• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokkén Tournament Sequel?

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
I know that both Pokkén Tournament and Pokkén Tournament DX for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch, respectively, have sold at least one million units worldwide, making them as best-selling video games, while its arcade version was commercial failure. So, do you think that both the Wii U and deluxe Nintendo Switch version will achieve its sequel? If not, please tell me why not? Thanks.

Years
Are they really best selling? or did you mean best selling at the time?

Perhaps I'm wrong here and maybe there's an active tournament scene for those games still, but I've always thought Pokken Tournament mostly had a niche fanbase and that was essentially it. Any sort of sequel would probably garner similar fanfare from a similar demographic, only for it to dwindle within like a year or two of the game's release.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I love these games a lot, but if we're being 100% honest....no. I hope I'm wrong. Neither had exceptionally large competitive scenes and Deluxe only got 2 dlc characters before falling out of relevancy.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2021
I meant both Wii U and Switch versions of Pokkén Tournament are really best-sellers at the time worldwide. Let me ask you a question again: So do you think that it will receive its sequel? Why or why not?

Years
It's not on the Nintendo Switch Bestsellers list. If it was at some point, it's definitely not anymore. You could make an argument that the reason this isn't the case anymore is because over the years since DX's release, there have been newer, more exciting games, but I think it goes to show the niche popularity that Pokken Tournament has. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has held on pretty strong for about 2 years now, so it stands to reason that the long-term appeal of Pokken Tournament DX is probably in question.

This is all to say that I'm still very much unsure whether the games will see some sort of sequel in the future. Anything can happen, so I'm hesitant to say that they won't, but it seems unlikely.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Online now
Pretty sure by best-seller, it's best-seller at the time of release. Supposedly both the Wii U and Switch versions of the game sold the most units in their first week compared to everything else released around that time. But combined they've only sold about 2.5-3.0 million total as far as I can tell, which compared to the really big number makers, is not really a shitload.

Will it get a sequel though? I don't know, hard to tell. Depends on if they feel it's a worthwhile investment to make one (the one and only priority any company has is to generate as much profit as possible). While the total sales figures themselves aren't exactly impressive, there's more to it than that, as plenty of games/series that get sub-5 million sales still get sequels. Maybe the total sales numbers are acceptable to them? Were the profits acceptable to them? Or perhaps they feel that they could make a sequel that would do really well? How many people are still actively playing and talking about the game? There's likely other potential reasons that could influence their decision to make/not make a Pokken sequel.

So I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Years
I've never played, but do want to see a sequel for the battle models and animations. Been looking at them recently and find they do a good job at bringing some Pokémon to life, especially when compared with some of the (in my opinion) mediocre attack animations in main series games.

Actual gameplay-wise though, I've little interest in a sequel, since I've never been good at fighting games. It doesn't seem likely for reasons pointed out by above posters already. =(

Back