• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What game made the most of the bottom screen?

Bug

[b][color=white][font=Luminari]can't talk. i'm shi
Years
What DS pokemon game do you think had the best bottom screen functions? I think my vote is for DPP with the pokewatch. So. Many. Screens. But I also loved the features in X and Y and I wish they had kept them around in some form. I'm glad pokemon amie still exists in the latest games. What are your guys' thoughts?

Bonus, what game(s) do you think did the worst job making use of it?

Last edited:
Years
my personal favourite gadget will always be the poketch but honestly, I don't think I've messed with the bottom screen as much as I have until Gen VI, likely due to pokemon-aime and super training.

Reactions: Bug
Years
In Gen IV and V I've only ever used bottom screen for Dowsing Machine. But starting with Gen VI, I've used it more. Either for Pokémon-Aime, Super Training, online stuff and such. In ORAS I've used it even more with DexNav, PlayNav and BuzzNav. Sadly it became useless map in Gen VII games. What's the point of a map that you can't even see because it is talking to you?

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
I would say Gen IV, all of it.

D/P/Pt, has the pokétch which is quite useful, and HG/SS had the pause menu at the bottom screen, again, used quite frequently.

Years
I enjoyed using the DexNav every once and a while in ORAS, but honestly I was just happy with how HGSS used it as an options screen. I never really think about the bottom screen 90% of the time I'm playing, so it was nice to have that quick navigation without having to press an extra button.

icycatelf

Alex
Years
As much as I love the games, I'm surprised that people enjoy the HGSS's lower screen. The menu on the top screen never bothered me, so I always thought it was a waste that the PokéGear didn't get a treatment similar to the Pokétch.

ORAS clearly made the most use of its lower screen, but it was a bit of a mess.

Last edited:

Bug

[b][color=white][font=Luminari]can't talk. i'm shi
Years
HGSS had an auto run feature and two registered item buttons. Very useful.

The auto run was a true blessing. Glad they sort of renewed it in X and Y with roller skates. Also glad they kept expanding how many registered items you could have. I agree with Brendino that it wasn't the best, but I think it was a gateway to the functionality we have in today's games.

Years
HGSS had a good use of the bottom screen. the bag was a touch away and the auto-run was useful. especially for grinding

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
I'm gonna say for me 100% ORAS, with the Dexnav and the trainer rematch notification. I really appreciate gen 7's use of the touchscreen for Pokemon refresh as well, which was a huge improvement on pokemon amie (even though I missed the mini games)

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jun 5, 2023
Pearl in my case was put to good use, especially with the Underground and the Battle Tower

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
Gen VI by far. The PSS, Super Training, and Pokemon Amie are all very good features.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
ORAS absolutely had the best, combining the touch-screen pinnacle PSS with the Dex Nav. All other games made clever use of theirs, save for gen 7. Not only did they remove the two best things to happen to the touch-screen--nay, the series since the DS's myriad capabilities--but they replaced it with a map that, as already mentioned, doesn't even work because it's too busy talking to you about things you already know.

Last edited:
Back