The PokéCommunity Forums Entertainment & Media Anime & Manga
Event Anime Contract Challenge 2018: Sign up for round 6!

Anime & Manga Here fans of the popular Japanese entertainment can have their hey day; think of it as a little slice of Akihabara.

Old May 8th, 2018 (10:20 AM).
Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstick Vogue View Post
I'm giving you sci-fi. You can have AKB0048 or Terra e... depending on your mood.
I'll go with the latter; I tried the former a while back and couldn't really get on with it. I've never even heard of Terra e, so should be interesting.

You can choose between Vividred Operation and Death Parade~
Old May 8th, 2018 (11:06 AM).
thick steamy gunpla resin

Nature: Modest
    Funnily enough I've started both of those shows but decided to wait for bluray versions (for slightly different reasons). Will probably enjoy whichever one I watch.

I loved AKB. I liked them from the off but they were more about payoff or finales. I love the Macross series too though, so maybe his stuff just clicks with me.
    Old May 8th, 2018 (8:57 PM).

OK...then you can choose between Noein and Sailor Moon Crystal. Pretty sure both of those have bluray versions at this point. xD;

Already watched the first episode of Terra e. It seems...interesting. Although god almighty, that animation. I found a dub as well, which is nice...kind of. The sound quality isn't too great. Going to stick with it, though.
    Old May 9th, 2018 (4:43 AM).

Oh that's not what I was getting at. They have bds now, I'd just forgotten about them. I'll most likely be going with Death Parade.

It has it's flaws but Terra e is absolutely an under watched gem (both series and 1980 film). I can only assume it suffered from airing in such a monster season.
      Old May 9th, 2018 (4:57 AM).

Ohhh, my mistake. Nevermind then, stick with Death Parade. xD

That is a pretty monster season...I didn't really start watching anime in earnest until around 2009 or so either, so it's not a surprise I've never heard of it.
      Old May 15th, 2018 (7:51 AM).
      ~Calamity Trigger~

Nature: Serious
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by doge View Post
        hi, please enjoy high school fleet, or don't enjoy it, whichever you prefer

here is my mal, i await your spectacular choice in anime
        Sorry for not responding for a while! Again, stuff and being lazy and people using the computer. Hmm...it seems you have not watched Pop Team Epic yet. Welp, time to change that!
        Old May 23rd, 2018 (6:08 AM).

Nature: Adamant
        Spoiler:
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
        Yeah, go on then. May as well.
        Quote:
        :D
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by doge View Post
        present
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
        In. I'll start May's show on time this time.
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
        I'm in oh dear
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Zemanahrad View Post
        I originally wanted to skip one month because of exams, but screw it, I'm in!
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by aeternum View Post
        I ended up getting sidetracked this past month by playing .hack gu almost every day after work and getting nothing else accomplished, but this month should be different. Let me try again.
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by GanguEevee View Post
        First off, I'M SORRY FOR NOT DOING MY THING LAST MONTH I REALLY AM
        School is a thing and I've been on a Fate craze lately. Also I've been playing a lot of games on mobile and stuff. I'm fine for this month, even if school is gonna be even more of a pain because I have to do Regents Prep and even if there are a bunch of anime that I want to watch this season.

You have roughly a week left guys.
        Old May 25th, 2018 (2:21 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
        I got KonoSuba which was on my to-watch list for a long time, so I binge-watched it few days ago. Not sure if it was what I expected it to be, but I enjoyed it.
        Old May 25th, 2018 (10:26 PM).

I got Speed Grapher, and not going to lie I've only gotten through two episodes. I'm not really expecting I'll go much further. The animation and soundtrack are average and so far the story and characters are completely lacklustre. It seems to be one of those shows that relies on shock value to make up for any actual content.
        Old May 26th, 2018 (8:03 PM).
        Banned

Nature: Hasty
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by gimmepie View Post
        I got Speed Grapher, and not going to lie I've only gotten through two episodes. I'm not really expecting I'll go much further. The animation and soundtrack are average and so far the story and characters are completely lacklustre. It seems to be one of those shows that relies on shock value to make up for any actual content.
        I could not disagree with you more.
        Old May 26th, 2018 (10:34 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Enpatsu Shakugan View Post
        I could not disagree with you more.
        To each their own then. I might come back to it later and see if I can push through the early episodes to when the plot starts picking up maybe. For now though, can't say I liked it.
        Old May 26th, 2018 (10:37 PM).
        Banned

Nature: Hasty
        Quote:
        To each their own then. I might come back to it later and see if I can push through the early episodes to when the plot starts picking up maybe. For now though, can't say I liked it.
        I literally never say this about anime, but it's different in Speed Grapher's case: the English dub actually adds a lot more to it, IE, it's better.

The Japanese version is a bit flat, apart from the war flashbacks that are all in English, Wvhch is pretty memorable.
        Old May 26th, 2018 (11:39 PM).
        Not Suitable For All Ages

Nature: Naughty
        Speed grapher definitely gets better with time.

I wrapped up Noragami Aragato a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it, but... I'm not sure that it actually needed the whole second season to show what was left. It felt quite sluggish to me at various points. The same amount of information could have probably gotten across and been presented better in one or two movies.
        Old May 27th, 2018 (2:40 AM).

I've not seen Speed Grapher yet but somebody I trust a lot with anime loves it so it's probably good.

Finished Death Parade last night and in general it was pretty tight. Felt like it missing an arc at the end though, something to show if the Decim experiment pays off and if any sort of reform comes from it. It did seem to be building towards something more than just a cute smile.
          Old May 27th, 2018 (6:24 AM).
          Appyh Ctobero

Quote:
          Ohohoh. Ohoh. Yeah, basically.

Speed Grapher was one of two shows I watched when I was younger just add some random shows to my repertoire. To its credit, it's villain is pretty good mostly thanks to the sympathy that the viewer will feel towards them. As far as dub vs. sub goes, IIRC I watched it dubbed and the camp gay landlord was easily my favorite thing about it, otherwise I don't know that it's substantially better/worse but, honestly, the show isn't really that substance filled to begin with, you weren't exactly missing much. Especially with that ending that I'm sure the writer thought was deeper than it was.

That said, gun girl is easily the best character in the show. The lengths she goes to to get some dick are hilarious and it was always pretty enjoyable to watch because of that, especially as it progressed. Only other thing you missed out on was the second ending theme since show's endings are both pretty stellar, both in artwork and in song, and I still listen to them. It's good stuff.

Quote:
          Finished Death Parade last night and in general it was pretty tight. Felt like it missing an arc at the end though, something to show if the Decim experiment pays off and if any sort of reform comes from it. It did seem to be building towards something more than just a cute smile.
          If you ever get around to it, be sure to watch Death Billiards. It's a one-shot OVA that works as a sort of pilot to the series (I believe it was made for a film festival a few years before the show's release), and it's absolutely fantastic. Fits right into the middle-ish of the series and, if it'd been in the show, would've been the best episode by far and away, I think, anyways.

Give it a look if you're still interested, it gives some context to a few things that happen near the end, which is pretty cool in hindsight.

I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
          Old May 27th, 2018 (6:45 AM).

I've watched three episodes of Terra e...I've been kinda busy. I'll make it my next month's target too. I found it dubbed, which was nice, and it interested me enough that I at least feel bad about not having time for it at the moment. xD;
          Old May 31st, 2018 (11:21 AM).
          ~Calamity Trigger~

Nature: Serious
            Sorry for not responding in a while! When Regents is coming very soon and you basically have to do Regents prep in certain classes in addition to it being really hot...yeah. I was able to watch at least one episode of High School Fleet and even though it was just one, I think I'm already pretty interested in it.

First thing that made me interested was how this series was advertised...it was basically being advertised as seemingly as a 'cute girls doing cute things' anime...even though it was an anime about a crew of cute young military high school girls doing battleship combat all the while trying to survive. In fact, these quotes from TV Tropes can tell you a whole lot more than I could:

'Promotional material made a point of avoiding ever suggesting that warships might be involved in any way. to the point of only ever calling the series "Hai-Furi" and even creating a different logo for promotional purposes. To show just how deep the bait-and-switch went, the production released a pre-air Drama CD featuring Mike and Moka, intimating that the two childhood friends would be in the same class together. Then Episode 1 rolls around, and its revealed that not only are the two not in the same class, they're not even assigned to the same ship. The bait-and-switch went even further when some promotional facade posters not depicting any ship were replaced the very day Episode 1 aired by new posters that did depict the ships.'

Seriously. That's psyducking insane. It's still actually pretty popular, but still. The second thing that made me pretty interested while watching was that the entire main crew of the series all have unique designs and personalities. Yeah, not all of them are gonna have a lot of screen-time with the exception of the main part of the crew, but that's still cool. I do want to talk more about this, but I want to get this thing out quick. Again, sorry for not saying anything until now.

Oh, and I want in for June too. Vacation next month, anime every day hooo!
            Old June 1st, 2018 (3:12 PM). Edited June 1st, 2018 by doge.
            ???

I remember watching the first episode of Pop Team Epic back when it first launched and I wasn't exactly encouraged to watch more. I've gotten to the halfway point of the show this time around, although I've primarily been only watching the first broadcasts. It's definitely more interesting in that I haven't felt bored yet while watching it and it's gotten a laugh out of me a few times already, the shogi scene, in particular, comes to mind.

I'm looking forward to what the second half of it brings. I'm also slightly less confused as to why a friend of mine that hasn't watched much anime aside from Jojo dubs and Pokemon ended up liking the show so much.
            Old June 5th, 2018 (2:32 AM).

Spoiler:
            Quote:
            I'm in (even though next to nobody actually watched their shows last time).
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
            I am in and will watch!! but please, since I am busy: preferably a show with 13 or less episodes, but if you really must, 24-25 episodes is also doable
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
            I have no self control (so yeh count me in)
            Quote:
            Hmm...this sounds interesting. Sure, why not!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by purplecicada View Post
            (I was put on the list beforehand but here’s my official ‘in’ post)
            Yeah, I’m interested in this. I wanna watch some more anime so here’s hoping!
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by aeternum View Post
            you know im down
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by donavannj View Post
            Hopefully everyone comes close to completing their contracts.

I would have signed up, but my next month leaves little room for completing any contracted anime because I have at least one work trip on the cards.
            Quote:
            I...actually didn't. But I decided to make one while typing this out. Of course, the list is not complete, but I'm gonna try to add all the ones that I have seen and stuff.

Also, sorry for not responding until now! Other people were using the computer and I was sleeping and stuff.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Zemanahrad View Post
            I'm in too.
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
            me
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Meyneth View Post
            I'll sign up this time, I think. Still struggling =x

Time for the next round. Any takers?
            Old June 5th, 2018 (3:43 AM).

Yeah. I'll try and smash through my show during the first week as I know I'll not watch much during world cup month.
              Old June 5th, 2018 (5:46 AM).
              ???

me again hello
              Old June 5th, 2018 (9:15 PM).
              Not Suitable For All Ages

Nature: Naughty
              you can count me in again
              Old June 5th, 2018 (10:52 PM).

in

gonna power through may's tonight as it's actually on my "I've been meaning to watch this for ages" list, tho.
              Old June 6th, 2018 (1:45 AM).

I think I'll skip this month. I know I won't have much time and couldn't probably fit anime into it. But I wish good titles to everyone else.
              Old June 6th, 2018 (11:41 PM).

looks like we're in for a quiet one this month.

Quick Reply