Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Old September 25th, 2016 (7:17 AM). Edited September 25th, 2016 by mej71.
Nature: Naughty
Hi, I'm making a fan game and I was wondering what Pokémon should the starters be?
Should I add old Pokémon as starters or should I make my own starters, and if I should make my own starters, what should that Pokémon be based after?
Right now, the game has no title and a bit of story, but I decided to ask so it would appeal to more people.
Anyways, thanks!

Relevant Advertising!

Old September 25th, 2016 (2:48 PM).
Nature: Quirky
what you base your starters should somehow reflect the region or the game you're representing.

I mean if you want to add fakemon why stop at the starters? If you're rehashing old favorites, people might be more familiar but it lessens the uniqueness of the game somewhat. There are already 721+ a seventh generation about to come out. I'm up for well-designed fakemon and old favorites. (If your fakes look corny/derivative and are unbalanced they can take away from the game, as well.)

Do you have an idea where this game is set? What themes your game will cover? If you can answer those two questions, then you can make your own decision.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=375757
Old September 28th, 2016 (6:48 AM).

Personally, one of my favorite things about starters is what secondary types they gain. It breaks away from the Grass>Water>Fire triangle and gives the starters a bit of variety. Of course, a pure-typed final evolution of a starter has become rare, so you could keep one or two of the starters as a pure-type all the way through. I am not opposed to the idea of choosing completely new types for your starters as well, but it would be important to keep the triangle of effectiveness if you pick new ones.

Above all else, though: Please, pretty please, do not invent another Fire/Fighting starter line.
Old October 7th, 2016 (7:03 AM). Edited October 13th, 2016 by Quilva.
Bored and lazy game dev

Nature: Lonely
Above all, your game should have something unique; a reason to be played instead of all the other Pokemon fangames being made here.

EDIT: Since I sorta misunderstood the point of the thread; you can still apply what I said to starters. Maybe make it a Fighting, Psychic, Dark triangle, maybe make it so they don't even have anything to do with each other or make the player start in a for example water based area and just give him choice between water starters and make the early game around that, etc. Basically add something new and different.

Don't think that many people like Fakemon though.
Old October 11th, 2016 (4:43 PM).

make a defensive fire poison type
Ability: with flash fire as hidden ability and blaze as normal
Moves: give it knock off recover sludge bomb and wilo whisp .

a fast ghost grass type
Ability: hidden ability sap sipper overgrow as normal
Moves: give it moves such as shadow ball leaf storm leaf blade.

and a water psychic type more of a mixed between defense and offence.
Ability:hidden ability water absorb and normal is torrent.
moves: scald t wave earthquake and smack down
Old October 18th, 2016 (1:22 AM).
Instead of having the noramal fire,water and grass do something differnt. like an idea could be ice, flying and fighting.
Old October 18th, 2016 (10:09 AM).

I honestly like something like Eevee more from a design perspective if you're going for a more challenging experience. It lets you get started and build up a bit before needing to choose your main Pokémon's capabilities, whereas a fresh start with 3 starters basically makes you choose without having a feel about the playstyle and what types you want/need the most since you get the starter before ever getting into a battle.
Old 3 Weeks Ago (12:16 AM).

a good starter type would be electricke/poison electricke/dark or water/dark
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links