• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokémon Getting Too Tedious?

Is Pokémon tedious?

• Total voters
Years
Well, think about it. Ever since we got Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version, the basic idea has been very much the same. In fact, there is really very little difference between all the games, when it comes right down to it.

I would like to mention here that this thread only concerns games such as Red, Blue, Stadium, Gale of Darkness, Diamond, and Battle Revolution. It does not concern Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, Snap, or anything else.

Please keep your thoughts limited to these games.

You = Trainer
You catch Pokémon.
You train Pokémon.
You battle Pokémon.
You save the Pokémon world from some dumb evil organization.
You catch a required legendary Pokémon.
You win Gym Badges.
You beat the Elite Four and Champion.
You EV train.
You breed for IVs, Natures, and egg moves.
You start a new game for that legendary Pokémon you need for your team because the one you already caught is crap.
You kick me in the head for coming up with such a long list, then go back to repeating this process over and over again.

Honestly, it's the same thing, rehashed constantly. Not even Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are any exception to this.

As for me, this is getting too tedious for me to really continue with it. I doubt even the upcoming Platinum Version will keep me interested.

Then again, I take no joy from Shoddy, either. You didn't work for your Pokémon there, you made them, and the people in the chat rooms are usually talking about something dumb, such as how much a certain person gets laid.

So yeah, this is getting too tedious for me. What about the rest of you?

Last edited:

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2010
It's getting a little tedious, but not ALOT. I mean, maybe they could build a different concept to the game.. i just don't know.

Marcy_11

Metapod is hot
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 17, 2008
I dont think they could possibly make another game on the same story line besides platinum of course

But yeah its a little tedious but theres still plenty of things to do

fade101

I rawr youu!!
Years
Being alone sucks...
Yes, it is... be my bud?? Lol!

Hmm... your post actually made me think... it is! getting too tedious... i mean the storyline and the whole concept...
Nintendo should really do sumthin... the comin 5th generation game should be somewhat diffrent... yes to new pokemon, region, attacks and also to the story and pretty much the concept... for once let us choose our destiny... (lol, where did that came from) we can choose to be a trainer or even a breeder... uhhh... thats it for now...

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 2, 2019
for me pokemon is my favourite 'pass your time without any brain activity but still the feeling you're doing something worth your time'

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 6, 2024
They really should think about redesigning the game
Maybe A new battle system. Not turn-based like it is now

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I must admit it is getting a bit to repetitive.
But if they changed it to much then it wouldn't seem like pokemon I guess :\
They should bring back Team Rocket (As I thought it was the only decent team.) and have a region with like 10 gyms or something. And there should be a tournament at the end or something.
But yeah, I agree they should do something different but not to different so it doesn't seem like our good ol' Pogeyman ;) anymore.
So yeah, it is getting a bit tedious.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
I too will admit it is rather repetetive but, usualy pokemon comes up with something else.

PikachuEX

A Rare Pikachu Lover
Years
You know what a fresh concept would be? A Pokémon MMORPG. It would have anime-style battles,a Pokémon League tournament, and a Grand Festival.

Anti

return of the king
Years
I don't think its repetition is such a bad thing since the formula is a good one. If you get tired of the formula, then there are other RPGs, but new generations of players will play new generations of games Nintendo makes, so it won't end anytime soon and IMO it shouldn't.

The repetition is sometimes annoying, but each game has some unique factors about it (significant ones) that make it different.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
Years
I don't really care too much about the repitition but then again I wouldn;t mind seeing something different in the 5th gen.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
You EV train.
I've not the faintest idea about what that is.

Every game sequel is a remake of its predecessor...
A lot of people play Halo 3, and that's effectively Halo 1 with better graphics, different maps, enemies and weapons.
In exactly the same manner, Diamond and Pearl is just Red and Blue with better graphics, different maps, Pokemon and moves.

There is a point where a franchise's number of sequels begins to outstretch its worth; but on the whole, people just like repetition, I guess... To answer your question, I think Pokemon became tedious at the point of Fire Red and Leaf Green.

Pokemon could try something a bit different at least, though, like how Call of duty 4 is set today as opposed to World War II like it's prequels.

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2012
You know what a fresh concept would be? A Pokémon MMORPG. It would have anime-style battles,a Pokémon League tournament, and a Grand Festival.

that is both a stupid and incredibly good concept.

however it wouldnt really work, i do think a type of game where you could choose to live life how you want to. would work nicely.

the main games should stay the same though, its a good concept

Cid

Years
Well, it's a bit tedious, but not too much...

Maybe it's for the generations after us, that's why they improve little and stick with the originals...
Anyway, sticking with spin-off games isn't really a bad idea, anyway...

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
Years
Pokemon has always been about rehashing the same tired formula for a quick buck- no matter how terrible the game is, it'll sell like crazy because IT'S POKEMON. Something like:

would never happen. It would take far too much effort and creativity. Not to mention that Nintendo would never allow any sort of online contact outside of Friend Codes- they want to be family friendly.

Years
  • Seen Jan 31, 2009
It really depends. With anime it does get sort of predictable but this eason it's changing a bit with more unexpected stuff happening. With the games they try and make the storyplot better but in the end, it is the same thing over and over again and it does get tedious.

However there are a few more new things which aren't as dull. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon has a decent story plot and it isn't the catch pokemon in a poke ball all the time thing. I know Pokemon don't want to change or add in too many new concepts but I really would like to see a 3D role playing game besides Coloseum and XD. They were okay but maybe you should have the character be more involved in the game while also being about pokemon.

Back