The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacks Studio Progressing ROM Hacks
Discontinued Pokemon Odyssey

Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

Closed Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010 (11:30 AM). Edited September 12th, 2010 by smellybellysrock.
Legend Of Band Camp: You ready

(Credit to Countryemo for the amazing logo!)

Hack of: Pokemon Firered
    Hack Name: Pokemon Odyssey

Story:
    Your life is worse than any ordinary life. Your dad left you and your mom was caught by adventurers who dared to seek out Ubuntu. You have lived with your older sister, Jess, and your smaller brother, Kaz, up until what is called Year 199*. You thought you were just going on a simple adventure, but it got much worse.

You've been given the chance to head out and beat the 8 clans and Poke5, but all is not well. You will run into incredible danger, face tough challenges, all because they think you're small, weak and defensless, trying to catch you, using up-
    Oh right. That tadbit of important information.

You're a Togepi.

Anyways, I don't find that part too important compared to whats written in the manuscripts about you. Please take a look. Just try to avoid #2 and #2.5 to avoid spoilers of what is about to happen to your life.

Year 199: Please see Odyssey Manuscripts 1-3

Odyssey Manuscripts:

These are here to give you an in depth idea of the history behind Odyssey, the region and the game.

Odyssey Manuscript #1, Chaos
    Spoiler:
    Once humans came along, 5 years ago, all the resources dissapeared. Pokemon could no longer evolve by stone, friendship, or day/night. Quite a few pokemon went crazy, and have been attacking others in the wild. Turmoil churned through the world, and quite frankly, pokemon lost. Humans began training them, befriending them, playing and battling with them, but the olden days of the time when humans didn't exist, were lost. Soon, they will be reborn, but not now. Now, the world is too busy being destroyed by a black hole from the inside. But it will only completely destroy the world in 200 years, unless The Eggling can stop it.

Odyssey Manuscript #2, Hero Falls
    Spoiler:
    As the world of Pokemon nears the end 190 years later, an eggling is born. Year 199; this eggling leaves on an Adventure, and unfolds the Odyssey. The name is Misteria, meaning Mystery or Mysterious, an unsolvable puzzle. The hero will battle to their limits, only to wind up short. After a choice of travelling alone, the world will fall a year later.

Odyssey Manuscript #2.5 Hero Prevails
    Spoiler:
    *Please note this is a recent depiction conflicting with Manuscript #2, and note that since it is recent, it is more accurate. Thank you, Mr. Delibird*

As the world of Pokemon nears the end 191 years later, a Togepi Eggling is born. In year 199, the Eggling leaves on an adventure in Ubuntu, unbeknown to it that there is a manuscript #2, depicting its fall, and unfolds the Odyssey. The name is Mystery, meaning an odd puzzle, but not unsolvable. The hero will battle to their limits, to prevail with the help of its friends. The black hole is set back 200 years, saving the world.

Odyssey Manuscript #3 Death of a Great
    Spoiler:
    80 years after the Odyssey, Mystery goes into exile. The Hero climbs to the Mountain of Amber and re-writes the manuscripts, along with the Ubuntu Manuscripts. He dies the 90th year, and is buried by friends. His Odyssey is remembered always by the Pokemon of Ubuntu, and later on, the residents of Odyssey.

Odyssey Manuscript #12 Chaotic World
    This is the storythat everyone fed you when you were a child, depicting nothing about your Odyssey. Now, they regret it. So read it, and bask in the childhood flashbacks while i get some more coffee. -Mr. Delibird
    Spoiler:
    191 years ago, the world plummeted into chaos. Pokemon attacked each other, evolving was no longer possible, and humans raised and trained Pokemon, as their slaves. But other than that, everything was fine. Everything. Everybody was nice to each other and we were all best friends, got it? Nothing about black holes or doomsday or anything like that. Just niceness. Got it?

Ubuntu Manuscripts:
    As you can see, there are more! These are depicting what happens in the future, and later on when this hack is finished, you'll see why.

Ubuntu Manuscript #1 Future
    Spoiler:
    199 years after Mystery the Great, a boy, named Enigma is born. Enigma means one that is puzzling, ambiguous, or inexplicable. He too, does not learn of his fate until later on. But he is born too late to save the world, as it enters the 12 Years of Horrors. Before he starts, he is given a Togepi by his father. Whilst he is travelling, he catches and trains more Pokemon. He then comes upon the Great Mystery Ruins, burial grounds of Mystery The Great, and finds these Manuscripts. Learning what has happened in the past, and what is happening during the 10th Year of Horror, he sets out the the seafloor cavern where the Black Hole awaits.

Mystery's Journal:
    Hey, whats going on here? We're the same person? Oh well, just read my journal. We both know whats going on, anyways.

Mystery's Journal, page 1

Spoiler:
    My name is Mystery, and I am a Togepi. I have been told I am different by many mystic pokemon like Alakazam and Chimecho, but I don't really think I am. My life is simple. My dad left and my mom was caught. I live with my older sister and younger brother. I read from manuscript #12 that there was once a time called The Centuries Of Chaos, but that ended 8 years ago. Now, pokemon can evolve and play again, and Humans do not know of the Ubuntu region. Why? Because it is small, insignificant, and at the bottom of the globe. Although it is fairly close to Isshu, it is still a year's travel by ship to get here. So for now, we're safe.

I'm concerned about whoever actually wrote Manuscript #12, because it seems cluttered, rushed, and there's a lot of grammatical errors. I think they're hiding something from me. I hope its cake, i'm starving!

But one thing concerns me, and thats the fact nobody will let me see Manuscript #2, Chaos. I must not be old enough. But for now, thats the least of my concerns. I'm leaving the village and finally going on an adventure, but i'm not sure if I want to, after overhearing what Jess, my sister and Marko, the neighbor were talking about.
    I Quote:
    Jess: I'm not sure if he can actually stop the Destructor. I mean, its powerful enough to destroy the world, and he's supposed to be the Eggling who stops it?
    Marko: I don't know, but he will, trust me. His Odyssey will unfold if he leaves. We only have a year until destruction, remember? Please, just let him go!
    Exactly. WHAT?!? was my reaction too. Well, for now, i've got to get some sleep.

Features:
    - The Region and Archipelago of Ubuntu
    - WINTER
    - No pokeballs
    - Replaced Pokemarts, and Pokemon Centers.
    - 5 other pokemon will join you
    - Three islands are based on real islands
    - Pokemon hideaways
    - Golden Sun like World Map instead of Routes.
    - 5th gen pokemon
    - off coloured pokemon

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:
    everything you see here is subject to change

Video:

Characters
    Spoiler:

Charcoal:
    "I've always wanted to adventure... Okay! I'll take your request"
    This shiny Charmander is a social reject due to his difference in society and befriends you early in the adventure. He got an education, and trains hard every day.

Parka:
    "I don't want to go on a stupid adventure. I want to stay here and train!"

This antisocial Piplup loves to train, but not adventure. She trains to become the next Clan Leader. When she meets you and Charcoal, she denies your request, but is forced to follow by her mother. She has a sudden mood change when she realizes that adventuring is fun.

Lugia:
    " An adventure? Let me come! You will not regret it."
    This Golden Bellied Lugia is incredibly popular in his Seafloor City. He's young and willing to adventure. He joins you and is a powerful ally, but develops a hatred for Jenna.

Jenna:
    "You... You're different. I like you."
    This Togekiss is the Clan Leader of the Corvo Hideaway. Parka looks up to her in awe, as she is the Clan Leader. She joins your party after you beat her in the Hideaway.

Charge:
    "I lashed out... and now I regret it. Let me join you"
    This bully of a blue Zapdos attacks every pokemon it sees, and will confront you in front of the P5 island. He is a very powerful ally.

Victor:
    "You again... Time to destroy you and your little friends, shall we?"
    This Victini was drowned by a PokeSnatcher after he resisted being caught. He swam to the neighboring Archipelago of Ubuntu hoping for better luck, to be blasted to the mainland by Charge. He has held a grudge against the pokemon of the Archipelago ever since.

Ghenghis:
    "Leader Victor is not going to be impressed if a small Togepi beats me. Move along, or be destroyed."
    This Gengar was simply born ill-natured, and therefore made a great friend with Victor. He's incredibly weak.

Jira:
    "You... Beat me?"
    Not much is known about this Jirachi, except she was kidnapped and forced to live uptop of the Poke5 tower. She is the strongest a Pokemon can get, but doesn't like to hurt others.

Kaz:
    "Big Bro/Sis, are you leaving? I'll miss you!"
    PLOTSPOILER:
    Spoiler:
    This young Togepi is your brother. He is very persistent, and follows you to the last meeting with Victor, in which he will take on Ghenghis. He winds up defeated, and tossed into the sea. You beat Victor and Ghenghis, and find your brother on Poke5 Isle. He then returns home, as if nothing ever happened.

Team:
    Meprite inserting/Mapping/Music inserting/basic scripter
    Countryemo:Mapper
    IM IN DIRE NEED OF A SCRIPTER.

Support:

HTML Code:
    [url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=230027][IMG]http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u50/kwmcquillan/Odysseysupportbar.png[/IMG][/url]

Are you ready for Band Camp?

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 23rd, 2010 (2:03 AM).
    • Gold Tier

This actually looks quite interesting. I love the story, it looks great!
    One thing you need work on the mapping. The screenies all look empty.

But, overall, I really like your hack!
    Good Luck with it! :3
    Old August 23rd, 2010 (2:19 AM).
    Collecting dust since 1898

The hack looks good. The only thing that i don't like are gen 5 pokemon.
      Those trees are missing their trunks:

And yes,

Munna's eye is transparent. Change the transparent color.
      Otherwise overall,it seems to be a fine hack. Good luck!
      EDIT:
      Quote:
      off coloured pokemon
      What do you mean? O_o
      It's a forest guardian that pities how bad a type Grass is, so it gets moves to help out Grass-types, but is smart enough not to be Grass-type itself. The appearance is simply mimicry to hide from humans.
      Old August 23rd, 2010 (9:20 AM).
      ... loves PC:)

Your Hack looks good! But I don't like 4th generation Pokemon,too.
        You inseret the Sprite well!
        Old August 23rd, 2010 (10:11 AM). Edited August 23rd, 2010 by smellybellysrock.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Kazumoe View Post
          Your Hack looks good! But I don't like 4th generation Pokemon,too.
          You inseret the Sprite well!
          Thanks!
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
          This actually looks quite interesting. I love the story, it looks great!
          One thing you need work on the mapping. The screenies all look empty.

But, overall, I really like your hack!
          Good Luck with it! :3
          For some reason, a few maps weren't saved, but my mapping does suck ;_;

Quote:
          Originally Posted by xoax View Post
          The hack looks good. The only thing that i don't like are gen 5 pokemon.
          Those trees are missing their trunks:

And yes,

Munna's eye is transparent. Change the transparent color.
          Otherwise overall,it seems to be a fine hack. Good luck!
          EDIT:

What do you mean? O_o
          By off coloured pokemon, most pokemon won't have their usual colors.

EDIT: I fixed the eye and trees too, thanks for pointing that out!

Old August 23rd, 2010 (7:49 PM).
          can you feel my heart?
          • Crystal Tier

Nature: Adamant
          Okay so I skimmed the title and the first few sentences and I really thought, "oh man, here we go again." And then I actually re-read the sentences.

Seriously, this caught my attention just with that one little sentence. I can feel a Mystery Dungeon-esque sort of thing going on but it still seems kind of different and that intrigues me. Your features catch my attention too; but, uh, just to say, Ubuntu is actually a computer-related term that's pretty known. :C

Even though there are a few grammatical errors your screenshots look pretty good. One thing I'm not a fan of though is Munna already being in your hack... we don't even know its stats, or its movesets, or anything about it really. I just kind of don't like that. :(

What's with the red screens on the second-to-last row? Is there some weird weather condition going on? Also I think you can help out your maps by varying the grass tile there. There's actually four different types, if you didn't know, and using a mixture of them makes a map look much better than by just using one tile over and over.

I like how you created unique, individual characters, but I think it would be cool if you had a few others (perhaps bad guys, allies that don't join your party, important other pokemon, etc) so that we wouldn't know for sure who's joining our party or not. That's one of the things that made me like MD; the unexpectedness of whether or not someone was going to join me or not. Anyway, I really like how descriptive you went in with the characters. It makes me think that you've indeed spent some time thinking about this which is always a plus. ;3

Err so that kind of unexpectedly ended the thread really. Anyway, to sum it up: I think this is really a neat and unique idea. However there are a few flaws, but nothing really too hard to fix. Good luck with your hack.
          Old August 24th, 2010 (3:35 PM). Edited August 24th, 2010 by smellybellysrock.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Vrai View Post
            Okay so I skimmed the title and the first few sentences and I really thought, "oh man, here we go again." And then I actually re-read the sentences.

Seriously, this caught my attention just with that one little sentence. I can feel a Mystery Dungeon-esque sort of thing going on but it still seems kind of different and that intrigues me. Your features catch my attention too; but, uh, just to say, Ubuntu is actually a computer-related term that's pretty known. :C

Even though there are a few grammatical errors your screenshots look pretty good. One thing I'm not a fan of though is Munna already being in your hack... we don't even know its stats, or its movesets, or anything about it really. I just kind of don't like that.

What's with the red screens on the second-to-last row? Is there some weird weather condition going on? Also I think you can help out your maps by varying the grass tile there. There's actually four different types, if you didn't know, and using a mixture of them makes a map look much better than by just using one tile over and over.

I like how you created unique, individual characters, but I think it would be cool if you had a few others (perhaps bad guys, allies that don't join your party, important other pokemon, etc) so that we wouldn't know for sure who's joining our party or not. That's one of the things that made me like MD; the unexpectedness of whether or not someone was going to join me or not. Anyway, I really like how descriptive you went in with the characters. It makes me think that you've indeed spent some time thinking about this which is always a plus. ;3

Err so that kind of unexpectedly ended the thread really. Anyway, to sum it up: I think this is really a neat and unique idea. However there are a few flaws, but nothing really too hard to fix. Good luck with your hack.
            Thanks for the feedback, and yes, there will be baddies :D

Lets start, shall we?
            - Red screens is the magnificent D/N system in effect.
            - The baddies will exist, and bump into you a bit more often than you like
            - All tiles have been fixed and updated

Bolded: Ubuntu may be the name of a Linux system, yes, but it is also This. (Nerdy )

Also, all Munna can learn is Hypnosis and Dream Eater, because its quite obvious it will have those attacks

Old August 24th, 2010 (3:42 PM).

it looks good i can be a beta tester
              Old August 24th, 2010 (4:06 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by markboyable View Post
                it looks good i can be a beta tester
                Sure, but i'm not that far into the ROM yet. ;_;
                But pretty soon I'll be ready for an Alpha (I hope).

Old August 24th, 2010 (11:59 PM).
                hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                  Right, let me get a few things into my head... OK, you're a Togepi.

Is the party fixed to be only 6 Pokemon (as in, you can only obtain 6 Pokemon throughout) (I am also guessing Togepi is one of them, but I don't know, just a question I have), because if not, we can just... Deposit ourselves, but if so, then it makes it linear.

Anyway, a few grammatical errors in the screenshots (I has a capital I!). But also the maps do look rather bare...

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old August 25th, 2010 (2:41 AM).

Nice new sprites and story.
                    Old August 25th, 2010 (11:22 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Banjora Marxvile View Post
                      Right, let me get a few things into my head... OK, you're a Togepi.

Is the party fixed to be only 6 Pokemon (as in, you can only obtain 6 Pokemon throughout) (I am also guessing Togepi is one of them, but I don't know, just a question I have), because if not, we can just... Deposit ourselves, but if so, then it makes it linear.

Anyway, a few grammatical errors in the screenshots (I has a capital I!). But also the maps do look rather bare...
                      Yes. You're a Togepi.
                      Yes, its fixed to 6 pokemon.
                      I've fixed those.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Fin2iK View Post
                      Nice new sprites and story.
                      Thanks!

Old August 29th, 2010 (9:46 AM). Edited August 29th, 2010 by smellybellysrock.

Bump/Update:
                        I've been playing my Golden Sun game for a bit, and I got the idea of having one large worldmap the player travels across instead of a few simple routes. I've also started a new fresh ROM, so there's no, "I HERD JOO JUST CAEM BAK FRUM FIORE" In the middle of the intro, which also means that the tiles and maps are redone. Missingno will now be called Missingno instead of !, and has a few decent attacks. An alpha is coming soon, so if you're wanting it, a few more weeks :D

Picky Pictures:

Video of revised intro & playthrough of Togepi Hideout:
                        http://romhacktube.com/video/7A6GXWB4XM74/Pokemon-Odyssey-Intro-amp-Hometown

Old September 1st, 2010 (5:03 AM).
                        is searching for members

Nature: Sassy
                          Nice work, but maps like this:

are really boring. u need to snazz it up!

a upcoming stylish and original hacking team
                          Old September 1st, 2010 (2:38 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by aquadan View Post
                            Nice work, but maps like this:

are really boring. u need to snazz it up!
                            Its a starter town, whadd'ya expect?
                            Also, I won't have much updates, because school is back ;~;

Old September 11th, 2010 (8:03 PM).

Update/Bump/Artthing Time!

I have made a major change in the storyline, which you can read in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:
                              Once humans came along, 5 years ago, all the resources dissapeared. Pokemon could no longer evolve by stone, friendship, or day/night. Quite a few pokemon went crazy, and have been attacking others in the wild. Turmoil churned through the world, and quite frankly, pokemon lost. Humans began training them, befriending them, playing and battling with them, but the olden days of the time when humans didn't exist, were lost. Soon, they will be reborn, but not now. Now, the world is too busy being destroyed by a black hole from the inside. But it will only completely destroy the world in 200 years, unless The Eggling can stop it.

Odyssey Manuscript #1, Chaos

My name is Mystery, and I am a Togepi. I have been told I am different by many mystic pokemon like Alakazam and Chimecho, but I don't really think I am. My life is simple. My dad left and my mom was caught. I live with my older sister and younger brother. I read from manuscript #3 that there was once a time called The Centuries Of Chaos, but that ended 8 years ago. Now, pokemon can evolve and play again, and Humans do not know of the Ubuntu region. Why? Because it is small, insignificant, and at the bottom of the globe. Although it is fairly close to Isshu, it is still a year's travel by ship to get here. So for now, we're safe.

But one thing concerns me, and thats the fact nobody will let me see Manuscript #2, Chaos. I must not be old enough. But for now, thats the least of my concerns. I'm leaving the village and finally going on an adventure, but i'm not sure if I want to, after overhearing what Jess, my sister and Marko, the neighbor were talking about.
                              I Quote:
                              Jess: I'm not sure if he can actually stop the Destructor. I mean, its powerful enough to destroy the world, and he's supposed to be the Eggling who stops it?
                              Marko: I don't know, but he will, trust me. His Odyssey will unfold if he leaves. We only have a year until destruction, remember? Please, just let him go!
                              Exactly. WHAT?!? was my reaction too. Well, for now, i've got to get some sleep.

Mystery's Journal, page 1

So if you actually read that, I hope you are saying, "Wow, in depth storyline much?" but there's a reason. I want to make a large series of pages like those, including the Odyssey Manuscripts and Mystery's journal. Odyssey Manuscripts are simply for if you don't quite understand the history behind Ubuntu, they're there. And a few Journal pages will be added every beta or so, depicting what happens.

In other news...
                              BOX AARRRTTTT!

Now, I'm going to explain that odd red logo under the N. Simply put, its the Pokemon Symbol I made for depicting the End of the World, and I thought it looked really cool!

Old September 12th, 2010 (1:18 AM).

Do you know what attacks do the 5th Gen pokémon can learn?
                                Old September 12th, 2010 (8:19 AM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Tyth View Post
                                  Do you know what attacks do the 5th Gen pokémon can learn?
                                  Well, I don't know about Victini, so I'm just giving it Fury Swipes, Flamethrower, Quick Attack, and just for fun, Surf.

For Mun'na, Hypnosis and Dream Eater.

Old September 12th, 2010 (8:38 AM).
                                  Needs NO VMs...

Nature: Naive
                                    The story is good....but read some mapping tutorials, and fast.
                                    Old September 12th, 2010 (8:44 AM).
                                    smellybellysrock smellybellysrock is offline

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by altariaking View Post
                                      The story is good....but read some mapping tutorials, and fast.
                                      Oh shush, I've tried

Anyways, the pictures and video are now outdated

Old September 12th, 2010 (8:57 AM).
                                      Needs NO VMs...

I'm talking about the map you posted today
                                        Old September 12th, 2010 (9:28 AM).

Quote:
                                          I'm talking about the map you posted today
                                          Beh, I meant for it to be boring, and it is.

and I posted that map like, 2 weeks ago?

Old September 12th, 2010 (9:35 AM).
                                          Needs NO VMs...

Even boring maps are waaaayyy better than that, it's just really bad.
                                            Old September 12th, 2010 (10:04 AM).

Quote:
                                              Even boring maps are waaaayyy better than that, it's just really bad.
                                              Thank you for the constructive criticism >.>

Old September 12th, 2010 (8:27 PM).
                                              Is back...
                                              • Gold Tier

Location: I'm always living aren't I?
                                              Nature: Relaxed
                                              um.. i don't mind the maps only because you start of as a pokemon looks good but how was the black hole made O_o?

Quick Reply