• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doom Chaos

I don't have a title
Years
Yo, currently hacking Pokemon Emerald and I'd like to do the following: change Wallace's battle theme (which is currently the champion theme) to the Regi's encounter theme. I'm not sure which tool I'm supposed to use for this. Help?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Yo, currently hacking Pokemon Emerald and I'd like to do the following: change Wallace's battle theme (which is currently the champion theme) to the Regi's encounter theme. I'm not sure which tool I'm supposed to use for this. Help?

Most likely, a hex editor. Battle themes are not fun things to play with. You should find someone who knows a lot about music hacking.

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
I have a problem... How can I repeat the start of Dragon Claw's animation?
This is the animation's code i would repeat:
Spoiler:

According to what I found in the tutorial of Chaos Rush, when the attack crashes you can end its animation and put another after it... But I can't repeat twice that animation!

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
Please help!

When i import my front pokemon sprite with unlz.gba, it goes alright.
But when i import my back pokemon sprite with unlz.gba, when i test it ingame, the palette gets automatically messed up, any helps?

Please help!

But when i import my back pokemon sprite with unlz.gba, when i test it ingame, the palette gets automatically messed up, any helps?

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Please help!

Please help!

The front sprite uses normal palettes and the backsprite (in unlz.gba) uses the shiny palette. When you import a new sprite, you are changing the palette (even if it's the same image, you're changing around which color goes first in the palette order) so instead of "blue green orange yellow" it becomes "yellow orange green blue"-- all of the blues in the original become yellow, all of the green's become orange, etc. even if the same colors were used.

There are other tools out there that specifically specialize in inserting front and back sprites (Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor, for example) and unlz.gba tends to mess up people when it comes to palettes.

karatekid552

Years
I have a problem... How can I repeat the start of Dragon Claw's animation?
This is the animation's code i would repeat:
Spoiler:

According to what I found in the tutorial of Chaos Rush, when the attack crashes you can end its animation and put another after it... But I can't repeat twice that animation!

So, you cut the animation out to the point that it crashes. Now, did you remove the byte that caused it to crash? That could be your problem. Remove that byte and then duplicate the animation and see how it goes.

Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2014
My guess is that there isa second pallete. Keep looking in VBA's pallete editor as there is probobly one pallete for the bag and one for the grass.

Yes, probably there's a second palette...but neither bg nor obj are good for grass...where can i find a third palette?

karatekid552

Years
Yes, probably there's a second palette...but neither bg nor obj are good for grass...where can i find a third palette?

Go into the tile viewer and find the grass. Then look and see if it gives a number for "pal". Hopefully, this will be shown and it is the pallet row (if the top row is 0) in VBA. I'll give it a look also.

Edit:
Never mind, it doesn't tell which pallet. However, I believe it to be pal #1 (if the top row is 0) in the bg pallets. So, open up the memory viewer to the location of the pallet and search for those bytes in a hex editor.

Last edited:

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
For this question I have to do an example...
I have Dragon Claw's animation code:
Spoiler:

How can I remove the claw's animation, that is the same of crush claw? I tried to find the same code of crush claw, but there isn't... How can I do this...?

karatekid552

Years
It's a terrible palette with 8 identical yellow ad a couple of green :(

is there a way to change it?

Here is how you change a pallette that you see in VBA. Each color is two bytes. So, make note of the memory location of the first pallet. In this case, it is 0x05000020. Now, open up the VBA memory viewer and go to that offset. Type the next 0x20 (32 dec) bytes you see in the memory viewer into the search function in HxD and search for them. Sorry, no copy amd paste in the memory viewer. Then, the location of the first byte of your pallet is the location of pallette in APE.

I just found the pallette myself, however I will put it in a spoiler so you can cross check it yourself. Find it on your own, don't cheat!
Spoiler:

Now, open up that location in APE and edit it!

For this question I have to do an example...
I have Dragon Claw's animation code:
Spoiler:

How can I remove the claw's animation, that is the same of crush claw? I tried to find the same code of crush claw, but there isn't... How can I do this...?

Well, from what I have seen, we don't know a ton about graphic movement on the screen. However, my best guess would be to find the graphic for the claw in unLz and make note of the offset. Take that offset and turn it into a pointer and see if that pointer is in your animation. If it is, then that is definitely the section which has the claw animation. Remove that section and play around with the sections around it until it works.

Last edited:
Years
err... someone can help me out?

My roms is always freezing when it tried to evolving Pokemon, it seems that there are somethings wrong with the routine(i don't know though..), or maybe something else..

any suggestion what i should do? maybe inserting new evolution routine? or just fix the existing one? please help D:

karatekid552

Years
err... someone can help me out?

My roms is always freezing when it tried to evolving Pokemon, it seems that there are somethings wrong with the routine(i don't know though..), or maybe something else..

any suggestion what i should do? maybe inserting new evolution routine? or just fix the existing one? please help D:

I've got you bro. Now, are we dealing specifically with items, or evolutions in general? There are three different but similar evolution routines. One for items, one for level up, and one for trading.

95gemello7

MrGarroz
Years
Well, from what I have seen, we don't know a ton about graphic movement on the screen. However, my best guess would be to find the graphic for the claw in unLz and make note of the offset. Take that offset and turn it into a pointer and see if that pointer is in your animation. If it is, then that is definitely the section which has the claw animation. Remove that section and play around with the sections around it until it works.

I find out that offset in unLz, but there isn't the pointer in the animation code... So i achieved to repeat twice that first part of Dragon Claw... My problem now is this: how can I delete the orange/red coloration assumed by the Pokémon after it used Dragon Claw?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
HEY... y cant I checkitem...

none of my checkitem scripts work... it acts like I have the item... even if I dont...

I made a new item (its a land deed) its item 0x15B

so I have a script
checkitem 0x15B 1
if == jump 0xwherever

it just jumped without checking :( (cause i did not have the item at the time)

is there something wrong with my layout?
I even tried
if true jump 0xwherever
and got the same result

karatekid552

Years
I find out that offset in unLz, but there isn't the pointer in the animation code... So i achieved to repeat twice that first part of Dragon Claw... My problem now is this: how can I delete the orange/red coloration assumed by the Pokémon after it used Dragon Claw?

My best advice: just delete things until you know what does what. The animation will most likely run in order (why wouldn't it) so if you want to delete the last thing that happens, remove the last set of instructions. Just play with it until it works.

HEY... y cant I checkitem...

none of my checkitem scripts work... it acts like I have the item... even if I dont...

I made a new item (its a land deed) its item 0x15B

so I have a script
checkitem 0x15B 1
if == jump 0xwherever

it just jumped without checking :( (cause i did not have the item at the time)

is there something wrong with my layout?
I even tried
if true jump 0xwherever
and got the same result

Checkitem stores the result on 0x800D (Lastresult). So, you need to compare LASTRESULT 0x1. Then you can use the if command.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2013
The front sprite uses normal palettes and the backsprite (in unlz.gba) uses the shiny palette. When you import a new sprite, you are changing the palette (even if it's the same image, you're changing around which color goes first in the palette order) so instead of "blue green orange yellow" it becomes "yellow orange green blue"-- all of the blues in the original become yellow, all of the green's become orange, etc. even if the same colors were used.

There are other tools out there that specifically specialize in inserting front and back sprites (Wichu's Advance Sprite Editor, for example) and unlz.gba tends to mess up people when it comes to palettes.
You mean that if i insert my stuff with wichu's sprite editor the palette will not get messed up? ill test it later, thanks for your help!

Not working, can you tell me how do i fix the pallette or a working and tested video on how to fix this problem?

And if someone else wants to help me with this

Please help!

Last edited by a moderator:

karatekid552

Years
your an amazing soul....

i was afraid I would run out of flags... but tis will save me several.

If you run out of flags, I have a risky, but worth it solution. Just let me know if you do.

You mean that if i insert my stuff with wichu's sprite editor the palette will not get messed up? ill test it later, thanks for your help!

Not working, can you tell me how do i fix the pallette or a working and tested video on how to fix this problem?

And if someone else wants to help me with this

Please help!

Please, never use that giant text again. Please. Also, the pallette is messed up because they both share a pallette. A much better way to do it would be to use GIMP and index them both with the same pallette before insertion. An even easier way, just use Wichu's Sprite Editor: The Advance Series. It does the pallettes for you and will also do shiny pallettes very easily.

Edit: I see you've already used Wichu's but your giant text prevented me from seeing the first part of your message. No kidding. Give it another try. The problem is that your images will have to share the same pallette before going into Wichu's sprite editor.

Last edited by a moderator:

trafalgar

FireBlast
Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2015
As the title suggests I have a big problem with the program vba sdl h.
The problem is that it did not create the trace file while performing the steps right.
I hope some of you can help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back