Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread

Old November 18th, 2008 (1:56 PM).
Remember NovEnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Office Buddy View Post
so we don't spam up this thread.

LOL

And An-chan, don't worry about the video. I just have this "thing" where I can't handle the sight of a naked human foot or leg. I was fine with the video until those were shown.

Now nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody speaks my name
I'm just another blister in the mouth of shame
A bug in Ender's Game

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 18th, 2008 (1:58 PM).
Whoops.

To what extent would your character go to translate what they are saying to a village/city of foreigners, with a bar on them knowing the foreign language?

Cimi would draw. I imagine she's a fine artist, but I haven't decided yet.
Pichu would use a huge amount of hand gestures without ever getting his message through.
Adan would use calm and collected hand gestures and probably would get his message trough.

Jack, Radeem, Ivysaur and Susanne wouldn't even try (I seem to like arrogant characters)...

Usa-chan would try to speak very loud and very slow English with some random Japanese words mixed in. Nobody would understand her, of course, but this wouldn't bother her very much.

April would just cook a meal sufficient for everyone. Or, if the message she had to deliver to these foreign people was important, she'd panic, run around and probably be out could in a matter of minutes because of a sudden collision to a solid object.

As for the translator: I usually use Yahoo's Babelfish (when translating from Japanese to English, never the other way round, except for in cases I need to copypaste a certain kanji I can't find anywhere else), but as it doesn't have Finnish as an option, I'd have to use Google's translator for this. It does have Finnish. Most of it, at least. I didn't know the Finnish world for "chase" (=jahdata), so it left the word untranslated... It was funny.

Like this (The following example is the last paragraph. I made as accurate Finnish translation as I ever could and ran it trough the Google translator):
What compiler is: I usually use Yahoo Babelfishiä (in the translate in Japanese in English, never the other way around, except in the event that I need someone to kanjin copypastettavaksi and I do not find it anywhere), but because it can not be selected for the Finnish, should use Google's translator in this situation. It is the Finnish alternative. Most of the Finnish language, at least. It was not aware of what is the gun for the Finnish, so it failed to translate ago ... The time fun.
(how can it mistake "chase" for "gun?!?!?!! How is that possible?!?!?!)

Fun, huh?
The scary thing about that is that it looks a lot like something a Japanese (or Finnish, for the matter) person could write... Maybe they really do use those translators?

Fanfiction:Mama's Boy|World Saviour Sora-chan (parody)|
One shots: The Elevator|Once in a Forest Fire|

I'm currently more reachable at The BBS.
You should come, too. We have cookies. No, seriously!
Old November 18th, 2008 (1:59 PM).
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Post Office Buddy View Post
To what extent would your character go to translate what they are saying to a village/city of foreigners, with a bar on them knowing the foreign language?
Most of mine would actually say "eff this" and make no actual attempt unless it was absolutely necessary. At that point, you've got the bolder ones like Mercury who will BS the language in an attempt to get the idea across. ("Where is your el bathroom-o? Comprende?") More sensible ones will attempt to find someone who can translate for them, if they don't simply travel with a book of common words and phrases.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old November 18th, 2008 (2:19 PM).
The Game is Afoot!

Nature: Lax

Gale: Listen up! My name is Gale- say it with me! "Gay-ull". Good! Now, I need to find the public house. PUB-LICK HOWSE. DO YOU UN-DER-STAND?

Augustus: .... *flies away*

Aristophanes: Ah'm sorry, sir, but Ah cannae understand what yer talkin' aboot. *sits there for hours, looking confused*

Laertes: Look, either you tell me where the bathroom is or I rip out your spleen. This isn't that hard.

General Michael: Fortunately, I already know how to say "where can I find loose women"? in fifteen different languages, and anything else I need I can get for myself through careful application of my military training. So no harm done!

.... My god, with the exception of Augustus I think all my characters are idiots.

x x x x

Old November 18th, 2008 (3:35 PM). Edited November 18th, 2008 by txteclipse.
Peace & Goodwill
Gold Tier

Nature: Quiet

The Latis have it easy, in that they can just use telepathy to portray intentions instead of using actual words. Ren and Kairn could simply tell them what they want, and then the dragons could translate for them.

Mewtwo would just take whatever she needed, and that would be the end of the discussion. If she was being nice about it, though, she could hypothetically learn this new language in a few minutes by listening to the village banter and then speak it fluently.

Quote:
I'm having a serious writer's block - AGAIN! I know what I want to write, but I just can't write it down. What am I going to do?
Write.

EDIT: Anyone hear about this? Tim Burton's doing Alice in Wonderland. Here's the Mad Hatter:

Spoiler:

sig art by かんな
Old November 18th, 2008 (6:13 PM).
Wait, what?

Nature: Quirky

Samuel would probably just speak in English, not caring about what was said to him. Neal would log onto the internet and translate every sentence that way.

Also, Tim Burton is doing Alice in wonderland? I bet the Cheshire cat will look cool...
Old November 18th, 2008 (7:06 PM). Edited November 18th, 2008 by Bay Alexison.
Gorgeous boy

Nature: Sassy
Bunny and Jacob would either use books or have a translator. Jenny would just give up. XD

Spoiler:
How many times Tim Burton and Johnny Depp(think I spelled his last name wrong) worked together? XD
Old November 18th, 2008 (7:35 PM).
Remember NovEnder

Aden would just grunt and point. And when no one knows what it is that she wants, she'll just grunt louder and gesture more wildly. Then if no one still has a clue what it is that she wants, she'll blame them for being stupid and then insult the government somehow, requiring her to run away as far as she can.

The other two of my original characters actually run across language barriers in their world that they have to deal with, so they don't get an answer.

Spoiler:
I know, off the top of my head, two movies with Depp and Burton.

A bug in Ender's Game

Old November 18th, 2008 (7:39 PM).
Worrisome, but also Charming

Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay
How many times Tim Burton and Johnny Deep(think I spelled his last name wrong) worked together? XD
Placing Tim Burton as Director and Johnny Deep as Actor, at least eight (8). Counting the upcoming Alice in Wonderland. That's what IMDB's DB is returning, but it's not the complete source I would like. Still, that's a lot of work together considering what those movies are: Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands, etc...

Oh my mind is too "empty" to try and answer the funny questions, in particular the foreign language thing. Maybe tomorrow... when I find out the FFL has yet another full page of posts...

The Suocéverse - Pokémon Stuff

Introduction – Devel Docs -- FF.net
: Playfield SWC : Pseudo-Legendary : Misaimed for Life SWC
Silly human, romance is for Nidoran!
Overlord : As They Were SWC : Interim (TBA)
And others
OTHER STUFF

[Nothing Yet]

Old November 18th, 2008 (8:07 PM).
Trapped inside this Octavarium

My mind is empty as well, but that is from exhaustion. It's looking like I might update that Apocolypse fiction I started in September, giving it a Chapter One soon. I have some ideas for that I want to implement. I'm also about 3/4 done with Chapter Eleven of The Fall of Light. That in particular has been taking a long long time. Just a lot of writer's block, I guess. And yes, I'll stop rambling now.

Spoiler:
GAPGJAGJDiliekzmudkipzAK;DHGAIPOGHAUIGHA
I am returning once again (hopefully for good). I will be updating Affliction regularly and reviewing other people's fics every so often. If you would like to request a review, then please send me a PM.

My FFC entry for April 2008: My Endless Loneliness
My Discontinued, Chaptered FanFiction: The Fall of Light
My current chaptered FanFiction: Affliction
My Parody of Pure Awesomeness (requires some context to fully appreciate): Sir. Aaron - A Parody
Old November 18th, 2008 (8:50 PM).
Gorgeous boy

Nature: Sassy
Spoiler:
Heh, so far I only know four- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Corpse Bride, Sweeny Todd, and Edward Scissorhands. But seiously, eight? And I thought four is a lot...

In other news, got an idea where I want my little musical to head and also got an idea of how I'll manage my time to write that piece. Just lucky I don't plan to have that story be very long. XD
Old November 18th, 2008 (9:31 PM).
Remember NovEnder

Now that I can edit posts again (Thank Andrew), I've updated the FFL Orgy post!

I might have forgotten people, since it's been a while since I've looked at it, and I meant to update it for a while. So if someone wants to be on it, you have to survive the dungeon first. There are three tasks that you must solve with humility, faith, and knowledge. (And if anyone knows what movie I'm referencing, you get a...free pass into the FFL Orgy. Or something. Unless you're already in the FFL, in which case, we'll discuss what you can get.)

A bug in Ender's Game

Old November 18th, 2008 (9:40 PM).

Umm, I'm going to venture a guess and say Monty Python (probably wrong since I haven't seen it in a long time.)

Lol, so my name is pronounced the French way. Very fun
I am returning once again (hopefully for good). I will be updating Affliction regularly and reviewing other people's fics every so often. If you would like to request a review, then please send me a PM.

My Parody of Pure Awesomeness (requires some context to fully appreciate): Sir. Aaron - A Parody
Old November 18th, 2008 (9:44 PM).
Taunter

Nature: Lonely
I'm going to guess Monty Python and the Holy Grail as well, although... yeah, I haven't seen it in forever either. D:

-Taunter the Haunter
-(ゴースト Ghost)
-Team Wilhelm "Leader"
-Gas Pokémon
-5'03" & 0.2 lbs
-Lvl. 65
-And he talks?!
-"Hau hau! Why yes, your soul looks very delicious..."
Old November 18th, 2008 (10:23 PM).
Remember NovEnder

No to the Monty Python. I've never seen that movie. o_O

A bug in Ender's Game

Old November 18th, 2008 (10:29 PM).

YOU'VE NEVER SEEN MONTY PYTHON?!?!?!?!? WE DEMAND YOU GO AND RENT IT, RIGHT NOW, NO MATTER YOUR TIME!

No, seriously, it's a great movie. You really need to see it.

Well, umm, I'm kinda stumped on this one. It kinda sounds Harry Potterish, but I can't be completely certain. (Darn me and seeing too many movies involving dungeons/tasks/mudkipz.)

Old November 18th, 2008 (10:30 PM).
Peace & Goodwill
Gold Tier

It's obviously Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But I'm already in the orgy, so the free pass is wasted upon me.

...I keep rediscovering how much of a jerk I am. XD So I deem that the pass goes to whoever claims it first.

And oh good lord, good lord oh, good oh lord, lord oh good. Astinus hasn't seen MPatHG. How is this possible?

sig art by かんな
Old November 18th, 2008 (10:34 PM).

Quote:
It's obviously Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. But I'm already in the orgy, so the free pass is wasted upon me.
Ooooooohhhhhh. I haven't seen that one, which definitely explains why I couldn't figure it out. I think the only Indiana Jones movie I have seen was Raiders of the Lost Ark, and that was years ago. I should probably revisit that movie and watch all of the others o.O

Old November 18th, 2008 (10:45 PM).
Remember NovEnder

Temple of Doom is my favorite one. =P For a lot of reasons.

I don't have time to watch a lot of movies. I buy a few, but I don't watch them right away. Like, I have two Vince Vaughn movies to watch sitting in my DVD drawer (and Fred Claus coming out in less than a week), and they just sit there because I don't, or can't, watch movies. Same with actively watching any television. I'm always doing something else.

Or I could just go with Meg Griffin's excuse: "I'm a girl! I don't like Monty Python!"

A bug in Ender's Game

Old November 18th, 2008 (10:47 PM).
Peace & Goodwill
Gold Tier

I think Raiders was the best, followed by Last Crusade, Temple of Doom, and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The last one just didn't cut it for me.

And Astinus, I'm hooking you up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcLQRXW6B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

sig art by かんな
Old November 18th, 2008 (10:50 PM).

Quote:
I don't have time to watch a lot of movies. I buy a few, but I don't watch them right away.
I know what you mean about not having time. I have school and work pretty much eating my life, and I read/play video games in my spare time while checking here for updates and whatnot. I don't think I've actually sat down and watched a movie in like three months now, and that was when I went to see a movie with my fiance.

Old November 18th, 2008 (10:56 PM).
Remember NovEnder

Your plan has been foiled, txteclipse! My laptop hates Youtube, so I can't go onto the site unless I want my laptop to explode into flames. And right now, I like my pants.

And, well, I'm too busy reading to watch a movie. Like I said, there's always something else that I'm doing so I can't give my full attention to anything. Plus, my mind wanders horrifically during a movie, so I get restless when watching a movie.

Oh gods. I hated the fourth movie. So horrible there was nothing for me to even quote from there, or act out like the other three after I saw it. I just went "D:" and then watched the first three.

A bug in Ender's Game

Old November 18th, 2008 (11:03 PM).

Quote:
And, well, I'm too busy reading to watch a movie. Like I said, there's always something else that I'm doing so I can't give my full attention to anything. Plus, my mind wanders horrifically during a movie, so I get restless when watching a movie.
Are you sure you're not, like, my long-lost sister or something? I have that same problem. I have to multitask just about every minute of the day. I blame my ADD. That's also why I say random things. Like the occassional "I liek mudkipz" I throw in every once in a while.

Oh, I keep forgetting to ask, but what does the "+" sign by names mean in the "currently active users viewing this thread" display at the bottom? I am quite mystified by it.

Old November 18th, 2008 (11:08 PM).
Remember NovEnder

Perhaps. It wouldn't be the first time I suddenly found that I share a lot of qualities with someone that's rather freaky. But yeah, I get really bored if I sit there and watch a movie sometimes. I'm always moving somehow, either shifting constantly in my seat or just getting up and leaving for a few minutes. And then after I watch a movie, I tend to run outside because I want to move.

Quote:
Oh, I keep forgetting to ask, but what does the "+" sign by names mean in the "currently active users viewing this thread" display at the bottom? I am quite mystified by it.
It means you have that person added to your own Friends List here. XD

A bug in Ender's Game

Old November 18th, 2008 (11:11 PM).

Quote:
It means you have that person added to your own Friends List here. XD
Oooooooohhhhhhhhh. For the longest time I was thinking it was that the person had multiple tabs/pages open, and before that thought it meant they were replying to the thread or were in a subforum. Thanks for that information.

Wow, I just realized how few people here I have on my friends list. I shall change that!

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links