• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I still say that's better than an old man blocking a tower until the 4th gym and trying to get a tan when it's raining. -_-
No, that was actually hilarious ;p

I'm planning to use a police force blocking the character on my alpha release.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Or you can take a leaf out of Game Freak's book and block it with large sleeping Pokémon. :)

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Well, it is creative, but the fact that you need an item for it kinda annoys me. If I was doing a Pokémon path blocker, I'd give them a generic Pokémon message/cry script since I'm too lazy to think of something more creative or script a woildbattle. ):

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
You can take a leaf out of the Hal book too, putting special walls where you need five star seals to open and then you have to go back and make the person playing rage rage rage rage rage.

Or you can have a Onett-style roadblock.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
I like strength puzzles because they're a classic and everyone knows how they work. Except when they're multilevel (boulder drops through hole, lands below) because then when the puzzle resets itself it's not so realistic. XD Actually, the way all those puzzles reset makes no sense at all. Maybe there's a magical Pokemon putting the boulders back when your back is turned.

The bike puzzles bug me. I hate having to cycle back to Mauville to get my bike exchanged just so I can reach an item. Even worse when it's in the Safari. There, you have to come prepared.

Secret bases don't really have a use, right? So...I don't really understand them. XD They're cute, I guess. The musical rugs are adorable.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I like all puzzles. It adds something that makes you think. In all Pokemon games, the main thing is "Must train them BETTORZ!", however, with added puzzles, you need to actually think of what to do, and what goes where, and past experiences sometimes instead of just "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! GET STRONGER!"

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2011
A bit off-topic, but because Fire-Red "supposedly" has more tools work with it and has more offsets know and stuff. Bandwagonning, chain reactions, and now nobody really bothers with LG.

But I could've sworn that Leaf Green and Fire Red are exactly the same just with different wild pokemon(which you can edit). >.>

Years
How do you feel about puzzles Nintendo made - Strength puzzles, Mach Bike puzzles, Acro Bike puzzles, Secret Bases,...?

I don't see anything wrong with using them, as long as they're done right. Hard to explain but there are plenty of stupid maps in the Rom hacking world, and usually puzzles such as this are attempted to be implemented- but it doesn't work. Although they don't necessarily need to be used as a puzzle- in my hack, I planned on needing Rock Climb. But I have no knowledge on changing what items actually do (I guess "scripting" them might be the right term to use?), so I'm using the Acro Bike puzzle, instead- it's pretty simple, just don't give the player the Acro Bike til necessary. All in all they can be used as a nice alternative, occasionally, don't you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back