• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rom Hacking Newsletter Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
The Rom Hacking Newsletter Team

Introduction

RHN has been having some trouble recently with regular quality articles so I decided that it was time to make an official Team Thread for it. I cannot emphasize enough the need for people who are going to be reliable. I would also like people who are somewhat experienced. Even if I have said that you are already on the team please re-apply.

Current Staff

• Kawaii, Inc.
    Reporter
  • Ripper
    Reporter/Hack Reviews
  • Ninja Caterpie
    Hack Reviews/Map Reviews
  • Visual
    Reporter
  • Disturbed
    Interviewer
  • Marxville
    Non-Pokemon Hack Reviewer
  • demonparia
    Reporter/Hack Reviewer
  • Darthatron
    Interviewer/CSS Design
  • Vrai
    Reporter

Rules/Guidelines

• Any article you wish to be in the newsletter must be submitted by Sunday
  • Articles should be sent via PM to both Kawaii Inc. and dshayabusa
  • The editors have the final say on which articles are submitted
  • 4 weeks without contributing an article without a good reason will get you kicked off the team
  • Any ideas or suggestions should be posted here so the entire team can discuss it
  • If you are not in the team but wish to submit an article post it here, it will most likely be edited here and there but you will get full credit
  • Only hacks with a playable demo or a considerable amount of work done are eligible for reviewing
  • If you are on the team and you wish to give a rating to a hack not reviewed by yourself then post it here
  • Only maps that are posted in the Map Rating Thread from Saturday of one week to Saturday of the next week will be eligible for that week
  • If you get an award or rating we encourage you to place it in your thread
  • If you feel a rating/award/review you have received for your work was unfair/biased please post your reasons here
  • Awards given are non-negotiable

Looking For

• Hack Reviewers
  • Reporters

Application Form

You can apply for any job except Editor and Interviewer. For the Proof of Work, simply write an article about anything to do with Rom Hacking. It can be about absolutely anything, from Hack Reviews to a report about a thread. I will have the final decision on who is accepted and who is not.
HTML:
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]E-Mail[/b]:
[b]MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ[/b]:
[b]Time Zone[/b]:
[b]Job[/b]:
[b]Proof of Work[/b]:
[b]Hacking Experience[/b]:

Last edited:

Cronos

Im Back ;)
Years
Name:Dark Wolf X
E-Mail:[email protected]
MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ:None
Time Zone:I Cant Say Right Now,I Might Move
Job:Reporter,Hack Reviewer
Proof Of Work:
Title:Rom's To Start With In GBA Hacking
This Is About The Many Rom's Used In Rom Hacking.People Often Use The Ruby,Fire Red And Emerald Rom's.Though Sapphire And Leaf Green Are No Different From The Above They Were Not Used Many Times And If Were Used There Were Swithched To The Above.The Advantage In Fire Red And Leaf Green From The Other's Is Mainly For It's Good Graphics In The Advanced Generation And That They Are The Latest Release Of Pokemon From Nintendo In GBA.Ruby,Sapphire And Emerald Have Most Thing's In Common But The Emerald Rom Has Some Good Text Format's And The Scripting Of It Is Also Different From Those Of Ruby And Sapphire.I Still Recommend To Use Rom's Like Leaf Green And Sapphire Since They Are Nothing Less Than The Other Rom's.
Hack Review:Pokemon Lance Adventures
BetaParallel1U_23.png

PokemonEmeraldU_12.png

Hack Of Pokemon Ruby
Review:
This Is A Hack By Magneto20 Which Is A Sequel To Septo Conquest.This Hack Features Lance As The Main Character Which Is The First Time In Hacking But Does Not Has A Female Character Till Now And Another New Feature Is That You Can Choose Parallel Which Makes You Chose The Story Line You Want.Just Like Septo Conquest This Also Has Some Disturbing Words And Also People Die.
Also It Doesnt Have Any New Tiles And A Pre-Beta For Beta Tester's Has Been Released In Public.
The Map's Arent Much To Say About And They Are Just Too Plain To Talk About.
I Cant Figure Out If Thier Using A Rom Base Or Not,There Are No Tiles.I Havent Actually Played The Pre-Beta So Ill Give A More Detailed Review When It Is Out
Ill Give It A 1.5/5
Hacking Experience:Yes,Pokemon Carnation-Legend Of Heroes

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Name: Wind~
E-Mail: [email protected](not working at the moment)
MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: MSN: [email protected]
Time Zone: Mountain time
Job: Hack Reviewer
Proof of Work: I sent you that PM a while ago.
Hacking Experience: Pokemon Blizzard™ is a lot more successful than Soar or Wave. :mudkip;):

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
Years
Name: Kawaii, Inc.
E-Mail: [email protected]
AIM:
Timezone: Eastern Time
Job: Reporter
Proof of Work:
It's taken a while to kick the stuff, but it looks like hacks based on another game or T.V. show have become a thing of the past! Personally, I prefer playing Pokemon hacks based on the Pokemon series, but I do enjoy seeing an Easter egg every now-and-again. It was less than a year ago when hacks based on Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, etc. could be seen on every page of the forum, but this is not the case now. The hacking season has been moving slowly recently and this could be the cause for the lack of such hacks. Another, more indirect conspiraratory explanation, could be the recent pattern of updates on popular games such as Shiny Gold, Prism, etc. We all know that games such as these draw a good amount of traffic to the Hacking Forums. The slow updates could could be the cause, or lack-thereof, of such "noobish" hacks. Now, this is not to state that any game based on another franchise is "noobish" but a good deal of them are. I find myself skipping over such hacks, but this is just the opinion of a single hacker/player. So tell me, what does the rest of the community think?
Hacking Experience: Pokemon: Tree of Peace

P.S. I'm not quite sure if this is impeding on the job of editor, but I like to proofread, and am good with grammar, so I could look over articles before they're posted to make sure the grammar is good, the spelling is correct, and the sentences flow (even though I may have just posted a run-on...)?

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Spoiler:
Um, why is every word in capitals? Unless you want to post another article I'm afraid I can't accept you. It isn't written well.

Spoiler:
If you are feeling up to it could you post another article here?

Spoiler:
Hmm, not sure why I didn't hire you when you first asked to join, but you're definitely accepted now. The grammer checking idea is good, we'll try it out in the next release.

Just as a note, the next release will be in two weeks time.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
Name: Ripper
MSN: [email protected]
Timezone: +12hrs Auckland, Wellington, Samoa etc.
Job: Anything really
Proof of Work:
The Rom Hacking Newsletter is a weekly (usually) update for all things hacking. Edited and created by 'dshayabusa', the newsletter contains a wealth of knowledge for all your hacking needs. With reviews of current hacks, an update on any new tools created for the purpose of hacking, and also interviews with your favourite Pokecommunity celebrities, the Rom Hacking Newsletter is a must for all avid hackers.
Hacking Experience: Check out my postponed hack Pokemon DNA in the hacks showcase thread.

Years
I'm feeling fairly bored.
Name: thethethethe
MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Only MSN, see above
Time Zone: GMT+10, I hope. East Coast of Australia. If I'm facing North, East is my right isn't it?
Job: Reviewing, I guess. I've got a few scripting tips 'up my sleeve', but I'm sure you've got quite a few too.
Proof of Work:This was part of something I wrote about destinedjagold's hack for something that seems to be gone now.
"The storyline and scripting are the best aspects of this creation. The scripting yet, simply done, is very effective in what it tries to achieve. The music and sounds are used amazingly throughout this game. They aren't played, only for the sake of being there. They are used to evoke feelings that Time tries to achieve, and recreating the move camera script without actually moving the camera was feat in itself. The scripting was well worked to compliment its of the original storyline.
But like I mentioned earlier this review isn't glowingly favourable of this hack, it does have it's problems."
Hacking Experience: Umm... LoD? And really a lot of experimenting.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Name: Ripper
MSN: [email protected]
Timezone: +12hrs Auckland, Wellington, Samoa etc.
Job: Anything really
Proof of Work:
The Rom Hacking Newsletter is a weekly (usually) update for all things hacking. Edited and created by 'dshayabusa', the newsletter contains a wealth of knowledge for all your hacking needs. With reviews of current hacks, an update on any new tools created for the purpose of hacking, and also interviews with your favourite Pokecommunity celebrities, the Rom Hacking Newsletter is a must for all avid hackers.
Hacking Experience: Check out my postponed hack Pokemon DNA in the hacks showcase thread.
A little short but you obviously write well, you're definitely accepted!
EDIT: Oh, you're DNA, I knew you seemed familiar.

I'm feeling fairly bored.
Name: thethethethe
MSN/AIM/YIM/ICQ: Only MSN, see above
Time Zone: GMT+10, I hope. East Coast of Australia. If I'm facing North, East is my right isn't it?
Job: Reviewing, I guess. I've got a few scripting tips 'up my sleeve', but I'm sure you've got quite a few too.
Proof of Work:This was part of something I wrote about destinedjagold's hack for something that seems to be gone now.
"The storyline and scripting are the best aspects of this creation. The scripting yet, simply done, is very effective in what it tries to achieve. The music and sounds are used amazingly throughout this game. They aren't played, only for the sake of being there. They are used to evoke feelings that Time tries to achieve, and recreating the move camera script without actually moving the camera was feat in itself. The scripting was well worked to compliment its of the original storyline.
But like I mentioned earlier this review isn't glowingly favourable of this hack, it does have it's problems."
Hacking Experience: Umm... LoD? And really a lot of experimenting.
You're definitely in too thethethethe! I'm sure people would love to have their hacks reviewed by you.

Seems like we've got quite a pretty good team but if you think you've got what it takes by all means apply! The more people the better! One thing I forgot to say is that we need graphic artist so RHN looks better and so we can change the style around a bit. I'll edit the first post.

Last edited:

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
To be honest, I have no qualms with the current newsletter. It's got plenty of info and it still looks neat and tidy. Personally, the only thing I'd imagine it needs is maybe a bit more info. Maybe a preview of next week, an update of the HotW or something similar, maybe some sort of personal "You Should Play..." although it would probably end up just like a review. We could always do previews which would be of games without Betas, before reviewing each Beta upon release.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
To be honest, I have no qualms with the current newsletter. It's got plenty of info and it still looks neat and tidy. Personally, the only thing I'd imagine it needs is maybe a bit more info. Maybe a preview of next week, an update of the HotW or something similar, maybe some sort of personal "You Should Play..." although it would probably end up just like a review. We could always do previews which would be of games without Betas, before reviewing each Beta upon release.
Well we are definitely going to have HOTW reviews. A preview of next week might be possible for some segments such as the Tips and Tricks. The previews idea is really good.

I was thinking of having a Map of the Week (from the Map Rating Thread) as well. We could have a link to the map, talk about why it won that week (what they did right etc.) and maybe even offer an award?

The other thing I also wanted to talk about are the Hack Awards. How do you think it should be done? Nominations within the team and then voting? We probably won't have enough people for that to work. We also don't want to do so many reviews that we run out of hacks to review so maybe we should only have a review for a hack that wins an award from us, HOTW and one other hack that has had a recent beta release or major update.

Cronos

Im Back ;)
Years
Sorry about my previous article,im used to typing in capital's.
Hack review:
Hack name:Pokemon Colosseum Advance
Hack author:dark shade
Hack of:Pokemon Fire Red
My Rate:2/5
Screen Shots:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Review:
As you see from the name itself it's the GBA remake of Pokemon Colosseum from Game Cube,but the story is edited.It is based on "shadow" pokemon that are pokemon which are not evil but have no feelings and emotions.A feature about this hack is that if trainer's have a "shadow" pokemon you can catch them with a "Snag" ball.The mapping is very poor and the tiles are not much as well to start with and i cant tell about the scripting because no video has been shown.A disadvantage of the hack is that you get less freedom to move around and the one's you get to move around is for catching pokemon. The "shadow" pokemon spriting seem's is the best part of the hack to me.This is the end of my review hope you like it.

Last edited:

Blitzballer

Years
Hmm, not sure why I didn't hire you when you first asked to join, but you're definitely accepted now. The grammer checking idea is good, we'll try it out in the next release.
Wow! That's a big compliment! Thanks and I'll be very reliable. Also, for the next issue, are we going to use the article I just wrote, or would you like me to make a new one? I can remove the story from my post if we are.

On another note, the Map of the Week idea is great. I was thinking of just the same thing before you posted it. That'll also give reviewers more of a chance to, well...review! =)

Also, I've got some free time. I could make a chart for the standards of reviewing. I mean, like the categories for giving ratings (i.e. Graphics, Scripts, etc. and how to decide the score of x/5).

Years
Also, I've got some free time. I could make a chart for the standards of reviewing. I mean, like the categories for giving ratings (i.e. Graphics, Scripts, etc. and how to decide the score of x/5).

I think setting standards could be a bit difficult couldn't it? Like, I'd probably have a completely different view on a hack as to what you might have, and dshayabusa could have a totally different view on something as to the two of us.
I think on ratings, it should probably something similiar to an average, or possibly just give three ratings from three different people.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I think setting standards could be a bit difficult couldn't it? Like, I'd probably have a completely different view on a hack as to what you might have, and dshayabusa could have a totally different view on something as to the two of us.

Or in simple words, everyone is unique and different. ;)

Anyways...
I have a question...
What will be a graphic artist's job be?
I might join if I can do better with Photoshop. :P

Blitzballer

Years
Also, unless there is some standard for rating a hack (i.e. some sort of system based on certain aspects), I think giving the hacks a x/5 is irrelevant, since different people are reviewing and each person seems to have different standards.
Either you didn't understand, or more likely...I wasn't very clear. =) Haha. That is what I meant. I meant there should be some criteria, like IGN, since I may give someone a 4 for good graphics and an interesting story, whereas someone else might give them a 1 for no scripts and the use of a "ROM Base" perhaps? =) Anyway, I was just talking about the "rating" part, and it just makes the numbered system irrelevant. Although, I think the idea of averaging the judges score is good.

N-XIGE

Ascension: Success Story
Years
Just asking because I wont be back into the hacking 'business' for a little above a week;

What would the Non-Pokemon hack reviewer be reviewing?

Blitzballer

Years
Just asking because I wont be back into the hacking 'business' for a little above a week;

What would the Non-Pokemon hack reviewer be reviewing?
Well, there are a few hacks on the forum for Fire Emblem, Mario, Sonic, etc. I'm pretty sure that job would be to review hacks like those. Anything not based on a Pokemon ROM. Now, I'm not sure if you'd review such hacks on other forums, so you'd have to check with dshayabusa on that one.

N-XIGE

Ascension: Success Story
Years
Okay I get it...(Fire emblem; we meet again.)

I'll try and get an application out soon...soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back