• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Essence of Piracy (PG-13)

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2012
My first serious Fan Fic, Essence of Piracy is a story of a Pokemon Pirate crew and their adventures.

Here is a Character list for reference, since the Pokemon will usually be called by their names. It's a rather large pool of main characters so I really think the list will come in handy.

Sea King Pirates:
Spoiler:

1st Adventure- A Pirate's Life for Me

A dark, gloomy sky loomed over a distant island. The palm trees flailed in the strong wind, rain pelted the island's soft soil. Near the entrance of the island was a large ship anchored, getting beaten down by fearsome waves.

A small fire lit a small cave where 5 Pokemon were taking refuge from the storm which surrounded them overhead. Despite the gloomy situation outside, the Pokémon in the cave seemed rather festive. One of the Pokémon held a mug, filled to the brim with a light brown, almost yellow substance.

"Well, when do we set out again?" asked one of the Pokémon. The Pokémon was an Exploud, impatiently beating on the ground. "We'll wait an hour or so after the storm clears to make sure." Said another Pokémon, this one a Dusclops leaning on the rocky walls of the cave, looking outside where the winds shook trees and the rain poured down like thousands of needles piercing into the ground.

"The funny thing is..." started a third Pokémon, this one a Lairon "...Is that there was no sign of a storm earlier. It just sorta sneaked up on us, right Higs?" said the Lairon looking over to a Scyther.

"Whaaat? You think this could be a bad sign? We've been sailing for such a long time and nothing bad has happened to us yet! I reckon there's someone up there looking out for us!" laughed the Scyther reaching down and impaling an Oran Berry which he proceeded to bite into, its juices squirting out into the flame.

"I wouldn't be so sure just yet" replied the Dusclops with a hint of uncertainty in his voice. He looked outside the cave once more than began walking towards the group. "Don't eat all the berries, Higs we migh-". He suddenly stopped talking, falling down to the ground with a thump. Just as suddenly as that happened, the fire disintegrated; it was as though a burst of wind flew into the room and put it out, but no such breeze was felt. The 4 Pokémon in the cave were now in pitch dark, the treacherous storm outside impeding any light from entering the cave.

The final Pokémon rose, a large Crawdaunt, claws opening ready to retaliate. "Who dares enter my Hideout?" growled the Pokémon. "Ye better show yourself, you don't know who you're messing with…" he said stepping forwards, towards the cave entrance.

Suddenly a lightning bolt raged from the sky, illuminating the cave entrance for a second. You could make various shadowy figures standing at the entrance; there was obviously more than one intruder in this 'Hideout'.

Scyther jumped in front of Crawdaunt, spreading its scythe-like arms.

"Boss, I'll take them on!" he assured, dashing at the foes ahead. It was hard to see anything in the darkness that was the cave but Scyther knew one thing; the enemy was dead ahead.
Another flash of lightning erupted in the sky, once again illuminating the cave entrance once more.

"Oof!" grunted Scyther falling to the ground, a figure standing over him. The cave was dark once more. The Pokémon in the hideout were suddenly not as confident backing up to the very back of the cave. Scyther lay in a pool of his own blood; no one was sure what happened.

"What's the matter?" said a female voice, presumably the figure looming over Scyther. "I thought you people were supposed to be brave and fearless."

The cave was illuminated, this time not by a lightning flash but a small orb which appeared right in front of the mysterious figure. "Hyper Beam…" whispered the voice, sending out a massive beam from the orb. It collided with Exploud, sending him flying into the back of the cave; rocks cracked from the cave roof and dropped on him, knocking him out instantly. "Why you…" growled Lairon as it charged, only to be hit by an orb of fire which seemed to come from the cave entrance. The orb hit him hard, exploding into flames, which surrounded him; illuminating the cave ever so lightly as it ran into the side of the cave, knocking itself out and putting out the flames.

"You know what we want…" said the female voice, softly and calmly. "You don't have to die here, you know. We just want the Sea back," stated the voice, the figure advancing down on the remaining Pokémon, Crawdaunt.

"…Bwahahah!" roared Crawdaunt. Lightning flashed outside again, Crawdaunt's face was illuminated you could see fearlessness in his eyes, a killing intent, but also a look of thrill.

"You really don't know who you're messing with…" he said in a low, threatening voice. "I worked hard…I fought hard. You're not taking my treasure that easy. Many have tried… many have died!" laughed Crawdaunt while smashing his claw into the ground, the ground cracked slightly, the cave rumbled. Crawdaunt dashed forwards, claw raised. "Have it your way." Whispered the Pokémon…

"Adventure Log: Entry 1

1) All men shall receive equal shares of the loot, with the captain earning 2 shares while the Mates, Shipwright, Boatswain, and Sniper shall earn one and a half share and all other member receiving 1 and one fourth shares when it comes to treasures found on crew-wide explorations.

2) Any man may formally quit the crew, but running away without prior consent or withholding crucial information from the crew shall be dealt with punishment.

3) If any man is to steal an item from the crew he or she will be punished.

4) Every man has a vote in affairs of moment; has equal title to the fresh provisions, or strong liquors, at any time seized, and may use them at pleasure, unless a scarcity (not an uncommon thing among them) makes it necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

5) A Pirate shall always have his items readied and be prepared for battle at any given time

6) When dealing with Jobs and Guild Missions a portion of the loot shall go to the guild, while any items earned or found while exploring may be awarded to the group that took part in the Mission…

These are some of the rules aboard Captain Near's ship. At first thought I found these rules harsh, but they are there to keep the crew safe from conflict, and in retrospect they are pretty fair. This is only my third day in the Sea King Pirate's Ship, the Sea Walker but I'm already starting to feel right at home. The crew is incredible! I've took a peak at Wallace's Adventure log, they say he was the first crew mate to join the crew, and WOW. They have been through some tough situations! Hell yes, this sounds incredible! I've always dreamed of a life of adventure… a life of fighting! And now...I'm a pirate…About damn time! My first mission with the crew is tomorrow, I'm teamed up with Don, he's pretty friendly, albeit weird, but that shouldn't be a problem. Man, I'm excited…

Cross of the Sea King Pirates, July 2."

Cross closed his adventure log with a look of anxiousness and satisfaction in his face. Satisfaction because he had successfully been on the ship for 3 days and already found a Mission and anxious because the mission was tomorrow morning. It was getting late, around 10 PM where most pirates had gotten to sleep for they would have to wake up early and begin the early morning sailing routine.
Cross is the bold type, brave and daring. He's the latest addition to the crew. He was a troubled child, fighting and stealing from the other kids. He had trouble making friends but he would always protect them as much as he could from the fear of losing them.

Cross loves fighting and is overall a fun guy. He's laid back and carefree, often lazy and selfish. He loves being a Pirate and doing missions to help the Guild. Fighting wise he's already one of the strongest in the crew. He seems to have a natural talent when it comes to that. His draw back is his horrible sense of direction making it tough for him to Explore anywhere alone.
Cross was the only one up in the male sleeping quarters. His fellow crew mates were already sleeping in hammocks and cushions on the floor.
Cross sighed. Was he the only one who was anxious? 'How can none of them be worried about their jobs tomorrow? What if something went terribly wrong…' thought Cross.

The thing is Cross was usually a very brave, adventurous Pokémon. Fighting and adventuring was what he lived for, a Pokémon made to feel the taste of freedom, a Pokémon made to become a Pirate.
Feelings of anxiousness and doubt were alien to him; he had never felt them before. Not when making the life changing decision to join the Sea King Pirates, not when faced up against rough challenges as a kid. He was used to handling everything in stride.

No matter how much he tried, Cross couldn't go to bed. Seconds turned minutes. Minutes turned to hours. Fellow Pirates were snoring in a peaceful sleep. "Arrgh…What kind of Pirate am I!?" Cross said to himself in despair. He swung off his hammock almost bumping into Sakotsu the Nuzleaf.

Sakotsu is a Sharpshooter; he handles items with such expertise that most would be shocked. Accurate and fast, his abilities with orbs, berries, weapons, and his favorite, seeds are top notch. He's not the strongest; he joined the Crew as its 3rd member, not counting the founding 3. Sakotsu is sort of cocky, but he's also friendly in an older brother that picks on you but still loves you kind of way. If his fellow crew mates need assistance, he'll most likely help. He's eager to explore and fight. The captain Near had recruited him after he met Sakotsu in the Mushroom Woods. Nuzleaf was practicing in the woods the day he saved Near and Wallace from a Dustox attack from behind using his long ranged items. You can find him training his accuracy or messing with items in the ship's training deck.

Cross needed some fresh air. What he truly needed was someone to talk to, but who would be up this late.
Cross trudged through the ship's corridors, passing multiple rooms. From sleeping quarters to kitchens, even training rooms; the Sea Walker was a large ship that could offer you anything a usual Guild would, but it had one advantage; it was a ship. It was in essence a moving Guild, usually moving from region to region and camping there while its members explored and took on jobs. The ship itself was a triple layered Caravel- based boat. 2 masts rectangular masts use wind power to move this light and fast moving ship. The hull is painted blue with 3 green lines going from one side to the other, separated by a good 2-3 meters. The Sea Walker's figure head stretched from the bottom of the Hull to the stem of the ship. The figure head looked like a Lapras, the neck being the stem of the ship. On each side were paddlewheels which were used to speed the boat up to extraordinary speeds.

Cross walked out into the deck, the cool air hitting his face. He smiled, this was the life he'd dreamed for, yet…why did he feel so bad? No! He shouldn't think like that! He's a Pirate now. Still…
Cross had wandered to the ship's bow. He didn't quite know what he was doing but he just had to relax, sleeping wasn't really an option at the moment. He sat down on a chair that was left out on the deck.
"The sky sure is starry tonight, huh?" said a voice next to Heracross. It was rough and cool, like the voice of someone who seemed to live a life full of adventure, someone who had stories to tell.

Cross leapt out of his seat, throwing his arms out into a fighting stance. He squinted to see a red zigzag line floating in the air. "Captain? Is that you?"

Near melted into sight, his features regaining their natural green color. He raised his head with a hearty chuckle. He brought his head down and looked Cross in the eye. His eyes gleaming with fierceness.
Near is the captain of the Sea King Pirates. He puts on a tough attitude when dealing with other guilds, but as he calls it 'It's just another one of my Camouflage!' He loves adventures and treasures, just like anyone in the guild. He's actually friendly to people in the guild and loves partying and drinking. He's supposedly one of the best explorers of his time, he fights with incredible trickery and resourcefulness, and that's added to his incredible fighting skills. He can either be found on the ship's bow or in his Captain's quarters. He might also be camouflaged around the ship, spying on crew mates and playing pranks on them

Cross admired Near for multiple reasons. The way he talked, the way he fought. It seemed like he did not falter no matter what he was doing. He could be silly sometimes but he would die to save his crew, he could go to hell and back for them.

"What are ye doing up this late, Cross?" inquired Near raising an eyebrow. His voice seemed calm yet Cross couldn't help but feel a chill down his spine.

Truth be told Near didn't look all too strong, but the tales would tell incredible stories about this Pirate captain, how he, Darius, and Sally formed an Exploration group that took the world by storm. Soon after their first exploits they became Pirates and formed one of the only pirate crews left in the world and the only Pirate Guild at the same time.

Near tried to stay on the good side of the law, but everyone in this crew was a pirate at heart and weren't afraid to steer away from what the world considered to be 'adequate behavior.' They drank, they partied, they fought, they stole, and they adventured.

"Oh! Sorry Captain!" started Cross straightening up with a salute, "I just can't get any sleep!"
Near chuckled to himself, shaking his head. "Don't worry, I'm not angry," assured Near, wagging his finger. "What bothers you, newbie?"

Cross sighed, scratching his horn, "Well. I'm worried about tomorrow. I really don't want to let the crew down. I've never had too many friends and the short time I've been here I've grown to like everyone. What if I fail to bring back the treasure? What if my partner will get hurt? You guys will probably not see me fit to be a Sea King…" Cross was cut off by Near shooting him a scary glare.

"Oh, if you keep talking like that you might as well not be a pirate!" growled Near in an irritated voice. This was the first time Cross had ever seen Near be even remotely angry. "You're a Sea King Pirate now, Son! You better not be sayin' this **** because your one of us. Don't ever think your not good enough, mate!" he said with a devilish grin "We're friends here, all searching for one thing; Freedom! You just gotta worry on protecting your friends, savvy?"

Cross was shocked at first but his mouth slowly curled into a smile. "Aye Aye Captain." He said. He would always be a Sea King Pirate. But even though he would always be accepted, it didn't mean he could fail them. He had to protect his friends

'We're friends here, all searching for one thing; Freedom! You just gotta worry on protecting your friends, savvy?'

"I'll make that mission a success. You can count it." assured Cross with a fierce yell. Near grinned at the response.

"That's more like it."

Cross was sure he could handle any situation when exploring, but deep down inside the fear of losing a crew mate was still present. Could he be strong enough to protect those in need? A Pirate's life was teeming with danger, especially when exploring foreign lands. Little did Cross know that this mission was only his first test of will and resolve to protect those who depend on the inexperienced pirate.

Last edited:

PingPongYeti

Genius
Years
People, just so you know, I was the editor for this. I am as much to blame for any errors as the author himself, so feel free to heap scorn on me for any nitpicky things you find!

Back