The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Gaming Central
Pokémon nicknames

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén

Old 5 Days Ago (9:24 AM).

Hi everyone, I'm wondering -- what do you name your Pokémon?

This is what I've named my ORAS team:

Sceptile - Silvanus (Named after the Roman god who is the deity of woods and fields. It is Latin for 'of the woods' which is fitting because wild Sceptiles live in the woods.)
Charizard - Kasai (Japanese for 'fire'. One of my less creative names.)
Altaria - Q-Tip (Don't ask.)
Kyogre - Kyogre (I tend not to name legendary and mythical Pokémon, because they're special. I especially didn't name Kyogre, because it would ruin his legend.)
Gardevoir - Saphira (A variation of "sapphire". My Gardevoir is shiny, so her hair is blue. It's quite fitting.)
Braviary - Apollo (In Animal Crossing, there's an eagle called Apollo. Enough said.)

They aren't the most creative names in the world, but they're pretty fun still. What do you think of them?

I can't wait to see your names too! :)

~SmtSR

Relevant Advertising!

Old 5 Days Ago (1:14 PM).
B-A-N-A-N-A-S

Nature: Adamant
I like your nicknames :)

I tend to nickname my Pokemon things which relate to them but aren't completely obvious if you get what I mean. For example, I named a Slowbro mercury (a type of poison) for the poison that Shellder's puts in it and stuff like that.
Old 5 Days Ago (4:17 PM).

I tend to vary between not naming them, naming them after pop-culture characters, and going full Bulbapedia nerd and using part or all of their Japanese names. Some times I do a run with my favourite Pokémon Adventures character's team and I'll name them all appropriately then.

For example the two games i've played this year are LeafGreen (no nicknames) and Emerald. All my pokémon in Emerald use part of their Japanese names e.g. Saku (Salamence), Amo (Blaziken) and Karo (Milotic). Yeah that's right, I actually caught a Milotic *drops mic* *thunderous applause*

But I happened to walk past a poster for Finding Dory one day, and now my Pelipper is named Nigel, after the pelican in Finding Nemo.
Old 5 Days Ago (6:43 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
But I happened to walk past a poster for Finding Dory one day, and now my Pelipper is named Nigel, after the pelican in Finding Nemo.
You just inspired me to catch a Sharpedo and name it Bruce.
Old 5 Days Ago (6:57 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmtSR View Post
You just inspired me to catch a Sharpedo and name it Bruce. :P
Great shout. I thought about calling my Horsea Sheldon but it instantly reminded me of The Big Bang Theory so never happening.

Also, just decided my first name for my next HeartGold or Platinum team - Groot. No prizes for guessing his species.
Old 5 Days Ago (7:42 PM).
Molly, you are so adorable! ♥

I tend to nickname certain Pokémon in such a way as to reference pop culture. Among those nicknames are:
  • Bellsprout: Ma Bell (As in the US telephone monopoly that was broken up in 1984.)
  • Ponyta/Rapidash: Mr. Ed (As in the talking horse that starred in his eponymous sitcom in the 1960s.)
  • Popplio: Salty (When the Sun/Moon water starter was first revealed, it struck me as somewhat resembling Salty the Seal from Disney's classic Mickey Mouse theatrical shorts.)
  • Pikipek: Woody (As in Woody Woodpecker.)
Old 4 Days Ago (6:28 AM).
Spectre Agent

Nature: Serious
When it comes to nicknames I have used, here are the nicknames I have used for the leaders of each of my Pokemon teams:

Delta the Blastoise (Leader of my Star Wars Republic Commando Squads team in Blue)(reference: Delta Squad from Star Wars Republic Commando)
Galvatron the Feraligatr (Leader of my Decepticons team in Soul Silver)(reference: G1 Galvatron from Transformers)
Revan the Swampert (Leader of my Star Wars Sith Lords team in Sapphire)(reference: Revan from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic)
Napoleon the Empoleon (Leader of my World Leaders team in Platinum)(reference: Napoleon Bonaparte)
Durendal the Samurott (Leader of my Legendary Weapons team in White)(reference: Durendal from the Song of Roland)
John Rambo the Samurott (Leader of my Anti-Heroes team in White 2)(reference: John Rambo from the Rambo movies)
Enterprise the Greninja (Leader of my World War II Ships team in X)(reference: American aircraft carrier Enterprise CV-6)
Luke the Swampert (Leader of my Star Wars Jedi team in Alpha Sapphire)(reference: Luke Skywalker)
Garland the Blastoise (Leader of my Final Fantasy Villains team in Blue [eShop version])(reference: Garland from Final Fantasy I)
Zebes the Primarina (Leader of my Metroid Series Planets team in Moon)(reference: the planet Zebes from the Metroid series)

OSO STRONG

#TeamPopplio
Old 4 Days Ago (8:19 PM).
oh god is she still drunk
DSC

Nature: Quirky
i usually just smash two words that describe the pokemon together and make a username-style name.
Old 2 Days Ago (4:45 PM).

I've gone all-out on the nicknames for my Curse Munchlax I just hatched on my new Platinum save. Was going to name him "Katow-Jo" after the bear in Anchorman, but then decided I'd save that for an Ursaring.

A couple of minutes of soul-searching later and I hit upon it: "Huell". Fat guy, sleeps a lot, packs a punch...there is literally no better character to name a Munchlax / Snorlax after.
Old 2 Days Ago (6:40 PM).
Wynaut

When I nickname my Pokemon, I just take the first part of the Pokemon's name and at a y to it.
Catty the Caterpie
Wurmy: Wurmple
Shuppy: Shuppet
Old 1 Day Ago (1:19 PM). Edited 20 Hours Ago by HeroLinik.
Don't mess with me, I'm the Hero of Time!

Nature: Jolly
I don't really nickname that much, but I only really nickname my competitive Pokemon. Here are all the nicknames that I've given so far in Moon, and I tend to go for puns or something else funny:

Gumshoos: Donald Trump
Oranguru: Harambe
Bruxish: Brexit
Froslass: Let it Ghost
Lunala: GetInTheBag!
Solgaleo: I'm Your SUN
Talonflame: Bravest Bird
Garchomp: Sharknado
Rotom-W: WashingtomDC
Scizor: RockPaper
Celesteela: ImARocketMan
Toxapex: Fuhrerbunker
Mimikyu: JOHN CENA!
Alolan Ninetales: Minus 9tales
Tapu Koko: Top Kek
Chansey: Stayin Alive
Old 21 Hours Ago (6:59 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroLinik View Post
Okay that one was really funny
Old 19 Hours Ago (8:33 AM).
oh god is she still drunk
DSC

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroLinik View Post
I don't really nickname that much, but I only really nickname my competitive Pokemon. Here are all the nicknames that I've given so far in Moon, and I tend to go for puns or something else funny:

Gumshoos: Donald Trump
Oranguru: Harambe
Bruxish: Brexit
Froslass: Let it Ghost
Lunala: GetInTheBag!
Solgaleo: I'm Your SUN
Talonflame: Bravest Bird
Garchomp: Sharknado
Rotom-W: WashingtomDC
Scizor: RockPaper
Celesteela: ImARocketMan
Toxapex: Fuhrerbunker
Mimikyu: JOHN CENA!
Tapu Koko: Top Kek
Chansey: Stayin Alive
admittedly i think my tapu koko was also top kek.
"bruxish: brexit" rofl
Old 19 Hours Ago (8:50 AM).
Back and ready to babble!

Nature: Jolly
I'm a nickname fanatic in Pokemon. I won't use a Pokemon in most situations if it doesn't have a name (makes trading tricky).

I love giving nicknamed Pokemon away via WonderTrade, and I've sent A LOT of them... if you've gotten one with a weird name over WonderTrade and the OT was "Snowene" or "Snowdrop" it was mine! :D

My Gen 7 team names are: Glitter the Primarina, Boa the Bruxish, Gossamer the Wigglytuff, Chiffon the Salazzle, Taupe the Piloswine, and Starlight the Ledian. It's an all-female team!

Sponsored Links