Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

View Poll Results:

Which do you prefer: Personal Preference Pokemon Or Power Packed Pros' Picks?

Personal Preference.

14 77.78%

Power Packed Pros' Choice

1 5.56%

Anything else...Mix/None?

3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 15th, 2008 (3:51 AM).
Horyo's Avatar
Horyo Horyo is offline
     
    Join Date: Jun 2008
    Gender:
    Posts: 143

    Which do you prefer to battle/use? Pokemon you like for whatever reason, or pokemon
    other people say are better/best?

    I personally go for what I like, even if it does have weaknesses that many people tend to exploit. I think that if I train right, and develop good strategies, I can make any pokemon into a Winner. I understand though, that there are vast differences in base stats, but if I EV train enough, it shouldn't be too bad right?

    Many people feel that they need to tell me how to make a team or that I should throw away "this" pokemon because it's junk. D: that makes me feel bad, because I like that pokemon and usually have some sort of bond with it.

    Yes, a young adult who has feelings for animated pixels xP.

    __________________

    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old June 15th, 2008 (4:25 AM).
    El Gofre's Avatar
    El Gofre El Gofre is offline
    I'm Back.
       
      Join Date: Aug 2007
      Age: 85
      Nature: Quirky
      Posts: 3,459

      I choose my team on a mix of both. I will only use pokes i like, but i will not pick crap ones because there would no point of playing if i was going to lose.

      __________________

      Hi again.

      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old June 15th, 2008 (5:03 AM).
      MissMegano's Avatar
      MissMegano MissMegano is offline
      not-so innocent saint
         
        Join Date: Sep 2007
        Location: Southeastern Wisconsin
        Age: 22
        Gender:
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 313

        I find out which types I want on my team, then pick pokemon I'm fond of matching those types. The only reason I'll choose.... Ninetales over Charizard is because it's better looking. :3

        __________________


        I'll be gone July 19-25 at camp.

        Reply With Quote
          #4    
        Old June 15th, 2008 (6:19 AM).
        Horyo's Avatar
        Horyo Horyo is offline
           
          Join Date: Jun 2008
          Gender:
          Posts: 143

          Maybe I should have picked mixed....Because I wouldn't just send out a caterpie xD

          I like things like Seviper and Ariados, but people always go "EW TERRIBLE CHOICES YOU NOOB!" ANd while I acknowledge their wide range of weaknesses, I try to form strategies to compensate.

          __________________

          Reply With Quote
            #5    
          Old June 15th, 2008 (8:40 AM).
          Glaceon_'s Avatar
          Glaceon_ Glaceon_ is offline

          Here today, gone tomorrow...?

          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: May 2008
          Location: A Wonderland of Ice
          Age: 29
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Calm
          Posts: 736

          I wouldn't call mine a mixed selection, because its pretty random at what I choose to use in a team. All of the ones I use currently, I pretty much use because I like them, which is why I've not started training a Garchomp, yet. XD

          However, I think it will turn mixed, because I'm looking at expanding on my team selection, and to do that, I'll need to start picking Pokemon that I likely don't entirely like. But at current, I'm still in the area of "use what I like". I think it'll be a while, before I start going towards efficiency, and mixing my teams with different types of Pokemon, such as Physical attackers, and walls, and stuff like that. (a lot of my Pokemon are more attackers, than shields)

          __________________


          Set by the wonderful Twinx

          Reply With Quote
            #6    
          Old June 15th, 2008 (8:54 AM).
          Gacs's Avatar
          Gacs Gacs is offline
          Custom User Title
             
            Join Date: Jun 2008
            Gender:
            Nature: Relaxed
            Posts: 24

            Well, I mainly use both. I try building up a well-balanced team from early to mid-game just because of the lack of my favorite Pokemon. Once I unlocked the GTS, I started transferring.

            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #7    
            Old June 15th, 2008 (11:16 AM).
            Wichu's Avatar
            Wichu Wichu is offline
            Project Amethyst
               
              Join Date: Sep 2007
              Location: North Herts, England
              Age: 24
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Naive
              Posts: 2,051

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Glaceon_ View Post
              I wouldn't call mine a mixed selection, because its pretty random at what I choose to use in a team. All of the ones I use currently, I pretty much use because I like them, which is why I've not started training a Garchomp, yet. XD

              However, I think it will turn mixed, because I'm looking at expanding on my team selection, and to do that, I'll need to start picking Pokemon that I likely don't entirely like. But at current, I'm still in the area of "use what I like". I think it'll be a while, before I start going towards efficiency, and mixing my teams with different types of Pokemon, such as Physical attackers, and walls, and stuff like that. (a lot of my Pokemon are more attackers, than shields)

              Pretty much the same as me, then. I want to get a Garchomp, but I just can't be bothered -_-

              But I did recently train a Sceptile, only to find out that it doesn't actually outrun my friend's Deoxys (which I thought it would). And I have two different Lickilickys and Cradilys trained, for some reason. Probably because I think they're pretty awesome, though they're not that good in battle.

              __________________

              Reply With Quote
                #8    
              Old June 15th, 2008 (11:25 AM).
              Kratos_Aurion88 Kratos_Aurion88 is offline
              Waiting for the GSC Remake
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2008
                Location: Behind you with a Knife
                Gender:
                Nature: Lax
                Posts: 103

                My team is stocked full of my favorites. It just so happens that my favorites are also battle efficient.

                __________________

                Player Name: Raine
                FC:4940-5350-4009
                Wins: 4 Losses 6
                I'm working on a better team now. Just a matter of time guys.

                Reply With Quote
                  #9    
                Old June 15th, 2008 (11:37 AM).
                airconditioning's Avatar
                airconditioning airconditioning is offline
                Take it slow, bro.
                   
                  Join Date: Sep 2007
                  Location: Interbus.
                  Age: 25
                  Gender:
                  Nature: Lax
                  Posts: 2,937

                  My personal preferences are strong Pokemon. Pokemon that serve me well in battle become my favorites. :D

                  __________________


                  I is an artist.

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Aquillae View Post
                  Competitive pokemon is serious business.

                  Reply With Quote
                    #10    
                  Old June 15th, 2008 (3:37 PM).
                  Katnip's Avatar
                  Katnip Katnip is offline
                  Harajuku Lover
                     
                    Join Date: Jun 2008
                    Location: Under a rock
                    Age: 22
                    Gender:
                    Nature: Docile
                    Posts: 127

                    I always pick my favorites, like Sceptile, Lucario, Persian, Froslass, etc.

                    __________________

                    Reply With Quote
                      #11    
                    Old June 15th, 2008 (4:57 PM).
                    sirboulevard's Avatar
                    sirboulevard sirboulevard is offline
                    Apricorn Maniac
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2008
                      Location: Hoenn
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Rash
                      Posts: 1,494

                      Go with the favorites. If you use only "Powerhouses" it's not personal. A friend of mine only uses Lv. 100 Legendaries because he desperately needs to win. Everytime I battle him it feels impersonal. I feel that battling with my favorites gives my opponents a chance to battle ME as well as my Pokes. I dont even use an HM Slave while traversing the map, I just find a way to take my HM moves and turn them into sound battle strategies. If you use your favorites, I've come to realize, you tend to get better at strategy and training as opposed to a powerhouse team.

                      __________________


                      Paired with ValentineUmbreon; Fluffy Little Sister-in-law: Chamo-chan;
                      Smart Little Sister-in-law: SilverDragonLaura; Twisted Little Sister: Baa.Baa.Blacksheep

                      Reply With Quote
                        #12    
                      Old June 15th, 2008 (5:25 PM).
                      Horyo's Avatar
                      Horyo Horyo is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Jun 2008
                        Gender:
                        Posts: 143

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by sirboulevard View Post
                        Go with the favorites. If you use only "Powerhouses" it's not personal. A friend of mine only uses Lv. 100 Legendaries because he desperately needs to win. Everytime I battle him it feels impersonal. I feel that battling with my favorites gives my opponents a chance to battle ME as well as my Pokes. I dont even use an HM Slave while traversing the map, I just find a way to take my HM moves and turn them into sound battle strategies. If you use your favorites, I've come to realize, you tend to get better at strategy and training as opposed to a powerhouse team.

                        That's exactly how I feel about my pokemon. It feels like they're another part of me in the battle, and they represent all my work.

                        __________________

                        Reply With Quote
                          #13    
                        Old June 15th, 2008 (6:31 PM).
                        BeachBoy's Avatar
                        BeachBoy BeachBoy is offline
                        S P A R K of madness
                        • Crystal Tier
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2008
                        Location: Texas
                        Age: 26
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Bold
                        Posts: 8,453

                        Quote:
                        I like things like Seviper and Ariados, but people always go "EW TERRIBLE CHOICES YOU NOOB!" ANd while I acknowledge their wide range of weaknesses, I try to form strategies to compensate.

                        Just because we use a more competitive and strategic form of battling does not degrade us to snobs. ;/

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by sirboulevard View Post
                        Go with the favorites. If you use only "Powerhouses" it's not personal. A friend of mine only uses Lv. 100 Legendaries because he desperately needs to win. Everytime I battle him it feels impersonal. I feel that battling with my favorites gives my opponents a chance to battle ME as well as my Pokes. I dont even use an HM Slave while traversing the map, I just find a way to take my HM moves and turn them into sound battle strategies. If you use your favorites, I've come to realize, you tend to get better at strategy and training as opposed to a powerhouse team.

                        I disagree in this case. Things can always be personal in a battle, no matter the type of team. It's the people, that spend hours upon hours making these competitive Pocket Monsters that actually bond more. Whether you shred with overused Pocket Monsters or play around with your favorites, you can always have fun or be 'personal'. The strategies you can impose competitively & friendly are endless, but by far, in a competitive environment, you have to satisfy a... mmm how do I put this. Favorites wise, you can have a lot of strategies that work due to all the versatility. However, competitively, your strategies you come up with that work, are much much more efficient seeing as you're in a tougher environment.

                        I for one, don't use overused Pocket Monsters simply to win, I use a team so I can have fun! I once told a good friend of mine, I'm not going to battle if I'm not having a blast. I also select Pocket Monsters based on my play style. Which is all-out offense. Selecting one of my favorites, Rotom, would not satisfy my play style. I need to at least satisfy my hunger of my mindset for sheer overwhelming destruction and offensive play style. It's not something that can shred a competitive player in half. So, I'd rather select my Gyarados, who is also a favorite of mine.

                        So what's my preference...
                        Pocket Monsters that both satisfy my hunger for offense, that I also like. :D

                        So, yeah, some people can call me a "OU drone." That's fine, at least I'm having a lot more fun then you guys ever will. ^^

                        __________________

                        credit to easterly

                        Reply With Quote
                          #14    
                        Old June 15th, 2008 (7:19 PM).
                        Magmortified's Avatar
                        Magmortified Magmortified is offline
                        Wherever I fly
                           
                          Join Date: Oct 2007
                          Gender:
                          Nature: Quirky
                          Posts: 169

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Horyo View Post
                          I like things like Seviper and Ariados, but people always go "EW TERRIBLE CHOICES YOU NOOB!" ANd while I acknowledge their wide range of weaknesses, I try to form strategies to compensate.

                          And what if the other side forms strategies just as well? I mean, yeah, sure, even some of the lesser-used Pokemon have usable niches, but there's an extent to how well you can pull things like that off. Many of the OU Pokemon are simply better in certain roles, and will be EV-trained with just as much care. You can play well, but in a matchup of similar skill, it's not entirely likely you're going to win. I guess there's a surprise value in people playing against Pokemon they really haven't fought before, but that's really as much as you've got.

                          Playing competitively usually needs to go in there with a mindset for winning. I've seen various teams built on exemplifying various underrated Pokemon (such as Ursaring), but these kind of teams rarely go high up in the rankings. Ultimately, if you want your name up in lights up there, you're going to want to use the best you've got. It doesn't mean you're forced into the same strategies everybody else is using, since there are still many viable options for making a team (even using an underused Pokemon or two, even if going into OU with a team full of them isn't really advisable).

                          Also, I rarely think raters are that condescending, and if they are they usually don't rank in among the top raters. I generally think people won't have a problem with it unless you'll really have a better chance of winning with another option - the point of rating teams anyhow.

                          That's just my rant on the subject.

                          Frankly, most of my favorites (with the general exception of Magmortar, which I mainly care for only because of it's awesome design) are OU most of the time anyhow, so I get the best of both worlds. =D

                          __________________

                          It seems this place was left behind,
                          while time moves forward endlessly.
                          Perhaps it's only in my mind?
                          I haven't yet begun to see...

                          Reply With Quote
                            #15    
                          Old June 15th, 2008 (7:44 PM).
                          airconditioning's Avatar
                          airconditioning airconditioning is offline
                          Take it slow, bro.
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2007
                            Location: Interbus.
                            Age: 25
                            Gender:
                            Nature: Lax
                            Posts: 2,937

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by sirboulevard View Post
                            If you use only "Powerhouses" it's not personal.

                            I have to disagree with this. My Pokemon are strong as all hell, but they were bred and raised with love. After all, it's the bond between Trainer and Pokemon that determine victory. ;_;

                            __________________


                            I is an artist.

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Aquillae View Post
                            Competitive pokemon is serious business.

                            Reply With Quote
                              #16    
                            Old June 15th, 2008 (8:00 PM).
                            sirboulevard's Avatar
                            sirboulevard sirboulevard is offline
                            Apricorn Maniac
                               
                              Join Date: Mar 2008
                              Location: Hoenn
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Rash
                              Posts: 1,494

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by airconditioning View Post
                              I have to disagree with this. My Pokemon are strong as all hell, but they were bred and raised with love. After all, it's the bond between Trainer and Pokemon that determine victory. ;_;

                              That's different though. When I meant Powerhouses I meant people who use Legendaries solely. I don't consider all pokemon that are powerful to be powerhouses. I've previously used a Dragonite, Charizard and Metagross team for the Battle Tower. Those 3 are powerful, but not Powerhouses. You've raised your species from eggs up. That's not using a powerhouse, that's being a good trainer. Your right it is the bond between trainer and their teammates that determine victory. What I was saying is that the reliance on a species that has overpowering stats normally (and sometimes then EV trained) is not personal.

                              __________________


                              Paired with ValentineUmbreon; Fluffy Little Sister-in-law: Chamo-chan;
                              Smart Little Sister-in-law: SilverDragonLaura; Twisted Little Sister: Baa.Baa.Blacksheep

                              Reply With Quote
                                #17    
                              Old June 15th, 2008 (8:27 PM).
                              Anti's Avatar
                              Anti Anti is offline
                              return of the king
                              • Gold Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2007
                              Location: Kobe's Reality
                              Gender: Other
                              Nature: Adamant
                              Posts: 10,813

                              I'm sorry, but just because Hippowdon is the best physical wall in the game (IMO) doesn't mean I didn't love the game Hungry Hungry Hippos when I was younger >:0

                              Seriously though, I use the most powerful pokemon. However, I try to stay away from stuff I hate, but I like most pokemon so I rarely face that obstacle.

                              I agree that pokemon can get dull if you use the same powerful stuff over and over, but that's what joke teams and favorites teams are for. Actually, one of my favorites teams went 16-2 on shoddy, and if you knew half the pokemon on that team, you'd know that's a good record

                              Also, a lot of my favorites happen to be good OU competitors. I love all the legendary trios besides the elf one, and most of those pokemon (LOL ENTEI) are perfectly usable. I also love me some Snorlax. SNORLAX.

                              __________________

                              Why are the beautiful sick and divided like myself?

                              Reply With Quote
                                #18    
                              Old June 15th, 2008 (8:28 PM).
                              airconditioning's Avatar
                              airconditioning airconditioning is offline
                              Take it slow, bro.
                                 
                                Join Date: Sep 2007
                                Location: Interbus.
                                Age: 25
                                Gender:
                                Nature: Lax
                                Posts: 2,937

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by sirboulevard View Post
                                When I meant Powerhouses I meant people who use Legendaries solely.

                                Uhh... nobody uses Legendaries solely. The amount of Legendaries allowed into OU is small, and it would be difficult to make a balanced team from that small pool. Unless you're referring to Ubers. Of course, those are illegal, so anyone who uses Ubers in standard battles is cheating. :/

                                __________________


                                I is an artist.

                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Aquillae View Post
                                Competitive pokemon is serious business.

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #19    
                                Old June 15th, 2008 (8:51 PM).
                                kohei's Avatar
                                kohei kohei is offline
                                Pizzaman.
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2004
                                  Location: Matsubara, Japan
                                  Nature: Mild
                                  Posts: 3,483

                                  Being a competitive player, sometimes I'm forced to use just UU Pokemon to stand a chance against my buddies (who spend twice as much time playing Pokemans, so it's hard for me to keep up), especially when we are doing 3v3 LV100.

                                  I also lived in Hong Kong until 3 months ago, and the Pokemon they use here are different, so I'm still learning what builds are popular and such.
                                  Plus, Double Battles seem to be all the rage now. I gotto go get DB Pokemon, seriously.

                                  However when doing a 6v6 LV50, things are much more relaxed, so I can go in with my cute Swalot or simply use my beloved mono-Poison team.

                                  __________________

                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #20    
                                  Old June 15th, 2008 (10:30 PM). Edited June 16th, 2008 by Horyo.
                                  Horyo's Avatar
                                  Horyo Horyo is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Jun 2008
                                    Gender:
                                    Posts: 143

                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by BeachBoy View Post
                                    Just because we use a more competitive and strategic form of battling does not degrade us to snobs. ;/

                                    Well, I mean that more in the way when they actually insult you. I'm sure you can say your strategy/pokemon beat mine, but some people are just plain rude about it.

                                    I don't mind suggestions though.

                                    __________________

                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #21    
                                    Old June 16th, 2008 (3:29 AM).
                                    Tenbinza's Avatar
                                    Tenbinza Tenbinza is offline
                                    Master of the Mighty Harisen!
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jun 2008
                                      Location: Over the Hills and Far Away, Scotland
                                      Age: 27
                                      Gender:
                                      Nature: Modest
                                      Posts: 71

                                      I tend to have a strong bond with the Pokemon I catch at the start and sometimes they even go far as to battling the Elite 4 + Champ. I can never bond with a legendary since you tend to catch them in the middle or later on in your quest and don't have the same experience as a pokemon you catch at a lower level or even hatch from an egg. But that's my personal preference.

                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #22    
                                      Old June 16th, 2008 (6:23 AM).
                                      Bekki's Avatar
                                      Bekki Bekki is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Feb 2006
                                        Location: In a boat on the sea with my Pokemon.
                                        Age: 33
                                        Gender:
                                        Nature: Lonely
                                        Posts: 494

                                        I go for the ones that will have a good change against the gym leaders and the elite 4. This means I go for Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Flying and whatever I want as the last one.

                                        __________________

                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #23    
                                        Old June 16th, 2008 (10:00 PM).
                                        Horyo's Avatar
                                        Horyo Horyo is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jun 2008
                                          Gender:
                                          Posts: 143

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Tenbinza View Post
                                          I tend to have a strong bond with the Pokemon I catch at the start and sometimes they even go far as to battling the Elite 4 + Champ. I can never bond with a legendary since you tend to catch them in the middle or later on in your quest and don't have the same experience as a pokemon you catch at a lower level or even hatch from an egg. But that's my personal preference.

                                          Yea that's why I hate using legendaries in certain battles. I mean, I love Rayquaza and all but it can't take the place of Swampert in my heart.

                                          __________________

                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #24    
                                          Old June 16th, 2008 (10:06 PM). Edited June 16th, 2008 by BeachBoy.
                                          BeachBoy's Avatar
                                          BeachBoy BeachBoy is offline
                                          S P A R K of madness
                                          • Crystal Tier
                                           
                                          Join Date: Jan 2008
                                          Location: Texas
                                          Age: 26
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Bold
                                          Posts: 8,453

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Horyo View Post
                                          Well, I mean that more in the way when they actually insult you. I'm sure you can say your strategy/pokemon beat mine, but some people are just plain rude about it.

                                          I don't mind suggestions though.

                                          No no, I understand what you're trying to say. It's just we don't take rude kind of suggestions lightly with PC rules. ;D No worries.

                                          And I agree with Anti, it gets boring to use the same thing over and over again, but that's why I explore eslewhere like UU and Little Cup (Yay \o/) And such, it keeps battling fresh and alive for me, absorbing more. So, adding on, I am more of a mixed bag.

                                          __________________

                                          credit to easterly

                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #25    
                                          Old June 17th, 2008 (12:50 AM).
                                          1stGenNut's Avatar
                                          1stGenNut 1stGenNut is offline
                                          1st Gen Fanatic
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jan 2006
                                            Location: England
                                            Age: 30
                                            Gender:
                                            Nature: Relaxed
                                            Posts: 124

                                            I pretty much stick with the same team I've got throughout the game, though I do make several swaps.
                                            In Sapphire, I caught a Wurmple, it evolved into Cascoon, then Dustox. I used Dustox for a good long while, treat it well until I put it in the PC box. Same thing will eventually happen with Linoone. Raised it since it was tiny, and it's going to be replaced with Absol. If I'm using a temporary Pokemon, I always treat them well. I can't just catch a lot of Pokemon right at the beginning and use them all the way throughout, there's some that I catch which I do like (so a bit of personal preference there), but I always choose ones too that would look good in battle, attack wise (not exactly the best, but ones that have good stats). I also get Pokemon with a number of different types - like with Diamond I have Empoleon (Water/Steel), and Gengar (Ghost/Poison). That way, they can learn various move types, and be better equipped for battling.

                                            __________________


                                            Pet my wickle egg plz

                                            Reply With Quote
                                            Reply
                                            Quick Reply

                                            Sponsored Links
                                            Thread Tools

                                            Posting Rules
                                            You may not post new threads
                                            You may not post replies
                                            You may not post attachments
                                            You may not edit your posts

                                            BB code is On
                                            Smilies are On
                                            [IMG] code is On
                                            HTML code is Off

                                            Forum Jump


                                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:18 PM.