The PokéCommunity Forums
The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon: General Discussions > Pokémon Gaming Central
Weird, Interesting, and Funny Pokedex Entries

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old December 11th, 2016 (6:48 PM).
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 43,136
With the release of Pokemon Sun & Moon, Pokedex entries have become weirder than ever before, but even before then we've had our fair share of Pokedex entries that stuck out at us. These included entries such as ones that don't match up with a Pokemon's stats or movepool, weird stuff that a Pokemon does, and some that just outright creeped us out.

That's why this thread is to share all those Pokedex entries you found stuck out the most at you - mention the game in question if there's one in particular, and also share thoughts on what others think about Pokedex entries!
__________________
Going away for a while.
Reply With Quote

Relevant Advertising!

  #2    
Old December 12th, 2016 (12:35 AM).
Zapmolticuno's Avatar
Zapmolticuno Zapmolticuno is offline
Not to be confused with Zapmolcuno
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Life isn't a location
Age: 13
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,115
I think the strange one here is Christo...I mean Bewear's Pokedex entry.That thing love its companion so much a hug sent him to heaven.I'd love to have one.

:hug:
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (9:20 AM).
colours's Avatar
colours colours is offline
→ let's be infinite
PokéCommunity Daily Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 27,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alolan Raticate Moon Dex entry
This gourmet Pokémon is particular about the taste and freshness of its food. Restaurants where Raticate live have a good reputation.
The only time where having a rat live in your restaurant is a good thing.
__________________
infinite colours

we're living limitless

Reply With Quote
  #4    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (7:21 PM).
Aquacorde's Avatar
Aquacorde Aquacorde is offline
-- don't you dare look back
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Posts: 10,126
honestly most of the sunmoon dex entries have taken it up to eleven in terms of hilarity and weirdness
__________________
imagine all that you could be!
Reply With Quote
  #5    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (4:20 AM).
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 43,136
I figured it should be time to actually share Dex entries for real. One I'd love to start with is Lampent.

White / Y / Alpha Sapphire: It arrives near the moment of death and steals spirit from the body.

B2W2 / X / Omega Ruby: The spirits it absorbs fuel its baleful fire. It hangs around hospitals waiting for people to pass on.

You do have to admit the mention of references to death is grim. Sun & Moon, as mentioned is known for its dark and grim Pokedex entries but I feel this was really where Game Freak were going into dark territory.
__________________
Going away for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #6    
Old 4 Weeks Ago (10:22 AM).
colours's Avatar
colours colours is offline
→ let's be infinite
PokéCommunity Daily Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 27,316
Quote:
M-Aerodactyl's Moon entry]When it Mega Evolves, it becomes more vicious than ever before. Some say that’s because its excess of power is causing it pain.
Poor Aerodactyl... A lot of the dex entries with Megas are pretty dark. .-.
__________________
infinite colours

we're living limitless

Reply With Quote
  #7    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (3:49 PM).
thedestinedblade's Avatar
thedestinedblade thedestinedblade is offline
Radiant Cool Boy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: breathing in the sun (Miami, FL)
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Posts: 2,613
Lot of weird ones in S/M. I'm almost inclined to think it's just Rotom trolling at times. A few favorites:

Primeape (Sun): It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.

Gengar (Sun): Should you feel yourself attacked by a sudden chill, it is evidence of an approaching Gengar. There is no escaping it. Give up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:17 PM).
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 43,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedestinedblade View Post
Primeape (Sun): It has been known to become so angry that it dies as a result. Its face looks peaceful in death, however.
That one has to be a standout because it is a notable example of S/M's extremely grim Pokedex entries. I was saying to myself "what were Game Freak smoking" when they came up with this one, especially since I hate death being portrayed in a positive light like what the Dex entry said.
__________________
Going away for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #9    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:25 PM).
thedestinedblade's Avatar
thedestinedblade thedestinedblade is offline
Radiant Cool Boy
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: breathing in the sun (Miami, FL)
Gender: Male
Nature: Mild
Posts: 2,613
A lot of entries also refer to certain pokemon feeding on said pokemon. Like Weavile feeding on Vulpix and Sandshrew for example. I don't think it was ever mentioned as much as it is in Sun/Moon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (9:14 PM).
Aisu's Avatar
Aisu Aisu is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: America
Nature: Adamant
Posts: 1,545
"One day a boy woke up and was an Kadabra." I may be paraphrasing a little. It's so wtf like you not just gon speed past that like you didn't just say what you just said.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:10 PM).
Swagroar Swagroar is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 6,131
Send a message via Skype™ to Swagroar
"When three Magnemite link together, their brains also become one. They do not become three times more intelligent." - Magneton in Sun.

Wow, Rotom, way to insult your electric brethren right there. :P
__________________
Azurilland - (The Southern Island) | Twitter
Wedlocke Challenge | Wonderlocke Challenge | Generation V Fan Club
Reply With Quote
  #12    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (1:11 AM).
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 43,136
Ones I definitely have to mention are ones that totally don't match up with a Pokemon's stats, like these ones here.

Escavalier (Black): They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely.

Vikavolt (Sun): It zips around, on sharp lookout for an opening. It concentrates electrical energy within its large jaws and uses it to zap its enemies.

Game Freak, did you forget how slow these Pokemon actually were?
__________________
Going away for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #13    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:14 AM).
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is online now
artsy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 17,970
Quote:
They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely.
Accelgor's Pokédex entry confuses me for the fact that it only has a base stat Speed of 20??

Quote:
It enwraps its prey in its hair like arms. It sings joyfully as it observes the suffering of its prey.
Gourgeist is a great Pokémon but the Pokédex entry in Y is creepy af.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:48 AM).
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 43,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Accelgor's Pokédex entry confuses me for the fact that it only has a base stat Speed of 20??
Lol... Accelgor is 145 base Speed. You were thinking of Escavalier.

Oh well, here's some that suggest a Pokemon would learn a certain move but they don't.

Scrafty (Black): Groups of them beat up anything that enter their territory. Each can spit acidic liquid from its mouth.

Uh, it doesn't learn Beat Up.

Ampharos (Gold/LG/HG/X/Y) The tip of its tail shines brightly. In the olden days, people sent signals using the tail's light.

Ampharos (Silver/FR/SS) The bright light on its tail can be seen far away. It has been treasured since ancient times as a beacon.

And yet the reason why you can't use Tail Glow is because the move is actually "Firefly Light".

Umbreon (Moon): With its black fur, it blends into the darkness. It bides its time, and when prey appears, this Pokémon goes for its throat, and then eats it.

Eeek! I know 7th Gen has creepy ones, but this one is outright cannibalism.
__________________
Going away for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #15    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:53 AM).
Blue's Avatar
Blue Blue is online now
artsy
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Posts: 17,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikamaru View Post
Lol... Accelgor is 145 base Speed. You were thinking of Escavalier.
I always get those two names mixed up, but yes. Definitely doesn't match up though.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (7:59 AM).
Hikamaru Hikamaru is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 43,136
Tsareena (Moon): A Pokémon known for the beauty of its well-shaped legs, it sometimes appears as a mascot in advertisements for beauty salons.

Tsareena (Sun): Its long, striking legs aren't just for show but to be used to kick with skill. In victory, it shows off by kicking the defeated, laughing boisterously.

A clear sign Game Freak want you to look at those legs, because she's got dem legs.

Primarina (Moon): Its singing voice is its chief weapon in battle. This Pokémon's Trainer must prioritize the daily maintenance of its throat at all costs.

So basically, losing your voice also means losing the ability to fight. Poor thing.
__________________
Going away for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #17    
Old 3 Weeks Ago (4:22 PM).
Rainbow's Avatar
Rainbow Rainbow is offline
DSC
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: wormhole
Age: 18
Gender: Other
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 3,592
I actually really like a lot of the Gen 7 ones because they give the impression of there being an actual Pokémon ecosystem + predator/prey chain, which was something that has never really been brought up before as far as I know.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18    
Old 1 Day Ago (1:20 PM).
colours's Avatar
colours colours is offline
→ let's be infinite
PokéCommunity Daily Staff
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: Female
Nature: Quiet
Posts: 27,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
I actually really like a lot of the Gen 7 ones because they give the impression of there being an actual Pokémon ecosystem + predator/prey chain, which was something that has never really been brought up before as far as I know.
Talonflame Sun Pokedex Entry:

Quote:
Its favorite foods are Wingull and Pikipek. It attacks with a powerful kick and grasps them firmly in its talons.
There's plently more, but I definitely agree on your point on how interesting predator/prey relationships are brought to light this generation. :o
__________________
infinite colours

we're living limitless

Reply With Quote
  #19    
Old 14 Hours Ago (1:30 AM).
Aurelion Sol's Avatar
Aurelion Sol Aurelion Sol is offline
Last Shadow
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Age: 26
Gender: Other
Nature: Docile
Posts: 1,324
Moon Pokedex Entry for Palossand

Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.
I find Palo pokedex is just creepiest and scary.. makes me goosebumps

Kadabra: It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra.

It remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier. (Silver Entry)
Now, go to sleep..
__________________

♥Pair: Starrywindy♥
Reply With Quote
  #20    
Old 13 Hours Ago (2:34 AM).
Rainbow's Avatar
Rainbow Rainbow is offline
DSC
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: wormhole
Age: 18
Gender: Other
Nature: Quirky
Posts: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelion Sol View Post
Moon Pokedex Entry for Palossand

Buried beneath the castle are masses of dried-up bones from those whose vitality it has drained.
I find Palo pokedex is just creepiest and scary.. makes me goosebumps

Kadabra: It happened one morning - a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra.

It remembers every dream it eats. It rarely eats the dreams of adults because children's are much tastier. (Silver Entry)
Now, go to sleep..
whoa... i forgot about those ahaha. the creepy ones are some of my favorites
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:49 PM.