• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Police called on Atlanta man for babysitting while black

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
If by "anything backing that up" you mean some sort of data or an academic paper on the matter, no. It's just that it's not crazy to think that the part of the country that historically was the worst when it to came to race relations would still be the worst today given that humanity changes at a snail's pace. Jim Crow only ended about 50 years ago.

Obviously not everyone or everywhere in the south is going to be like that, and you can certainly find places/people in other parts of the country that are like that. But my not unreasonable expectation would be that, in general/on average, there's more of it in that region.

Personal experiences/anecdotes usually mean little by themselves anyway.
Except Jim Crow wasn't a Southern specialty at all. You have black codes to thank for why Baltimore is a huge mess, along with many other cities.

You have provided no basis to believe current year South is more racist than anywhere else in the US, so I can't help but think this is just maligned bias that has no basis in reality. I've lived there, and lived in the North and the West too. My life experience runs to the contrary of that, but I'd like to be shown otherwise.

Years
VisionOfMilotic: Thank you for that little essay you gave us. In case you're wondering, I only see other people, not blacks, not latinos or other such meaningless classifications. We are all humans living under the same skies. And rest assured, the things happening in USA and elsewhere won't make me abandon these ideals no matter what. Trust me, being 'racist' is something that shouldn't exist at all.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Except Jim Crow wasn't a Southern specialty at all. You have black codes to thank for why Baltimore is a huge mess, along with many other cities.

You have provided no basis to believe current year South is more racist than anywhere else in the US, so I can't help but think this is just maligned bias that has no basis in reality. I've lived there, and lived in the North and the West too. My life experience runs to the contrary of that, but I'd like to be shown otherwise.
You haven't exactly provided any basis for your claim either. Like I said before, one person's personal experience isn't really proof of anything. What if I said that I traveled the country too, but my experience was the opposite of yours?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
I wasn't trying to imply it doesn't happen, what I'm trying to say is I don't think it happens at a rate that I think would indicate some kind of widespread cultural problem.

This is the problem with large numbers. As an example, 0.1% of 100,000 is 100, so if the population size is 100,000 and 0.1% of that population are awful human beings, you can find plenty of examples of people in that population being awful human beings without it being what I would consider a widespread issue.

I'm not going to say for certain there is or isn't some greater problem with it because I don't have a dataset to go off of. This is just the conclusion I arrived at based on my personal experiences and the information available to me. Other people could reasonably be presented with the same information and come to a different conclusion because they've had different experiences; I don't think they'd be unreasonable for assuming maybe there was some bigger issue if their experiences led them to a different conclusion. Again, lacking specific, reliable data, it's all just supposition.

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
Add in the fact that video exists and the way the media loves to run theme articles about barbecue Becky and whoever and you can get coverage that makes it seem that there are lots of racists everywhere. The country is huge with a huge population and 10% of those people are guaranteed to be idiots and jerks.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
You haven't exactly provided any basis for your claim either. Like I said before, one person's personal experience isn't really proof of anything. What if I said that I traveled the country too, but my experience was the opposite of yours?
Sure it is. It's anecdotal evidence, which is evidence after all. Why don't you share your experiences so there's a more complete picture to go off of?

Years
Driving while black: ☑
Walking while black: ☑
Babysitting while black: ☑
Asking for directions while black: ☑
Shopping while black: ☑
Having a cookout while black: ☑
Opening the door to your own home while black: ☑
Complying with law enforcement while black: ☑

Alright, so basically what I'm getting from this is that nothing is okay to do as long as I'm black because, knowing my luck, I'll roll a nat one on a bad day and get accused as a thief while walking to work with a hoodie on.

The sad part about things like this is that I expect ONE of these things (including, but not limited to the above and of course being shot) to happen when I walk outside because WeLiveInASociety™.

Last edited:

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
VisionOfMilotic: Thank you for that little essay you gave us. In case you're wondering, I only see other people, not blacks, not latinos or other such meaningless classifications. We are all humans living under the same skies. And rest assured, the things happening in USA and elsewhere won't make me abandon these ideals no matter what. Trust me, being 'racist' is something that shouldn't exist at all.

I know you're saying this as a show of support so just be wary of throwing out labels altogether. Recognizing characteristics of a person that modifies their life experience is actually a good way to reach understanding.

Years
Driving while black: ☑
Walking while black: ☑
Babysitting while black: ☑
Asking for directions while black: ☑
Shopping while black: ☑
Having a cookout while black: ☑
Opening the door to your own home while black: ☑
Complying with law enforcement while black: ☑

Alright, so basically what I'm getting from this is that nothing is okay to do as long as I'm black because, knowing my luck, I'll roll a nat one on a bad day and get accused as a thief while walking to work with a hoodie on.

The sad part about things like this is that I expect ONE of these things (including, but not limited to the above and of course being shot) to happen when I walk outside because WeLiveInASociety™.

At least I'm glad such nonsense would never fly in Europe. Sure, racist stuff might happen from time to time but at least they're an exception.

Back