Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old June 24th, 2009 (4:43 AM).
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
Your aquatic overlord
     
    Join Date: May 2004
    Location: Harassing Bill
    Age: 29
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Bold
    Posts: 3,280
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
    I haven't set up e-mail on the computer I'm using and I don't know how.
    While you might have switched computers since you registered, I'm just wondering how you managed to get onto PC, considering a legit e-mail address is required.

    That said, bobandbill is right. There's a plethora of free e-mail providers on the series of tubes you can use. GMail's the best one, but there's also Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Mail.com, and so on and so forth. It takes five minutes to sign up for an account, so it's really not that difficult. You'll need a working e-mail address to sign up for anything else on the internet anyway, so you might as well get one.
    __________________
    Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

    Need some light reading?
    Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
    The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
    Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
    Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old June 24th, 2009 (5:00 AM).
    Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
    Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
    Team Galactic Member
       
      Join Date: Dec 2008
      Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Quiet
      Posts: 48
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
      While you might have switched computers since you registered, I'm just wondering how you managed to get onto PC, considering a legit e-mail address is required.

      That said, bobandbill is right. There's a plethora of free e-mail providers on the series of tubes you can use. GMail's the best one, but there's also Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, Mail.com, and so on and so forth. It takes five minutes to sign up for an account, so it's really not that difficult. You'll need a working e-mail address to sign up for anything else on the internet anyway, so you might as well get one.
      I didn't switch computers.

      Now I want this thread closed.

      Please just give me advice that is not on copyrights. *Gets on knees and begs*
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #28    
      Old June 24th, 2009 (5:32 AM).
      JX Valentine's Avatar
      JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
      Your aquatic overlord
         
        Join Date: May 2004
        Location: Harassing Bill
        Age: 29
        Gender: Female
        Nature: Bold
        Posts: 3,280
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
        I didn't switch computers.
        *eyebrow quirk* In that case, what happened to the e-mail address you used to sign up for PC? The one you had to have and verify not only by entering twice in the registration form but also by clicking a link in an e-mail sent to it? Even if you don't use it anymore, it should still be a working e-mail address because there's absolutely no way you could have applied to this board without one. (No, you can't hack the board, and you can't apply with a fake e-mail address.)

        Quote:
        Please just give me advice that is not on copyrights.:pink_eek: *Gets on knees and begs*
        This is why we can't:

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
        It's not mindless gibberish, the advice you've been receiving. It's people not jumping up and down praising your (stolen) idea.

        ....

        And really, there's no point in further discussion concerning the actual fic if you're just going to steal someone's ideas. That's why everyone is focusing on that fact.
        That and you told bobandbill off for legitimate advice. You've deleted posts in an earlier conversation when I advised you to get in touch with someone to avoid getting in trouble. You even said two people who were trying to help you were frustrating you. The only time when you were at all receptive was when you were getting fed plot ideas or praise for your story idea. (And no, I'm not counting your other idea thread here. I honestly don't know what Feign is talking about, either.)

        So, why should we offer you any advice beyond what we're already giving you, considering those are the major problems we see, and you're blowing us off? If you want to get advice, stop whining that we're giving you advice you don't want to hear and start actually looking at what we're trying to tell you. Be willing to look things up on your own (because Google-fu is a skill everyone needs to have nowadays), and stop begging for advice when you're already getting it.

        Look, I'm sorry I have to come to this point: telling you off for your behavior. I really don't like doing it because I don't think people listen if one talks to them with the verbal equivalent of a backhand. However, all you're doing is snapping or rejecting people outright when they're trying to help you, and there's nothing I hate more than someone who wants to be overdramatic instead of actually fix a problem that will take five minutes to fix if they actually followed the instructions everyone else is kind and patient enough to hand the author on a silver platter.

        Point is, you haven't been receptive to most of the comments you've been getting on this thread, so why should we bother?

        tl;dr:
        ADVICE:
        Blowing people off (by begging for other advice when you haven't fixed the main problem or by saying the person frustrates you and refusing to take other people's advice because "you're a fan" and therefore, you apparently know everything) is...

        ...NOT A GOOD IDEA.

        So, chances are, to avoid ticking people off, you'll want to learn how to communicate with people. Communicating with people does not entail:

        1. Making excuses.
        2. Telling people the advice you don't want to follow is useless.
        3. Deleting your posts for any reason besides it's a genuine mistake (double posting, et cetera).
        4. Plagiarizing and attempting to pass it off as okay. (Well, at least, it is if you happen to be in communication with the creator of said idea, which you have yet to do.)

        It does entail, however:

        1. Being willing to fix mistakes yourself, possibly by looking up the instructions if necessary on Google.
        2. Thanking people for their advice or otherwise telling them politely that it might not apply (only if it really doesn't).
        3. Not deleting your posts.
        4. Asking for permission.
        __________________
        Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

        Need some light reading?
        Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
        The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
        Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
        Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
        Reply With Quote
          #29    
        Old June 24th, 2009 (1:37 PM).
        Astinus's Avatar
        Astinus Astinus is offline
        Remember NovEnder
           
          Join Date: May 2006
          Location: Connecticut, USA
          Age: 30
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 9,960
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
          Now I want this thread closed.

          Please just give me advice that is not on copyrights. *Gets on knees and begs*
          I can't close this thread if you still want advice. I will, however, close this thread if things continue the way they have been going.

          And seriously, PC does require a working email in order to sign up and post (with the exception of CQ&F), and you had to have had one in order to be posting where you have been. So something must have happened.

          What email did you enter in when you first signed up, and what happened to it?

          Even if there's some story behind the missing email, it's easy to sign up for another one. There are free email providers out there on the Internet that you can find by Googling them.

          The fact that you still haven't received permission to use another fanartist's idea and are still willing to continue planing out this story isn't good. There's no point at all telling you how to work the actual crossover if you're still stealing something.

          Also, I'm not quite sure how to tell you that we're afraid of giving you advice, since the people who have given advice have been treated poorly.
          __________________
          Now nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody speaks my name
          I'm just another blister in the mouth of shame
          A bug in Ender's Game

          Reply With Quote
            #30    
          Old June 24th, 2009 (8:04 PM). Edited June 25th, 2009 by Ineffable~.
          Ineffable~'s Avatar
          Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
          DAT SNARKITUDE
          • Crystal Tier
           
          Join Date: Aug 2008
          Location: Any ol' place really
          Age: 23
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Naive
          Posts: 2,742
          Spoiler:
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
          *eyebrow quirk* In that case, what happened to the e-mail address you used to sign up for PC? The one you had to have and verify not only by entering twice in the registration form but also by clicking a link in an e-mail sent to it? Even if you don't use it anymore, it should still be a working e-mail address because there's absolutely no way you could have applied to this board without one. (No, you can't hack the board, and you can't apply with a fake e-mail address.)



          This is why we can't:



          That and you told bobandbill off for legitimate advice. You've deleted posts in an earlier conversation when I advised you to get in touch with someone to avoid getting in trouble. You even said two people who were trying to help you were frustrating you. The only time when you were at all receptive was when you were getting fed plot ideas or praise for your story idea. (And no, I'm not counting your other idea thread here. I honestly don't know what Feign is talking about, either.)

          So, why should we offer you any advice beyond what we're already giving you, considering those are the major problems we see, and you're blowing us off? If you want to get advice, stop whining that we're giving you advice you don't want to hear and start actually looking at what we're trying to tell you. Be willing to look things up on your own (because Google-fu is a skill everyone needs to have nowadays), and stop begging for advice when you're already getting it.

          Look, I'm sorry I have to come to this point: telling you off for your behavior. I really don't like doing it because I don't think people listen if one talks to them with the verbal equivalent of a backhand. However, all you're doing is snapping or rejecting people outright when they're trying to help you, and there's nothing I hate more than someone who wants to be overdramatic instead of actually fix a problem that will take five minutes to fix if they actually followed the instructions everyone else is kind and patient enough to hand the author on a silver platter.

          Point is, you haven't been receptive to most of the comments you've been getting on this thread, so why should we bother?

          tl;dr:
          ADVICE:
          Blowing people off (by begging for other advice when you haven't fixed the main problem or by saying the person frustrates you and refusing to take other people's advice because "you're a fan" and therefore, you apparently know everything) is...

          ...NOT A GOOD IDEA.

          So, chances are, to avoid ticking people off, you'll want to learn how to communicate with people. Communicating with people does not entail:

          1. Making excuses.
          2. Telling people the advice you don't want to follow is useless.
          3. Deleting your posts for any reason besides it's a genuine mistake (double posting, et cetera).
          4. Plagiarizing and attempting to pass it off as okay. (Well, at least, it is if you happen to be in communication with the creator of said idea, which you have yet to do.)

          It does entail, however:

          1. Being willing to fix mistakes yourself, possibly by looking up the instructions if necessary on Google.
          2. Thanking people for their advice or otherwise telling them politely that it might not apply (only if it really doesn't).
          3. Not deleting your posts.
          4. Asking for permission.
          My gosh, that's exactly what I wanted to say. How do you word it so well?

          Oh my goodness. Look at this!
          1. https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service... (Gmail registration)
          2. https://www.deviantart.com/join/ (Deviantart registration)
          3. http://sonicangel948.deviantart.com/ (The creator of Dawn the Rabbit)

          Now we literally couldn't make it easier to do it without actually doing it for you.
          __________________

          #077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
          Fire ~ Field eggs
          3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

          Its hooves are 10 times harder
          than diamonds. It can trample
          anything completely flat in moments.

          Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
          Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
          Locations: Pokémon Mansion

          Cry

          Other names:

          jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
          de: Ponita
          fr: Ponyta
          cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


          Reply With Quote
            #31    
          Old June 25th, 2009 (6:19 AM).
          JX Valentine's Avatar
          JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
          Your aquatic overlord
             
            Join Date: May 2004
            Location: Harassing Bill
            Age: 29
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Bold
            Posts: 3,280
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Lilbittygoat View Post
            My gosh, that's exactly what I wanted to say. How do you word it so well?
            *bows* Telepathy.

            Seriously, thanks. Just throwing in my two cents that comes from years of experience, a sense of empathy, and maybe a bottle of alcohol or two. (Or not. I could have used one, though.)

            Quote:
            3. http://Pokefemale-club.deviantart.com/ (The creator of Dawn the Rabbit)
            Or alternatively...

            http://sonicangel948.deviantart.com/ (SonicAngel948 herself. The Pokefemale thing is a club. dAers have strange customs, but it's basically like a second account where multiple people can resubmit stuff. In any case, SonicAngel's e-mail address is halfway down the page. Keep scrolling until you see "Devious Info" on the right side. It's the last line there.)

            But yep. Really not that difficult, Swampoleon. *nods*
            __________________
            Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

            Need some light reading?
            Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
            The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
            Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
            Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
            Reply With Quote
              #32    
            Old June 25th, 2009 (8:06 AM).
            Ineffable~'s Avatar
            Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
            DAT SNARKITUDE
            • Crystal Tier
             
            Join Date: Aug 2008
            Location: Any ol' place really
            Age: 23
            Gender: Female
            Nature: Naive
            Posts: 2,742
            Thanks for that. Now there can officially be no excuses.
            __________________

            #077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
            Fire ~ Field eggs
            3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

            Its hooves are 10 times harder
            than diamonds. It can trample
            anything completely flat in moments.

            Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
            Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
            Locations: Pokémon Mansion

            Cry

            Other names:

            jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
            de: Ponita
            fr: Ponyta
            cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


            Reply With Quote
              #33    
            Old June 25th, 2009 (7:54 PM).
            Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
            Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
            Team Galactic Member
               
              Join Date: Dec 2008
              Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
              Age: 22
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quiet
              Posts: 48
              ,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own. Leave me alone! Post on the other idea I have!
              I'm confused.
              __________________
              Reply With Quote
                #34    
              Old June 25th, 2009 (8:40 PM).
              JX Valentine's Avatar
              JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
              Your aquatic overlord
                 
                Join Date: May 2004
                Location: Harassing Bill
                Age: 29
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Bold
                Posts: 3,280
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                ,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own.
                We're talking about this:

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                Okay, so basically Dawn ends up in sonic's universe as Dawn the Rabbit™(search Dawn the rabbit on deviantart.com)
                The fact that you use someone else's idea (this character) is the problem.

                'Course, some of us might also be adding in the fact that SonicAngel strangely enough wrote a fanfic exactly like this, but for the sake of making at least one level of this absolutely clear, I'm just setting aside accusations and going with the fact that you originally stated that you wanted to write about Dawn the Rabbit, which is technically someone else's fan character, redesigns or not.

                And even then, if this is a complaint that we're not giving you advice, feel free to scroll up to the text highlighted in big, green font. Again, why should we give you any advice at all when all you do is snap at us? We've never even received an apology for that, especially given the fact that up until this point, we've been trying to help you. =|
                __________________
                Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                Need some light reading?
                Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                Reply With Quote
                  #35    
                Old June 25th, 2009 (8:49 PM).
                icomeanon6's Avatar
                icomeanon6 icomeanon6 is online now
                It's "I Come Anon"
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2008
                  Location: Northern Virginia
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 1,146
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                  ,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own. Leave me alone! Post on the other idea I have!
                  I'm confused.
                  Jeeze, guys, you're going to make him cry.

                  Seriously, though, this is fanfiction. Just about all of your ideas have been done before by default. Pokemon fanfiction is especially crowded, so there's no shame in admitting that your material isn't all that original. As a fanficcer, your job isn't so much to come up with new ideas as it is to implement existing ideas in new ways. Just ask the artist for permission and we'll be more than happy to give you literary advice.

                  As for being left alone, you should consider yourself fortunate that you have so many experienced users like bobandbill and Valentine who are paying attention to you. You need to get lucky to get noticed in the world of fanfiction, so I'd say you're off to a great start so far! Congratulations!
                  __________________
                  Old, Janky Fics
                  One-Shot Fics
                  Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names
                  Reply With Quote
                    #36    
                  Old June 26th, 2009 (9:00 AM).
                  Ineffable~'s Avatar
                  Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
                  DAT SNARKITUDE
                  • Crystal Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Aug 2008
                  Location: Any ol' place really
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: Female
                  Nature: Naive
                  Posts: 2,742
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                  ,>_<, It is not stolen! I came up with it on my own. Leave me alone! Post on the other idea I have!
                  I'm confused.
                  My god... I just linked to every single page you'll ever need to go to in order to communicate with Sonicangel! How hard is it to cick three separate links and make two accounts? And actually, you've wasted exponentially more time arguing with us than it ever would have taken to do it in the first place. If you just suck it up and ask her, you'll have Bobandbill and Valentine (and not to mention, me) to give you advice on your fanfic. But one thing we will not do is advise or help you on a plagiaristic work.

                  EDIT: I'll do it once more.

                  1. https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service... (Gmail registration)
                  2. https://www.deviantart.com/join/ (Deviantart registration)
                  3. http://sonicangel948.deviantart.com/ (The creator of Dawn the Rabbit)


                  ~Lilbittygoat
                  __________________

                  #077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
                  Fire ~ Field eggs
                  3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

                  Its hooves are 10 times harder
                  than diamonds. It can trample
                  anything completely flat in moments.

                  Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
                  Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
                  Locations: Pokémon Mansion

                  Cry

                  Other names:

                  jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
                  de: Ponita
                  fr: Ponyta
                  cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


                  Reply With Quote
                    #37    
                  Old June 26th, 2009 (12:09 PM).
                  Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
                  Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
                  Team Galactic Member
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2008
                    Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
                    Age: 22
                    Gender: Male
                    Nature: Quiet
                    Posts: 48
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Lilbittygoat View Post
                    My god... I just linked to every single page you'll ever need to go to in order to communicate with Sonicangel! How hard is it to cick three separate links and make two accounts? And actually, you've wasted exponentially more time arguing with us than it ever would have taken to do it in the first place. If you just suck it up and ask her, you'll have Bobandbill and Valentine (and not to mention, me) to give you advice on your fanfic. But one thing we will not do is advise or help you on a plagiaristic work.

                    EDIT: I'll do it once more.

                    1. https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service... (Gmail registration)
                    2. https://www.deviantart.com/join/ (Deviantart registration)
                    3. http://sonicangel948.deviantart.com/ (The creator of Dawn the Rabbit)


                    ~Lilbittygoat
                    I'm not going to ask because of these things:

                    1. Dawn is the only character who is turned anthro.

                    2. No Red Dragon of Wrath (Which, I think is a bad villain name)

                    3. G.U.N. and Eggman actually wonder how Dawn ended in the sonic universe and Eggman steals her Pokédex and an empty Pokéball from her.

                    4. In anthro form, Dawn can run fast like Sonic and use her rabbit ears to glide like Knuckles.

                    5. I don't need no stinkin' permission it's a fanfic!
                    __________________
                    Reply With Quote
                      #38    
                    Old June 26th, 2009 (6:28 PM). Edited June 26th, 2009 by JX Valentine.
                    JX Valentine's Avatar
                    JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
                    Your aquatic overlord
                       
                      Join Date: May 2004
                      Location: Harassing Bill
                      Age: 29
                      Gender: Female
                      Nature: Bold
                      Posts: 3,280
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                      1. Dawn is the only character who is turned anthro.

                      2. No Red Dragon of Wrath (Which, I think is a bad villain name)

                      3. G.U.N. and Eggman actually wonder how Dawn ended in the sonic universe and Eggman steals her Pokédex and an empty Pokéball from her.

                      4. In anthro form, Dawn can run fast like Sonic and use her rabbit ears to glide like Knuckles.
                      Not quite the point. You're using someone else's fan character, dear, and that's what we're all rioting about.

                      And even then, you're getting pretty specific here. A handful of very narrow details that have been changed or left out really doesn't mean that it's not a concept someone else has done if the rest is pretty much the same, if that makes sense.

                      Quote:
                      5. I don't need no stinkin' permission it's a fanfic!
                      For using the canon, yes, it's a given that you don't own the original material, so you don't need to write Nintendo or whatnot to get permission.

                      However, in using a character created by another fan, yes, you do because you're lifting fan concepts (not the entire story, at that -- mostly just the character) from someone else's work. It's like how you might feel if someone took your avatar and claimed that they created the character themselves.

                      That and, again, we're telling you to do it this way so you can avoid drama. The larger companies that churn out the canon don't care if you base a fanfic on their material. Individual fans do.
                      __________________
                      Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                      Need some light reading?
                      Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                      The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                      Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                      Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                      Reply With Quote
                        #39    
                      Old June 26th, 2009 (6:36 PM).
                      ShinjisLover ShinjisLover is offline
                      • Crystal Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Dec 2008
                      Posts: 3,043
                      Here's an idea: Why not turn Hikari/Dawn into a different animal? =/
                      Reply With Quote
                        #40    
                      Old June 26th, 2009 (9:21 PM).
                      Yuoaman's Avatar
                      Yuoaman Yuoaman is offline
                      Legen- wait for it...
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Jul 2005
                      Location: Ontario, Canada
                      Age: 25
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 4,675
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                      I'm not going to ask because of these things:

                      1. Dawn is the only character who is turned anthro.

                      2. No Red Dragon of Wrath (Which, I think is a bad villain name)

                      3. G.U.N. and Eggman actually wonder how Dawn ended in the sonic universe and Eggman steals her Pokédex and an empty Pokéball from her.

                      4. In anthro form, Dawn can run fast like Sonic and use her rabbit ears to glide like Knuckles.
                      As stated previously by Valentine-who has been incredibly helpful to you so far-those don't matter in the least. You're stealing a character created by someone else, and no matter what the story of this fan fiction is you did not create this character, and need permission to use it.

                      Quote:
                      5. I don't need no stinkin' permission it's a fanfic!
                      This baffles me... So if I decided to create a fan fiction using your real life self as a character-same name/physical characteristics-and mis-represented you, that would be just fine and dandy? Because it is a fan-fic, right!?
                      __________________

                      Suit Up!
                      Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

                      "pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

                      Haaave you read my LP?
                      Pokémon Quartz - The only one of mine really worth reading.

                      What about my [Un]Abridged series?
                      Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

                      The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter


                      83% of this signature is empty space.

                      -dary!
                      Reply With Quote
                        #41    
                      Old June 27th, 2009 (5:00 PM).
                      Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
                      Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
                      Team Galactic Member
                         
                        Join Date: Dec 2008
                        Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
                        Age: 22
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Quiet
                        Posts: 48
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Yuoaman View Post
                        As stated previously by Valentine-who has been incredibly helpful to you so far-those don't matter in the least. You're stealing a character created by someone else, and no matter what the story of this fan fiction is you did not create this character, and need permission to use it.


                        This baffles me... So if I decided to create a fan fiction using your real life self as a character-same name/physical characteristics-and mis-represented you, that would be just fine and dandy? Because it is a fan-fic, right!?
                        *nose starts to bleed* Pressure... to much... *dies*

                        *Real me comes in* Honestly, Dawn the rabbit is Dawn of the pokemon series soo... Do I really need permission if this is a fanfic, I mean, Sonicangel probably isn't going to use Dawn the Rabbit in the her fanfic anytime soon, and as I mentioned before:
                        "The design for Dawn the is different"
                        As in, I may of not have had the idea first, but it doesn't mean I need permission. I got the insperation for this idea from her picture.

                        And also, All that e-mail and DA membership stuff is too much work anyways.

                        Sorry for being so immature those other times, I was sorta grounded from electronics, so I kinda was sneaking on.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #42    
                        Old June 27th, 2009 (6:32 PM).
                        bobandbill's Avatar
                        bobandbill bobandbill is offline
                        shake that booty
                        • Administrator
                        • PokéCommunity Daily
                        • Discord Moderoid
                         
                        Join Date: Mar 2008
                        Location: Central Coast - Australia
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Jolly
                        Posts: 13,111
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                        *nose starts to bleed* Pressure... to much... *dies*

                        *Real me comes in* Honestly, Dawn the rabbit is Dawn of the pokemon series soo... Do I really need permission if this is a fanfic, I mean, Sonicangel probably isn't going to use Dawn the Rabbit in the her fanfic anytime soon, and as I mentioned before:
                        "The design for Dawn the is different"
                        Yes.

                        If you still don't think so - read all of the posts again - even the green text by Valentine - and you *should* arrive at the same conclusion that yes; yes you do need permission.

                        Never mind the design differences for the idea (which is by far the core thing here) being copied. Basically, you're saying, for example: 'if I took the Simpsons and tweaked each character a touch such as by giving Homer a beard and Marge green hair, then I don't need permission!' Which is just plain wrong. The fact that this is for a fanfic and came form a picture of a character and so forth changes nothing about this fact.
                        Quote:
                        As in, I may of not have had the idea first, but it doesn't mean I need permission. I got the insperation for this idea from her picture.
                        But you do need permission. *points to previous posts* And your inspiration is more than that. You're using her character - someone else's idea. And that requires permission. Heck, many courses at school teach you all about this - it's nothing made up or new, you know.
                        Quote:
                        And also, All that e-mail and DA membership stuff is too much work anyways.
                        ... good luck getting any help then, if you're so lazy as to not spend 5 mere minutes to do it. Five! Too much work? Sorry, but you just refuse to get it, and it's just plain laziness.

                        But I can't help but think that the same messages have been repeated over and over again, and you just want to ignore advice. That with the business that you claim it's too hard to send an e-mail, when you need it and all as well to be on these forums... =/ In which case, good luck with getting any help, or avoiding trouble. If you can't be bothered spending 5 minutes to get permission, the idea will fall apart, really. It's the only way I see this going.
                        __________________
                        Reply With Quote
                          #43    
                        Old June 27th, 2009 (6:57 PM).
                        Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
                        Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
                        Team Galactic Member
                           
                          Join Date: Dec 2008
                          Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
                          Age: 22
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Quiet
                          Posts: 48
                          Uh. I didn't tweak the character Bob. or bill. or whoever you are so stop that!
                          __________________
                          Reply With Quote
                            #44    
                          Old June 27th, 2009 (7:24 PM).
                          JX Valentine's Avatar
                          JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
                          Your aquatic overlord
                             
                            Join Date: May 2004
                            Location: Harassing Bill
                            Age: 29
                            Gender: Female
                            Nature: Bold
                            Posts: 3,280
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                            Uh. I didn't tweak the character Bob. or bill. or whoever you are so stop that!
                            You gave her different ears and put her tail in a different place. Otherwise, she's the same. So... yeah. Pretty much tweaking there.

                            Otherwise, bobandbill's pretty much right about permissions, and if it really is too much work for you to get an e-mail account and spend a minute writing a message to her (as in, no, you don't even need a dA account, as multiple people in this thread have said repeatedly that you can easily find her e-mail address), then maybe fanfiction, which is far more time-consuming and takes a lot more effort, isn't for you. =|

                            But given the fact that you have two other ideas -- which, honestly, I think are a lot more interesting -- an easy way to avoid the entire argument is by not pursuing this one at all. Still, just remember that, yes, in some cases, you do need to get permission because the internet is a very overdramatic place.
                            __________________
                            Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                            Need some light reading?
                            Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                            The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                            Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                            Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                            Reply With Quote
                              #45    
                            Old June 27th, 2009 (7:30 PM). Edited June 28th, 2009 by Swampoleongaurdian.
                            Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
                            Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
                            Team Galactic Member
                               
                              Join Date: Dec 2008
                              Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
                              Age: 22
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Quiet
                              Posts: 48
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
                              You gave her different ears and put her tail in a different place. Otherwise, she's the same. So... yeah. Pretty much tweaking there.

                              Otherwise, bobandbill's pretty much right about permissions, and if it really is too much work for you to get an e-mail account and spend a minute writing a message to her (as in, no, you don't even need a dA account, as multiple people in this thread have said repeatedly that you can easily find her e-mail address), then maybe fanfiction, which is far more time-consuming and takes a lot more effort, isn't for you. =|

                              But given the fact that you have two other ideas -- which, honestly, I think are a lot more interesting -- an easy way to avoid the entire argument is by not pursuing this one at all. Still, just remember that, yes, in some cases, you do need to get permission because the internet is a very overdramatic place.
                              I'm just not gonna do this *sigh* *Goes into a corner and sulks*
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                                #46    
                              Old June 27th, 2009 (7:52 PM).
                              Yuoaman's Avatar
                              Yuoaman Yuoaman is offline
                              Legen- wait for it...
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Jul 2005
                              Location: Ontario, Canada
                              Age: 25
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Relaxed
                              Posts: 4,675
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                              Yes, exactly, I'll just do it on another site, Preferably on one where it is likely very few people know about deviantart
                              Where in the world did you get that from Valentine's post?!

                              Spoiler:
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
                              You gave her different ears and put her tail in a different place. Otherwise, she's the same. So... yeah. Pretty much tweaking there.

                              Otherwise, bobandbill's pretty much right about permissions, and if it really is too much work for you to get an e-mail account and spend a minute writing a message to her (as in, no, you don't even need a dA account, as multiple people in this thread have said repeatedly that you can easily find her e-mail address), then maybe fanfiction, which is far more time-consuming and takes a lot more effort, isn't for you. =|

                              But given the fact that you have two other ideas -- which, honestly, I think are a lot more interesting -- an easy way to avoid the entire argument is by not pursuing this one at all. Still, just remember that, yes, in some cases, you do need to get permission because the internet is a very overdramatic place.


                              It doesn't matter where you post it, you still need permission from the person who created the original concept, you're just being immature and stubborn by refusing to take five minutes and attempt to contact this person.
                              __________________

                              Suit Up!
                              Awesome REGULAR MEMBER THAT OCCASIONALLY FREQUENTS FORUMS.

                              "pps new screenie" - No, really shut up yuoaman.

                              Haaave you read my LP?
                              Pokémon Quartz - The only one of mine really worth reading.

                              What about my [Un]Abridged series?
                              Aquaman the Unabridged Parody Series - Language warning.

                              The Playbook: My Anime List | Raptr | BackLoggery | Twitter


                              83% of this signature is empty space.

                              -dary!
                              Reply With Quote
                                #47    
                              Old June 27th, 2009 (8:58 PM). Edited June 27th, 2009 by Ineffable~.
                              Ineffable~'s Avatar
                              Ineffable~ Ineffable~ is offline
                              DAT SNARKITUDE
                              • Crystal Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Aug 2008
                              Location: Any ol' place really
                              Age: 23
                              Gender: Female
                              Nature: Naive
                              Posts: 2,742
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
                              you're so lazy as to not spend 5 mere minutes to do it. Five! Too much work? Sorry, but you just refuse to get it, and it's just plain laziness.
                              Not only that, I put links to everything he needs!

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                              Yes, exactly, I'll just do it on another site, Preferably on one where it is likely very few people know about deviantart
                              So, let me get this straight. You're not willing to take a few minutes, only going to pages I've linked for you, in order to do the right thing and get credit; however you are willing to take the time searching for another forums, only to take the same time to register that you would have to, were you to join Deviantart, all so you can instead do the wrong thing and not confront Sonicangel? (Not to mention, you will need an e-mail address to register for any forums existing on the Internet. There's no getting around it, so you'd be doing more work to do the wrong thing.) O.o That makes sense...
                              __________________

                              #077: Ponyta - The Fire Horse Pokémon
                              Fire ~ Field eggs
                              3'03" ~ 66.1lbs ~ 50/50

                              Its hooves are 10 times harder
                              than diamonds. It can trample
                              anything completely flat in moments.

                              Abilities: Run Away or Flash Fire or Flame Body
                              Moves: Growl, Flame Wheel, Stomp, Agility
                              Locations: Pokémon Mansion

                              Cry

                              Other names:

                              jp: ポニータ (Ponyta)
                              de: Ponita
                              fr: Ponyta
                              cn: 小火馬 (Xiǎohuǒmǎ)


                              Reply With Quote
                                #48    
                              Old June 28th, 2009 (4:12 AM).
                              Swampoleongaurdian's Avatar
                              Swampoleongaurdian Swampoleongaurdian is offline
                              Team Galactic Member
                                 
                                Join Date: Dec 2008
                                Location: Spear Pillar, rethinking my life
                                Age: 22
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Quiet
                                Posts: 48
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Lilbittygoat View Post
                                Not only that, I put links to everything he needs!

                                So, let me get this straight. You're not willing to take a few minutes, only going to pages I've linked for you, in order to do the right thing and get credit; however you are willing to take the time searching for another forums, only to take the same time to register that you would have to, were you to join Deviantart, all so you can instead do the wrong thing and not confront Sonicangel? (Not to mention, you will need an e-mail address to register for any forums existing on the Internet. There's no getting around it, so you'd be doing more work to do the wrong thing.) O.o That makes sense...
                                ...
                                >.<


                                The only reason I'm not going to do this idea is the feedback I'm getting so could you please stop posting.

                                And please don't comment about my reason it's just it sounds like the lot of you (besides Valentine) have been complaining
                                __________________
                                Reply With Quote
                                  #49    
                                Old June 28th, 2009 (5:34 AM). Edited June 28th, 2009 by I Laugh at your Misfortune!.
                                I Laugh at your Misfortune!'s Avatar
                                I Laugh at your Misfortune! I Laugh at your Misfortune! is offline
                                Normal is a synonym for boring
                                • Crystal Tier
                                 
                                Join Date: Jun 2008
                                Location: YOUR MOTHER! (aka: England)
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Quirky
                                Posts: 2,653
                                Oh for heaven's sake...Look, Swampoleongaurdian...I'm going to say this slowly, since you clearly didn't understand every time someone else said it:

                                1, Let's imagine that you do a little drawing of, say, a Pokemon trainer. Maybe give him a little bio. Because you're pleased that it looks quite nice, you post it on the internet so other people can admire it.

                                2, You then find out that someone else has basically stolen your character and put him into a story on another forum. Quite possibly, they've made him act in a way that you don't like (They might, for example have made him into a bit of a jerk, when you had him down as a quite nice guy).

                                3, You politely ask the writer of the story to either give you credit or take down the story.

                                4, They refuse, sulk and go and repost the story somewhere else after you report them to the forum staff.

                                Now, think, how would you feel? Probably pretty damn bad, right? That's EXACTLY how the creator of Dawn the Rabbit would feel. Its VERY easy to ask her and its not going to hurt you because, let's face it, she has no reason to say no.

                                Seriously, just imagine how you would feel if you were in her position :\
                                __________________

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #50    
                                Old June 28th, 2009 (7:37 AM).
                                JX Valentine's Avatar
                                JX Valentine JX Valentine is offline
                                Your aquatic overlord
                                   
                                  Join Date: May 2004
                                  Location: Harassing Bill
                                  Age: 29
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Nature: Bold
                                  Posts: 3,280
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Swampoleongaurdian View Post
                                  And please don't comment about my reason it's just it sounds like the lot of you (besides Valentine) have been complaining
                                  Swampoleon, I've been saying the exact same thing they've been saying. =| No permission = character theft = bad idea due to drama on the internet. That and getting permission = easy process that should take you less than a half an hour. And it really doesn't matter where you post this fic. It's still got the same basic problem.

                                  But to make things a bit clearer... *motions to Screw the rules's post* That. Couldn't have put it better myself, there.
                                  __________________
                                  Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

                                  Need some light reading?
                                  Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
                                  The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
                                  Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
                                  Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
                                  Reply With Quote
                                  Reply
                                  Quick Reply

                                  Sponsored Links
                                  Thread Tools

                                  Posting Rules
                                  You may not post new threads
                                  You may not post replies
                                  You may not post attachments
                                  You may not edit your posts

                                  BB code is On
                                  Smilies are On
                                  [IMG] code is On
                                  HTML code is Off

                                  Forum Jump


                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:10 PM.