Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1526    
Old March 23rd, 2014 (4:57 PM).
Rayd12smitty's Avatar
Rayd12smitty Rayd12smitty is offline
Shadow Maker
     
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 647
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by th3shark View Post
    I've been making several new moves for Pokemon Evoas, but this is my favorite so far:



    Suplex! A basic fighting type move. Also Jigglypuff is now Normal-Fighting, as shown by the bandanna.
    I said it the other night and I'll say it again, this is beautiful! It's amazing how much work you would put into just a single move.
    __________________

    Relevant Advertising!

      #1527    
    Old March 23rd, 2014 (5:32 PM).
    th3shark's Avatar
    th3shark th3shark is offline
    Develops in AS3/C++
       
      Join Date: Jul 2013
      Location: Connecticut
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Calm
      Posts: 79
      Thanks, this move took a while to get right! Suplex and Jigglypuff's new look were inspired by the smash bros. series.
      __________________
        #1528    
      Old March 23rd, 2014 (6:32 PM).
      Gexeys's Avatar
      Gexeys Gexeys is offline
      Location: Ilex Forest shrine
         
        Join Date: Dec 2013
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 70
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post


        Making a small intro.
        All I can think of is Pokemon Auburn.. you should change it more, it looks too similar, the text, map layout, the whole introduction is just a rip off.
        __________________
          #1529    
        Old March 25th, 2014 (1:48 AM).
        Varion Bluefire's Avatar
        Varion Bluefire Varion Bluefire is offline
        A.K.A The Glitch
           
          Join Date: Apr 2013
          Age: 22
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 662
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Gexeys View Post
          All I can think of is Pokemon Auburn.. you should change it more, it looks too similar, the text, map layout, the whole introduction is just a rip off.
          It's not exactly "Auburn Exclusive" lots of games have used this as an intro.
          And the map, I don't see how i've taken a map?

          That's an island with a cave on.

          iirc, There's no island with a cave in their intro sequence.

          As for the font, it's the basic Pokémon font.
          __________________

          Just strollin' to my next destination...
            #1530    
          Old March 27th, 2014 (4:53 PM).
          Rayd12smitty's Avatar
          Rayd12smitty Rayd12smitty is offline
          Shadow Maker
             
            Join Date: Dec 2011
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 647


            After a long time, I finally decided (finalized my decision, not changing again) which HMs I am going to include in Melanite. The last one, and the one that is not by default included in Pokemon Essentials is Rock Climb!

            I added in the functioning for it and added some fancy rock climbing animations and am pretty happy with how it turned out! Rock Climb won't be usable until you defeat the 7th gym.

            __________________
              #1531    
            Old March 27th, 2014 (6:24 PM).
            joeyhugg's Avatar
            joeyhugg joeyhugg is offline
               
              Join Date: Apr 2013
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 384
              I have been trying to implement Rock Climb for a while. How did you do this?!
              __________________
                #1532    
              Old March 27th, 2014 (7:09 PM).
              Rayd12smitty's Avatar
              Rayd12smitty Rayd12smitty is offline
              Shadow Maker
                 
                Join Date: Dec 2011
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 647
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
                I have been trying to implement Rock Climb for a while. How did you do this?!
                Pretty much copy and pasted waterfall, added a tile for the rocky wall, and changed everything that checked for waterfall to rockclimb, check for water tiles to my new rocky tile, and then made a few small edits. It was slightly harder making it work with the following pokemon script but I got it to work pretty good. Adding the animation was weird though XD everything was shifted around weird so I had to make some adjustments.
                __________________
                  #1533    
                Old March 28th, 2014 (12:30 AM).
                tImE's Avatar
                tImE tImE is offline
                It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2007
                  Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 685
                  That looks really awesome Rayd!
                  Best of luck with your game!
                  __________________
                    #1534    
                  Old March 28th, 2014 (11:44 AM).
                  Derxwna Kapsyla's Avatar
                  Derxwna Kapsyla Derxwna Kapsyla is offline
                  [Primal Despair] Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2011
                    Location: Margate, FL
                    Age: 24
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Lax
                    Posts: 397

                    Thanks to FL's help on helping us figure out how to bind fly to an item, and for my friend Mugendai for finishing the Mini Teleporter script for Touhoumon: Faith & Prayer Version based on FL's documentation, I was able to add the Mini Teleporter to my game. However, I decided to take it a step further.
                    A friend of mine commissioned a Touhoumon fangame out of me a while back, and the main character can fly around naturally. Unfortunately, without the fly code's knowledge cracked, I couldn't emulate this. Now that we have the knowledge, I managed to bind the code I have for the Mini Teleporter to the Pause Menu, so now the player can fly to locations they've visited without a fancy item or a Pokemon/Puppet who can use Fly.
                    Right now the code has some kinks that need to be worked out, like the pause menu doesn't disappear if you select Flight and then close out of it, and I have yet to test if this will actually work as Touhoumon Underground has no maps with flight points yet.
                    __________________
                    Development Blog:
                    For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
                    Game Projects:
                    In Progress:
                      #1535    
                    Old April 3rd, 2014 (4:23 AM).
                    PuzzledPsyduck's Avatar
                    PuzzledPsyduck PuzzledPsyduck is offline
                       
                      Join Date: Jun 2013
                      Posts: 18

                      I'm just messing around a bit with color and lighting with Generation 2 tiles in my continuing mostly-just-messing-around project. The particles floating around are meant to make it look dusty, so I'm going to have to work on them a bit.
                        #1536    
                      Old April 3rd, 2014 (6:19 AM).
                      tImE's Avatar
                      tImE tImE is offline
                      It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                         
                        Join Date: Mar 2007
                        Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                        Nature: Relaxed
                        Posts: 685
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by PuzzledPsyduck View Post

                        I'm just messing around a bit with color and lighting with Generation 2 tiles in my continuing mostly-just-messing-around project. The particles floating around are meant to make it look dusty, so I'm going to have to work on them a bit.
                        To get a nice dust effect, if possible, try to have them only visible in the light.
                        You can't really see dust in the dark, however it is common to see dust in rays of light, coming from lamps or windows.
                        __________________
                          #1537    
                        Old April 3rd, 2014 (6:38 AM).
                        Skystrike's Avatar
                        Skystrike Skystrike is offline
                        • Silver Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2008
                        Location: internet
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Quiet
                        Posts: 1,533
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by th3shark View Post
                        I've been making several new moves for Pokemon Evoas, but this is my favorite so far:



                        Suplex! A basic fighting type move. Also Jigglypuff is now Normal-Fighting, as shown by the bandanna.
                        Amazing!!

                        I'll definitely have to watch Evoas now (I've looked at the thread before ;) )

                        can jigglypuff suplex trains
                        __________________

                        I lack toast and am tolerant
                          #1538    
                        Old April 4th, 2014 (11:21 AM).
                        Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre's Avatar
                        Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre is offline
                        Grand Duke
                           
                          Join Date: Dec 2013
                          Location: Vaniville Town, Kalos
                          Age: 22
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 113
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre View Post
                          It's based on the state of Oregon where I live, so that's part of the reason why it may suck, also since I can't make the actual game (due to the economy) all I have is to make this map, I'll probably try to make it better by getting the materials, and starting from scratch. I know it's not the best, but again it's all I have so I'm going to do what I can to make it better, but don't expect awesome town maps.
                          If any one wants to try to make a better Oregon Region map using the map base I'm posting, please PM me with the map when you're done making it.
                          Attached Thumbnails
                          Remake of Oregon Region map.png‎  
                          __________________
                          Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre
                          "Regardless the circumstances, I intend to question the defendant with all I have. *takes off glasses* For that is a part of my creed. -Miles Edgeworth in episode 5 of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destines Check out my story Pokemon Dual Dimensions
                            #1539    
                          Old April 4th, 2014 (1:59 PM).
                          WackyTurtle's Avatar
                          WackyTurtle WackyTurtle is offline
                          Developer
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2011
                            Location: England
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Posts: 125
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Legendary_Trainer_Alexandre View Post
                            If any one wants to try to make a better Oregon Region map using the map base I'm posting, please PM me with the map when you're done making it.
                            You shouldn't be relying on someone else making your map, I think most people around here have better things to do. However, if you listen to advice, make some adjustments or improvements of your own and post the results here I'm sure you'll get plenty of useful feedback.

                            Quote:
                            It's based on the state of Oregon where I live, so that's part of the reason why it may suck, also since I can't make the actual game (due to the economy) all I have is to make this map, I'll probably try to make it better by getting the materials, and starting from scratch. I know it's not the best, but again it's all I have so I'm going to do what I can to make it better, but don't expect awesome town maps.
                            Why does the town map have to be based on Oregon? It's not exactly the most interestingly shaped landmass. Maybe you could experiment a bit and try making up your own world? Remember that most maps serve as the basis for fun and interesting gameplay, meaning the route the player takes shouldn't be linear and should cover a diverse selection of terrain.
                            __________________
                              #1540    
                            Old April 6th, 2014 (8:27 PM).
                            BlackWaltz3's Avatar
                            BlackWaltz3 BlackWaltz3 is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2009
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 188
                              Seeing the discussion about region maps inspired me to have a go. I've done a number of HGSS-styled region maps before, but never a BW-styled one. A couple of hours of experimenting and tweaking later, I have a BW-styled custom region. I present to you: Serri.



                              All of the locations are aligned to the grid prescribed by Essentials, for easy in-game use if and when I decide to do so. Those two bridges in the middle still don't look like bridges, though. I blame verticality.
                                #1541    
                              Old April 7th, 2014 (2:37 AM).
                              joeyhugg's Avatar
                              joeyhugg joeyhugg is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2013
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 384
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by jim42 View Post
                                Seeing the discussion about region maps inspired me to have a go. I've done a number of HGSS-styled region maps before, but never a BW-styled one. A couple of hours of experimenting and tweaking later, I have a BW-styled custom region. I present to you: Serri.



                                All of the locations are aligned to the grid prescribed by Essentials, for easy in-game use if and when I decide to do so. Those two bridges in the middle still don't look like bridges, though. I blame verticality.
                                There is no image here. Can you upload it to an alternate site, like imgur or photobucket?
                                __________________
                                  #1542    
                                Old April 7th, 2014 (3:29 AM).
                                tImE's Avatar
                                tImE tImE is offline
                                It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                   
                                  Join Date: Mar 2007
                                  Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 685
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by joeyhugg View Post
                                  There is no image here. Can you upload it to an alternate site, like imgur or photobucket?
                                  I can see the image just fine.
                                  Maybe there's a problem with your web browser?
                                  __________________
                                    #1543    
                                  Old April 7th, 2014 (10:39 AM). Edited April 7th, 2014 by Rayquaza..
                                  Rayquaza.'s Avatar
                                  Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
                                  Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
                                     
                                    Join Date: Sep 2011
                                    Location: United Kingdom
                                    Age: 20
                                    Gender: Male
                                    Nature: Adamant
                                    Posts: 687
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by jim42 View Post
                                    Seeing the discussion about region maps inspired me to have a go. I've done a number of HGSS-styled region maps before, but never a BW-styled one. A couple of hours of experimenting and tweaking later, I have a BW-styled custom region. I present to you: Serri.



                                    All of the locations are aligned to the grid prescribed by Essentials, for easy in-game use if and when I decide to do so. Those two bridges in the middle still don't look like bridges, though. I blame verticality.
                                    Awesome map bro. If you want to fix the bridges I'd take a look at how gamefreak did it for this map.

                                    See the shading? If you apply that to your map & experiment some more I think it'd make a flawless map.

                                    Good luck.

                                    On the topic of region maps, I've polished mine a bit and here's the result:
                                    Spoiler:
                                    __________________
                                      #1544    
                                    Old April 7th, 2014 (1:55 PM).
                                    tImE's Avatar
                                    tImE tImE is offline
                                    It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                       
                                      Join Date: Mar 2007
                                      Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                      Nature: Relaxed
                                      Posts: 685
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
                                      On the topic of region maps, I've polished mine a bit and here's the result:
                                      Spoiler:
                                      I won't comment on the route-path design, because honestly, it doesn't really matter and yours look fine.
                                      As for the actual graphics of the map:

                                      +Good base spriting.
                                      +Simple and good design

                                      -The coasts of the land and islands are way too smooth. Look at official maps or jim42's. More irregular coasts look better.
                                      -The same goes for the transitions. More irregularitys and not so smooth edges between sand and forest would be better.
                                      -The water lack texture and the depth-transitions are kind of bland. It's really boring as it is, compared to the water in jim42's map for example. You can try simply adding a texture on top of the water layer, that should suffice, but I personally think improving the transitions between deep and shallow water is needed too.

                                      7/10
                                      __________________
                                        #1545    
                                      Old April 7th, 2014 (2:06 PM).
                                      Rayquaza.'s Avatar
                                      Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
                                      Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
                                         
                                        Join Date: Sep 2011
                                        Location: United Kingdom
                                        Age: 20
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Adamant
                                        Posts: 687
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by tImE View Post
                                        I won't comment on the route-path design, because honestly, it doesn't really matter and yours look fine.
                                        As for the actual graphics of the map:

                                        +Good base spriting.
                                        +Simple and good design

                                        -The coasts of the land and islands are way too smooth. Look at official maps or jim42's. More irregular coasts look better.
                                        -The same goes for the transitions. More irregularitys and not so smooth edges between sand and forest would be better.
                                        -The water lack texture and the depth-transitions are kind of bland. It's really boring as it is, compared to the water in jim42's map for example. You can try simply adding a texture on top of the water layer, that should suffice, but I personally think improving the transitions between deep and shallow water is needed too.

                                        7/10
                                        Thanks. I'm fairly new to doing region maps and this'll really help for the next set of improvements. I currently don't know how to set about adding texture and how I should make the shores less smooth but I'll do a couple of experiments and resubmit later.

                                        Thanks.
                                        __________________
                                          #1546    
                                        Old April 7th, 2014 (4:16 PM).
                                        BlackWaltz3's Avatar
                                        BlackWaltz3 BlackWaltz3 is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jul 2009
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Posts: 188
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
                                          I currently don't know how to set about adding texture and how I should make the shores less smooth but I'll do a couple of experiments and resubmit later.
                                          What I did was take the forest texture from here http://the-godlings-rapture.deviantart.com/art/Unova-Map-Kit-315598823 and overlay it on the water layer with a transparency of about 30%. Of course, this requires Photoshop or a similar program, so if you're using Paint you'll need to find another solution.

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
                                          Awesome map bro. If you want to fix the bridges I'd take a look at how gamefreak did it for this map.

                                          See the shading? If you apply that to your map & experiment some more I think it'd make a flawless map.
                                          Could you elaborate some more? The trouble I had lies in that the bridges are vertical (see between the BW and 3r watermarks) whereas the ones in Unova are (mostly) horizontal. As such, it's hard to make any clear distinction of height.
                                            #1547    
                                          Old April 7th, 2014 (10:09 PM). Edited April 7th, 2014 by Rayquaza..
                                          Rayquaza.'s Avatar
                                          Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
                                          Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
                                             
                                            Join Date: Sep 2011
                                            Location: United Kingdom
                                            Age: 20
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Adamant
                                            Posts: 687
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by jim42 View Post
                                            What I did was take the forest texture from here http://the-godlings-rapture.deviantart.com/art/Unova-Map-Kit-315598823 and overlay it on the water layer with a transparency of about 30%. Of course, this requires Photoshop or a similar program, so if you're using Paint you'll need to find another solution.


                                            Could you elaborate some more? The trouble I had lies in that the bridges are vertical (see between the BW and 3r watermarks) whereas the ones in Unova are (mostly) horizontal. As such, it's hard to make any clear distinction of height.
                                            Thanks for the tip, as it happens that's what I used to make the map. Focusing on one thing at a time, how's this? I've made improvements to the sea parts:
                                            Spoiler:


                                            As for the vertical bridges, I'm stumped. I guess you could consider the shading required to make a horizontal bridge and somehow apply it to the vertical?
                                            __________________
                                              #1548    
                                            Old April 8th, 2014 (12:41 AM).
                                            tImE's Avatar
                                            tImE tImE is offline
                                            It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
                                               
                                              Join Date: Mar 2007
                                              Location: Somewhere in Scandinavia...
                                              Nature: Relaxed
                                              Posts: 685
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Rayquaza. View Post
                                              Thanks for the tip, as it happens that's what I used to make the map. Focusing on one thing at a time, how's this? I've made improvements to the sea parts:
                                              Spoiler:


                                              As for the vertical bridges, I'm stumped. I guess you could consider the shading required to make a horizontal bridge and somehow apply it to the vertical?
                                              That is A LOT better!
                                              Great job! :D

                                              If you're in need of a good image editing program, I recommend Paint.NET. It's not as good as Photoshop or GIMP, but it's free and easier to use than GIMP imo.

                                              And @jim42
                                              You should try to add a shadow to the vertical bridges that bulges out to the right, since they are more elevated than the routes.
                                              __________________
                                                #1549    
                                              Old April 8th, 2014 (1:16 AM).
                                              Rayquaza.'s Avatar
                                              Rayquaza. Rayquaza. is offline
                                              Lead Dev in Pokémon Chaos
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Sep 2011
                                                Location: United Kingdom
                                                Age: 20
                                                Gender: Male
                                                Nature: Adamant
                                                Posts: 687
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by tImE View Post
                                                That is A LOT better!
                                                Great job! :D

                                                If you're in need of a good image editing program, I recommend Paint.NET. It's not as good as Photoshop or GIMP, but it's free and easier to use than GIMP imo.
                                                Thanks. I'll work on the smooth edges now. I already use photoshop for all my graphical work and MS paint for simple vector graphics.
                                                __________________
                                                  #1550    
                                                Old April 9th, 2014 (6:21 PM).
                                                Derxwna Kapsyla's Avatar
                                                Derxwna Kapsyla Derxwna Kapsyla is offline
                                                [Primal Despair] Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
                                                   
                                                  Join Date: Jun 2011
                                                  Location: Margate, FL
                                                  Age: 24
                                                  Gender: Male
                                                  Nature: Lax
                                                  Posts: 397
                                                  In my opinion, there should be a thread dedicated to showing off videos (Similar to the screenshot thread), because videos can be used to capture more nifity concepts. Buuuut until that point, I feel like showing off this little thingy I made (It took me an hour to get the event kinks worked out). The sequence is from Touhoumon Underground, a side project to Faith & Prayer Version
                                                  __________________
                                                  Development Blog:
                                                  For more information future news and updates to any projects, the following blogs are where I post information. You can usually hit me with a message there when it comes to bug reports or feedback, or general conversation about something.
                                                  Game Projects:
                                                  In Progress:
                                                  Closed Thread
                                                  Quick Reply

                                                  Sponsored Links
                                                  Thread Tools

                                                  Posting Rules
                                                  You may not post new threads
                                                  You may not post replies
                                                  You may not post attachments
                                                  You may not edit your posts

                                                  BB code is On
                                                  Smilies are On
                                                  [IMG] code is On
                                                  HTML code is Off

                                                  Forum Jump


                                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:38 PM.