• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Liking Pokemon something You should hide

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
  • I read in http://www.dragonflycave.com/aapdead.aspx saying this I like Pokémon, but I have to keep it secret from my friends and it's driving me crazy," or "My mom keeps telling me I should be growing out of Pokémon," or "I'm 13, am I too old to like Pokémon?" The point of mentioning this is that basically teenagers are often afraid of revealing that they like Pokémon in real life, because in their peers' and parents' minds, Pokémon is a kid's game and this makes them feel embarrassed about it and want to hide it. I know of quite a few personally who keep it even from their family and parents. There are more Pokémon fans around than it seems at first glance. Is liking pokemon something you should hide? In My oppinion I don't care what people think about me.

Oxnite

aka Arbok
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    I don't really talk about it to other people. It ís actually a kid's game, with all the ''cute'' creatures and such.. At least, that is what your parents and friends might think.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • The only thing I care about is my parents...my dad which reckons Pokémon is "fightfightfightfightfight". Go freaking play any other freaking RPG

So...yeah. My friends like Pokémon too. But then some of my other ones don't...But stuff them.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • Well I my self Hated Pokemon about 5 years ago all i liked digimon more than nothing then I bought Pokemon TCG then I never saw digimon series on T.V. ever again I had no choice but to watch pokemon and Now I like pokemon more than my sister (then again I like anything better then my sister) but the point POKEMON RULEZ

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • It seems like everybody has a Pokemon Cycle.

Yay Pokemon! --> Pokemon is for babies! --> Yay Pokemon again!
    This is my case right now. I would be hiding it trying to act all cool and such and my friends just yapping away about Pokemon. They would go say uh Happiny evolves to Chansey at what level and I would come out of nowhere going it only evolves through happiness. Then an awkward stare would arise I would tell em and we went on talking about Pokemon. I love it.

Years
  • No, If you like it you should stick up for what you like, just don't go mentioning Pokemon randomly to people haha, but if someone asked you if you like Pokemon then just say yeah, There is nothing really wrong for liking a game ... So no you should not. I don't really hide it at all, if someone mentions Pokemon I will talk to them about it all my friends really do not care what I like as a game.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • When I was young, when Pokémon first came out me and my friends all loved it for years. It was the craze. I grew out of it by the time the GBA Series was around, but I still watch most of Johto. A few years ago I watched the Hoenn series and got hooked again. When Pokémon is mentioned, I say I liked the games and the old series. Which is pretty much true, I'm not a fan of DP (Although I'm on Diamond on the DS atm) but I don't say I go on forums and do a bit of role play.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
    Years
  • Everyone around me knows I'm a Charmander maniac =P
    So it's pretty obvious that everyone knows I like pokemon.

Surprisingly, a fair amount of people I know around my age (18) enjoys playing the 4th gen games.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've NEVER hidden the fact that I like Pokemon. N-E-V-E-R.

I could care less what other people think. If your friends or bf/gf make fun fo you for it, then LEAVE THEM. If they don't accept that you like Pokemon, what kind of friends are they? There's plenty of people out there that will accept you for who you are.

Years
  • This is my case right now. I would be hiding it trying to act all cool and such and my friends just yapping away about Pokemon. They would go say uh Happiny evolves to Chansey at what level and I would come out of nowhere going it only evolves through happiness. Then an awkward stare would arise I would tell em and we went on talking about Pokemon. I love it.

lrn2evolve

I've never actively hidden my liking of Pokémon. Rather, the subject hasn't really cropped up. Though some of my peers at school are actually still into it, somewhat surprisingly, given I've never heard them mention it before. I've been open to discussing it much more, as a result.

Years
  • im actually quite open with people knowing i like pokemon...im almost 19 and i still play pokemon...actaully its preaty awsome cause i met this girl who is going to japan and she loves pokemon and shes gunna send me a pokemon (like a teddy bear) and people dont mind...like me and my friend were playing together at the univiersit in our english class and nobody really cared...actaully if it wasnt for me being so open i wouldnt have met some of my best friends :D

Vail

wah
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2014
    I think that most people have liked Pokemon or something similar at some point in their lives, so the people I know tend to be less judgmental and more nostalgic when Pokemon comes up in conversation (which is....almost never).

But if you're still seriously into Pokemon at a certain point (I don't know...like 15?) I wouldn't use it as an icebreaker. xD When I was caught playing it, I got a weird glance; but then I just said, "Everybody has their crutches," and she laughed and said, "That's true." Problem solved. c=

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    I liked pokemon, and then I sort of lost interest. I found my old Leafgreen like 2 years ago and got back into it. I sort of forgot how much I liked it...
    No-one has really asked me if I liked pokemon but if they did, I wouldn't lie. It's just it's never come up in conversation, so I haven't said anything.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    All my friends know I like pokemon, and they don't care. Just be yourself and have fun! My girlfriend actually likes me playing and liking pokemon cuz she likes it too, so yeah we have fun playing the games with each other! =D

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I don't like, go around advertising my fandom to all the other kiddies at my college, but I don't make it a point to keep it hidden. I talk about design and other stuff when I'm at school, anyway. There aren't many places where Pokemon could come up in conversation at school unless I'm doodling Pokemon and someone notices. No one ever really watches me draw, though, and I'm usually doodling random weird stuff or dragons anyway, not Pokemon.

Back