• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Unity of a Pack (PG-14)

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
Years
All right then! This is the first of the Acceptance and Bonds series, a darker retelling of the Pokemon Special manga. The Unity of a Pack starts at the RGB arc but doesn't really stay there. I'm unsure of how long this series will be, but let's see where we can go with this. Events from the manga will be in here.

There is Alternative Universe, slight OOC, minor OC's, violence, as well as slight language. Anything else will be told as I go along.

Constructive criticism is welcome and appreciated. All readers of Scarlet Tears, it has not been abandoned.

Disclaimer: I don't own Pokemon.

Prologue: Forgotten

Blurry. Running, running, going away… Thoughts were swirling, yet there was nothing distinct. A hand was trapped firmly in her hold. They were free. They would stay that way. She knew it deeply, in her heart and mind.

She looked ahead at the big black mass before her, pulling them along hard like rag-dolls. She was scared, so scared. The little girl couldn't show it. She had to be brave and strong. She had to for her little one, who needed more hope than anyone.

The girl felt those big, bright eyes on her back. The small, fabric-covered hand in hers was shaking like a wind-blown leaf. She turned and smiled, hoping to calm him. The boy smiled hesitatingly back at her, unused to smiles, unused to light. The hand steadied. She wasn't either, but there were vague memories of the warmth somewhere within her.

"Soon…" she whispered, trying to etch this day deep into both of their minds. "We're almost there now… soon we'll be free and be surrounded in light."

The boy nodded gently, turning his disconcerting gaze straight ahead towards their helper. She did as well. They didn't know their savior, he being a face among many. For one reason or another, this man was helping them and they would do anything to be gone from the cold.

The girl saw the giant creature and whimpered. It was a metal beast, wings held ominously. She did not like that type of Pokemon. They were evil things. In her pocket shook a red and white sphere. The sphere was a Pokeball, holding her closest friend within. It understood her pain and shared it as best it could. Feeling the empathic motions against her leg relaxed her, if only a little. Taking a deep breath, she clamored on, still firmly grasping the small hand. He joined her, gripping tightly to the steel on which he sat.

In a moment they were in the air, soaring alongside the clouds and stars. The boy shuddered and she looked down. The deep blue water below seemed to be beckoning her, yet she knew better. Unconsciously, she tightened her other hand around the man's waist.

The man ordered her, "Tell your sibling to grab your waist with both hands. Hurry! The wind's about to pick up." She passed the order down, and felt the small hand being pried away. The wind abruptly quickened, making the bird falter for a few moments, jolting to a halt.

There was a sudden cry and the boy fell from the creature's back. She grabbed at his hand, but held air. He howled her name into the wind and dove unwillingly toward the sea below. The bird regained control and continued its flight onward, leaving the boy behind.

The girl let out a scream. "Go back! We have to get him! Go back!"

"No can do lady!" replied the man "I made a promise to get at least one of you back and that's what I intend to do!"

She screamed again and beat her fists against his back. Tears fell from her eyes as the bird soared onward. The world became a haze or broken color before turning to calm, sterile white.

………………

The child whimpered and awoke. She struggled out of the entangling sheets. The girl was older now and yet to her, it was still cold.

"Three years now…" she thought. Three years since then, since that time she could barely recall. Her dream began to fade and she mentally grabbed at it, focusing on the other child. Like grains of sand in an hourglass it slipped away, becoming blurry.

"Little one…" The hesitant, gentle smile became dust and she could not find it again.

"No!" she whispered desperately. "Come back please! I'm sorry…"

This was a familiar routine for her. It shouldn't hurt, this remembering and forgetting. It shouldn't. It did and the hurt seemed to do nothing but worsen each time, each dream.

"I'm sorry I forgot. I'm sorry I'm forgetting. I will remember, little one. I promise I will." Tears were falling even as she became determined, even as she slowly calmed. Tears of mourning, of beginning, she never knew the reason for her crying anymore. "I'm going to find you, dead or alive. Soon, the light will be real for both of us." Chirping invisible promises to the air to someone no longer in sight was a sign of broken despair, but it eased her pounding heartbeat and stemmed her flow of tears.

She jumped at a loud knock at her door. A cheerful voice called out, "Hiya Blue! Are you coming outside today?"

Blue giggled. It was just like him to do that. Wiping her eyes, she changed from her pajamas into the black dress that she had grown to love. She cleaned up her room carefully, picking up an apple from the table. Slipping on her black sandals, Blue opened the door to greet the morning with an emotional mask of joy.

Inwardly, she sighed. She was still trapped wasn't she?

Well, there we go. Chapter 1 will take a little while as I'm editing the draft right now. Bye!

-Fell

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
Years
  • Seen Nov 18, 2012
Nice! I never read the manga...but this sounds interesting. I'll waiting for chapter one. :) (By the way...I gave up on Gym Leader Academy. My chapters got deleted, so yeah...I don't feel like it anymore. But I'm planning on a new fic. This time, I'm actually going to write a few chapters before posting the first one. XD)

Fuyu

Years
Oh...that sucks about Gym Leader Academy. I bet your new fic will be awesome though. This story's going to try and be loyal to the manga with some twists. Well, see you soon!

Fuyu

Years
Finally! It's set and ready! Here we go!

Chapter 1: Forest Calling

The sky was a bright, friendly blue. An eleven year boy wearing a red jacket over a white shirt and blue jeans ran down the street, white sneakers scattering the dirt.

A friendly voice called, "Morning Red!" The boy waved back eagerly and hurried onward up the road. In his pocket shook a Pokeball. Red grinned and pulled out the sphere containing his pal Poli, a Poliwhirl. Poli was the Pokemon who saved him that day…

He shook his head to clear it. This wasn't the time for that. He had to hurry. Red grinned and stopped in front of a quaint looking house. The windows were shut and dark, but Red knew she was there.

He knocked on the door and called, "Hiya Blue! Are you coming out today?" He heard the sound of faint giggling and shuffling around. Then the door opened and the sight of the brown, almost red-haired girl greeted him. She was his best friend, second only to one. They had been this way for three whole years. Blue beamed at him, but he could tell she had just been crying. Wisely, he didn't comment.

He grinned. "Guess who's coming back today?"

She laughed, blue eyes shining. "How could I forget? You've been talking about it for a week now." Her eyes took on a more mischievous twinkle. "You must really have missed Green a lot, huh?"

Red flushed in fury. "N-No way! I just want to beat the jerk in a match that's all!"

She laughed playfully. "Sure you do. However…" Blue became serious and her voice dropped. "What are you going to do about Poli? I mean, what if he goes nuts because of the evolution?"

Red scowled, bright eyes glittering. "Poli won't go crazy. That's just a lie that the adults are using to scare us! Just like all the other rules and these stupid fences!" He jerked a thumb at the crisscrossing metal glittering nearby. "You and I both know that the adults are nothing but cowards and idiots! Pokemon are friends! The only reason that they're so bad is 'cause of the hunts all the time."

Blue hurriedly shushed him, eyes dark with worry. "Quiet! I agree with you, so don't yell. If they hear, you might get punished."

Red glowered around him but quieted with a huff. Blue sighed in relief. She understood. The little she remembered before coming here was opposite to what Red was just shouting about. She had said those words and had been hurt for it by the leaders here. It had gotten her hurt and scared, making her more careful.

Blue observed Red continuing to mutter and glare under his breath.

Grinning, she poked him hard in the back. He yelped in shock.

"Relax Red. I'll make sure nobody sees, 'kay?"

He smiled. "Yeah. I was just thinking."

"Oh really now? That's a first."

"Shut up!"

She laughed merrily and waved, disappearing down the left side of the road. Red chuckled too and headed to the right, observing a familiar building at the top of the hill.

……………………

A green-eyed eleven year old stepped from the red train car. The boy wore a purple turtleneck sweater with black pants and an orange-yellow pendant hanging from his neck. He looked around with a bored expression, his brown spiky hair not even twitching from his position.

'Kanto is as cold as ever', he thought, taking in the sharp metal fences, the constant rustling of the trees, and the ever haunting quiet. 'Just like Johto's cold, only much worse because it's my home.' Behind him, the train rattled away, the wheels grunting with the effort. As it disappeared, the boy began his trek up the hill in front of him, tan boots crunching the grass.

"Green!" The sudden voice made him pause and glance up. Green smirked easily, the expression coming naturally.

"Hello Red." Red ran down, stumbling over a tree root and coming to a halt right in front of Green's face. He stepped back and smiled sheepishly.

"Hey, it's been a while!" greeted the cap-wearing boy, falling into step beside him.

"I should hope so. Three years have passed."

"Don't get smart with me young man!" quipped Red. He glanced at the sunlight before tugging on Green's arm. "Now come on, Blue's waiting for us."

Green smirked and allowed his companion to pull him along. After a moment, he inquired, "So how is Blue anyway?"

Red seemed to droop, making Green's eyes darken in slight concern. Red was the only person he knew who could show his emotions like that and if he did that over Blue, this definitely wasn't good.

"Bad huh?" The image of an eight-year old girl sobbing and babbling in his grandfather's arms flashed in Green's mind.

"She's upset and terrified, but won't say anything. I can tell she's been having the nightmares." Red allowed his face to take on a melancholy expression. "Blue told me she doesn't remember but…"

"You don't believe that."

"Not a bit. Something's bothering her. Just wish she'd say something already." Suddenly, Red smiled and seemed to start bouncing again. "Enough sad stuff! Race you to the meadow!" The boy let go of Green's arm and took off. Green held back a smile and ran after his hyperactive friend.

………………………

Blue sat peacefully in the meadow. Her eyes were closed and she looked as though to be sleeping. However she was listening to the sound, or lack of it in this case.

'Shouldn't it be louder?' she asked herself. A part of her knew it should be. Her Pokeball shook in her pocket and she gave a weary smile. Her thoughts were already morbid and she hurriedly stopped them from turning down that path again. She had no energy for it now.

"Blue! Look up would ya!" The familiar yelling made her head snap up, eyes open wide. She saw Red running through the thin grass with one of his familiar grins just barely ahead of an amused-looking Green. Blue waved enthusiastically; glad to see her best friends. It felt like ages since their reunion. Time did things like that.

Red tried to stop himself, but lost his footing and fell flat on his face. Green stumbled as well but managed to keep upright. Both boys were gasping for air.

"I… beat you Green!" gasped Red as soon as he could speak.

"We got here…at the same time!" retorted the brunette, wiping grass from his dark pants. Blue giggled, amused by their antics.

"Well, now that you're here…" began Blue, looking serious. "Why don't you have a battle?"

Red grinned. "Good thinking! I've been waiting for a chance to make Green beg for mercy! Go Poli!" He tossed a Pokeball, which opened as it spun. Out came a blue and white swirl with bumps revealing black eyes. Protruding out were short blue arms and legs. Both arms had white gloves that were clenched into fists, ready for battle.

Green was speechless. "How…did it…?"

"Evolve? Saved my life, that's how. Didn't change anything though. He's still Poli of course." Red's tone was cold and curt. Evidently, this topic bothered him.

Green had an indifferent look. "Is that so? Hmm, I wonder…" He pulled a Pokeball from his pocket and prepared to throw. "Does your "Poli" have any chance against Scyther?"

Red immediately relaxed and threw out a cocky grin. "Of course! Get ready Poli!"

A sudden scream from a little boy made them freeze. "Help! Help! Somebody!" Red hurriedly recalled his Pokemon and all three turned to face the terrified boy. He stopped in front of them, panting. Regaining his breath, the boy exclaimed, "A wild one broke through the fence! It's a Nidorino!"

All three of them felt their jaws drop. Those fences are almost impossible to break. That Pokemon must be powerful.

Red's eyes narrowed and he gestured to Green and Blue to follow. They obeyed, keeping pace with his brisk strides. The three paused in their movements to see a light-purple rhino staring warily at them a short distance away. Blue scowled and released her Pokemon. Green mimicked her.

First came a pink and white puffball with, short appendages, wide blue eyes, and pointed ears. After was a giant praying mantis, wings buzzing aggressively and blades poised to strike. People that had gathered around flinched away at the sight. Scyther was rather menacing-looking after all.

Red clutched Poli's Pokeball and scowled. He'd be putting himself in major danger if he revealed Poli in front of all these people. He would just have to trust in his friends to get the job done.

Blue ordered. "Jigglypuff Disable!" A psychic charge soared through the air and into Nidorino, paralyzing its limbs temporarily.

Green called, "Slash!" Scyther crossed its two blades and sliced an "X" over the Nidorino's head. It roared in anger and broke free of the Disable. Nidorino bolted through the hole it had made in the fence. Observing it now, Red thought it looked easily made. Pallet Town, his home, was so easy to destroy.

This fact made him realize: he had to protect it.

With a wild roar, he launched himself through the gap. Any idea to obey the rules was gone.

'I will protect it. I must protect it.'

Blue and Green were steps behind him, but he soon forgot they existed, absorbed in the process of breaking through bushes. He searched for the pale-violet creature but paused at the sudden crash behind him.

Red remembered his friends and called, "Guys! Is that you?" The response was abnormal. A giant creature cloaked in shadow stepped forward, staring at him. Red cringed back, waiting. The claws came down, cloaked in violet. He felt something sharp and strong pierce his skin and an agonizing pain. His vision grew hazy and colors blurred indistinctly together.

As he fell, Red's last coherent though was, "What have I done?"

He knew no more.

Oops I killed Red. Or did I? Chapter 2 will be up soon.

Later!

-Fell

Fuyu

Years
Finally! Chapter 2! It's a little iffy, but I didn't get much feedback from the people I asked.

Here we go!

Chapter 2: Wild Ride

Something orange flickered over his closed eyes. There was a dull ache in his chest. Red stirred, eyes opening slowly. The light immediately vanished. Gradually, his eyes got used to the dark. He made out a small outline sitting nearby. It gazed at him with bright, nearly white eyes. Red froze as the creature slowly walked forward. The orange flame came to life again, revealing its features.

It was a little boy.

He was covered in a thin layer of dirt with bruises swollen and bleeding scattered all over his body. The child's hair was bright red, which was bright against the solemn eyes that were watching Red. He wore a black sweatshirt hemmed scarlet and lavender pants with black boots.

The boy saw Red's open eyes and drew back, trembling. The flickering embers faded and reappeared rapidly, like an erratic heartbeat. Red made out that which he hadn't seen before and felt his blood run cold.

Red saw the pointed red ears, auburn pupil, and curled red tail jabbing the air. The fire in the boy's palm abruptly died. A deep part of Red knew instinctively that the boy was controlling the fire.

The child hurriedly backed up and disappeared through a hole behind him. Moonlight filtered through the opening. Red could clearly hear shuffling outside and forced his body to relax. He closed his eyes. There was a faint scratching, causing him to open them a slit. The boy was struggling to carry in another limp form, where thin needles were imbedded in the body.

Recognizing the shock of orange hair, Red shouted in shock, "Green!"

Red's loud voice made the boy jump in alarm and drop Green. His friend groaned. The boy turned and bolted out and away, revealing the moon once more. Green groaned again and sat up slowly, rubbing his head. The first thing he saw was Red wrapped in bandages.

"Red?" he mumbled, managing to crawl over. "What happened?"

"Hold on, let me try to get these needles out," Red leaned over and winced at the pain it caused him.

"Relax," cautioned Green. "Stay still and let yourself heal. I'll do it." Reluctantly, Red obeyed. Without hesitation, Green reached for the first needle and yanked it out. Out it came half-soaked in blood. Red flinched. Green scowled and continued. After a moment, he inquired. "So what happened to you? I was stung by that Nidorino and I don't know what happened to Blue."

"Uh…" Red struggled to remember. "I was attacked by a Pokemon, a Nidoking I think...it's so blurry."

"Do you know how we got here?"

Red hesitated, unwilling to tell him about the strange boy. But Green was his friend. If anyone could believe him, it was Green.

He took a deep breath. "I woke up and there was this weird kid here. I think he carried us both here. Unfortunately, I yelled and make him run off after dropping you." Red grinned sheepishly.

Green raised an eyebrow. "And?"

"And what?"

"What are you hiding? Spit it out." Red inwardly sighed. Sometimes his rival could be really blunt.

His eyes darkened slightly. "The boy who brought us here…he wasn't human. He looked like he was more of a Vulpix."

"Like a Vulpix?"

"Mm. He was downright terrified for some reason. I bet the kid will come back." The scratching noise came from outside again, louder this time and the two of them quickly lay on the ground.

He returned, this time with another. A blonde girl, nearly the same age, was helping him carry Blue near them. They placed her gently on the ground

The boy turned to his companion and let out a low whine, evidently unsettled by something. The girl evidently agreed, replying in a soft squeak-like noise, her long mouse ears drooping slightly. The two continued to chatter in that strange way for a moment more.

Suddenly, she spoke, her soft, timid voice raspy from lack of use. "S-S-Stop pretending. We know you're awake." Her solemn yellow eyes, so similar to the boy's, were watching them with a slight hostility.

"Who…are you?" managed Green as he sat again. Gradually, Red mimicked him.

The hostility became more prominent, her eyes chips of flint. "Why do you need to know, huh? Why do you care when you're going to try to kill us like all humans do?" The last words were a sneer, her lightning bolt-shaped tail slashing the air like a blade.

"What are you talking about?" Red's voice was loud and indignant. Both children clapped their hands over their inhuman ears. "We wouldn't do anything like that!"

"Then why was the forest burned? Why were stones thrown at us? You humans from behind the fence have angered the Pokemon so much! Why?" The boy's quiet questions startled them.

"You mean…people from Pallet Town have been coming here?" asked Green, bewildered.

Both children looked at each other. Their eyes weren't nearly as hard now.

She was shocked. "You mean…you don't know? You haven't heard people shouting about killing Pokemon and…" she flinched. "half-breeds?"

A cold dread shifted into Red's stomach. He didn't want to believe this, but a part of him could. All those rules and regulations against Pokemon made it so easy to understand how they could stoop that low.

"Why?" asked Red to nobody in particular "Our city is full of cowards, sure, but I never thought they would do this. Never." Anger and hate bubbled in his heart and he pounded his fist on the hard earth. Red then winced and glowered at his bleeding hand.

The girl was watching him. "You guys…aren't like other humans are you?"

"Of course not!" replied Blue as she carefully raised herself to her knees. "We wouldn't dare kill innocent creatures for existing, especially not children. Besides," She raised a hand to stroke the boy's hair, eyes glowing with something unreadable. He flinched and stared at her with wide, confused eyes. "It seems you guys need kindness more than anyone." Both children stared at her in wonder, the wariness not nearly as fierce.

Slowly, the boy asked, "Do you want to go back?"

Blue paused, lowering her hand. "Go back home, you mean?"

"Yes. We can take you back…if you want." Both looked at each other and nodded.

"Why would you want to go near Pallet Town?" Red demanded to know. "They've nearly killed you!"

"You'll die here," answered the girl simply. The boy darted outside, senses on high alert. Hesitantly, the three followed, the girl taking the rear. The boy sniffed the air before creating a gap in the bushes.

"Hurry!" the two hissed together. Red glimpsed the hole in the fence that they had traveled through before. Blue and Green waved and hopped through. Red hesitated, glancing toward his two new friends half-hidden in shadow.

"Thanks."

Both shrugged.

"Be careful," warned the boy.

"What are your names?"

The girl smiled for the first time. "I'm Yellow and this" she gestured toward the red-haired boy, whose ears bolted up happily. "is Silver."

Silver grinned savagely, revealing fangs. "Now get out of our forest human!" He pushed Red hard through the gap. Red toppled through and landed directly into the beam of a flashlight.

The policeman stared at them. The three returned the look.

……………….

Red yelped in pain as antibiotic was applied over the three slash marks. The nurse stepped away and exited the room. All three looked at each other and sighed.

A knock came at the door. A gray-haired man in a labcoat opened it, eyes filled with concern.

Green tensed. "G-Grandpa…"

Professor Oak turned to them. He seemed slightly afraid, yet terribly curious as well. "What happened in the forest?"

There we are. Tell me what you think and where to improve.

Bye!
-Fell

Back