im into magic the gathering and my son just recently wanted to get into pokemon. I did used to play about 15 years ago and I remember jungle, and base set etc. My question to anyone (hopefully this is in the right spot and will most likely be the last time I ask any thing of anyone here) is there some sort of format system like in MTG? like legacy, modern, standard etc.? if there is where can I find a list of what sets are allowed in what type of tournyments?
                                    Old July 3rd, 2013 (5:51 PM). Edited July 3rd, 2013 by molivious.
                                    so much fail...

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by combolover View Post
                                      Ok so Im into magic the gathering and my son just recently wanted to get into pokemon. I did used to play about 15 years ago and I remember jungle, and base set etc. My question to anyone (hopefully this is in the right spot and will most likely be the last time I ask any thing of anyone here) is there some sort of format system like in MTG? like legacy, modern, standard etc.? if there is where can I find a list of what sets are allowed in what type of tournyments?
                                      All I know are these formats: Rotation, Modified, and Unlimited.

The equivalent of MTG's "standard" in Pokemon TCG is the Modified format, which only takes a few sets from the current Rotation. That said, Rotation is pretty much equivalent to MTG's 'modern' (and you would have to google the current rotation every now and then for that matter). Unlimited is equivalent to MTG's 'legacy'.

In Unlimited, all previously banned cards (well, officially, I suppose) are not allowed to be used. I'm actually not sure what cards are banned, lol, so you might want to check on those.

It's also been years since I've last touched pokemon TCG, so these comparisons might be off. >_< Feel free to correct me if i was wrong in everything, lol somewhere, or if this piece info is very outdated/incomplete. Well, if all else fails, you could try to search those keywords up the internet for better explanation.

Nonetheless, that's the most accurate way i could think of to make it easier for you to apply MTG's formats into Pokemon's. They're not really much different, eh?

Old July 7th, 2013 (4:03 AM). Edited July 7th, 2013 by Iash654.

So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now. :S
                                        Also, I don't particularly understand the friend code thing, so i wont be able to get half of the legends back to complete the pokedex. What do you guys recommend??

I also have "Inhouse" a copy of diamond (s/l completed) and platinum (no save file yet) however most of the legends of diamond were also cheated in and given to me by the same friend.
                                        Pokemon ...

My Pokemon Fanfic: http://dft.ba/-6pHm
                                        Old July 7th, 2013 (8:54 AM).

So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now.
                                          Also, I don't particularly understand the friend code thing, so i wont be able to get half of the legends back to complete the pokedex. What do you guys recommend??
                                          Pokemon ...

My Pokemon Fanfic: http://dft.ba/-6pHm
                                          Old July 7th, 2013 (8:31 PM).

Nature: Quirky
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Iash654 View Post
                                          So basically, I want to complete the SS nationaldex without having any cheated in pokemon. however most of my legends were cheated in at some point or another in a friend's game that he then traded to me. The thing is, I have completely beaten the story line at this point in the game and restarting isnt going to be the easiest thing to do right now.
                                          If your wi-fi connections are good, I advise checking out the Trade Corner section in this very PokeCommunity forum. Unlike the GTS, which tend to have ridiculous offers like "Level 9 and under (insert Pokemon that cannot legally be that level)" while the Trade Corner is guaranteed to get whatever Pokemon you need.

And Friend Codes are registered when you use the Pal Pad after logging into the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Most members here tend to have them written in their signatures or on their profiles. Click here for more information on Friend Codes.

http://daikenkki.tumblr.com/
                                          Old July 11th, 2013 (10:48 PM).
                                          no more sad songs

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by AnonygooseD View Post
                                          Hey everybody, the first spinoff game I've played was Red Rescue Team, I didn't like it because of its difficult controls & not so cool graphics, but I kinda liked the story...
                                          I then saw screenshots of Gates To Infinity & I liked the graphics a lot, so...
                                          Do you think Gates To Infinity might be the one for me? (please list pros & cons :)
                                          Honestly going from Red Rescue Team to Gates to Infinity is quite a jump. If I were you I'd play Sky/Darkness/Time. It probably has the best features out of all the dungeon games. I haven't played the new games but after reading up about them they work a lot differently to the others. Legends seem to be unavailable to use in your team and can only be battled with downloads. Legends in the other games are recruitable and thus usable.

I think if you're looking for a good storyline (and super long!) go for Sky/Darkness/Time where 492 Pokemon are available (491 for Time/Darkness) the graphics are the same as Red/Blue but imo the graphics are simple and cute. The 3D ones though seem to be better Pokemon-wise though as 5th Gen Pokemon are available.
                                          Old July 19th, 2013 (1:21 PM).
                                          Scald Pokémon

Nature: Mild
                                            Here's a quick question out of curiosity. What HMs are absolutely required to beat each game from Generations 1 to 4? I know that Cut was needed to beat B/W, and Surf for B2W2, but I can't remember the others.
                                            Boilurn, the Scald Pokemon and the evolved form of Hottle. It can burn the holder by the lightest of touches when it boils. It can boil 3 gallons of water in one minute.
                                            Old July 19th, 2013 (1:46 PM).
                                            so much fail...

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Boilurn View Post
                                              Here's a quick question out of curiosity. What HMs are absolutely required to beat each game from Generations 1 to 4? I know that Cut was needed to beat B/W, and Surf for B2W2, but I can't remember the others.
                                              Gen 1 - Surf, Strength, Cut
                                              Gen 2 - Surf, Strength, Cut, Waterfall, Whirlpool (dragon's den)
                                              Gen 3 - Surf, Strength, Waterfall, Dive, Rock Smash
                                              Gen 4 - Surf, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Waterfall

Closed Thread

Quick Reply