Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 4th, 2009 (3:14 AM).
xsh4d0wx's Avatar
xsh4d0wx xsh4d0wx is offline
lul
     
    Join Date: Dec 2008
    Location: Sydney, Austraila
    Gender:
    Posts: 34

    In the show Ash will catch a pokemon and we will all witness his pokemon like squrtle, cyndaquil and totodile never evolve and i am asking why the writers let others evolve but kept these three in the dark.


    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old January 4th, 2009 (3:23 AM).
    bugcatcherjason bugcatcherjason is offline
       
      Join Date: Nov 2007
      Posts: 47

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by xsh4d0wx View Post
      In the show Ash will catch a pokemon and we will all witness his pokemon like squrtle, cyndaquil and totodile never evolve and i am asking why the writers let others evolve but kept these three in the dark.

      marketing. i guess younger children like to see cute pokemons. children = money in buisnesses such as pokemon in forms of merchandise.
      besides, you get a good lul when you see a cutie like pikachu aiming for the horn.

      __________________


        #3    
      Old January 4th, 2009 (3:31 AM).
      st.jimmy's Avatar
      st.jimmy st.jimmy is offline
      ZOMG!
         
        Join Date: Dec 2007
        Age: 22
        Gender:
        Posts: 603

        they were going for cuteness unfortunately...imagine ash having a feraligatr. the true fans jump for joy as the six year olds cry at the site of him...therefore losing out on the kids and the way things go at the moment 6-year olds are the market for pokemon. :'(

        __________________



        Proud to be paired with The Dark Knight

          #4    
        Old January 4th, 2009 (6:54 AM).
        processr's Avatar
        processr processr is offline
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: May 2005
        Location: Southampton
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 1,608

        Because true strength comes from the heart!

        I can't believe I just said that. Dx

        In a few cases the Pokémon themselves have refused to evolve. Pikachu and Bulbasaur instantly come to mind, and both did so when facing great adversity (the former had just lost to Surge's Raichu and would soon fight again, while the latter was up against many Ivysaur and Venusaur). Squirtle may well remain as a Squirtle in order to stay in the Squirtle Squad and not have to join Team Wartortle.

        As a general rule, however, one can imagine that Ash has formed an emotional bond with his Pokémon as they are, especially Pikachu and his earliest captures. In the days of Sinnoh he has become more willing to evolve his Pokémon (indeed, I believe that Gligar's evolution was the first forced evolution performed by Ash on one of his Pokémon - correct me if I'm wrong), but one can understand if Ash has become attached to the physical appearances of some of his Pokémon.

          #5    
        Old January 4th, 2009 (7:22 AM).
        The Ebon Blade's Avatar
        The Ebon Blade The Ebon Blade is offline
        The Fuzz...
           
          Join Date: Jan 2009
          Location: Wisconsin
          Age: 26
          Gender:
          Nature: Relaxed
          Posts: 647

          cuteness was a part of it. in the instance of pikachu its because wen ppl thnk of the wrd pokemon pikachu comes to mind. other then that its prlly because he was a lot less experienced back then. if u thnk about it by the time he goes into the battle fronteir the pokemon he has are mostly evolved. and evn now in the sinnoh region quite of few of his are evolved.

          __________________

          Pokemon Special Rocks!

          Check out my FanFiction:

          Mission: Find the Source of the Madness!



            #6    
          Old January 4th, 2009 (8:01 PM).
          Spinor's Avatar
          Spinor Spinor is offline
          The Lonely Physicist
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Feb 2006
          Age: 21
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Serious
          Posts: 5,191

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by bugcatcherjason View Post
          marketing. i guess younger children like to see cute pokemons. children = money in buisnesses such as pokemon in forms of merchandise.
          besides, you get a good lul when you see a cutie like pikachu aiming for the horn.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by azuman View Post
          they were going for cuteness unfortunately...imagine ash having a feraligatr. the true fans jump for joy as the six year olds cry at the site of him.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
          Because true strength comes from the heart!

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by The Ebon Blade View Post
          cuteness was a part of it.

          All of you are wrong.

          It's because Chuck Norris is the Pokemon of change, and he decided not to change cute Pokemon for hopefully obvious reasons.

          Or it could be they ate waffles. I don't know, but it was probably Chuck Norris's fault. Pokemon can't get ahold of waffles often these days.

          __________________

          Insert some Pokemon or Detective Conan related image and witty caption here.

          If you talk mean about my Conan+Ai OTP I'll make you see the barrel of my coilgun

            #7    
          Old January 4th, 2009 (8:15 PM).
          SBaby's Avatar
          SBaby SBaby is offline
          Dungeon Master
             
            Join Date: Sep 2004
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 2,006

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
            Because true strength comes from the heart!

            Clearly true strength doesn't win Leagues.

            I'd have to say the reason is probably because of plot convenience and popularity. As uninspired as the writing staff is, they're at least remotely intelligent enough to know that Pikachu evolving into Raichu, or Squirtle evolving into Blastoise would be both hard to explain and unpopular with the kids and ninjas.

            On a side note, I think it's pretty ironic that Ash didn't forget about the Thunder Stone, yet he forgot about the GS Ball.

            __________________

            If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you will never get it done.

            - Bruce Lee

            The worst thing you can do in a business is blame the customer.

            - Willie 'Jack' Degel

              #8    
            Old January 4th, 2009 (9:01 PM).
            RaikaCastillo's Avatar
            RaikaCastillo RaikaCastillo is offline
            Spark Javelin!!!
               
              Join Date: Jul 2008
              Location: Ilex Forest (Southeast TN)
              Nature: Hasty
              Posts: 195

              Here's some of the theories for each

              Cyndaquil: I don't think Ash would be very keen on having another Fire Type evolve that soon after the Charizard incident. Heck, if he couldn't control his Quilava, the thing might very well set is pants on fire repeatedly. While this would've been a wonderful gag, such misfortunes are reserved to happen to Team Rocket, not Ash

              Totodile: Totodile was too busy dancing around and chasing love interests that he didn't have time to be focused on evolution.

              Squirtle: Squirtle was iconic as a Squirtle. It just wouldn't be the same if he were to become Wartortle or Blastoise.

              __________________




              Please click to hatch/feed. My profile

                #9    
              Old January 7th, 2009 (8:34 PM).
              Artemis Artemis is offline
              i'm no goddess
                 
                Join Date: Oct 2008
                Posts: 5,583

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
                Clearly true strength doesn't win Leagues.

                I'd have to say the reason is probably because of plot convenience and popularity. As uninspired as the writing staff is, they're at least remotely intelligent enough to know that Pikachu evolving into Raichu, or Squirtle evolving into Blastoise would be both hard to explain and unpopular with the kids and ninjas.

                On a side note, I think it's pretty ironic that Ash didn't forget about the Thunder Stone, yet he forgot about the GS Ball.

                Actually it also depended on Ash's abilities as a trainer as well, not only if the pokemon evolved or not...but honestly it was because of the cute factor and the younger children why they never evolved...plus Ash being so young and naive would make him loose control...lol...and get too high in confidence...

                __________________

                  #10    
                Old January 9th, 2009 (6:09 PM).
                Zelda's Avatar
                Zelda Zelda is offline

                ⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄

                • Crystal Tier
                 
                Join Date: Oct 2008
                Location: +
                Age: 3
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Adamant
                Posts: 4,876

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Quick_Kid View Post
                Actually it also depended on Ash's abilities as a trainer as well, not only if the pokemon evolved or not...but honestly it was because of the cute factor and the younger children why they never evolved...plus Ash being so young and naive would make him loose control...lol...and get too high in confidence...

                I agree...and it also has to go with the storyline...

                __________________


                wisdom cries. paired to Cay & Exile & Sombra

                  #11    
                Old January 9th, 2009 (7:36 PM).
                kingofjokers's Avatar
                kingofjokers kingofjokers is offline
                This is not a custom title!!!!
                   
                  Join Date: Dec 2008
                  Location: Hillside IL
                  Age: 22
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 674

                  1.cuteness
                  2.otherwise he would be to powerful story will end
                  3.he would get to cocky and just make him and idiot
                  4.who doesn't like pikachu

                  __________________

                    #12    
                  Old January 10th, 2009 (3:17 AM).
                  .:Kanto:.'s Avatar
                  .:Kanto:. .:Kanto:. is offline
                  I'm back, yet again!
                     
                    Join Date: Aug 2008
                    Location: Cerulean City, Kanto
                    Age: 21
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Timid
                    Posts: 501

                    It's obvious why Squirtle did not evolve. It was part of the Squirtle Squad, Even though he left for a while, he still knew he would return. So he did not evolve.

                    Ash's Bulbasaur did not want to evolve. Pokémon are all different. Some will want to evolve, while others wont.

                    __________________

                    Can't be bothered to catch 'em all!!

                      #13    
                    Old January 10th, 2009 (3:19 AM).
                    Empire's Avatar
                    Empire Empire is offline
                    Lurking since 2008
                    • Silver Tier
                     
                    Join Date: May 2008
                    Location: Melbourne, Australia.
                    Age: 21
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Bashful
                    Posts: 120

                    Ash's Pokemon Never evolved because they are 'Iconic' to the show.
                    If Pikachu evolved. It's not right. because it's an icon of Pokemon.

                      #14    
                    Old January 10th, 2009 (4:19 AM).
                    Myzou's Avatar
                    Myzou Myzou is offline
                    Lost and Confused xD
                       
                      Join Date: Nov 2006
                      Location: California
                      Age: 28
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Lonely
                      Posts: 1,321

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
                      (indeed, I believe that Gligar's evolution was the first forced evolution performed by Ash on one of his Pokémon - correct me if I'm wrong)

                      TECHNICALLY, but he didn't force Gligar to evolve, it wanted to, however, it was more of a "If you don't take the claw and evolve, we'll both fall to our deaths" situation :P

                      Back on topic: If you want to appeal to the young audiences, why did Chikorita simply evolve once? Meganium is MUCH more appealing to young girls. And why did Phanpy evolve to Donphan? The cuteness factor flew out the window there.

                      __________________




                        #15    
                      Old January 10th, 2009 (4:26 AM).
                      processr's Avatar
                      processr processr is offline
                      • Crystal Tier
                       
                      Join Date: May 2005
                      Location: Southampton
                      Age: 24
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 1,608

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
                      TECHNICALLY, but he didn't force Gligar to evolve, it wanted to, however, it was more of a "If you don't take the claw and evolve, we'll both fall to our deaths" situation :P

                      I meant that it was Ash's first item evolution, actually. ^_^;

                        #16    
                      Old April 16th, 2011 (4:28 PM).
                      staryu_beast's Avatar
                      staryu_beast staryu_beast is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Oct 2010
                        Location: Goldenrod city
                        Age: 22
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Quiet
                        Posts: 36

                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by RaikaCastillo View Post
                        Here's some of the theories for each

                        Cyndaquil: I don't think Ash would be very keen on having another Fire Type evolve that soon after the Charizard incident. Heck, if he couldn't control his Quilava, the thing might very well set is pants on fire repeatedly. While this would've been a wonderful gag, such misfortunes are reserved to happen to Team Rocket, not Ash

                        Totodile: Totodile was too busy dancing around and chasing love interests that he didn't have time to be focused on evolution.

                        Squirtle: Squirtle was iconic as a Squirtle. It just wouldn't be the same if he were to become Wartortle or Blastoise.

                        are you kidding me?! A Blastoise with black sunglasses?! THAT WOULD BE TIGHT :D

                          #17    
                        Old April 16th, 2011 (8:14 PM).
                        Kirbychu's Avatar
                        Kirbychu Kirbychu is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Jun 2009
                          Location: Oregon
                          Age: 22
                          Nature: Naive
                          Posts: 2,346

                          Please do not bump old threads.

                          Closed

                          __________________

                          Closed Thread
                          Quick Reply

                          Sponsored Links
                          Thread Tools

                          Posting Rules
                          You may not post new threads
                          You may not post replies
                          You may not post attachments
                          You may not edit your posts

                          BB code is On
                          Smilies are On
                          [IMG] code is On
                          HTML code is Off

                          Forum Jump


                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:23 AM.