• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen What would you change/add in FR/LG?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pokemon LeafGreen and FireRed were respectable remakes of the origional Red, Blue, and Yellow games in terms of music and graphics updating. The gameplay and atmosphere of the region however, some call it a mixed bag: some people enjoyed it, some people thought it was boring, and other comments.

That being said, did you feel that the FireRed and LeafGreen games needed more of an overhaul? If so, what would you of changed, or added to the region to suit your interest? How would what you've added enhanced the region, or your overall enjoyment of the games?

Feel free to share any thoughts or ideas!

Years
  • Age 23
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
If nothing else, a physical special split. That's the biggest flaw this game has in my opinion. Also, add pokemon with evolutions in different dex's (i.e. Crobat) into the Kanto dex, having some evolutions blocked until the national dex really sucked and it's something that was allowed in HGSS and ORAS.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
The regions could use more than graphical updates to the latest system and game mechanics updated. Such as more areas in Kanto would be nice. Maybe redesign some maps. Like the dungeons and routes.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
FRLG were remakes of Red/Blue, not Yellow. Rival got Eevee in Yellow, not a Kanto starter and Gym Leader teams and moves were different(not withstanding the Generation 3 changes in moves, abilities and natures). I haven't played the Generation 3 remakes but from what I've read, Sevii Islands is hardly an improvement. Furthermore, you can't import Generation 3 Pokemon until you complete it. To me, you should be allowed to use w/e Pokemon you want if it exists at the time. I understand they wanted to make it feel like a Kanto game(and not Johto or Hoenn) but if they exist, a player should be allowed to use them.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
let us become a part of Team Rocket

everybody's always wanted to be part of the villains

Years
I would like to see things that were in Gen II and weren't in FR/LG. Day/Night split, headbutting trees, more Pokéballs, not limiting us to original 151 Pokémon - it worked in HGSS and ORAS afterall (that brings out the question why they're going back to 151 in LGPE).

Maybe even adding something to the story just like already mentioned HGSS and ORAS did.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
*cough*Needed more MissingNo.*/COUGH*

Also, the music could of been remixed better. Some of those tunes made my ears bleed a little! :/

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Not much. I like that they kept most of the simplicity. Considering that it's the Pokémon game I like to replay the most, I guess they did something right for the most part.

I guess I would fix most bugs and mistakes they made (like Giovanni having his signature Rhydon again), and add a few things like: make an event for Mew, rematches with the gym leaders, physical/special split, make Johto available (or all of its Pokémon)...

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I wish they did a full Orange Islands... rather then Sevii.
- But then again.. i'm thinking in the respect of Alolah, being part of Orange Islands, which technically didn't exist in the minds of GF back then. xD

Despite the fact that it's technically NOT A POKEMON... I Really Wish they left MissingNo in (at least on Cinnabar's East Coast) and made it into a valid Pokemon. Eh, maybe GF was just too ashamed of that 1st Gen oversight.. but I still think it would have been pretty cool if they did it as a laugh against themselves!.. doesn't even have to duplicate items either, just simply have it there. xD

I personally have no problem the original graphics and sprites in it, I was impressed with that part of the remake when it first came out! .. I also liked the music in it, but then I'm a nostalgia freak. xD

It would have been nice if FR/LG had trade function between R/S/E to obtain Hoenn Pokemon prior to getting national dex... but I guess I can take that one with a grain of salt.

It would have been nice if it had Johto Pokemon added to "new" Kanto region also, but I guess I can take that with a grain of salt too.

Otherwise, I was pretty pleased with that remake as a whole. :)

... But they should have done a Yellow remake also, when it came to that particular set. Q.Q

Last edited:
Years
As others have said, Missingno as an actual Pokemon would have been awesome! Maybe if you have a Missingo on your team a sidequest could happen related to Missingo or something as well. I hope one day we see an official Missingo xD.

I would have rather seen Johto than the Sevii Islands, although the Sevii islands were good fun.

A normal Battle Tower in addition to the Trainer Tower would have been nice., Even if it was just a duplicate of the R/S one, it would be fun to attempt it with your FR/LG Pokemon without having to trade.

Some following Pokemon would have been good, maybe the starters and Pikachu.

TMs and Move Tutors (for the games that have them) should have been re-usable right from Gen 1 anyway, but it's worth a mention.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 21, 2022
1. Add gyms. Mostly because this isn't Gen 1 anymore and because there's the space and narrative for it. If not this, then Johto prequel.

Mainly just four extra gyms. Make these different types based on version just to make them unique experiences. This would most likely be either post-game to make the Sevii Islands worth it, or during to actually make the games feel livelier and less like a bland port. Fighting is that dojo and Ghost in Lavender.

FR would have Fighting, Ice and Steel
LG would have Rock, Ghost and Dark

2. Change Koga to a Dark/Poison gym. Ninjas are known for their trickery and underhanded methods. Why would Koga or Janine be above such a type anyways, especially when the Pokemon used by Rocket are either Normal or bugs?

3. Allow evolution of post gen 1 during mid-game as an expanded Pokedex as an achievement.

4. Use Adventures and the classic series as inspiration to revamp the story. Kanto is the blandest region because it's very much a prototype, even in the remake. Make Gary an integral part of the plot, use Blue from the manga as a secondary rival, etc. I believe the tournament-esque version of the Pokemon League championship in the original Kanto and Johto series is far more interesting than what the games did. Just have the Elite Four as the final contestants aside from the previous winner which would greatly enhance the game.

There. Another plot thread to have Team Rocket try to foil.

5. Reference Johto. The Gen 1 games get off because they're the first. Not the remakes. There's enough hindsight that allows for the new game to have it be referenced and alluded to, if not a part of the story itself. While a Gen II-esque exploration of Johto might not work, it could because we could see the gym leaders before Falkner and Whitney, if they're the same type, etc. The legendaries were in FRLG anyways, so it's not like there was a care for continuity anyways.

6. Make the Sevii Islands either a superior post-game or integral to the story. Give them gyms, make them a part of the overall Rocket arc. Do something neat that makes them fun to work with. Make them connect to Johto somehow and thus, lead into that league as a prequel to HGSS.

Last edited:
Back