Third Generation The hallmark of sprite-based Pokémon gaming, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald set you off on an adventure in the watery Hoenn region with tons of diverse Pokémon to discover. Fans of Kanto can reexplore their favorite region in FireRed and LeafGreen. Here you'll find other fans who enjoy talking about the Pokémon, strategy, and techniques to master this generation.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1151    
Old December 20th, 2010 (10:39 AM).
Weavile05's Avatar
Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
Currently Hacking BW
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: North Carolina
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Lax
    Posts: 1,431
    Who exactly is the BARD? is he just some random dude or can he be beneficial in some way.
    __________________
    In progress

    Hoenn, 1 Badge
    My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
    Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643

    Relevant Advertising!

      #1152    
    Old December 26th, 2010 (7:08 AM).
    Weavile05's Avatar
    Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
    Currently Hacking BW
       
      Join Date: Jun 2010
      Location: North Carolina
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lax
      Posts: 1,431
      my Fire Red Save file keeps deleting itself! What does this mean?
      __________________
      In progress

      Hoenn, 1 Badge
      My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
      Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
        #1153    
      Old December 27th, 2010 (5:49 AM).
      Kip's Avatar
      Kip Kip is offline
      Fire Fox
      • Crystal Tier
       
      Join Date: Feb 2008
      Location: UK
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Rash
      Posts: 760
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
      my Fire Red Save file keeps deleting itself! What does this mean?
      Does it come up with a specific error on startup? If so could you post it?

      If not then that's the classic sign of a dead battery. My Silver did that too. I'm not sure there's anything to be done other than buy a new FireRed cartridge (they're not that expensive, you're looking at about £10 on eBay).
      __________________

      TwitterTumblrYouTubePGLRedditGoogle+
      Avatar by ChinoProfile Flareon by CanisAries
      Profile under construction!
        #1154    
      Old December 27th, 2010 (7:09 AM).
      Weavile05's Avatar
      Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
      Currently Hacking BW
         
        Join Date: Jun 2010
        Location: North Carolina
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 1,431
        It tells me my Save file has been deleted, but it doesn't give an Error message exactly, it just tells me that the save file was deleted, exactly like this.
        "The save file was deleted..."
        It always seems to happen after I don't play it for more than a few minutes, like once I turned it off and directly back on and it told me that my Save file was ok.
        __________________
        In progress

        Hoenn, 1 Badge
        My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
        Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
          #1155    
        Old December 27th, 2010 (7:22 AM).
        bobandbill's Avatar
        bobandbill bobandbill is offline
        shake that booty
        • Administrator
        • PokéCommunity Daily
        • Discord Moderoid
         
        Join Date: Mar 2008
        Location: Central Coast - Australia
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 13,106
        If it tells you a message of some sort no matter what (ven the 'it is ok' ones) then it may actually be a fake game, as real gams should not do that. Of course there's always the very minor chance it is a legit game and just broken, but odds on it's a fake game.

        Also note while Silver's dead battery did destroy the card, with rse/frlg, a dead internal battery would not hurt the save file - only time-based events like berry growing in RSE (because the game did not have such a dependence on the time feature). Also not the case with the DS games as they rely on the DS clock, not an internal battery.
        __________________
          #1156    
        Old December 27th, 2010 (7:30 AM).
        Weavile05's Avatar
        Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
        Currently Hacking BW
           
          Join Date: Jun 2010
          Location: North Carolina
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Lax
          Posts: 1,431
          Well my Grandma got it for me off of Amazon she said she is going to return it when I give it to her the next time she sees me and I'll use whatever money she got back to get a replacement. But yeah I had suspected it might be a fake because it took several tries for my DS and my Cousin's GBSP to read it and I used it to try and get a wild Growlithe on my Platinum and it wasn't working so... yeah I suspected it was a fake. Also the cartridge felt... different from other GBA Cartridges I had.

          Oh and btw Kip, how much is 10 francs in american dollars?
          __________________
          In progress

          Hoenn, 1 Badge
          My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
          Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
            #1157    
          Old December 27th, 2010 (7:43 AM).
          Kip's Avatar
          Kip Kip is offline
          Fire Fox
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Feb 2008
          Location: UK
          Age: 25
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Rash
          Posts: 760
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
          Oh and btw Kip, how much is 10 francs in american dollars?
          Um... Francs haven't been used in over a decade now. The French use the Euro (€) and have done since 1999. That was a British pound symbol (£).

          So, to answer your question £10 = $15 USD approximatly. Sorry, I should've looked at your location thing more closely. ' My bad.
          __________________

          TwitterTumblrYouTubePGLRedditGoogle+
          Avatar by ChinoProfile Flareon by CanisAries
          Profile under construction!
            #1158    
          Old December 27th, 2010 (7:46 AM).
          Weavile05's Avatar
          Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
          Currently Hacking BW
             
            Join Date: Jun 2010
            Location: North Carolina
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lax
            Posts: 1,431
            OH..... my bad as soon as I saw that you had replyed I thought "wait a minute, I think that was a euro symbol", and then it turned out to be pounds after all lol. Anyway ebay still isn't always very reliable so I will try gamestop before that.
            __________________
            In progress

            Hoenn, 1 Badge
            My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
            Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
              #1159    
            Old December 27th, 2010 (9:04 AM).
            Sydian's Avatar
            Sydian Sydian is offline
            case CLOSED.
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Feb 2008
            Location: Alabama
            Age: 24
            Nature: Timid
            Posts: 32,087
            Quote:
            OH..... my bad as soon as I saw that you had replyed I thought "wait a minute, I think that was a euro symbol", and then it turned out to be pounds after all lol. Anyway ebay still isn't always very reliable so I will try gamestop before that.
            When you do go, make sure the cartridge you pick up is a see through orange-red color, the sticker is holographic, and that there's a Nintendo seal on it. I have seen GameStops with fake carts, so yeah. Just wanna make sure you get a good copy this time. :)
            __________________
            ≫ they took a little look at my heart
            they found a prince living behind bars ≪

            challenges | klippy
              #1160    
            Old December 27th, 2010 (4:47 PM).
            Weavile05's Avatar
            Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
            Currently Hacking BW
               
              Join Date: Jun 2010
              Location: North Carolina
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Lax
              Posts: 1,431
              Actually... It has the Nintendo seal, the cartridge is more Red than orange-red though, and could you please define "Holographic", like what exactly does it mean?
              __________________
              In progress

              Hoenn, 1 Badge
              My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
              Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
                #1161    
              Old December 27th, 2010 (10:37 PM).
              champagnepapi's Avatar
              champagnepapi champagnepapi is offline
              exile
              • Gold Tier
               
              Join Date: Nov 2010
              Location: new england
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 1,796
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
              Who exactly is the BARD? is he just some random dude or can he be beneficial in some way.
              It seems your question wasn't answered. The BARD is a variant of NPCs in the Mauville Pokemon center. Some of them are more beneficial than others. Giddy just rambles, the Bard sings somewhat amusing songs and the storyteller tells stories, whereas people like Trader can give you deals on Secret Base goods and the Hipster who adds words to your vocabulary (for interviews, etc). They can be changed by mixing records and which of these guys you get is entirely random.
              __________________

              paired to kaori & vrai
                #1162    
              Old December 27th, 2010 (10:51 PM).
              Capris Capris is offline
              Banned
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2010
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Calm
                Posts: 143
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Weavile05 View Post
                Actually... It has the Nintendo seal, the cartridge is more Red than orange-red though, and could you please define "Holographic", like what exactly does it mean?
                Holographic just means that it has a certain shine to it, like when you move it you'll see the light reflecting on it. You'll probably get it once you see it.
                  #1163    
                Old December 28th, 2010 (4:18 AM).
                Nukewarm Nukewarm is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2010
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 7
                  During a pokemon battle in FR/LG, how do I end my turn without taking any action? I don't want to attack, switch pokemon, or use an item. I just want my turn to end. If there isn't a direct method of doing this, can someone recommend an easy solution that doesn't involve wasting PP?

                  Thanks
                    #1164    
                  Old December 28th, 2010 (6:38 AM). Edited January 1st, 2011 by Idiot!.
                  Idiot! Idiot! is offline
                  One shot, one kill.
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2005
                    Posts: 1,684
                    Insert random filler here.
                    __________________
                      #1165    
                    Old December 28th, 2010 (10:49 AM).
                    Kip's Avatar
                    Kip Kip is offline
                    Fire Fox
                    • Crystal Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2008
                    Location: UK
                    Age: 25
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Rash
                    Posts: 760
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Nukewarm View Post
                    During a pokemon battle in FR/LG, how do I end my turn without taking any action? I don't want to attack, switch pokemon, or use an item. I just want my turn to end. If there isn't a direct method of doing this, can someone recommend an easy solution that doesn't involve wasting PP?

                    Thanks
                    I think that's part of the game that you can't skip a turn, and you may need to change your strategy in order to suit this. There is, nor has there any been, a way to skip a turn in any Pokémon game so far. Your best option is switching Pokémon in and out. I'm curious though - why would you want to skip a turn?
                    __________________

                    TwitterTumblrYouTubePGLRedditGoogle+
                    Avatar by ChinoProfile Flareon by CanisAries
                    Profile under construction!
                      #1166    
                    Old December 28th, 2010 (2:26 PM). Edited December 28th, 2010 by Nukewarm.
                    Nukewarm Nukewarm is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2010
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 7
                      The following is within the scope of beating the normal game. I do not play competetively.

                      I've decided to pick Venusaur as my starting pokemon, and use the following moveset for tough battles:

                      Leech Seed
                      Sleep Powder
                      Double Team
                      Poison Powder/Substitute (Don't know if I NEED sub for AI opponents)

                      I'm sure this is a known combo. If not, the idea is that I put the opponent to sleep right off the bat with sleeping powder, hit him with leech seed, and buff my evasion with double team. When evasion is at +6 (And the 1st guy is probably dead), I hit everything else with poison+leech seed, and sit there while they wiff.

                      Since venusaur will have buffed evasion, I want to keep him in to tank. Since he doesn't have an active attack, I have no real way of using him at that point, thus the need to simply end my turn.

                      As a 4th attack, I've considered something active, such as Solar Beam, or Megadrain. Megadrain has only 5 uses in FR/LG, so eff that. Solarbeam is very cool, but I think I prefer poison powder just for the added life drain. 1/4 hp a tick sounds very nice.

                      I searched pretty tirelessly for a way for Venusaur to inflict a secondary status ailment, like confuse, but haven't found one. If anyone knows of a way to do this, or has any general ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear from them.

                      Edit
                      ------
                      Quick follow up question: Do Pikachus holding "Light Balls" exit in Leaf Green? I'm not looking forward to restarting my game in emerald or something

                      Thanks,
                      <- This guy
                        #1167    
                      Old December 28th, 2010 (3:25 PM).
                      Kip's Avatar
                      Kip Kip is offline
                      Fire Fox
                      • Crystal Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2008
                      Location: UK
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Rash
                      Posts: 760
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Nukewarm View Post
                      Quick follow up question: Do Pikachus holding "Light Balls" exit in Leaf Green? I'm not looking forward to restarting my game in emerald or something
                      Light Balls are held by wild Pikachu in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald only. In FR/LG they don't have them.

                      Pikachu can be found on RSE in the Safari Zone, Area 1 and 2. There is only a 5% chance that it will appear and even then there's still only a chance they will be holding a Light Ball. On the bright side you don't need to restart your Emerald to get one, but on the downside you need to wait until you complete the FR/LG main story and get the Ruby and the Sapphire in order to trade with R/S/E. :/
                      __________________

                      TwitterTumblrYouTubePGLRedditGoogle+
                      Avatar by ChinoProfile Flareon by CanisAries
                      Profile under construction!
                        #1168    
                      Old December 28th, 2010 (3:43 PM).
                      Nukewarm Nukewarm is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Dec 2010
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 7
                        Codebreaker ftw. Light ball down, Thick Club here I come.
                          #1169    
                        Old December 28th, 2010 (5:54 PM).
                        Weavile05's Avatar
                        Weavile05 Weavile05 is offline
                        Currently Hacking BW
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2010
                          Location: North Carolina
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Lax
                          Posts: 1,431
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Capris View Post
                          Holographic just means that it has a certain shine to it, like when you move it you'll see the light reflecting on it. You'll probably get it once you see it.
                          Well, the sticker is not Holographic, the Cartridge is see-through red, and the official Nintendo seal of quality is on it. Could it still be a fake game?
                          __________________
                          In progress

                          Hoenn, 1 Badge
                          My Youtube Channel: Check out my Pokemon Red Walkthrough
                          Pokemon White FC: 2322 5491 2643
                            #1170    
                          Old December 28th, 2010 (6:05 PM).
                          Sydian's Avatar
                          Sydian Sydian is offline
                          case CLOSED.
                          • Crystal Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2008
                          Location: Alabama
                          Age: 24
                          Nature: Timid
                          Posts: 32,087
                          Hm, is there anyway possible that you could take a picture? Cause I find that odd. The sticker should definitely be holo.
                          __________________
                          ≫ they took a little look at my heart
                          they found a prince living behind bars ≪

                          challenges | klippy
                            #1171    
                          Old December 28th, 2010 (6:18 PM).
                          Christopher's Avatar
                          Christopher Christopher is offline
                          Hear Me Roar
                          • Silver Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2010
                          Location: Oklahoma
                          Age: 24
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Bold
                          Posts: 1,332
                          My Sticker is not a holographic one though I bought mine in walmart on release day the sticker should be Gold outlined in a sun like zigzag pattern in an oval right above the version # I.E AGB-BPRE-USA
                            #1172    
                          Old December 28th, 2010 (6:30 PM).
                          Sydian's Avatar
                          Sydian Sydian is offline
                          case CLOSED.
                          • Crystal Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Feb 2008
                          Location: Alabama
                          Age: 24
                          Nature: Timid
                          Posts: 32,087
                          It would help if I actually had my game next to me, I reckon. But I recall the sticker having some shine to it. Then again, FRLG are my least favorite games, so it's not like I pick them up and play them all the time. So holographic might have been the wrong word to use, my bad.
                          __________________
                          ≫ they took a little look at my heart
                          they found a prince living behind bars ≪

                          challenges | klippy
                            #1173    
                          Old December 28th, 2010 (7:51 PM).
                          champagnepapi's Avatar
                          champagnepapi champagnepapi is offline
                          exile
                          • Gold Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2010
                          Location: new england
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Adamant
                          Posts: 1,796
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Nukewarm View Post
                          The following is within the scope of beating the normal game. I do not play competetively.

                          I've decided to pick Venusaur as my starting pokemon, and use the following moveset for tough battles:

                          Leech Seed
                          Sleep Powder
                          Double Team
                          Poison Powder/Substitute (Don't know if I NEED sub for AI opponents)

                          I'm sure this is a known combo. If not, the idea is that I put the opponent to sleep right off the bat with sleeping powder, hit him with leech seed, and buff my evasion with double team. When evasion is at +6 (And the 1st guy is probably dead), I hit everything else with poison+leech seed, and sit there while they wiff.

                          Since venusaur will have buffed evasion, I want to keep him in to tank. Since he doesn't have an active attack, I have no real way of using him at that point, thus the need to simply end my turn.

                          As a 4th attack, I've considered something active, such as Solar Beam, or Megadrain. Megadrain has only 5 uses in FR/LG, so eff that. Solarbeam is very cool, but I think I prefer poison powder just for the added life drain. 1/4 hp a tick sounds very nice.

                          I searched pretty tirelessly for a way for Venusaur to inflict a secondary status ailment, like confuse, but haven't found one. If anyone knows of a way to do this, or has any general ideas or suggestions, I'd love to hear from them.

                          Edit
                          ------
                          Quick follow up question: Do Pikachus holding "Light Balls" exit in Leaf Green? I'm not looking forward to restarting my game in emerald or something

                          Thanks,
                          <- This guy
                          I guess I should help you out. First off, having Poisonpowder and Sleep Powder in the same moveset, they can't be used at the same time, and there's no need to pick and choose between them every battle, either one is fine. Another thing that intrigued me is that you chose Poisonpowder, over Toxic, which can be obtained via TM, and is much better. The biggest problem here is that you need a solid attacking move. Razor Leaf is a good choice for a passive set, because it has high PP and a good critical hit rate. Solarbeam should be out of question without Sunny Day, and Mega Drain is outclassed by Giga Drain, which is also obtained via TM. If you want some REAL power, then give it Frenzy Plant. As of now, this set is far too passive and poorly constructed.
                          __________________

                          paired to kaori & vrai
                            #1174    
                          Old December 28th, 2010 (9:15 PM).
                          Nukewarm Nukewarm is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Dec 2010
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 7
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Karpman View Post
                            I guess I should help you out. First off, having Poisonpowder and Sleep Powder in the same moveset, they can't be used at the same time, and there's no need to pick and choose between them every battle, either one is fine. Another thing that intrigued me is that you chose Poisonpowder, over Toxic, which can be obtained via TM, and is much better. The biggest problem here is that you need a solid attacking move. Razor Leaf is a good choice for a passive set, because it has high PP and a good critical hit rate. Solarbeam should be out of question without Sunny Day, and Mega Drain is outclassed by Giga Drain, which is also obtained via TM. If you want some REAL power, then give it Frenzy Plant. As of now, this set is far too passive and poorly constructed.
                            I'm the new guy here, and am currently revising the moveset, but I don't agree with some of the things you said (Within the context of single player).

                            If the opponent is sleeping, most of the time waiting 1 turn to build up solarbeam isn't going to matter.

                            Toxic seems awesome if the fight lasts for a long time, but it only overtakes poison by the 4th turn. Given poison + leech seed will kill anything that doesn't heal in 4 turns, I consider it to be no more than personal preference. Toxic has higher accuracy but lower PP than powder, so for the time being I went with the alternative.

                            Lastly, the idea of the moveset was that I wouldn't be choosing between sleep and poison; I would be using them both. Sleep to set up leech seed and double team, and poison to finish the fight(s) off. I'm currently debating sticking with this strategy though, so I'm definitely open to suggestions.

                            Overall, thanks for the input. Could have done without the little jab at the end though.
                              #1175    
                            Old December 29th, 2010 (3:52 AM).
                            Neptune Vasilias's Avatar
                            Neptune Vasilias Neptune Vasilias is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Dec 2010
                              Location: Not here, at least.
                              Age: 20
                              Nature: Adamant
                              Posts: 1,146
                              Um hi! I just restarted my Emerald which I haven't played for 4 years so I'm still abit of a noob. What are the good and bad natures for a Mudkip? I might be teaching it Surf, Waterfall, Dive and Earthquake unless I find another Pokemon for those HMs...
                              Closed Thread
                              Quick Reply

                              Sponsored Links
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:14 PM.