• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GoGo's MEGA-HUGE Sappy Tutorial

Did This Tutorial Help You At All?

• Yes

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I Didn't Read It Yet

Votes: 30 29.1%

• Total voters

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
A really good 'voice offset' is the champions battle 0x498878. It has a lot of direct soundtracks in it.

It might save some time for people with importing different samples.

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Is there a piano instrument for FR?

I don't get the Edit voice table part on my sappy.
I keep changing all square 1 to direct sound, but there is just too many!

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Is there a piano instrument for FR?

I don't get the Edit voice table part on my sappy.
I keep changing all square 1 to direct sound, but there is just too many!

Not all, just the one you need. If you press the dropdown here:
pic2forTUT_zps6a2aab95.png

And you see the number all the way to the left to the track, it says the instrument you need to change. Also the Piano is in many FR songs so just look for it and copy the data.

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Where could I get a sample?
the wav file?

No need to, like gogotech said it's inbuilt in the game, the piano is instrument 1:

Multi sample

Address 1: 0x048A508
Address 2: 0x04A3054

If you are looking for a wave file just google "piano wav. sample" or something like that. But GF has a lot of instruments already, so just copy their offsets

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
It'd really help if you did a video of this because when you helped me that one time I understood it but it's been awhile since I've had to import music and now I want to change some music for cities and what not and I have forgotten and your tut is great but it doesn't work for me :P

also when i do the assemble song part, when i click cook it my sappy 17.1 goes unresponsive and shuts down

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
It'd really help if you did a video of this because when you helped me that one time I understood it but it's been awhile since I've had to import music and now I want to change some music for cities and what not and I have forgotten and your tut is great but it doesn't work for me :P

also when i do the assemble song part, when i click cook it my sappy 17.1 goes unresponsive and shuts down

SAPPY 17.1 goes unresponsive for me when I try to assemble when:

- I have A-map open (or any other program using the ROM)
- If I dont have svchost running
- When the .s file name is too long.

I hope that helped.

Also why does Mid2agb sometimes produce an .s file and other times it just does nothing when I drag it? Is there some instrument or property stopping this?

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Okay so.. after I looped the midi and exported the midi.
When I assemble the song on sappy, it crashes. Why's that?

GoGoJJTech

Years
Okay so.. after I looped the midi and exported the midi.
When I assemble the song on sappy, it crashes. Why's that?

A previous post answers your question:
SAPPY 17.1 goes unresponsive for me when I try to assemble when:

- I have A-map open (or any other program using the ROM)
- If I dont have svchost running
- When the .s file name is too long.

I hope that helped.

Also why does Mid2agb sometimes produce an .s file and other times it just does nothing when I drag it? Is there some instrument or property stopping this?

Well it's if your MIDI has an event or something that the GBA can't do. So since MID2AGB.exe is fresh from Nintendo, they assume you know that.

Last edited:

The_Show

Banned
Years
I've come across a problem I am unable to solve, and it may or may not be complicated to solve. It's a big one, so I'll SPOILER it.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
I've come across a problem I am unable to solve, and it may or may not be complicated to solve. It's a big one, so I'll SPOILER it.

Spoiler:

1: When two tracks share channel numbers they're auto grouped. You don't need channel numbers as they're otherwise ignored in-game, which is why ripped gamefreak music doesn't have channel 10 for the drums.

2: The image doesn't work, but I think you neglected to repoint everything. Basically not repointing overwrites the ROM data.

3: Did you extend the playable tracks and RAM data? This could be linked somehow.

The_Show

Banned
Years
1: When two tracks share channel numbers they're auto grouped. You don't need channel numbers as they're otherwise ignored in-game, which is why ripped gamefreak music doesn't have channel 10 for the drums.

2: The image doesn't work, but I think you neglected to repoint everything. Basically not repointing overwrites the ROM data.

3: Did you extend the playable tracks and RAM data? This could be linked somehow.

1. Right, but how can I make BOTH drum tracks play, instead of 1? Also, how do I get images to appear on my post? (without attachments)

2. You were right, I have been repointing. After every single step, I've been re-opening my ROM to see the progress I've been making, and so far, it hasn't crashed yet :)

3. I am still encountering my problem of only the Piano part playing. I extended the Directsound tracks to 7 using my Hex Editor... is that what you are referring to?

4. I am uploading my MIDI, so if you are up for a challenge, I guess, try and see if you can import it to your ruby game. Btw, thanks for all your help. Not JUST for trying to help me, but also for making this tutorial :D

GoGoJJTech

Years
1. Right, but how can I make BOTH drum tracks play, instead of 1? Also, how do I get images to appear on my post? (without attachments)

2. You were right, I have been repointing. After every single step, I've been re-opening my ROM to see the progress I've been making, and so far, it hasn't crashed yet :)

3. I am still encountering my problem of only the Piano part playing. I extended the Directsound tracks to 7 using my Hex Editor... is that what you are referring to?

4. I am uploading my MIDI, so if you are up for a challenge, I guess, try and see if you can import it to your ruby game. Btw, thanks for all your help. Not JUST for trying to help me, but also for making this tutorial :D

1: I mean make the drum tracks use different channels like this:
Spoiler:

To this:
Spoiler:

This makes it so they don't combine, and then you have 2 separate drum tracks.

2: Good

3: I know, you forgot to add in your instruments, so it's using Gamefreak's piano.

4: I did it and it works just fine once you get the instruments in. Also, just saying, the loop is a little off in the beginning so you might want to fix it :D

The_Show

Banned
Years
1: I mean make the drum tracks use different channels like this:
Spoiler:

To this:
Spoiler:

This makes it so they don't combine, and then you have 2 separate drum tracks.

2: Good

3: I know, you forgot to add in your instruments, so it's using Gamefreak's piano.

4: I did it and it works just fine once you get the instruments in. Also, just saying, the loop is a little off in the beginning so you might want to fix it :D

1. So I separated them into 2 tracks. Unfortunately, in sappy, only the first drum track plays. I'm assuming this happens because they are both using the same instrument. How did you get the second track to work?

2. :D

3. I've actually been adding my instruments this whole time, but I'm more than likely doing it wrong. When I IMPORT SAMPLE, it asks me for an import Address. I wasn't clear what we were supposed to put in there, so I went into the instrument number - address thingy you see when editing your voicetable. I use those numbers for the corresponding offset in the import Address. However, it always comes out either monstrously glitchy, or only the piano part plays. So this time I tried something new. I went into Free Space Finder, found some free space, and used THAT as my import Address offset. I then imported the sample, and clicked Edit Voice Table. I found my instrument, and under Address 1 I copied the offset that FSF gave me; the same one I used for the Import Address. To my surprise, my instruments were A LOT LESS GLITCHY. They still didnt sound like actual instruments, but the fact that it kinda helped amazed me. I know I'm doing something wrong, and it has to do with getting my instruments (wav files) into the game. If you could be more specific as to how to import them correctly, that'd be wonderful.

4. Thats AMAZING. It gives me good hope to know that it's possible (:

Back