Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Old January 18th, 2014 (4:45 AM). Edited January 19th, 2014 by darkprince909.

I'm having an issue here, but it's not really much to do with not being able to follow the tutorial. It's just my tilemap is too big. By that, I mean it's 16x16, so it's not actually too big to load into the ROM. The problem is I was banking on being able to flip some tiles to repeat here and there, but 8BPP won't let me, whereas 4BPP will.

Here's my map and tileset I'm trying to import. I already trimmed about 110 duplicate or similar tiles out of a previous version, and I'm not sure what, if anything I can cut to make room for the "flipped" tiles if I can't flip them in NTME.

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. Still have an issue with the bottom right corner. I figured it would be covered by the textboxes in all cases. Turns out I forgot how the Pokedex displayed the map. And for some reason, the tiles and tilemap I imported seemed to work just fine for the Pokedex, except there are a few tiles in that corner that didn't carry over from the World Map and Pokenav map onto the Pokedex screen. It's not too big an issue, just kind of annoying. There's a big portion of land that runs right into the sea with no transition. And for some reason, the third color in the palette likes to change. It's not that big a deal, and I think it's a little cool. It's the light gray that outlines the routes, and sometimes it'll be the right color, other times it'll be red or blue or some other color.

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 20th, 2014 (3:35 PM). Edited January 20th, 2014 by The_Show.
    Banned

Nature: Sassy

Quote:
      Originally Posted by neotornado View Post
      Sorry if this question was repeated, but as stated, 8BPP mode won't accept the sphere files (effectively making the video provided worthless), is there any way I can get the tilemap into a RAW file? I really don't want to make the map tile-by-tile in NTME.

First, open up the tilemap file that Sphere created. You must now take a screenshot of the tiles (like the guy does in the youtube video provided for this tutorial). Open up the screenshot in Gimp, turn on your grid, and edit the picture until you have a perfect tileset that fits in the 8x8 pixel grid. Export/Save the file as a PNG. As long as it doesn't have over 256 different tiles, it should open up fine in NTME 8BPP mode.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by miggy93 View Post
      A little help please. I followed everything but once I check the map on VBA, it seems glitchy. Here's a link since I can't post images yet.

i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab289/miggy93/untitled.png

I've encountered this problem before. When you are making your tilemap on NTME, in the bottom right hand corner, make sure you set it to "R/S WM". If it is just at CUSTOM, your map will glitch like it did in the picture.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by markis View Post
      what tile molester you are using? i do all things but then i try to import .pal file i cant, cuz my tilemolester doesnt support .pal ? Here a screen.

Download Tile Molester Alternate. It's easy to find on the internet. TMA can only open a rom ONCE, but you can fix this problem here.

Now you'll be able to import your file.

Old August 5th, 2014 (1:08 PM).

Hi, I am hacking ruby and I followed all the steps, but I seem to have a "map's color" problem. My map looks fine only where I saved the BG... For example: If I saved the BG in the pokecenter, the map will have the correct colors only when I am in the pokecenter, if I use the pokekav or pokedex when I am in a route, some colors will be wrong (but if I save the BG in a route, the colors will be fine in that route and wrong in the pokecenter). Do you know what I am doing wrong? Thanks for your attention. (and sorry for my bad english)

Old August 28th, 2014 (9:22 AM).
        Beginer Rom Hacker

Nature: Serious

Hey so I followed the tutorial but in game my map looks like a mess of the tile set any ideas? I'm using ruby as my base, and heres what i see (just copy paste it into a browser cause I can't post links yet) gyazo.com/2322b0029c1285bfbfc387d57ba94204

Old February 12th, 2015 (7:44 PM).

Nature: Jolly

I don't know how to make a tile set for my world map.

Old July 27th, 2015 (2:57 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Zero Karma Loss View Post
              You're right about NTME. I went ahead and redrew it in 8BPP and it loads just fine at the R/S World Map settings. I should note that I'm only getting one "Ptr found at 00XXXXXX. Changed." message per insertion in unLZ.

The map is still all over the place, but the colors are correct. For whatever reason it seems determined not to adjust to my Johto rendition and scatter itself across the original Hoenn outline instead.

Hi did you find a reason why you get only one message?I have the same problem.

Also does anyone know the address of the world map in unZL for ruby??The map tileset is at 136 but i cant find the tilemap.I've tried 137 and 146 but they didn't work.(I have inserted the tileset but not the tilemap)

Old July 28th, 2015 (7:46 AM).

I have an answer how i change the Fly Map Postisons? The Advance map change only the Place but not if you walking or fly use is still the same Place sorry for my bad english how i do on firered make alle 4 maps work with the same platte and tileset?

Old July 30th, 2015 (2:39 AM).

How different is it to change the world map in FR/LG? I prefer to hack those games, "better visuals imo" Great tutorial though, If I do hack ruby I'll definitely benefit.

Old July 30th, 2015 (6:16 AM).
                  Fluorite's back, brah
                  • Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by RetroGamingTactics View Post
                  How different is it to change the world map in FR/LG? I prefer to hack those games, "better visuals imo" Great tutorial though, If I do hack ruby I'll definitely benefit.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=312794

You're better off hacking emerald or fire red btw, ruby is a pretty bad base.

Old September 2nd, 2015 (6:30 AM).
                  Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends

Where's the palette offset for the Pokedex worldmap?

Check out my hack: Pokemon League of Legends.
                    Join the subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/PokemonLoL/
                    If you would like to give me money for no reason you can do so here

Old January 10th, 2016 (12:21 PM).
                    Some guy on the internet.

Hi! Does anyone know what palette offset the world map is? I want change the palette as my map is in HGSS style, and importing the actual tilemap worked, but the colors are all sorts of messed up. Thanks!

Old January 10th, 2016 (1:52 PM).
                      Fluorite's back, brah
                      • Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by im_mega View Post
                      Hi! Does anyone know what palette offset the world map is? I want change the palette as my map is in HGSS style, and importing the actual tilemap worked, but the colors are all sorts of messed up. Thanks!

For emerald, it's at 0x59F73C or 0x59F75C. One of those two.

Old January 10th, 2016 (2:17 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Danny0317 View Post

Hey! Thanks for the response. I have a weird situation though, to say the least. The palettes at those offsets aren't the same used in my map.But, if I leave out the part where I import the .png tileset then it keeps similar colors (not exact, but most are the right color) of my actual map, but the layout is all sorts of messed up, but if I do import the .png, then the layout is correct, but the palette is not. Do you know what causes this? Thanks!

Old January 10th, 2016 (2:44 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Danny0317 View Post

So, scratch my last comment, I some how figured it out (by redoing the File Molester step with a 16 color bmp) and now the colors are somewhat close! Thanks!

Ingame

How it should actually look

(I know that some of the green diamond tile aren't there, that's my fault :D)

Old January 22nd, 2016 (7:44 PM).

I'm physically retarded. In my map, I forgot that part of it would be obscured by the textbox. Is it possible to move the textbox so that it doesn't obscure the map

Old May 10th, 2016 (2:39 PM).
                            Reshiram white as snow Reshiram white as snow is offline

Nature: Timid

I found a bug, if change the map, it just changed in navigator and pokemon center's map, but if check the Pokedex area arrangement, the map is still Hoenn map, so where is the location of the map in Pokedex? If use unlz to find?

Welcome everybody to play 《Pokemon Eternal Snow》
                              http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qY7p9bY
                              password:
                              4pqq
                              The website of Pokemon Eternal Snow pokecommunity:
                              http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9200526

Old February 27th, 2017 (6:17 AM). Edited May 29th, 2017 by Adam19842004.

Hi. I don't know if someone has already asked this, but there are 7 pages on this topic, and someone might have asked something that's similar but not identical to my question. I made my map using paint, because it's easier than GIMP. Much, much easier. Anyway, I don't know how to change the grid into an 8 by 8 grid on GIMP. When I click on "Configure grid" and change it to 8 pixels by 8, the grid has more than 8 by 8 little boxes. It has 8 by 14. I guess these are tiles, but I'm not sure. I don't normally use GIMP for anything. It's GIMP 2 I have by the way. When I click on the "Help" section for GIMP, it says: "TLS/SSL support not available; install glib-networking". I can't seem to be able to download the manual either. So I don't know how to make it have 8 by 8 boxes, assuming that that's what I have to do. Is it supposed to have 8 by 14 boxes/tiles? I don't want to get it wrong. Also, when I configure the grid like this, the map goes blurry. The towns and cities don't fit in one box. Do I need to redraw the map using another program? I don't understand how to draw a new image using GIMP. Is there another program I can use to redrew the map? Also, I can't work out how to copy just one tile. Please help me.

Old March 25th, 2017 (6:02 PM).

Does Anyone have premade emerald tile set that they can send me please ive been sitting for hours just trying to get the tile set of the emerald map to make my own original world map.

Old March 25th, 2017 (6:04 PM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Adam19842004 View Post
                                    Hi. I don't know if someone has already asked this, but there are 7 pages on this topic, and someone might have asked something that's similar but not identical to my question. I made my map using paint, because it's easier than GIMP. Much, much easier. Anyway, I don't know how to change the grid into an 8 by 8 grid on GIMP. When I click on "Configure grid" and change it to 8 pixels by 8, the grid has more than 8 by 8 little boxes. It has 8 by 14. I guess these are tiles, but I'm not sure. I don't normally use GIMP for anything. It's GIMP 2 I have by the way. When I click on the "Help" section for GIMP, it says: "TLS/SSL support not available; install glib-networking". I can't seem to be able to download the manual either. So I don't know how to make it have 8 by 8 boxes, assuming that that's what I have to do. Is it supposed to have 8 by 14 boxes/tiles? I don't want to get it wrong. Also, when I configure the grid like this, the map goes blurry. The towns and cities don't fit in one box. Do I need to redraw the map using another program? I don't understand how to draw a new image using GIMP. Is there another program I can use to redrew the map? Also, I can't work out how to copy just one tile. Please help me.
                                    im havin the same problems with gimp

Old May 29th, 2017 (4:55 AM).

How big does each tile have to be? Also, does an 8 by 8 grid mean 8 tiles by 8 tiles? Or does 8 by 8 refer to the size of the tiles?

Old July 8th, 2017 (1:16 PM).

Just popping in to put this down for posterity, cause I can't find it anywhere online and it doesn't pop up in unlz:

The offset for the tileSET used for the worldmap in the standard rom is 59f77c in emerald. You can edit this rather than just creating your own tileset from scratch. Remember it is in 256 colour mode for NSE, and remember to choose a palette file that has enough different colours, like the one at c1d750

Play Pokemon Emerald 2 at https://mega.nz/#!8s50XARI!3FsX-qmsLy001v_v63OW7Kk89PqIFdZT7fnYsGKDPqw
                                        Thanks to DizzyEgg, lu-ho, gamer2020, YAPE, darthatron's numerous tools, that one tutorial, hackmew for xse, and yall for playing this low difficulty blazeblack/voltwhite mod for Pokémon Emerald.
                                        LATEST PATCH:

Spoiler:
                                        -Forgettable hms (excludes surf and fly bc softlocks &c)
                                        -bug fixes
                                        -ice has higher defense in hail
                                        -poison types take 1/4 less damage from poisoned or badly poisoned foes
                                        -Disguise Sudowoodo and Shields Down golem, Feraligatr line has a new ability, Croc Jaw, which makes biting moves crit, Blastoise/lapras line has Tank Shell, which restores 1/16 health each turn.
                                        -ability changes e.g poison point, static and flame body all afflict an attacker 30% of the time as usual, and now additionally afflict the TARGET of contact moves used by those with the ability 30% of the time
                                        -Hyper fang now deals just under half the target's MAX hp as damage, like a souped up super fang

Previous patch:
                                        Spoiler:
                                        -Dizzy Egg's incredible emerald battle engine. Battles are fully updated to gen7.
                                        -new victory road floor 3, featuring some sneaky, interesting twists on ice puzzles
                                        -new route!: fray manor isle, featuring haunted house and giant spiders
                                        -new route 2!: Pa'i canyon, featuring ancient runes, ancient ruins, and some devilish strength puzzles
                                        -new tms, move tutors, abilities, and fly functionality

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links