Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old September 30th, 2011 (6:12 AM).
The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Worshy View Post
    Hey! I'm kinda new to all this stuff. I do have previous experience making games on Warcraft 3 using its editor and minimal GameMaker experience as well as some Java knowledge. What I'm trying to say is I understand the basics of programming.

Anyways I'm working on a game using the Essentials Kit and RMXP and I was wondering if someone could answer some questions. (I know that some of these questions are general RMXP questions but it'd be nice if someone could link me to the appropriate tutorial rather than saying "This is an RMXP specific question so go ask somewhere else").

1. I want to add some sprites such as those of a policeman but how would I do this? Suppose I have a sprite sheet such as this, how do I make these into NPCs? First thing I notice is that it's the wrong size.
    (Won't let me post links til I have 15 posts so please copy/paste: ("spriters-resource.com/gameboy_advance/pokeem/sheet/8329")

2. With the tilesets, how do I add more tiles from, say, a tileset I've downloaded? I can't switch between tilesets on the same map.

3. How do I make a cutscene where when the player steps onto a square he freezes and an NPC runs at him then jumps and the animation of the exclamation mark (like a trainer battle) appears then he says something then the player goes back 1 square?

4. How do I make it that when the player spawns at the start of the game (after choosing their name and gender) their mother runs up to them and gives a short speech? At the moment I set an event to autorun and made the mother Move Towards Player and say something however she just keeps walking into obstacles and when the speech finish she starts again.

5. I'm still a bit sketchy on variables in RMXP. I seem to only be able to make a max of 50 Boolean and 50 Integer variables and most of these are already use by the Essentials Kit. How would I go about making my own? (Is there a limit as to how many variables I should use?). Also what are Self-Switches? And lastly, does the save/load system that comes with the Essentials Kit automatically save any variables I make myself or do I need to individually add each one to the system?

Well, I don't no nothing about mapping, animations, tilesets, or any of that, cause I'm blind.
    However, I do know quite a lot about eventing.
    A self switch is like a normal switch, accept it can only be used for one event (the event of which you are on)
    Example.
    You may want to use a normal switch for storyline events, so you can change stuff.
    For a trainer; however, it may be wiser to use a self switch to avoid clutter.
    And now...on to variables.
    pokemon essentials uses only about 50 variables, I'm notsure what boolean is supposed to mean.
    There is a thing that says "change maximum"
    Use that to increase to however many variables you wish.
    I usually start out with 100, same goes for switches

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 30th, 2011 (11:12 AM).

Nature: Quiet
      @pokemonmasteraaron a boolean is a variable that is only true or false. it's what a switch would be considered.
      Old September 30th, 2011 (4:57 PM).
      狐 康太

Quote:
        Originally Posted by pokemonmasteraaron View Post
        And one last thing and im outa here! :P haha.
        Don't wanna be a bother.
        I just need to know how to set a conditional branch to happen when a serten variable is a certen thing.
        e.g.
        If on my password variable, they type 11o2ab1cc87 how do I make a conditional branch that will happen when the variable equals above combonation?
        Conditional branch variable don't work.
        Even for just numbers.
        conditional branch only works for me if you set, add, subtract, etc. with control variables.
        Control variables are those variables I mentioned before. Control variable 001 is the exact same thing as $game_variables[1]. So when you click conditional branch, on the first tab click variable, choose the variable you want (remember that those are actually $game_variables), set the condition (equal to, greater than, etc.), and set the exact value it should be (it can only be numbers if you use events. if you want letters as well, you have to use code only). I would actually suggest using code instead, and lucky for you, I already played around with a cheat codes type of thing before. Here's a generic idea of what it will look like (with sound effects already programmed into it):

Code:
        def pbCheatCodes
          code=pbEnterText("Enter a Code",0,10)
          if code=="ABC"
            pbSEPlay("itemlevel")
            #do something cheat-like here
          elsif code=="GENIUS"
            pbSEPlay("itemlevel")
            #do some other cool thing here
          else
           pbSEPlay("buzzer")
           Kernel.pbMessage("Invalid code.")
          end
        end
        In my example, I used the variable code, since it's not necessary to reference it anywhere else but in that particular script, but you can replace it with $game_variables[whichever] if you prefer. And in place of a conditional branch, you have the more useful if statement here. You can add as many elsif code==whatever clauses as you want, as long as they are before the final else clause. Just drop this in a new script section or wherever, then just use a script command in an event and type pbCheatCodes. RMXP will take care of it from there.

@Worshy: I was about to direct you to the general game making help thread, but it looks like it was locked since it got flooded with Essentials related stuff. Fantastic. Normally I would just say to ask in a different thread, but I didn't find a new help thread when searching, so I'll just leave you a message with the answers.

Anime/Manga fans can find me on MyAnimeList.net, as KitsuneKouta.
        Old September 30th, 2011 (5:53 PM).

Okay, so while making my sprites for pokemon trainers, I accidentally made them a little too tall and they're getting cut off on the top.

Is there any way to edit the pokemon battle scene to nudge down the enemy trainer a few pixels?
          Old October 3rd, 2011 (3:14 PM).

So when I use the "EDIT TRAINER" function in the editor included with essentials, it throws this error at me when I try and save:

"---------------------------
            Pokemon Essentials
            ---------------------------
            Exception: NoMethodError

Message: undefined method `pbSaveTrainerNames' for nil:NilClass

PokemonTrainers:66:in `pbConvertTrainerData'

PokemonTrainers:99:in `pbNewTrainer'

PokemonEditor:3411:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:1522:in `loop'

PokemonEditor:1547:in `pbListScreenBlock'

PokemonEditor:3368:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

EditorMain:252:in `pbEditorMenu'

EditorMain:252:in `pbFadeOutIn'

OK
            ---------------------------"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
            Old October 4th, 2011 (9:24 AM).

Hi again!

I have just realised that from the MoveEffect 115 ahead the message always is "but it failed" in the battle. I don't understand, for example, if I move the effect to MoveEffect 114, it works.

I believed that with the solution that FL gave to me the problem had been ended.
              Does someone know because there do not work the new effects that I add?

Quote:
              Originally Posted by FL . View Post
              Are you using a version before 2010 May? These versions don't had a fix to unimplemented moves work.
              If you do, in "PokeBattle_Move", in the end change

Code:
              def PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(battle,move)
               move=PBMove.new(0) if !move
               movedata=PBMoveData.new(move.id)
               return eval(sprintf("PokeBattle_Move_%02X.new(battle,move)",
                 movedata.function)) rescue PokeBattle_FailedMove.new(battle,move)
              end
              To:

Code:
              def PokeBattle_Move.pbFromPBMove(battle,move)
               move=PBMove.new(0) if !move
               movedata=PBMoveData.new(move.id)
               className=sprintf("PokeBattle_Move_%02X",movedata.function)
               if Object.const_defined?(className)
                return Kernel.const_get(className).new(battle,move)
               else
                return PokeBattle_UnimplementedMove.new(battle,move)
               end
              end
              And around line 34 in "PokeBattle_MoveEffects" put

Code:
              # Superclass for an unimplemented move. If it's a damaging move
              # it has no additional effect. If it's a nondamaging move, it always fails.
              class PokeBattle_UnimplementedMove < PokeBattle_Move
              def pbEffect(attacker,opponent)
               if @basedamage>0
                return super(attacker,opponent)
               else
                @battle.pbDisplay("But it failed!")
                return -1
               end
              end
              end
              Both codes are made by poccil.
              Old October 4th, 2011 (10:23 AM).
              Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials

Quote:
                Originally Posted by tom_table View Post
                So when I use the "EDIT TRAINER" function in the editor included with essentials, it throws this error at me when I try and save:

"---------------------------
                Pokemon Essentials

OK
                ---------------------------"

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any help is greatly appreciated.
                If you want to edit the External Editor's scripts, go into PokemonTrainers, find line 66 and make it say pbSaveTrainerTypes instead of pbSaveTrainerNames.

If you don't want to edit that yourself, the fix will be in the next update.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by TACHAN View Post
                Hi again!

I have just realised that from the MoveEffect 115 ahead the message always is "but it failed" in the battle. I don't understand, for example, if I move the effect to MoveEffect 114, it works.

I believed that with the solution that FL gave to me the problem had been ended.
                Does someone know because there do not work the new effects that I add?
                Older versions of Essentials only use the last 2 digits of the function code (as written in the PBS file) to determine which effect it has (in PokeBattle_MoveEffects). What it's actually doing is looking at class PokeBattle_Move_15, rather than PokeBattle_Move_115. I think that's part of your problem.

The latest version of Essentials (released yesterday) uses 3-digit function codes, which allows over 4000 different effects. Use that instead. If/when you do, do NOT replace moves.txt with your own. Instead, add your new moves to the moves.txt that's already there. Make sure to check which function codes you can use for your new effects - see the Function codes page on the wiki for more details.

| Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
                | All Animations Project |

Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42

Old October 5th, 2011 (4:09 AM).

Maruno, would you suggest that it would be worth moving my work to this new release of essentials? I haven't changed much in the way of scripts, just a few X and Y values here and there mostly. All my work lies in maps, tilesets and events. Oh, and seeing as no one replied to my earlier post, here it is again:

"Hey guys, I've been having some trouble in regards to my BGMs. I've found that during a certain sequence in which I've altered the BGM to differ from the default one for the map, saving and reloading causes the BGM to revert to the default map one. It's rather annoying and it becomes impractical to prevent saving in this sequence.

Is there are way by which I can memorise the BGM playing when one clicks save, and then have it automatically start that BGM again when the save is loaded? Oh, and before anyone suggests it, I've tried using the Memorise/Restore BGM events, which failed (unless I went about it wrong). I'm useless at scripting but if it comes to that then I'll try my best to understand it. Thanks in advance guys."
                  Old October 5th, 2011 (10:42 AM).
                  The blind Pokémon Master!

Nature: Relaxed
                    How can I start out the battle with the apposing pokemon already on the field?
                    Basically, here's what I'm doing.
                    The boss of my game is a person who has become superpowerful by deceiving arceus, suicune, and landorus.
                    Basically, I've put him as a trainer to easily munipulate certen aspects of him.
                    e.g.
                    a.i, held item, etc.
                    I need it to skip the introduction of normal trainer battles cause this would look weird.
                    roshatoe sent out roshatoe.
                    yeah, don't look good.
                    hahaha.
                    One other thing.
                    To give him extra stuff, I need to know how to give him a massive hp stat, above the base 255,
                    and I wish to give him more than 4 moves.
                    How can I do all of this?
                    Old October 5th, 2011 (11:09 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by jim42 View Post
                      Maruno, would you suggest that it would be worth moving my work to this new release of essentials? I haven't changed much in the way of scripts, just a few X and Y values here and there mostly. All my work lies in maps, tilesets and events.
                      Yes, that would be best (assuming you want the new features). The vast majority of changes are in the scripts, so your maps and tilesets can just be copied over. I hope you've marked which scripts you've changed (I put #CHANGED at the end of every line I tweak in my game), so that you know what to edit in the new version. It'll be much easier to put your changes into the new Essentials than it will be to upgrade your version.

I don't know about your music problem.

Old October 5th, 2011 (9:31 PM). Edited October 5th, 2011 by taimao.

I found a small error in the move effect for Heat Crash and Heavy Slam.

In PokeBattle_MoveEffects for the class PokeBattle_Move_09B in def pbBaseDamage the returned value is the variable damage, but should be basedmg.

I'm gonna send this to Maruno as a PM, so it makes it into the next update of essentials.

Edit: the same error occurs for the Electro Ball, class PokeBattle_Move_099
                        Old October 6th, 2011 (4:33 AM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
                          Older versions of Essentials only use the last 2 digits of the function code (as written in the PBS file) to determine which effect it has (in PokeBattle_MoveEffects). What it's actually doing is looking at class PokeBattle_Move_15, rather than PokeBattle_Move_115. I think that's part of your problem.

The latest version of Essentials (released yesterday) uses 3-digit function codes, which allows over 4000 different effects. Use that instead. If/when you do, do NOT replace moves.txt with your own. Instead, add your new moves to the moves.txt that's already there. Make sure to check which function codes you can use for your new effects - see the Function codes page on the wiki for more details.
                          But if I update my Pokemon Essential, I am going to lose all the changes that I did in the script... :'(
                          Some parts of the game that I am doing use parts of the script with switches and other things that I have added.

There is another way of doing that the MoveEffects it has 3 digits?
                          Old October 7th, 2011 (7:53 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by taimao View Post
                            I found a small error in the move effect for Heat Crash and Heavy Slam.

In PokeBattle_MoveEffects for the class PokeBattle_Move_09B in def pbBaseDamage the returned value is the variable damage, but should be basedmg.

I'm gonna send this to Maruno as a PM, so it makes it into the next update of essentials.

Edit: the same error occurs for the Electro Ball, class PokeBattle_Move_099
                            Thanks for the bug report. These will be fixed in the next release.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by TACHAN View Post
                            But if I update my Pokemon Essential, I am going to lose all the changes that I did in the script... :'(
                            Some parts of the game that I am doing use parts of the script with switches and other things that I have added.

There is another way of doing that the MoveEffects it has 3 digits?
                            If you replace all the PokeBattle script sections with the new ones, that will add in the new function codes. You should also use the new version of moves.txt, and add onto that.

I'm improving Essentials. It's up to you to make sure you can upgrade your games (if you want to) - as I've said, the easiest way I think to do this is to mark every line you change. It's good practise to keep a record of what you've done.

Old October 7th, 2011 (3:33 PM).

So is it Poccil or Maruno who is working on Pokemon Essentials these days?

Have to ask as Upokecenter is down and I don't know where to get the new Essentials.
                              Old October 7th, 2011 (4:23 PM).
                              the hearts of lonely people
                              • Silver Tier

Poccil has handed Essentials over to the members at Essentials Wiki, so basically it's Maruno, and anyone who wants to contribute, who's working on it. ... I think.
                              Old October 7th, 2011 (5:02 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by RikuCrafter View Post
                                So is it Poccil or Maruno who is working on Pokemon Essentials these days?

Have to ask as Upokecenter is down and I don't know where to get the new Essentials.
                                As Cilerba said. A link to the downloads is in my signature, which incidentally appears right above your post.

Old October 7th, 2011 (9:22 PM).

Maruno, I got the new Essentials and copied everything over. It took a bit of time to re-import my graphics and such, as well as to redirect my map transfers, but everything was successful. I also made note to put "#CHANGED *what I changed* ON *date*" on any script alterations I've made. Thanks for the advice.
                                  Old October 7th, 2011 (9:45 PM).

Oh, lol, silly me. Well, I started making my game, and I'm not sure which version I'm not. I got this error when trying to create a new trainer type.

Pokemon Essentials

PokemonEditor:3075:in `pbTrainerTypeEditorNew'

PokemonEditor:3396:in `pbTrainerBattleEditor'

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Kyle\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
                                    OK

And this when trying to make a new trainer battle using an existing type:

Pokemon Essentials

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Kyle\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
                                    OK
                                    Old October 8th, 2011 (2:05 AM).

Nature: Brave
                                      Hi guys, maybe a silly question, but I was trying to get these pre-battle mugshots, but for some reason, I can not find the file or code that links to the pictures and their location...
                                      Can somebody tells me step by step how to set up one?
                                      Old October 8th, 2011 (6:25 AM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by RikuCrafter View Post
                                        Oh, lol, silly me. Well, I started making my game, and I'm not sure which version I'm not. I got this error when trying to create a new trainer type.
                                        See the previous page.

We do appreciate people looking around at least a little for answers before asking the same questions again and again.

Old October 8th, 2011 (5:11 PM).

I tried that. My line 66 of PokemonTrainers says PbSaveTrainerBattles, line 65 is already PbSaveTrainerTypes. Anything?
                                          Old October 8th, 2011 (9:14 PM).

Well I have few doubts
                                            1)I make a event which should stay in a particular area for just that one time.I implement it by putting the event in some tree or some other surrounding are with opacity 0 and move the character to the desired location and set opacity to 255.Doing so can make the event appear only once.While this works well normally if I happen to save the game in the middle..every thing is reset. That is the event will return to the tree I placed it originally with opacity set 0.Ofcourse to prevent this all I have to do is make sure the player doesn't get a chance to save but..I wanted to know from you guys is there any other method for this?

2)I have read somewhere on the forums how to use scene_movie to play a avi video.I have did the same thing used this command
                                            $scene = Scene_Movie.new("INTRO")
                                            Ofcourse I placed a video in the suitable format in the movies folder.Howver I couldn't understand where to place the movies folder..so I placed it both in the graphics folder and in the main folder where the project is saved.Unfortunately the video didn't play and all that appeared to me is a black screen.

I tried my best to explain my problems but if you want me to explain better i'll provide screen shots and the exact script I used.
                                            Old October 11th, 2011 (12:48 AM).

Nature: Calm
                                              I have two questions:

1) How can I stop that bouncing effect with the pokemon battle sprite and Health Bar during a Pokemon battle? you know how when you select a pokemon and they sort of bounce up and down?

2) For some reason, the BGM for pokemon battles seems to play at a lower volume than the original track, because when I play the battle bgm through RMXP's sound test, the volume is perfect. How can I fix this?
                                              Old October 11th, 2011 (11:23 PM). Edited October 12th, 2011 by AmaranthProject.
                                              AmaranthProject AmaranthProject is offline

Nature: Naive
                                                Pretty simple question here:

PBDayNight.isNight?() returns as either true or false

The documentation says that you should be able to use the method in a conditional branch, the question is how?

Here's the error I have been getting, guess there must be some other syntax to use......

-EDIT- Got it working, there was already a predefined switch for certain time periods, derp.

Old October 14th, 2011 (10:53 AM).

anyone know how to change the resolution of the battle scene?
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply