Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1276    
Old July 4th, 2013 (3:08 AM).
Rayquaza.'s Avatar
Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
     
    Join Date: Sep 2011
    Location: United Kingdom
    Age: 21
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Adamant
    Posts: 690
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ppooookkkkkkk View Post
    anyway here is my redesign of my summary screen.



    Looks like the original but little different still WIP.
    It's definitely an improvement from your last attempt. A lot better and there isn't such a clash of colours.

    I would recommend putting tabs in to represent the different aspects of it - Trainer Memo, Moves, Ribbons, etc.
    __________________

    Relevant Advertising!

      #1277    
    Old July 8th, 2013 (9:45 AM).
    Rayquaza.'s Avatar
    Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
    Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
       
      Join Date: Sep 2011
      Location: United Kingdom
      Age: 21
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Adamant
      Posts: 690
      All four seasons taken in Oldoak Town. Something that my never come because of the diversity of different tilesets I use for different maps:

      Spoiler:
      __________________
        #1278    
      Old July 8th, 2013 (2:17 PM).
      Maruno's Avatar
      Maruno Maruno is offline
      Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
         
        Join Date: Jan 2008
        Location: England
        Posts: 5,185
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
        All four seasons taken in Oldoak Town. Something that my never come because of the diversity of different tilesets I use for different maps:

        Spoiler:
        Does grass normally turn blue in spring and brown in autumn? Also, that's very neatly laid out snow there.
        __________________
        Go to the Pokémon Essentials Wiki

        | Downloads | Tutorials | Fangames |
        | All Animations Project |

        Follow me on Twitter: @maruno42


          #1279    
        Old July 8th, 2013 (11:12 PM).
        Rayquaza.'s Avatar
        Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
        Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
           
          Join Date: Sep 2011
          Location: United Kingdom
          Age: 21
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 690
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Maruno View Post
          Does grass normally turn blue in spring and brown in autumn? Also, that's very neatly laid out snow there.
          The biomes of the top two are taking inspiration from the seasonal colours used in BW. The bottom two were improvised and the snow I'm still working on, although I have no reason to because this feature may never come.
          __________________
            #1280    
          Old July 9th, 2013 (5:26 PM).
          Minorthreat0987 Minorthreat0987 is offline
          Pokemon Tellurium
             
            Join Date: Oct 2005
            Nature: Adamant
            Posts: 461
            Just gonna drop these here. This is what I have been working on lately regarding my project Pokemon Tellurium! Progress is going very well, so hopefully I will be creating a thread here very soon!



            These screens are showcasing the look of the battle system for my game, as well as my new starter Pokemon, designed by the wonderful Riceeman!

            Enjoy!
            __________________

            Check out my DeviantArt account for info on my new project! Pokemon Tellurium.
            My DeviantArt
              #1281    
            Old July 9th, 2013 (11:31 PM).
            Rayquaza.'s Avatar
            Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
            Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
               
              Join Date: Sep 2011
              Location: United Kingdom
              Age: 21
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 690
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Minorthreat0987 View Post
              Just gonna drop these here. This is what I have been working on lately regarding my project Pokemon Tellurium! Progress is going very well, so hopefully I will be creating a thread here very soon!



              These screens are showcasing the look of the battle system for my game, as well as my new starter Pokemon, designed by the wonderful Riceeman!

              Enjoy!
              I'm guessing the noise is there for a reason?

              Looks amazing. The battle style and backgrounds go together really well. Also its not often you see well sprited fakémon like these. Great job.
              __________________
                #1282    
              Old July 10th, 2013 (8:49 AM).
              Minorthreat0987 Minorthreat0987 is offline
              Pokemon Tellurium
                 
                Join Date: Oct 2005
                Nature: Adamant
                Posts: 461
                The noise isn't actually in the game, its just over the screens to protect the custom XY styled battle backgrounds that I did.

                Glad you like it. Thanks!
                __________________

                Check out my DeviantArt account for info on my new project! Pokemon Tellurium.
                My DeviantArt
                  #1283    
                Old July 11th, 2013 (5:16 AM).
                Radical Raptr's Avatar
                Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                #BAMFPokemonNerd
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2011
                  Location: everywhere
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Sassy
                  Posts: 1,116
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Minorthreat0987 View Post
                  Just gonna drop these here. This is what I have been working on lately regarding my project Pokemon Tellurium! Progress is going very well, so hopefully I will be creating a thread here very soon!



                  These screens are showcasing the look of the battle system for my game, as well as my new starter Pokemon, designed by the wonderful Riceeman!

                  Enjoy!
                  awe inspiring, its all just fantastic. Great work, it's simple, yet refined; very close to the original games but with a great custom flare - just fantastic (the sprites are even better)

                  (now time for my stuff)
                  here is my custom door (animation)

                  it fits the hg/ss style OW's very nicely and looks very good IMO, but I wanna know what you guys think


                  and here is me play testing my test map, showcasing my - not only improved map area but also - my custom grass+dirt mountain crossover, as well as custom dirt mountain tile

                  -as I mentioned before its customized kyledove tiles and customized erma96's grass with some custom tiles of my own-
                  __________________

                  ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                    #1284    
                  Old July 11th, 2013 (9:48 AM).
                  nuzamaki90's Avatar
                  nuzamaki90 nuzamaki90 is offline
                  Knight of The Volt
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2008
                    Location: North Carolina
                    Age: 23
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 98
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
                    awe inspiring, its all just fantastic. Great work, it's simple, yet refined; very close to the original games but with a great custom flare - just fantastic (the sprites are even better)

                    (now time for my stuff)
                    here is my custom door (animation)

                    it fits the hg/ss style OW's very nicely and looks very good IMO, but I wanna know what you guys think


                    and here is me play testing my test map, showcasing my - not only improved map area but also - my custom grass+dirt mountain crossover, as well as custom dirt mountain tile

                    -as I mentioned before its customized kyledove tiles and customized erma96's grass with some custom tiles of my own-
                    That screenshot is really cool, and the door's animation looks like it's coming out great. Although, I know you said the tiles aren't final, but they do look like they would go better with GBA-styled OWs (RSE/FRLG) rather than HGSS and DP.
                      #1285    
                    Old July 11th, 2013 (10:59 AM).
                    Radical Raptr's Avatar
                    Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                    #BAMFPokemonNerd
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2011
                      Location: everywhere
                      Age: 22
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Sassy
                      Posts: 1,116
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by nuzamaki90 View Post
                      That screenshot is really cool, and the door's animation looks like it's coming out great. Although, I know you said the tiles aren't final, but they do look like they would go better with GBA-styled OWs (RSE/FRLG) rather than HGSS and DP.
                      most of it is a little more detailed than GBA style, but the mountain tiles are something i wanna change in light of something taller
                      __________________

                      ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                        #1286    
                      Old July 15th, 2013 (3:43 AM).
                      Harvey_Create's Avatar
                      Harvey_Create Harvey_Create is offline
                      Pokemon Apex Team Member
                         
                        Join Date: Nov 2012
                        Location: Iowa
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 188
                        Here is My Screenshot. Not really story based, just testing tiles, new resolution, and Speech Bar.
                        Spoiler:
                        __________________
                        This signature has been disabled.
                        Exceeds signature width limit (strictly 600 pixels or less).
                        Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

                        You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

                        Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                          #1287    
                        Old July 20th, 2013 (3:44 AM).
                        Harvey_Create's Avatar
                        Harvey_Create Harvey_Create is offline
                        Pokemon Apex Team Member
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2012
                          Location: Iowa
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Naughty
                          Posts: 188
                          Here is a Screenshot of my personal game Pokemon(To Be Determined. Currently Zentro)

                          __________________
                          This signature has been disabled.
                          Exceeds signature width limit (strictly 600 pixels or less).
                          Please review and fix the issues by reading the signature rules.

                          You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

                          Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                            #1288    
                          Old August 2nd, 2013 (8:54 AM).
                          Rayquaza.'s Avatar
                          Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
                          Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2011
                            Location: United Kingdom
                            Age: 21
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Adamant
                            Posts: 690


                            From left-right; here is an insight of the graphical made from May-August (July was an inactive month).
                            __________________
                              #1289    
                            Old August 2nd, 2013 (9:30 AM).
                            Radical Raptr's Avatar
                            Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                            #BAMFPokemonNerd
                               
                              Join Date: Mar 2011
                              Location: everywhere
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Sassy
                              Posts: 1,116
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post


                              From left-right; here is an insight of the graphical made from May-August (July was an inactive month).
                              Great improvement, you added nice terrain and gave the area more definition. Everything looks fine, except the cave entrance looks a little small, almost like you'd have to duck to get in, its fine if that's what you're going for, but making it a little taller might be a good idea - everything else looks good, although you may want to add more decoration to the underwater
                              (unless you have and it's not shown due to how close it is to the edge)
                              __________________

                              ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                                #1290    
                              Old August 2nd, 2013 (9:35 AM).
                              Rayquaza.'s Avatar
                              Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
                              Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2011
                                Location: United Kingdom
                                Age: 21
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Adamant
                                Posts: 690
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
                                Great improvement, you added nice terrain and gave the area more definition. Everything looks fine, except the cave entrance looks a little small, almost like you'd have to duck to get in, its fine if that's what you're going for, but making it a little taller might be a good idea - everything else looks good, although you may want to add more decoration to the underwater
                                (unless you have and it's not shown due to how close it is to the edge)
                                Thanks. It's still a work in progress but was submitted to show oncoming improvements before the next demo.
                                __________________
                                  #1291    
                                Old August 3rd, 2013 (7:19 AM).
                                Pia Carrot's Avatar
                                Pia Carrot Pia Carrot is online now
                                Let's play a game...
                                • Silver Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Aug 2010
                                Age: 22
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Adamant
                                Posts: 753
                                Our hero Mina Lancaster awakens in a strange world, frozen by an aggressive Articuno. The player can expect tricky ice puzzles, lots of hidden items, rare Pokémon otherwise uncatchable, and an awesome storyline.

                                __________________


                                  #1292    
                                Old August 3rd, 2013 (6:53 PM).
                                Radical Raptr's Avatar
                                Radical Raptr Radical Raptr is offline
                                #BAMFPokemonNerd
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2011
                                  Location: everywhere
                                  Age: 22
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Sassy
                                  Posts: 1,116
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Evil Arms View Post
                                  Our hero Mina Lancaster awakens in a strange world, frozen by an aggressive Articuno. The player can expect tricky ice puzzles, lots of hidden items, rare Pokémon otherwise uncatchable, and an awesome storyline.

                                  haha, looks like I'm not the only one working on some Gen2 tiles
                                  I love the ice sculpture things, and Ice was always an annoying puzzle, much like the water temple of the pokemon world x.x
                                  looks very interesting from what I can tell, and the layout appears fine

                                  Heres a test of some tiles I've been messing with:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  __________________

                                  ~My Deviantart - Litharreon Wiki - Litharreon Game Download~

                                    #1293    
                                  Old August 4th, 2013 (9:40 AM).
                                  tImE's Avatar
                                  tImE tImE is offline
                                  It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                     
                                    Join Date: Mar 2007
                                    Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                    Nature: Relaxed
                                    Posts: 689
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Saving Raven View Post
                                    Heres a test of some tiles I've been messing with:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    Looks pretty good.
                                    I'd recommend not overusing the "checkered shading" like you've done on the trees, though.
                                    Try using the clean colors for big areas and only use the checkered shading for shading.
                                    It can look really messy otherwise.

                                    ---------------

                                    Here's a screenshot from my game Pokémon: Blaze Red, featuring Cerulean City.

                                    __________________
                                      #1294    
                                    Old August 7th, 2013 (7:18 PM).
                                    PuzzledPsyduck's Avatar
                                    PuzzledPsyduck PuzzledPsyduck is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jun 2013
                                      Posts: 18
                                      Spoiler:

                                      Some shots from the game I'm messing around on, mostly just making sure the party movement and area transition stuff works correctly. It has a few problems (in the third screenshot you can see that the last two members are walking incorrectly), but it's a simple fix.

                                      I'm also wondering whether or not the way I've done the building interiors works with the first generation graphics; mainly the walls having tops on them.

                                      The red patch in the second shot is just a place I havn't put water yet.
                                        #1295    
                                      Old August 7th, 2013 (10:28 PM).
                                      Worldslayer608's Avatar
                                      Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                                      ಥдಥ
                                      • Silver Tier
                                       
                                      Join Date: Mar 2008
                                      Location: San Diego
                                      Age: 28
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Nature: Calm
                                      Posts: 892
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by tImE View Post
                                      Looks pretty good.
                                      I'd recommend not overusing the "checkered shading" like you've done on the trees, though.
                                      Try using the clean colors for big areas and only use the checkered shading for shading.
                                      It can look really messy otherwise.
                                      It looks like it is a color restriction issue. I do not see a darker shade of green anywhere on that map that can compensate in the shading of the tree anyways, so I am assuming there is a limited color pallet.

                                      On the other hand, that character's coloring makes me thing otherwise.

                                      A good example of a style guide gone wrong. Easy fix though. Pick one or the other and make them match.


                                      Quote:
                                      Here's a screenshot from my game Pokémon: Blaze Red, featuring Cerulean City.

                                      I am really bothered by the outlines on the barricades.

                                      Looks good though other than that.

                                      Have you experimented with different colors other than the HGSS ones for the road tiles?
                                      __________________



                                      SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                                      HARDCORE EDITION
                                      To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                                      Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                                        #1296    
                                      Old August 8th, 2013 (6:14 AM).
                                      tImE's Avatar
                                      tImE tImE is offline
                                      It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                         
                                        Join Date: Mar 2007
                                        Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                        Nature: Relaxed
                                        Posts: 689
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
                                        I am really bothered by the outlines on the barricades.

                                        Looks good though other than that.

                                        Have you experimented with different colors other than the HGSS ones for the road tiles?
                                        The reason for the outlines on the barricades are that they are events. They aren't tiles.
                                        They're supposed to disappear after the Rocket Grunt has been defeated, and I want to distinguish between tiles and events graphicwise, so the player knows that it is an event. I will do the same with the Eeveelution ice and moss rocks to make it more obvious it is something more than just decoration.

                                        And what do you mean HGSS colors? I have chosen these colors myself using MSpaint.
                                        And no, I haven't really tried any different colors for the actual road, since I already think it looks good.

                                        Thanks for the comment!
                                        __________________
                                          #1297    
                                        Old August 8th, 2013 (10:26 AM).
                                        Worldslayer608's Avatar
                                        Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                                        ಥдಥ
                                        • Silver Tier
                                         
                                        Join Date: Mar 2008
                                        Location: San Diego
                                        Age: 28
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Calm
                                        Posts: 892
                                        I honestly, feel something like barricades do not need to stand out with the use of outlines.

                                        They already stand out with the whole "WTF is this in my way" reaction players get when they come across them blocking a path.

                                        Abnormal tiles, should not have outlines just to stand out. They naturally stand out and intrigue your player by simply existing and looking out of the norm or obstructing a path towards completing a goal.

                                        Just my opinion though.

                                        Well that purple-blue kind of road from HGSS stands out a lot and every time I see it, it turns my stomach upside down. I have always thought the colors were pretty ugly and I think your map could benefit for having it's own take on the road, even if it is just typical light grey sidewalk with dark charcoal colored roads with the same tiles, idk. Those colors really remind me of HGSS. If it were something like a building, I might not notice it as much... but yeah.
                                        __________________



                                        SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                                        HARDCORE EDITION
                                        To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                                        Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                                          #1298    
                                        Old August 8th, 2013 (10:49 AM).
                                        tImE's Avatar
                                        tImE tImE is offline
                                        It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                           
                                          Join Date: Mar 2007
                                          Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                          Nature: Relaxed
                                          Posts: 689
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
                                          Well that purple-blue kind of road from HGSS stands out a lot and every time I see it, it turns my stomach upside down. I have always thought the colors were pretty ugly and I think your map could benefit for having it's own take on the road, even if it is just typical light grey sidewalk with dark charcoal colored roads with the same tiles, idk. Those colors really remind me of HGSS. If it were something like a building, I might not notice it as much... but yeah.
                                          Again you say HGSS. The road is made by me with no references used, either tile or colorwise, but if it's just the colors you are concerned about, it's actually the day/night system that is messing with the colors. They are A LOT less purple in full daylight.

                                          EDIT: Here's a comparison, showing the tile in normal light:
                                          __________________
                                            #1299    
                                          Old August 8th, 2013 (10:55 AM).
                                          Worldslayer608's Avatar
                                          Worldslayer608 Worldslayer608 is offline
                                          ಥдಥ
                                          • Silver Tier
                                           
                                          Join Date: Mar 2008
                                          Location: San Diego
                                          Age: 28
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Calm
                                          Posts: 892
                                          Oh, wow. Eww. Are you using stock Essential shades? Guess I was thrown off because the grass and flowers still look like they have normal coloring.
                                          __________________



                                          SMEARGLE SOLO CHALLENGE
                                          HARDCORE EDITION
                                          To vanquish without peril is to triumph without glory...
                                          Voted Best Game Designer 2011 on PC
                                            #1300    
                                          Old August 8th, 2013 (11:30 AM).
                                          tImE's Avatar
                                          tImE tImE is offline
                                          It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                             
                                            Join Date: Mar 2007
                                            Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                            Nature: Relaxed
                                            Posts: 689
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by ЩѻƦḽᶑʂḽдƴƹƦ™ View Post
                                            Oh, wow. Eww. Are you using stock Essential shades? Guess I was thrown off because the grass and flowers still look like they have normal coloring.
                                            Yeah, I am using stock shade at the moment. I'd like to change it, but I'm lazy and making the new colors takes time. :/
                                            __________________
                                            Closed Thread

                                            Quick Reply

                                            Join the conversation!

                                            Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                            Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                            Sponsored Links
                                            Thread Tools

                                            Posting Rules
                                            You may not post new threads
                                            You may not post replies
                                            You may not post attachments
                                            You may not edit your posts

                                            BB code is On
                                            Smilies are On
                                            [IMG] code is On
                                            HTML code is Off

                                            Forum Jump


                                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:23 AM.