• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Deeds of Darkness

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Yes, the prank call scene was the most enjoyable to write :P It's actually based off of a real prank voicemail thing that my friend showed me.

Just one minor thing, though. The girls didn't do anything else but watch TV right after the power is back on? Surely they could just do a battle or two in the backyard. I probably miss something though, like always. ^^;
Nah, it's not your fault. The chapter starts in the middle of the girls' day, so they *supposedly* did everything they wanted to before going to the TV as a last resort to kill time. And then, Rena gets one of her ideas :)

Glad you liked the chapter! The next one will take me about a week to do. Just the usual time span. See you next chapter!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Well, looks we have another good chapter on our hands. The scene at the TV Station was an interesting little excursion, and actually gave the girls a reason to head to Jubilife this time :P And more than last time, it shows Rena's impulsiveness and tendency to get the girls in trouble. But the prank caller guy totally took me by surprise in an lmao sort of way. Leave it to Rena to know somebody like that :P

And this Claire person discussing the connection between Darkrai and the tornado... methinks the mere fact that Sadie and Rena overheard that is going to link them somehow with Darkrai... just my gut feeling ;)

Now the girls are headed home in the back of a police car... betcha Sadie's mom would freak out if she happened to be home when they arrived :P But I kinda have an idea of what happens, so I won't spoil :P

Again, the addition of the TV station adds a lot to their little trip to Jubilife. And of course, now they're in the back of a police car...

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Thanks for reviewing, LeSabre! Glad you liked the chapter! And thanks for not spoiling :P You still have the patience to reread my fic even though you know most of what happens.

Chapter 4 will be coming... immediately.

CHAPTER 4

[FONT=Georgia, serif]As time passed, the haze clouding Dalton's vision receded. As he slowly drifted into consciousness, he became aware of two distinct voices. He could not tell where they were, or who they belonged to. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Is he awake yet?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]No, he's still asleep..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]They were muffled, as if they were separated from him by a wall of glass. Dalton could barely differentiate between them. There was a moment's pause in the conversation, then the deeper voice spoke.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm telling you, he's been asleep for too long. We should wake him now."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]And disturb his peaceful rest? Hmmm... no, we should give him more time to heal."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Heal what, exactly? All he had was a sprain in his wrist and some bruising! He didn't need that strong of a medication..." At this, Dalton suddenly became aware of a series of dull pains across his body. Most of the pain was gathered in his head, throbbing in unison with his pulse. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Argh..." an involuntary groan escaped him as he struggled for control of his eyes.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Look Abraham, he's waking up! He's waking up!" said the first voice. The second man, Abraham, did not respond, but Dalton thought he heard him mumbling in the distance. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A white room slowly came into focus as he opened his eyes. He was evidently lying on a bed, but most of his surroundings were still blurry. Dalton blinked away the tears, and he finally identified the source of the voices. The man who stood at his bedside was tall, thin, and smiling. His frizzy black hair stuck out in strands from underneath his white hat, and green eyes shimmered behind his glasses. According to his name tag, this was Dr. Christopher Sanchez. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The second man, Abraham, sat in a chair on the other side of the room, looking utterly bored with his life. He was plump and balding, and his gaze remained focused on the shimmering object he was flipping around in his hands. In about five steps, he crossed the room to where Dalton was. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]What's your name?" he asked simply. His voice was rather deep, and held a constant tone of sarcasm.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton Rogers."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]All right. You can call me Abraham. His name is Dr. Christopher Sanchez." [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]But, you can call me Dr. Christopher, Chris, anything will do," Dr. Christopher said merrily. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]All Dalton could do was nod. His gaze fell on the object Abraham was holding.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]What's that? Abraham?" [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Abraham snorted. "You should know. It was in your pocket."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]My pocket?" Dalton repeated in disbelief. "I've never seen that thing before in my life!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Abraham was about to reply, but Dr. Christopher cut in. "Neither do I! But I must say... it looks like something that would be found in the Oreburgh Mine. Probably a type of new crystal that shimmers like water! I must say, where did you find it?" He took the object into his hands, and have it a tap. The resulting peal was clear and loud.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Like I said, I don't know!" Dalton sighed. "It wasn't there before... oh my God, the Darkrai attack! Am I the only one who made it out? Did you get anyone else from my squad?" Dalton felt a rush of excitement as he sat up, then a sudden pain in his back forced him to lie back down.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dr. Christopher's smile faded for a moment. "Sadly, no. You were the only one the police found when they were at the scene. They thought you were dead, too, but I guess they were wrong! You started mumbling in your sleep, and they brought you here."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Oh." Dalton sank back into his pillow, the last bits of hope draining away. Dr. Christopher patted his shoulder reassuringly. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Don't worry, we'll take good care of you! You're not too bad off for someone who survived an ambush like that. All you have is some bruising and a sprained wrist. We took the liberty of wrapping it in a cast for you, but you might want to be careful with that hand."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The doctor's reassuring comments did nothing to help Dalton, however. His mind was still spinning with the details of his mysterious survival. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What happened to the rest of the squad? Surely they couldn't have all died. Where are Bret and Harvey? Dalton couldn't help but wonder. Maybe they were taken to a different hospital, and they were found earlier than I was... yeah. Dalton decided to settle on this one happy thought.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Now all I need to worry about is what I'll do when I get out of here...[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Excuse me, Doctors? Where exactly am I right now?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]It was Abraham who answered this time. "You're in the Oreburgh Central Hospital, in Oreburgh City. And he's the doctor, not me. I'm his intern." He did not seem too proud of this.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Aww, no need to be a party pooper, Abraham. Sometimes I wish I were still an intern at the Sunyshore Main. Good times, good times..." they all stood in silence for a moment, then Dr. Christopher seemed to snap out of a long daydream. "All right! Let's get down to business! Are you hungry Dalton?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton shook his head, pain shooting through his neck. "No, not hungry. Water would be great, though."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Alrighty then! Abraham, bring him some water while I fill out these forms." Dr. Christopher grabbed a clipboard on a nearby counter and began writing furiously. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Abraham took a few steps towards the door, then stopped to look over his shoulder. "Do you want it, Dalton?" he asked, holding up the strange object. It glimmered under the fluorescent lighting. "I can throw it away for you if you want."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton considered it for a moment, but decided to keep it. After Abraham left the room, Dalton found himself unable to put it down. It was shaped like the crescent moon, and was thin as paper. Depending on how it was angled to the light, it would alter between shades of pink, soft yellow, blue, and green. He had never seen anything like it before.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hey, do you really think something like this could be found in the Oreburgh Mine?" Dalton asked, suddenly aware of Dr. Christopher's presence. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Why, of course! People find wacky things in there all the time. It looks awfully sharp, too. Maybe you picked it up on the ground to defend yourself at some point during the ambush? I hear stress can have an effect on your memory. Apparently, so can your mood and dental health."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton looked up, momentarily distracted from his train of thought. "Mood and dental health?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dr. Christopher shrugged innocently. "You'd be surprised at what you can find on a science website. People write about all sorts of things. Abraham even calls me the ultimate source for useless facts. As a matter of fact, I say you read a book or two on mining history. There's a library not far from here, I could check out a few books for you on my way home!" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Uh... sure," Dalton said, putting the crescent on a glass table at his bedside. "Thanks."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]No problem!" Dr. Christopher smiled cheerfully, just as Abraham reentered the room. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]All right, here's your water. Drink it, then get to sleep. You have about a week's recovery ahead of you."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Mmhmm," Dr. Christopher nodded in agreement over the last few strokes of his pen. "Gotta get this to Greg. See you later!" Dr. Christopher exited the room, Abraham following. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Night night," he chuckled as he closed the door. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]...[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The hospital room was streaked with sunlight when Dalton woke up the next morning. The first thing he noticed was a weathered book waiting for him on the table beside the bed. A note was taped to the spine:[/FONT]

Dalton -

The library had exactly what I was looking for! This book was recently published, and is very detailed. The last chapter is devoted entirely to mysterious artifacts, and your object is one of them! Look it up. It's called the Lunar Wing. Oh, and I had breakfast made for you already. If you don't want it, just leave it on the table.
A day without laughter is a day wasted :)

- C.S.

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Next to the books was a tray of food. It wasn't much – just a few crackers, an apple, and a cup of milk. Dalton was grateful for it, though, and forced it down to his growling stomach. Then, he lifted the book up off the table. The title read: The Mysteries of Sinnoh, and the book looked as if it had never been opened before. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Immediately, Dalton flipped to the table of contents, which was organized into chapters. He found the heading titled 'Lunar Wing and other Artifacts' and flipped to the indicated page. It was almost at the end of the book. He began reading the first paragraph that caught his eye.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Experts agree that the Lunar Wing is one of the oldest Sinnoh artifacts. It was discovered in the late 1800s by a group of hikers who wandered into the Spear Pillar of Mt. Coronet. They described it as having a "surface smoother than glass" and being "as unbreakable as diamond". Scientists later identified it as being as old as Sinnoh itself. Carbon dating puts it only a few years after the region's estimated formation. But despite intensive testing, its origins are unknown. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]It's really just a piece of colored rock," said Dr. E. Rann, Department of Archeology at the University of Sunyshore, and the scientist in charge of the study. "There's nothing special about it, at least nothing we can find."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The Lunar Wing was locked in the laboratory until it was stolen in 1960. The estimated value of the Lunar Wing back then was less than one hundred dollars, due to its uncertain use and quality. So why would anyone want to steal something virtually worthless? The answer came in the news one week later.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The thief's identity was still unknown, but a news report featured a doctor who was treating a patient hospitalized with hallucinations and strange nightmares. The doctor admits to treating him with the Lunar Wing, which made his condition disappear in less than a day. But before further investigation could be conducted, the object vanished mysteriously. Its current location is unknown. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The paragraph ended there, and a new section began. Dalton closed the book and put it back on the table, once again picking up the Lunar Wing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]So it was used to cure someone's hallucinations? What good is that? Dalton's shoulders sagged as he looked at his blurry reflection. Maybe it was an accident that I found this. Not everything in life has to be a coincidence. Just as he was about to put the Lunar Wing back on the table, the door to his room opened.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Good morning!" Dr. Christopher said as he entered. "I see you've been reading that book I got you. How'd you like it?" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I only read the part about the Lunar Wing," Dalton confessed. "Apparently it was used to cure someone's hallucinations a long time ago."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Interesting, very interesting! Who knows, someday if you or someone you know has hallucinations, that might come in handy!" Dr. Christopher lifted the tray off of the table and checked Dalton's IV. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Well, I gotta run!" he said as he turned for the door. "Someone came in with a concussion a few hours ago... not good! Have to check up on him. See you later!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton lazily waved and watched the doctor slam the door. For a few minutes, he was in total silence. The room's door did a good job of muffling the sounds in the hallway outside. For all he knew, there could be a fire.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton's back pains were slowly going away, so he was able to sit up and watch T.V. The monitor was irritatingly small, and its position on the far corner of the room made it hard to see. Nevertheless, he found the remote on the bottom shelf of the nightstand and began watching a random channel. Apparently, a special news group was interviewing the Sunyshore Gym leader about a new addition to his Gym. For a while, nothing could be heard except for Volkner's words, then a tapping noise. At first, Dalton thought it was just a part of the program. But even as the program went into commercial break, the tapping continued. [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, serif]In the corner of his eye, Dalton saw something move. He turned sharply, and saw a pokémon sitting on the outside windowsill, tapping the glass with its narrow beak. It was a Starly, and its eyes were red. But before Dalton could get a better look at it, the pokémon flew off.
[/FONT] [FONT=Georgia, serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]Its hollow screech left an echo in his mind long after it was gone.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Honestly, I find it weird someone professional as a doctor would use a smiley. XD

Anyways, gotta say interesting info on the Lunar Wing. Like Dalton though, am confused how he even got that thing. O.o Also, why he didn't just ask the doctor what happened with his other friends?

One other thing I want to mention is I like the contrast between Dr. Christopher and Abraham. I always thought the mentor is more grumpy and the intern cheerful. XD;

Overall nice chapter here, though not much happening, but that's all right. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Nice chapter overall. A bit quiet, but after the chaos of last chapter, it's a needed change. And we're introduced to Doctor Christopher, who I like for his random changing of topics and fascination with the local mining industry. Then, of course, there's intern Abraham, who is more down-to-earth and just has to put up with the doctor's quirks.

But there is one major revelation, and that is the fact that Dalton survived the assault and found the Lunar Wing in his possession. This is significant, as out of all the soldiers in the platoon, he was singled out to survive and be given this rare item. Perhaps some unseen force or creature sees him as a key part of stopping the Darkrai massacre, and so granted Dalton with the Lunar Wing. It's an important development to be sure, and one to keep my eyes on in the future as things unfold.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Thanks for the replies, Bay and LeSabre!

This was one of the most enjoyable chapters for me to write, mostly because of the two doctors :P Chapter 5 will be coming next week, so stay tuned!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
[FONT=Georgia, serif]I've been neglecting this thread :(
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]
[/FONT]
CHAPTER 5

[FONT=Georgia, serif]That day, the ride home was long and bumpy. Sadie remained silent most of the time, listening to the hard rock music Officer Garrett was playing through the car's radio. She had never been a fan of rock, but Rena seemed to be enjoying it. Her best friend was mouthing the lyrics and snapping her fingers to the beat in a matter of minutes. Unlike Rena, Sadie preferred to stare out the window and watch the passing world. The windows of the car were tinted, which meant that Sadie could stare at someone with an unusual hairstyle or clothing for long periods of time without being noticed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The thing Sadie liked about Officer Garrett was that he seemed like a good-natured guy. He wasn't the type to cause uncomfortable silences and gaps in conversation. Most of all, he didn't address her or Rena like two criminals, but rather like two normal young ladies. He occasionally paused the music to mutter a few words into his police radio, but other than that, he remained peacefully silent. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Almost there," he grunted as they passed the 'Entering Route 202' sign. At this point, Rena leaned over to whisper to Sadie. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]It's almost 3:00. We're actually gonna make it!" Rena's excitement was obvious. Sadie sighed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]For once, will we actually get through without getting in trouble? The very thought gave her hope.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Up ahead, Sadie could see the iron gates that guarded the northern entrance to Sandgem. But the gates were closed, and Sadie immediately knew something was wrong. Rena seemed to be catching on as well. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]What idiot closed the gates?" she shouted over the music. Officer Garrett paused the CD, and scratched his chin. "So they're not usually closed at this time of day?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]No..." Sadie said. She tilted her head as far to the side as the window would allow, but she could not see past the trees that blocked the view. "How do we get in?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We could climb a tree!" Rena suggested. "Wait, no we can't. Our bikes won't fit up there."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]It looked like Officer Garrett was preparing for a reply, but a sudden burst of static interrupted him. He lifted a walkie-talkie from his belt.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hello? Officer Garrett here." [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Officer Garret!" said a frantic voice. "This is the chief. We're in Sandgem right now and I need you here immediately!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The policeman chuckled. "I'm actually in front of the gates right now. But they're closed and there's no way for us to get in."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sorry about that. We had to close them for security reasons. I'll have a few city officials open them right now, and I'll give you all the details," said the chief. Sadie exchanged a nervous look with Rena, but remained silent. All she could do was wonder.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]About a minute later the gates slid open, revealing the aftermath of some terrible disaster. Police cars were everywhere, their flashing lights reflected by shards of broken glass sprinkled on the ground. Fire trucks were stationed here and there, their crews dousing the last bit of flames on crumbling buildings. People and their pokémon were being led out of their houses by paramedics. Gardens, signs, and paths were completely destroyed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What happened here? Sadie cupped her hands over her gaping mouth.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Officer Garret made a sharp right turn, and entered a dead-end lane, stopping in front of Sadie's house. There stood a small group of officers along with a team of dogs. Officer Garrett stepped out of the care, and opened the door for the girls. Without a word, Sadie exited the car. The tears that welled up in her eyes had nothing to do with the smoky air. Her house was a ruin. Its windows were shattered, and the door hung loose from its only hinge. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A tall man distanced himself from the crowd to wave at Officer Garrett, who saluted immediately.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hello, Chief." [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]All right, Officer, I need you to..." his voice trailed off as his gaze fell on Sadie and Rena. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Who are they?" he asked. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I was driving these two girls home from Jubilife. They live here."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The chief's eyes widened. He did not speak for a few seconds. "Well! Aren't you two lucky."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]What... what exactly happened here?" Sadie asked, her voice soft at first. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We don't know," the chief shrugged. "Around noon, we got a call about a robbery in North Sandgem. Apparently the robber stole the person's pokémon and set fire to their house. Then, two minutes later, someone called about a robbery in South Sandgem. Same thing. Pokémon stolen, and fire. Then, another two minutes later, someone called about two missing girls." There was a twinkle in his eye at the last sentence. "I see we have one of our problems solved." [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie felt her cheeks flush as she thought of her mother. How can she be back from work so early?[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Unfortunately," the chief continued, "The caller was cut off before she could finish the conversation. We heard glass breaking, and then the phone falling to the floor. Our CSIs are still working on it."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]WHAT?" Sadie shouted with involuntary astonishment. "My mother! What happened to her?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The chief shrugged sympathetically. "We got there in time. She suffered a head injury and a few broken ribs. But she should be fine now, she was airlifted to Oreburgh Central about an hour ago."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie shoulders sagged. What was I doing an hour ago? Enjoying myself with Rena while my mom was worried sick! And now she has to pay for my stupidity. Her vision was blurred by warm tears.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie... I'm sorry," Rena said slowly, but Sadie turned away. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Here, I'll show you the damage inside. Follow me," said the chief. He turned to lead the way, but Sadie stepped ahead of him. The interior of her house was a mess. The furniture was dirty and displaced, and the TV screen was cracked. The carpet on the stairs was splattered with mud, and so were the walls. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]This isn't my house... Sadie sighed. I don't care what they say... this isn't my house...[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie entered the kitchen, her fingertips sliding over the surface of the counter. The refrigerator was knocked on its side, and so was the table. The potted plants that stood near the small window were all over the tiled floor. The sink was still running. Gently, Sadie stepped over a fallen chair and shut off the flow of water.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Behind her, Rena was also exploring the scene. She was sitting in the exact same spot she had been in hours before, with a curious expression on her face. Sadie walked over to her, and Rena rose from her seat. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm really, honestly sorry about this Sadie. Maybe if we were there, we could have done something..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie sighed. "It's not your fault. Mom wouldn't have wanted us to be there when the house was being robbed. She'll be glad that we weren't hurt. At least, not physically." Sadie allowed herself a smile. "I want to go see my room. To find out what they stole."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena followed her to her room, where more destruction lay. Papers were scattered all over the floor, and her bed looked like someone had repeatedly jumped on it. Her books lay on the floor, most torn to pieces. The soft green paint of the walls was chipped and blackened. But Sadie's gaze remained fixed on the windowsill. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]My pokémon!" she cried out, rushing to the opposite side of the room with her arms spread in front of her. A scream escaped from her lips when she realized that no pokéballs were there.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]They took your pokémon!" Rena cried. "Wait... maybe they didn't check in your backpack! It's over there, look!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Immediately, Sadie rushed to her backpack, which was carelessly thrown against a wall. She withdrew a single pokéball from the inside pocket and tossed it into the air.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Go!" she shrieked, nearly hysterical. The silhouette of her Luxio emerged with a flash of red light. The electric pokémon growled in confusion, darting back and forth across the room. Just before it reached the wall, Sadie returned him and withdrew another pokéball.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Go!" she yelled, and out came her Roselia. Just as the last bit of red light faded from its slender body, the pokémon was called back in. With a confused cry, Roselia was sucked back into the pokéball. Defeated, Sadie let her backpack fall in a lump beside her.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]That's it," she whispered. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Oh no, Sadie..." Rena was biting her lip. The two girls met in a hug.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I only have Luxio and Roselia left..." Sadie sobbed. "Cherubi, Wingull... all g-gone!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena said nothing, but hugged her tighter. Before leaving the room, Sadie packed a few more things that were spared from the robber's attack. The only photo that wasn't smashed was on the very top of the wooden shelf, which made it difficult to grab. It depicted her at a young age, smiling next to her mother. Once she removed it from its frame, she put the photograph into her backpack. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie opened her jewelry box, which was kept a shelf lower. The robber obviously wasn't interested in her accessories, since the box didn't seem to be tampered with. Her fingers dug into the pile of necklaces and bracelets and withdrew a silver chain with a heart hanging from it. It was a gift from her grandmother, and it was one of her most treasured possessions. She fastened it around her neck, then led Rena out to the hallway.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Her mother's room was in a similar state. The wallpaper was peeling, the curtains were torn, and the carpet was flattened. Her possessions littered the floor in a messy heap. The only thing left untouched was the safe her mother kept her pokéballs in. Though it was dented from many blows, the safe remained intact. It comforted Sadie to know that there was one thing the robbers couldn't get.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]You're taking them?" Rena asked as Sadie knelt down before the safe. Sadie nodded as she turned the knob. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I don't want any policemen getting them. These pokémon are really special to Mom, and I'm not letting them out of my sight." Sadie placed each pokéball into her backpack gently, separating them from her own. Then she rose to her feet. "Let's go. There's really nothing to do here anymore, and I can't look at this place anymore. It's too painful."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena nodded silently, and the two girls exited the room, later the house. They met with Officer Garret outside, who was talking with another officer. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hello girls. Sorry... eh, about the house. We're doing everything we can." He nodded to Sadie.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Is there a way for us to quickly get to the Oreburgh Central Hospital? I'd like to visit my mother," Sadie said.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The officer seemed surprised. "Well, I suppose once this mess has been cleared up, I can drive you on my way home. But I won't be there to pick you up, so you'll have to find other means of transportation."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Thank you!" Sadie nearly screamed. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hold your horses, we're not going anywhere yet. I have a lot of things to do, so you're probably looking at three more hours here. I'm afraid you'll have to stay close to me for the time being."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie nodded. "It's okay, we don't mind." She noticed the police chief making his way over to Officer Garrett. He held a clipboard, and was writing furiously. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Anything new, Chief?" Officer Garrett asked. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The chief did not look up from his writing. "Yes. The CSIs recovered DNA from the homes, and there's a pattern of the same four individuals. But the thing is, they were reported missing months ago. And some of the homes they broke into were theirs. This doesn't add up. Why would you steal your own stuff?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Maybe to cover their own tracks? What did they take from the homes, exactly?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]They did a good job of wrecking things, but all they really took were pokéballs."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]So a group of people who steals other people's pokémon. That's not unheard of."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I hope it'll be as simple as that. Crime gangs aren't too hard to capture these days. We already have a profile of the people. Now all we need to do is find their whereabouts."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Do you need my help with anything, sir?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Not really. We have everything covered already. The residents are begin evacuated, and the paramedics have taken care of everyone. Tell the other officers that they can go home. The CSIs and I do all the work from here," he chuckled. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Officer Garrett saluted once more, then made his way over to his car. Sadie stepped inside, ready to see her mother. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
BTW: This is Chapter 5, not 6 :P

Wow. You drop a bombshell this chapter. Needless to say, getting in trouble with her mom is now the least of Sadie's worries. Her town and home are in shambles, her mom is hospitalized... a simple trip to the next town over results in this chaos?

And the description of the devastation and Sadie's reaction to the mess is much improved this time. There's definitely a heightened sense of despair and hopelessness this time around, and that makes the chapter all the more intense.

This is the chapter, IMO, that draws the girls into the main plot, and it's carried out very well. Can't wait for the next chapter, and I think you know why ;P

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I'm terribly sorry. Chapter 6 will be delayed for the next few lines.

CHAPTER 6

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Come on plane, land!" the girl muttered to herself. Next to the other passengers, who were lazily gathering their things, her fidgeting was strangely out of place. She frequently took out her cell phone to check the time, following with a quick glance out the window and a pause to adjust her position. Her gold necklace bounced with her motions.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Calm down," the man sitting next to her said between gulps of soda. "The pilot said we'll be on the ground in a few minutes." [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Completely ignoring his comment, she continued to groan. "Man! I told that pilot to go west to avoid the headwind! He's wasted so much time!"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Do you ever stop complaining?" the man continued, opening a bag of potato chips.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Do you ever stop eating?" she countered, her nose crinkling as the man swallowed. "In a span of five hours, you've burped forty seven times, spilled your soda five times, and talked with your mouth full twelve times! Including now!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]For a moment, the man's tiny eyes fell on his stained shirt, then back to the girl. "It's none of your business how I eat!" As he said this, he opened a can of soda.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]You better not get any of that on my dress!" the girl threatened, then turned away. According to the small TV screen on the seat in front of her, the plane had lost 500 feet, and was now making its way to the Jubilife Airport. The girl's fist tightened around the skirt of her dress, which had been a nervous habit of hers for as long as she could remember. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm not gonna make it in time! I'm not gonna make it! Lindsay better be okay! What if something did happen to her? I can't imagine the guilt![/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Her thoughts were scattered and frantic. When the plane skid to a stop, she was the first one up. She shot the pilot a glance as she passed by the cabin, then ran to the terminal as fast as her flats would allow her. But to her dismay, the building was packed to such extent, she could not get past the entrance. There appeared to be some sort of holdup within the building. People were gathering around one point, murmuring behind cupped hands. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Outta my way, MOVE!" The girl yelled, shoving her way through the crowd. She pushed herself to the front of the crowd, ignoring the abuse others yelled at her. The commotion was coming from two police officers who were wrestling with a teenage boy. He didn't look like a criminal to her, however. His attire was that of a plain city boy, dressed in a simple white shirt and baggy jeans. The only thing that seemed out of place were his glasses, their dark lenses making it nigh impossible to see his eyes. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Maybe he's an undercover fugitive... She watched as the officers continued to wrangle, but the boy was surprisingly tough. He seemed to be overpowering them, slowly but surely. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Backup, I need backup!" one of the men yelled into his walkie-talkie. A few seconds later, three more officers rushed to the scene. The crowd gasped in shock as they overwhelmed the boy, and bound his hands with a pair of shiny handcuffs. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Thought it would be a good idea to sneak a knife onto the plane, eh?" Lisa caught an officer say the boy was led off. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]And just like that, the day resumed as if nothing had ever happened. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hmph!" the girl snorted to herself as she continued her walk. "Criminals... at such a young age, too." She was momentarily distracted with opening her purse, so she did not anticipate what would happen next. As she brought down her left foot, she felt something give way beneath her. She screamed as she fell to the floor, hands flailing. The force of the impact stung her knees and palms, and jarred her vision. A few people gathered around her as she scrambled to her feet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Then, she heard a woman's voice exclaim, "You stepped on my daughter's... brand... new... BACKPACK!" Several gasps followed, and a small crowd began to gather. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" she cried, and broke into a run. She exited the airport building and entered the blistering heat of Jubilife City. As she stood in the parking lot, she zipped open her purse. She withdrew her purple cell phone and began to dial a number. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hello? This is Lisa Northwood. I'm at the Jubilife National Airport, 1117 Buck Street. I need a taxi to drive me to Oreburgh Central Hospital pronto!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A few minutes later, a large brown car pulled up to the parking lot. The driver was a tired-looking man wearing a fancy black cap. He appeared nervous as he pulled up to the girl.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sorry, ma'am," he said in a thick accent. "We would have gotten you a more luxurious car, but it broke down and we had to get a Buick LeSabre instead."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]But her smile only grew wider. "It's perfect!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]...[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]By the end of his first few days at the hospital, Dalton was finally getting the hang of things. His wrist was almost fully healed, and Doctor Christopher or Abraham would drop by at least once a day to check up on him. The hospital itself was very fast-paced. Occasionally, Dalton caught bits and pieces of conversation between the staff. There was an unexplained rise in patients lately, all of them afflicted with the same condition – Darkrai nightmares. When he learned this, Dalton reacted with a gasp. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The first time he had heard the term was a year ago, when the Darkrai conflict was just beginning. Apparently, Darkrai possessed an unearthly power to inflict any living thing with eternal sleep, tormenting them with nightmares of their greatest fears. The victim would appear normal on the outside, but would occasionally mutter things and shake violently depending on what they were dreaming. Once someone was asleep, there was virtually no way to wake them. All you could do was watch them suffer. Such cases were extremely rare, though. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]When Dr. Christopher next entered his room, Dalton posed the question to him. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]So, you overheard some of our other doctors talking?" the doctor had replied, raising an eyebrow from his latest paperwork. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Yeah, and I've heard that Darkrai nightmares are extremely rare. So what's up with all these sleepers?" [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dr. Christopher sighed, preparing his reply. "Well, we have been getting a lot of sleeping patients lately... they've been given the entire second floor too. We get about three new cases per week, which is a very shocking amount! Can you believe that before all this Darkrai stuff started happening, people never even knew what a Darkrai nightmare was? Darkrai has finally found a way to harm the citizens." His expression turned somber as he gazed out the window. "I fear that things will take a turn for the worse..."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The next few days were dark and rainy. Dalton was always woken in the middle of the night by a clap of thunder, then lulled to sleep by the rush of falling rain. During his waking hours, he occupied himself with The Mysteries of Sinnoh. The book wasn't very interesting, despite the promising title. Apparently, 'mysteries of Sinnoh' could mean anything from ancient ruins to weather patterns. Many of its topics were left open, as if the author was asking the reader to tell him more. One chapter, titled 'Did you know that Mt. Coronet is a chain of volcanoes?' barely extended down to a page.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Every once in a while, Dalton's gaze would fall on the Lunar Wing. It lay in the exact same spot he had left it a few days ago, but it looked different somehow. At night, it seemed to glow with the light from the window. Sometimes Dalton would just sit and stare at it, wondering where it came from and how he had attained it. Though he never saw the mysterious red-eyed Starly again, his mind flickered to it every so often, triggering thoughts such as, Am I really hallucinating? Or was it really there? Could it have something to do with the Lunar Wing?[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The morning before his checkout date, Dalton woke in a relatively good mood. He was well-rested, and was finally able to finish his entire breakfast when it was given to him. The storm clouds had begun to clear, allowing streaks of sunlight into his room. Greg, the receptionist, entered his room with a cheerful "Good morning!" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Morning, Greg," Dalton said as the man handed him a clipboard.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Just some papers giving consent to your release tomorrow, and your bill," Greg explained with a yawn. "Barely got any sleep last night... I'm no good in all this wet weather."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Mhmm," Dalton murmured absentmindedly, skimming through the tiny black print.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Just hand those in to the front desk when you're ready." Greg trudged to the door and slammed it behind him.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton rather liked the silence – it gave him peace of mind and time to think. And now, with the tip of his ballpoint pen inches away from the signature line, he began to wonder for his future.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]After I get out of this place... where will I go? I can't be in here forever... I can't go home either. Go back to the military? Maybe... [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]During his time at the hospital, Dalton had been pondering his mysterious survival. Had it been a miracle of some sort? Was it meant to be this way?[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Maybe it's a message for me to ditch the military... Dalton wondered, the paper covered in marks from his tapping pen.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In truth, the past year was definitely his worst in the army. The president had announced the Darkrai mission at the beginning of the year, and divided the squads among sections of Sinnoh. They were trying to track down Darkrai and kill it once and for all. The instructions were vague, for Dr. Berry had not mentioned exactly how it was to be done, or what to do after it had been done. The result was utter chaos, with each of the squads executing their own interpretation of the plan. One of his buddies had already dropped out, deciding that it was finally time to return home and 'get a real job'. Dalton was contemplating the same, but bit down the idea for a good month. Was this finally the time to act?[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]But they can't possibly kill Darkrai like that! Dalton realized with a burst of silent rage. Bullets have no effect, and Darkrai can wipe out an entire squad with one attack... how does it do that? The other squads will be helpless! I can't let all those soldiers die...[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]And then, he knew what he had to do. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'll go to Snowpoint City... Somehow, I'm gonna get to the President and tell him that he needs a new plan of action.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]In about five minutes, Dalton had signed all his papers. Clipping the pen back to the clipboard, he rose from his seat and left the room.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]His room was at the end of a long, bright hallway. His bare feet felt strange on the cold floor, and Dalton suddenly wished for a thick pair of socks. Taking a deep breath, Dalton started walking. The entire hospital was like an extension of his room - neat, orderly, and identical. The hallways all looked the same, except for the numbering on the walls that indicated the various rooms. Dalton soon found himself lost in a sterile white maze, jumping from elevator to elevator in a panic. Twice he tried to ask for help, only to be silenced by someone who was "On the phone!" or otherwise occupied. As his frustration began to build, Dalton began to walk faster. But everywhere his head turned all he could see were more doors.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]What kind of place is this? he cried out in his mind.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]When he reached the nearest elevator, Dalton jammed his fist into the button on the wall, muttering angrily under his breath. Dalton stepped into the elevator, overcome by a rush of cool air. The rows of buttons on the doors were blinking simultaneously, and Dalton selected the lowest floor option: Floor 2. As the elevator jerked downward, an old pop song began to play from the single speaker on the ceiling. As he waited, Dalton found himself transfixed by his own reflection in the mirror walls.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton could not place it, but something about his appearance had changed. As he peered into his own eyes, which had dulled in color ever so slightly, he saw a mysterious new emotion hidden behind them. The very thought made him feel detached somehow, as if the person in the mirror wasn't him. His face appeared sunken and hollow under the light, as if something were missing. But before Dalton could begin to wonder, there was a loud screech.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The elevator doors slid open, revealing a long hallway ahead. To Dalton's surprise, it was completely deserted. Dalton just stood there for a moment, unsure of whether to proceed. He stepped out of the elevator cautiously, the low hum of the radio replaced by screaming silence. There was a final beep as the elevator doors closed behind him, their low thump echoing through the empty space. Just then, Dalton began to feel very dizzy. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Suddenly, a muffled scream sliced through the air. Dalton felt himself jerk to a stop, his blood cold in his veins. His palms were sweating with the same anticipation he usually felt before he was about to venture out on a mission with his squad. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Slowly, Dalton turned to the door to his left, his head still spinning. His surroundings blurred ever so slightly, but he could still read the brass numbers on the wall: '209'. The door stood slightly ajar, giving him a glimpse of the room behind it. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton could see the side of a bed where a figure lay, thrashing violently. The creature gasped and shivered, its motions in time with a faint beeping noise. Dalton's hand closed around the knob as he slowly opened the door. He did not know what prompted him to do this, but he found himself standing inside the room, beside the bed. The creature was a young girl, about five years old. She was flinching and squealing, her eyes tightly closed. Frequent spasms wracked her frame. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Darkrai nightmare... The words slipped through Dalton's thoughts, and he wondered what this girl had been seeing behind her closed lids. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]And then, almost as if by impulse, his hand found the Lunar Wing nestled in the pocket of his gown. He slowly withdrew it, and held it near the girl. The Wing began to glow, its light filling the entire room. The girl's shivers lessened, and she let out a sigh. Her grimace was replaced by the face of a silent, peaceful slumber. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Oh my God..." someone said, and Dalton jumped. He turned to see a wide-eyed doctor standing at the doorway, gripping the knob with a pale hand. She eyed the Lunar Wing with wide eyes. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I... There was a scream, and she was having some sort of seizure... And I held this in front of her, and it... stopped," Dalton managed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The doctor blinked twice, and stepped forward, her slick ponytail swishing behind her. Dalton placed the Lunar Wing into her outstretched hand. The doctor began examining it under the light.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]This poor little girl was having a Darkrai nightmare... but this - this stone, you say, cured her?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Dalton nodded. "The Lunar Wing."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]When she turned back to him, her cheeks were wet with tears. "I must inform the staff of this! With this... Lunar Wing, we could heal the entire second floor!" her voice had a hysterical edge to it, as if she didn't believe her own words. She turned for the exit, then shot Dalton a glance over her shoulder.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Are you... a patient here?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Yeah, I was trying to get to the first floor... but this place is like a maze! I have to get these papers over to Greg, the guy at the front desk. I'm checking out tomorrow."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'll lead you to the front desk then. Follow me."[/FONT]

-----------

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Author's Notes: If you haven't guessed already, Chapter 6 features Lisa from LeSabre's fanfiction, which can be found here. Thanks to LeSabre for helping me out with Lisa's personality!
[/FONT]

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Okay, first I need to say to everyone else that I do approve of the inclusion of my character here.

Keeping my character in, well, character (lol)isn't much of a problem here. Lisa's done very well in this chapter and displays her typical charms and quirks. I like to see when someone can take your character, give them their unique spin, and still keep them true to form. And she does indeed become a nervous wreck sometimes.

"You stepped on my daughter's... brand... new... BACKPACK!"
Uh, oh, someone's in trouble :P But ah, yes, the crowded airport scene. Anyone who's ever been there has probably had to deal with a crowded terminal sometime...

"We would have gotten you a more luxurious car, but it broke down and we had to get a Buick LeSabre instead."

But her smile only grew wider. "It's perfect!"
Buick LeSabre... the car of choice for teenage math nerds and 84-year old PC members alike :)

I also think that the nature of the Darkrai nightmares was described in more detail this time around, like the sudden increase in incidents over the past year and the president's haphazard "plan" for dealing with it. Against a foe that powerful, and with instructions that ague, I would've dropped out of the military in the first place. Not that I'd enlist in the first place XD

And we get to see the Lunar Wing in action as it cures a nightmare victim. Though Dalton may be sticking around the hospital a little longer than he planned...

Well, that's about all I had to say. I'll be looking forward to the next chapter, and to see how everybody eventually meets up. Good work on the chapter!

Bay

Years
Chapter Five doesn't have much going on. For now the robbery seems to be random to me, but I'm sure there's a reason for the robbery. Have to say though you did the emotions of the two girls well on their thoughts and reactions of the destruction they saw.

Chapter Six I thought has more stuff dealing with the plot here, like the Lunar Wing and people getting nightmares as LeSabre mention. Also, like how you expand Dalton's personality a bit there with him thinking about the military. Nice job there.

As for Lisa in this story…:3 Yeah, I thought you did well with her character there. You showed her nervousness, rashness, and quirks there (like the LeSabre Buick :P

Yeah, sorry for the short review. LeSabre bugged me to get this review soon and I'm supposed to study! Also, he pretty much already said my thoughts on your chapters D: However, I really enjoyed the last two chapters and looking forward to what's going to happen next!

(urgh, now LeSabre is going to bug me trying to get a review for his fic, but I'm busy at the moment D: lol)

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Keeping my character in, well, character (lol)isn't much of a problem here. Lisa's done very well in this chapter and displays her typical charms and quirks. I like to see when someone can take your character, give them their unique spin, and still keep them true to form. And she does indeed become a nervous wreck sometimes.
Don't forget that you helped me with Lisa too :) Glad I did a good job, though!

I also think that the nature of the Darkrai nightmares was described in more detail this time around, like the sudden increase in incidents over the past year and the president's haphazard "plan" for dealing with it. Against a foe that powerful, and with instructions that ague, I would've dropped out of the military in the first place. Not that I'd enlist in the first place XD
Yeah, by now you know what that plan is. Don't reveal anything to anyone else though :P

Chapter Five doesn't have much going on. For now the robbery seems to be random to me, but I'm sure there's a reason for the robbery. Have to say though you did the emotions of the two girls well on their thoughts and reactions of the destruction they saw.
The robbery actually plays a big role later on, but I can't say what without revealing a part of a future chapter...

Thanks for the reviews, guys! I really apreciate them! Chapter 7 will be in a week, just like usual. (The reason this one was delayed so much was because I was busy with non-writing things. Hopefully it won't happen again)

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
[FONT=Georgia, serif]CHAPTER 7[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]
In contrast to the outside temperature, the lobby of the Oreburgh Central Hospital was cool and refreshing. An involuntary 'Ah' escaped Sadie's lips upon entering. The lobby was empty except for a teenage girl in an expensive-looking dress. She sat in a chair near the doorway. A clerk sat behind the counter, face obscured by a computer screen.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Names please?" the clerk asked, tilting his head so he could see her. He was a small man, appearing to be in his late thirties. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie Catherwood and Rena Bradford. We want to visit someone named Katherine Catherwood, but I'm not sure which room she's staying at."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Once again, the man's face disappeared behind the screen. After a while, he replied, "Miss Catherwood is staying in Room 361... but she's in critical condition. I'm sorry ladies, but no visitors are permitted." [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We get that! That's why we want to visit her! To see if she's okay!" Rena snapped, placing both fists onto the counter. Sadie was about to pull her back, then the man responded. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm sorry again, but I can't let you or anyone else visit her. Hospital rules." [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena made a face, and Sadie was immediately glad he could not see her."...Okay," Rena said, her voice upbeat and cheerful. "Thanks for the help." With that, Rena turned away and walked over to a nearby chair. She motioned for Sadie to follow. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Aren't hospitals supposed to have those family-friend rules?" she mumbled as she sat down next to Rena. Her voice seemed unusually loud in the quiet lobby.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie, calm down. Your mom's in good care. But if we can't visit her, then it's not worth getting upset about," Rena said, her voice just a bit louder. Then she leaned closer, and her voice dropped to a whisper. "We can't act like we're upset! That guy will think we're a couple of mental teenagers, and then he'll kick us out of here. All we need to do is ask directions for the bathroom, then we go to Room 361 when that nutcase isn't looking!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]She glanced over to the clerk, who had remained still the entire time. Obviously, he hadn't heard Rena's last words. Sadie bit her lip.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Well, what harm could it do?[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]All right," she whispered to Rena. "But this better work."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Don't worry, people do this all the time!" Rena winked, then swiftly rose from her chair. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Her smile was erased as she approached the counter, replaced by a businesslike expression. "Excuse me, do you know where the bathroom is?" she asked innocently, playing with the edge of her shirt.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A sigh came from behind the computer. "If you're trying to sneak past me to see Mrs. Catherwood, then you might as well give up. There's a bathroom over there." He pointed to a narrow hallway across the room, in the opposite direction from the main hallways.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena made no attempt to hide her frustration. Sadie stifled a laugh as Rena stomped back to her chair, mumbling to herself all the way.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Stupid clerk," Rena said through gritted teeth. She let herself fall into the chair, and groped a nearby table for a magazine. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]You too?" said a new voice, and Sadie turned. The teenage girl was looking at them now, her brown eyes narrowed with interest. It was only now that Sadie noticed her unusual outfit – fancy blue dress partially concealed behind a green blouse, and straight brown hair underneath a white hat. Sadie had never seen anyone in Sinnoh dress like that, and immediately assumed this girl was foreign.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]What?" Rena asked defensively, looking up from her magazine. "A girl can't read Championship Battling?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The girl giggled. "No, I was actually referring to you guys getting sent back from the clerk's desk. The guy won't let me see my sister!"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]That's terrible!" Sadie exclaimed. "What happened to her?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I don't know... Yesterday I get a call from her, saying that she's about to go up against Roark. He's the Gym leader here apparently. And a few hours later, I get a call from the paramedics, saying that something bad has happened to her and she's being hospitalized."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Yeah... something like that happened to my mom too. Rena and I weren't home at the time, but we came back and found an entire investigation going on in our town," Sadie found herself saying. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Was it Sandgem?" the girl asked, catching Sadie by surprise.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Well... yeah, how did you know?" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I was listening to the radio when I took the taxi here. They said that there was some sort of raid on Sandgem Town. Something about a crime gang setting fire to people's houses and stealing their pokémon..." her voice hardened at the last sentence. "I've had enough of crime gangs, trust me."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]But the police said that most of the houses that were robbed belonged to the robbers. You wouldn't steal your own pokémon, because you already have them. And you wouldn't burn down your own house even if you were in a crime gang," Rena replied, not taking her eyes off the pages.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The girl shrugged. "You'd be surprised at what kind of people live in this world. I've met a man who barks more than he talks!" Sadie couldn't help but laugh at the thought. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A long gap in conversation followed, during which Sadie let herself fall into a daydream. She sat in content silence, observing the day through the glass doors. She watched as the landscape outside dimmed and brightened with the steady movement of clouds, and how the plants swayed with the breeze. The only sounds she could hear were the tapping of the clerk's keyboard and the flick of turning pages. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm Lisa, by the way," said the girl. "Lisa Northwood."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]It took Sadie a moment to find her voice. "Nice to meet you. I'm Sadie Catherwood."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena Bradford."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Lisa nodded slowly. "So where do y'all plan on going now that your hometown is a crime scene, and your mom is in the hospital? It sounds like a pretty bad situation."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie was about to answer, then she realized that Lisa was right. Rena's parents, along with the other inhabitants of Sandgem, would be forced to go live in another city while the crime was being investigated. Meanwhile, she and Rena were at the hospital, with no money and no means of getting home.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]...This sucks," Sadie said after a while. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We could always call my mom," Rena put in. "We can find out where she is, and after she's done screaming at us, we could stay with her for a while. Until your mom gets better."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Good idea, but we don't have a cell phone. It wasn't in my backpack when we were battling in Route 202, and I guess I forgot to pack it when I was in my room..." Sadie's cheeks burned with her own shame. Her mother had always told her to never leave her house without her cell phone. And now, the day she needed it most, she didn't have it.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]You could borrow mine," Lisa suggested, handing them a small purple phone.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Uh... thanks!" Sadie said, sheepishly taking the phone. She passed it to Rena, who began dialing immediately.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hello?" she said loudly, bringing the phone to her ear. She remained silent for a few seconds, biting her lip and staring at the ceiling. But after a few seconds, she snapped the phone shut.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]That's weird... No answer. She always answers, especially when I'm calling..."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We'll try again another time," Sadie said. "Right now, we have to get a place to stay. We can't sit here forever."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]But where are we gonna go? Mom's not answering."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm staying at a Quality Inn not far from here," Lisa spoke up. "It's a very good hotel, and it's pretty cheap too. Y'all can get a room there!" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We don't have any money," Rena groaned. "We can't go anywhere."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We could always get a free room at the Pokémon Center," Sadie realized. "They're funded by the Pokémon League, so the rooms are free."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]An expression of horror crossed Lisa's face. "A room at the Pokémon Center? For free? I haven't seen the Pokémon Center rooms in Sinnoh, but one time I had to stay in one back home... and let me tell you, it wasn't exactly five-star quality. The doors were literally falling off their hinges, and the bathrooms were disgusting! The toilet was overflowing and the tiles were covered in mold. The pillows were hard and the blankets made me itchy. The windows wouldn't open, so I couldn't get any fresh air. The air condition apparently 'wasn't working' at the time, so I had to breathe in stinky bathroom air. The first hour in there, I felt like I was going to puke! So I left after the first day and drove all the way to the next town, where there was a Quality Inn."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Wow," Sadie said. "Was the Pokémon Center room really that bad?" To this, Lisa nodded.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sinnoh Pokémon Centers aren't that dirty," said Rena incredulously. "My cousin stayed at one before. He said it was a little musty, but it wasn't any worse than a cheap hotel was."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Well, if it's the only option then we might as well get going. Come on, Rena." Sadie rose to her feet and turned to her friend. Rena remained where she was for a moment, skimming through the last of the magazine page. Soon, she stood to join her.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I should probably go too," said Lisa, rising along with them. "I don't wanna spend any more time here than I have to."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Have a nice day," the clerk called after them, right before Rena slammed the door shut. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Now he's acting all nice..." Rena murmured.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The girls started down the dirt path slowly, the beat of their footsteps drowned out by the sound of passing cars. There was really no need for paved roads in Oreburgh, since the soil itself was flat and smooth. The city had always appealed to Sadie, mainly because it was surrounded by snow-topped peaks. Trees were a rare, but beautiful sight. She especially loved how the green of the grass and leaves stood out against the rich brown of the soil. In Sadie's eyes, every inch of it was picture-perfect.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]They walked for several minutes, occasionally conversing with one another. But most of the walk was spent in silence, with each girl looking in a separate direction. Lisa had a habit of muttering to herself, and frequently paused to examine her shoes. To the questioning glances Sadie shot at her, Lisa replied "Well I can't get dirt on my flats!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Oreburgh's Pokémon Center was a few blocks away from the hospital. Like the standard, the building was large and square, and topped with a red roof. Here, amongst historical buildings and worn-out landscapes, the smooth glossy building seemed out of place. Sadie had always assumed that this was done on purpose, to make sure trainers from around the world could recognize the building. Rena had once said that all this 'modernization' was ruining the cultural identity of the cities, and Sadie agreed wholeheartedly. She cringed as the door slid open, swallowing them into a brightly-lit lobby. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The interior was a bright pink, with slippery tiles and bright wallpaper. Like most Pokémon Centers, this one was equipped with a row of computers, where trainers could contact their relatives and friends for free. A row of chairs lined the walls, in which trainers sat feeding and grooming their pokémon. A booth off to the side sold pokémon food, water, and travel equipment. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Wherever you go, the only thing that remains the same are Pokémon Centers," Lisa said, taking a few steps into the room. "While you guys get a room, I'm gonna go. Have to get back to my hotel for lunch. It was nice meeting you, Sadie and Rena."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Nice to meet you too," Sadie said. "See you around!"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Yeah, see you around. Bye!" Rena said. Lisa gave a final wave, and her blue dress disappeared behind the door. Sadie's gaze remained on the closed door for a moment, then she turned to face the front of the room. The lady behind the counter was clad in all white, a red cross adorning the cap on her head. She nodded to Sadie and Rena as they approached.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]How may I help you?" she asked plainly, pursing her glossed lips. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We'd like to rent a room please," Sadie said. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]For how many nights?" her questions came in a monotone, as if given by a telephone operator. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We're not sure yet... can you put us down for three? We'll tell you if we need to stay longer."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Are you girls trainers?" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]No, not really..." Rena shrugged.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Well there's a non-trainer fee for renting a room. You also have to be a trainer to benefit from our pokémon-healing center, pokémon battling rooms, and massage therapy. If you're not a trainer, you have to pay twenty dollars plus an extra fifteen for full services."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]But we're two unaccompanied minors whose hometown has been burned down! We don't have a place to stay and our parents are either hospitalized, or vanished off the face of the Earth! We're flat broke!"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I'm very sorry, but I can't give you a free room unless you're a trainer!" There was a honest trace of sympathy in her tone.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]All right, we are trainers! Now will you give us a room?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The nurse smiled wryly. "Let me see your Trainer Identification."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie immediately turned to Rena, who simultaneously turned to her. Sadie stiffened. "I... I have my Contest pass. Does that count?"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]No," the nurse sighed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena rolled her eyes and let out a groan. Several people turned their heads for the source of the sound, but she did not appear to notice. "Look, all we need is a roof over our heads! We don't care about the fancy room service or toe massages! Just give us the cheapest room you have, and we promise to keep it clean!" [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The nurse appeared to be ready to rebuke, but something made her pause. She took a step back and considered them for a moment, her blond curls shifting with her movements. "If you're really that desperate, I could give you room O-16. It's the smallest room, and everyone's been complaining about it. I'll give it to you for free for one week as long as you don't cause a nuisance for the other trainers staying here. You also won't be able to benefit from our trainer-only services."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Deal," Sadie said, before Rena could utter a protest. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The nurse nodded again and handed them a laminated card key. "The room is the fifth door down the hallway to the left. Have a nice stay."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie followed the nurse's directions to room O-16. The hallway was several meters wide, and packed with trainers of all sorts. Sadie caught words like 'badges' and 'PokéDex' from their conversations, very much unlike those of regular teens she saw. They all wore colorful outfits, all bearing the official pokémon insignia. She recognizes trainers from Hoenn, Johto, and Kanto. Some mingled amongst themselves, and others stood back in groups of three or four. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A few daring trainers were having full-blown battles in the middle of the hallway, shouting commands over their peers. A few bystanders cheered them on, recording the events with strange blinking devices. Others were exchanging money in a frenzy, betting on the opponents. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]This... Sadie concluded, is an entirely different culture.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Hey you!" the sudden shout caught her off guard. Sadie turned to see a boy of no more than eleven years old standing in front of her, his features pulled back into a grimace. He was dressed in a blue jacket, a plain T-shirt, jeans, and a brand-name hat – clothes from the Trainer Department Store. He clutched two pokéballs in his hands, and four more were attached to his belt. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]I challenge you to a battle, right here and now!" He pointed a twitching finger to Sadie. She had never been confronted in this manner before, and was unsure of how to respond. As always, Rena beat her to it. She crossed her arms and stepped forward, until her face was inches apart from the boy's. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Look kid, we don't have time for your battling nonsense! What we're doing is ten times more important. So tell that poor little Chimchar that he's not gonna get any today!" Rena met the boy's grimace with her own, causing him to step back. He looked at her for a few seconds with tearful eyes, then ran away sobbing.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]You didn't have to make that poor kid cry," Sadie teased, watching as the boy's cries grew into screams. He tripped a few times on his untied shoes, then disappeared behind a corner. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Trainers have no dignity whatsoever!" Rena said as they resumed their walk. "They just go up to any random person and challenge them to a battle right then and there!" [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]You want to be a trainer one day, if I remember correctly."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Yeah, but not like them! They're idiots! Or, as they say it, noobs."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Noobs? Is that even a word?" Sadie giggled. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Rena shrugged. "Trainers, like I said before." They entered a quieter part of the hallway, in which the roar of the trainers was considerably muffled. The door labeled O-16 was right next to a broom closet. A card slot was attached to the area where a handle should have been. Sadie slid the card key into the slot, and the door opened. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The room, just like the nurse had said, was rather small. It was built in a rectangular style, with two beds separated by a glass table. The floor was shiny and reflective, and the curtains matched the soft pink of the walls. They were drawn to reveal a beautiful slice of the Oreburgh landscape. Sadie dropped her backpack onto one of the beds and sat down, eager to rest her tired feet. A small TV stood on a table in front of her bed, with the remote perched on top.[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]This seems like an okay place," Rena admitted, taking the bed beside Sadie's. The room was in good condition, and there was a constant breeze of cool air from the vent on the ceiling. The only damage Sadie could detect were the walls, which bore the signatures of countless trainers who had stayed here before. They wrote things like 'Number one trainer!' and 'Pokemon League, Dec. 1992'. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Why do you think people complained about this room?" she asked, leaning against the backboard of the bed. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]No clue... hey, let's try calling my mom again." Rena lifted the black receiver and quickly dialed her mother's number. She held the phone to her ear for a few moments, only to slam it down again. "No answer again! This is getting really annoying."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Let me try."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie took the phone into her own hands and dialed again, paying attention to every key her finger touched. She brought the phone to her ear, and gave a satisfied smile when she heard it ring. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]See? You just have to dial slower." Rena remained silent, and lay back down on the bed. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie twiddled with the phone cord as it rang, anticipating Regina's merry 'hello' any second. She crossed her legs, and uncrossed them. She looked around the room, sighed, and played with her hair. For a long time, all she could hear was ring ring... ring ring....[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Then she finally came to her senses. A minute had passed, and the phone was still ringing. Evidently, Regina would not pick up. With a groan, Sadie slammed down the phone and leaned back against the headboard. [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]Well?" Rena asked.[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Sadie had to collect her thoughts for a moment before answering. "It's really weird... it just kept ringing. There was no operator voice or anything. Just... ringing," Sadie shrugged. "It's like she's getting the call, but she's not around to answer it."[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]She probably lost her phone again," Rena groaned. "We'll call tomorrow, okay? I'm starving!"[/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]We can't get lunch. We have no money..." [/FONT]

"[FONT=Georgia, serif]So? We can't starve! Let's go back to the hallway and battle that poor kid. I hear trainers give you money if you win their battles."[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]A few seconds passed before Sadie answered. "Okay." [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, serif]The girls rose in unison, putting on their shoes and gathering their pokéballs. Sadie locked the door behind them, leaving the room silent and empty.[/FONT]

Bay

Years
I enjoyed Lisa's appearance there. Oh gosh, I soooooooo remember Lisa freaking out when she went in the Pokemon Center. Priceless. XD;

Hm, the disappearances got more interesting with the disappearances with Lisa's sister and Rena's mom (or so it seems). Trouble afoot! D:

I find it weird the Pokemon Center won't allow coordinators to use the services for free. I think coordinators should have the same privileges as trainers since they have to travel for contests (heck, in the games and anime contests are somewhat farther than gyms) and train their Pokemon for them. Also, shouldn't Sadie and Rena be technically registered trainers already, considering both have Pokemon and having contest passes? In the anime and games, you registered as a trainer, but in anime, May and Dawn went the contest route.

I enjoyed this chapter a lot due to the mystery behind it and Lisa's appearance. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I find it weird the Pokemon Center won't allow coordinators to use the services for free. I think coordinators should have the same privileges as trainers since they have to travel for contests (heck, in the games and anime contests are somewhat farther than gyms) and train their Pokemon for them. Also, shouldn't Sadie and Rena be technically registered trainers already, considering both have Pokemon and having contest passes? In the anime and games, you registered as a trainer, but in anime, May and Dawn went the contest route.
The way I write the Pokemon world, I give it a more real world-like description. As in, you don't have to be a trainer to have Pokemon. Trainers in my fic-world are people who are serious about Pokemon and raise them competitively. Sadie and Rena are the 'regular teenagers', and aren't really competitive yet. Sadie isn't a full-time coordinator; she's just aspiring to be one. I didn't really get into detail in the first few chapters, but I'l have more of that along the way. Glad you mentioned it, though.

Thanks for the review, Bay!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Yeah, when I was proofreading it, I didn't pay attention to the whole "coordinators can't use Pokemon Centers" thing. But since a Contest Hall would probably have their own Pokemon healing stations within it, that could make sense. Plus, in my own fic, coordinators are looked down upon by trainers and vice versa *coughcoughCristinParmercoughcough*

Love how Lisa freaks out at the mere mention of a Pokemon Center :P Mind you, she doesn't mind healing her Pokemon there, but the rooms terrify her.
but one time I had to stay in one back home
Actually, since home for her is Anderson County, South Carolina, there wouldn't be any there. There were some in the region she traveled in, though (even though I spared her the horror of staying there :P )

Rena's mom is missing... I don't recall that in the original version, and I think it adds a bit of added suspense to the whole situation... Yet another mystery that needs to be solved.

And rude hospital employee is rude.

Well, I enjoyed this chapter, as it brings Lisa together with Sadie and Rena for the first time. I look forward to seeing what roles each will play as the crisis that looms over Sinnoh plays out.

Till next chapter!

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
Since a coordinator's Pokemon doesn't really get hurt, there's no need for Pokemon Centers for coordinators.

Rena's mom is missing... I don't recall that in the original version, and I think it adds a bit of added suspense to the whole situation... Yet another mystery that needs to be solved.
In the first version, I didn't even mention Rena's parents :P Major plot hole ftw.

In the next chapter things will get a bit more complicated... but like I said, I have a really good plan for how things should work out. See you next chapter! :)

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
CHAPTER 8
[FONT=Georgia, serif]
After the incident with the Lunar Wing, life in the hospital seemed to speed up. Dalton was no longer in his hospital room for most of the day. Instead he was on the second floor, rushing from room to room, waking patients by the order of the doctors. Just like the first girl he saw, the patients' bodies were wracked by convulsions. Occasionally, they murmured incoherently. As the Lunar Wing glowed, they were eased into a peaceful sleep and woke within a few hours. [/FONT]

Dalton was allowed into the ultra-clean laboratory from time to time, where the Lunar Wing was under constant observation and testing. The hospital halls were teeming with scientists from around Sinnoh, all carrying stacks of data and papers.

Just a few days ago, the Lunar Wing was just a piece of colored rock. Now it was a hot topic.

Dr. Christopher dropped by occasionally, keeping him up to date with the news about the Lunar Wing. Apparently, the lab had fully and completely analyzed its properties, and even managed to derive a good-sized sample. Still, they hadn't been able to make a medicine from it yet, which Dr. Christopher mentioned with sagging shoulders.

One morning, he entered Dalton's room in a joyous mood, scribbling something on a clipboard while humming to himself. He ended the line with a flourish, and turned his smile onto Dalton.

"
That's it! You're set to go!" the doctor said, snapping the clipboard shut.

This caught Dalton by surprise. "What do you mean, I can go now? Like, check out?"

The doctor smiled brightly. "Yep! Greg has your backpack at the front desk. Let's go!"

The lobby was still empty and quiet. The noise of the hospital was significantly muffled here, which Dalton liked. Greg's chair was turned away from the computer, so the man sat facing them.

"
Here are your things," Greg said, lifting Dalton's backpack with a grunt.

"
We have your rifle, a bottle of water, and an energy bar as a little gift. Oh, and we also put the Lunar Wing in there. We've taken care of all the sleeping patients, and the lab can't get anything else from it," he said.

"
There might be more sleepers outside of this city. It'll be up to you to find them, Dalton," Christopher said from behind.

Dalton nodded in thanks as he was handed his backpack. It was considerably light, and he hoisted it onto his shoulders with ease. He looked around the empty room, suddenly unsure of what to say.

"
Well... I guess that's it. Thanks for everything, guys."

"
You're the one we should be thanking! Because of you, half the patients in here are cured!" Dr. Christopher beamed. "Before, we had absolutely no way of taking care of them. We couldn't let them out of our sight because their hearts were still beating, and we couldn't ease their pain because we weren't sure if they were feeling any! We were in quite a pickle."

"
Where are you planning on going now?" asked Greg, his face once again visible from behind the computer screen.

"
Snowpoint City," Dalton answered, and both men raised their eyebrows.

"
That's pretty far away. I must say, good luck on your travels, Mr. Rogers."

"
Thanks. Good luck to you guys too." Dr. Christopher smiled slightly as Dalton backed out of the room. He gave them a final wave before turning around. The figures of the two men vanished behind the doors, and that was that.

These people have really done a lot for me. I should have at least brought them a present or something... but what would they have wanted anyway? A new stethoscope? Heh.

Calm, easy thoughts settled in Dalton's mind as he walked down the path. The hospital was bordered by thick trees that mostly sheltered the area from light. The air in the town was fresh and cool, despite its reputation for being a strict mining town.

The sun was shining high overhead when Dalton came across Helix Avenue, the street nearest to the hospital. He was surprised to see that there were no paved roads in Oreburgh, and that the cars and pedestrians were content to move across plain dirt paths. No one seemed to notice that he was dressed in a military uniform and had a gun clipped to his belt, for there were people who were dressed even more heavily. Hikers walked amiably with large pickaxes and thick vests. Others were clad in mining boots, their hard hats still clipped to their necks.

Dalton walked past several blocks of trees and earthquake-resistant buildings, until something familiar caught his eye – a Pokémon Center.

I might need a place to stay before I can get a good train ticket out of here... these Pokémon Centers are free, I think.

But the nurse on duty wasn't as kind as Dalton had hoped. The second he entered the room and made to approach the front desk, she called out, "There's a fee for non-trainers, sir." She had said this rather loudly, causing several bystanders to snicker.

"
I just need a place to stay. How much will it be?"

The nurse sighed. "Twenty dollars for the room, and an extra fifteen if you want to benefit from our trainer-only services." She barely paused for breath before continuing, "And no weapons are allowed inside the Pokémon Center."

"
I'm a soldier," Dalton said, pulling out his military I.D from his backpack. He slapped it on the surface of the table, and immediately followed with a sum of twenty dollars.

The nurse examined the card under a special light, then handed it back to him. She bent down under the counter for a moment, then drew herself up with a card key. "Your room is O-23. They've been having some air conditioning problems in that part of the building, so the windows are open. Have a nice stay." For some reason, he found it hard to thank her.

Dalton's room turned out to be rather modest, with clean floors and a coffee maker sitting on a table near the beds. The only thing that bothered him was the wallpaper – bright pink with white polka dots. The colors flashed and throbbed in his peripheral vision, and his head began to ache as he set down his backpack.

As he further explored the room, Dalton became aware of a slight breeze blowing through an open window above the beds. The curtains billowed around the area, as if affected by some unearthly force. While it remained open, he could hear everything that was going on outside, from chatter to car horns. Dalton made to close it at first, but then remembered the words of the nurse.

"
How the hell am I supposed to sleep with that?" he mumbled to himself, sinking down into the mattress.

That night, Sadie tossed and turned. Behind her closed eyes, her dreams were hazy and distorted...

A field of tall grass stretched out as far as the eye could see. Overhead, a black sky...

And then, out of nowhere, Rena appeared. Her red hair was twisting and writhing in the wind, covering her closed eyes. Her Buneary stood at her side, expression blank and unknowing. For a moment, Rena's body remained suspended in the air. Then, her eyes opened, and Sadie was gripped with unearthly fear. They seemed to penetrate to Sadie's soul, and shake her being.

"Coward! Coward! Look at you, your pokémon doesn't even listen to you!" Rena mocked, lips curling into a wicked smile.

"That's not true!" Sadie heard herself say. Her voice was hoarse and cracked. Just then, she became aware of something pressed against her leg. She turned, and saw the blurry image of her Luxio. Yellow eyes narrowed with spite. Slowly it bared its teeth.

"You're a coward, little girl! Give me a command! Do it!" Luxio urged in human tongue.

Her lips struggled to form words, but none would come. Would she stand there forever before she could muster an answer? Her body was entirely immobilized. She watched in agony as the scene slowly dissolved before her...

It was immediately replaced by a lonely road. She saw the scene from high above, two girls on their bikes pedaling furiously, as if to run from something. Then, she was on her bike, with Rena on her immediate left, and her path stretching out before her. It was filled with twists and turns. Ups and downs. But mostly downs.

"Sadie, hurry! She'll catch up to us!" Rena screamed.

"I don't want to! I don't want to go!" Sadie screamed. But for some reason, her legs kept turning the pedals. They pressed on, though she urged herself to stop. The force of her will was crumbling, leaving only an unknown destination. They rode faster and faster, until her surroundings were reduced to an indistinct blur.

"She'll catch us, Sadie! She'll catch us! We have to make it home!"

"No! Rena, no!"

And then she saw it. She had been fearing it all along, the final drop. There was no turning back. She had made her choice.

The road, the landscape, everything ended here. It was a fine line, separating her word from... that one. A white sky then a black sky. As the space between them closed, the bike sped up. Evil machines, carrying her to her doom...

The last image was of her mother. Broken, on a hospital bed. The anger was etched forever into the lines on her face.

"NO RENA NO!" The bike tipped forward.

When Sadie opened her eyes, she saw a dark room. Her mind went blank for a moment, then slowly eased into awareness.

It was only a dream... thank God...

The memories and emotions from the dream faded and blended, until Sadie could only recall a few short snippets. She slowly lifted herself into an upright position, and was affected with a slight dizziness. The digital clock on the table read 1:45. She let out a soft groan, then glanced towards Rena's bed. She was sound asleep, her breathing slow and relaxed.

I should try and get back to sleep... Sadie thought to herself, letting her head sink back into the pillow.

But before she could close her eyes, her motions were cut off by the slightest of sounds. It was a long, quavering note that was too deep for any human to utter. As the sound progressed, cold fear crept up her spine.

"
Rena, Rena!" Sadie hissed, nearly hysterical. She leaped out of bed and gently nudged her on the arm.

"
Rena!" she continued to whisper, until Rena stirred at the sound of her name.

"
What is it... what do you want?" she mumbled, slowly lifting her head.

"
Rena, wake up! I heard something..." Sadie whispered. Rena met this with a scowl.

"
Oh great. Another premonition... What did the noise sound like?" she finally said.

"
It was really deep, and it sounded kinda like... eep."

Rena was silent for a few moments. Sadie could almost picture her expression at the moment, blank and incredulous. Then, Rena sank back into her pillow. "I'm not in the mood for a horror story right now, Sadie."

"
But it sounded so weird! It was like... eeee-eeee-eeep, and it echoed and stuff!" Sadie did her best to recreate the sound, but Rena didn't seem interested.

"
Sadie, I'm friggin tired! Go deal with the sound yourself, I want to sleep."

Sadie was prepared to reply when the noise cut her off, that same ominous vibrato. It was louder this time however, and sent a rattle through the building. Sadie could feel it through the carpet – a steady rumble that suggested a shifting world.

"
There! There it is!" she exclaimed. "And it's louder than before! That means it got closer!"

Rena did not respond this time, but pulled the covers over her head. Sadie sank back into her own bed in dismay, her head tilted slightly in the direction of the window. The sky was pitch black, but she could still see the faint outlines of trees and buildings in the background. A quiet night. Then, far off in the distance, something shifted. It was subtle yet clear, like a single leaf displaced from a group. Sadie felt her skin go numb.

"
There's something outside... I mean it, I saw something!" this time, she couldn't stop the words from leaving her mouth.

"
It's probably some idiot trainer who thought it was a good idea to let his pokémon out at night. It'll go away. Now let me sleep!"

But soon, the silence was sheared with another inhuman screech. It was like a spear through the walls of Sadie's mind, a hair-raising screech that made her grit her teeth. Through the disturbance, she could barely hear the rustle of blankets as Rena got to her feet.

"
You have got to be kidding me!" she nearly screamed, throwing a glance at each of the windows, then to Sadie. "Where did you say you saw the person?"

Sadie pointed a shaking finger to the window above her bed, where the night remained as still as ever. Her gaze lingered on the window for a moment. When she turned back around, she was surprised to see Rena already at the door with her shoes on and the card key in hand.

"
I'm giving this dude a piece of my mind," she explained, each syllable carrying the weight of her frustration. "What kind of deranged moron lets his pokémon out at night?"

Sadie sighed, trying to calm the quakes that still wracked her body. "N-no. Not a good idea, Rena. What if it's... you know... something dangerous? I don't want to risk it... Look, I'm sorry for waking you up, but we should really tell someone about this. The management should know! They can deal with it!"

"
Put on your sneakers, and lets go!" Rena demanded, and Sadie began to slip on her sneakers with shaking fingers.

The door opened to a silent hallway. There were no windows here, which left her surroundings almost pitch black. Sadie could barely distinguish Rena's outline as she slowly locked the door.

"
We'll use the back door," she hissed, and Sadie felt her arm jerk forward.

Sadie made a silent rule to remain two paces behind Rena the entire time, and listen to the faint echo their steps made in the narrow passage. Her shoulder brushed the wall, as an anchor to keep her from getting lost. They finally came across a single door, which was labeled as the emergency exit. Rena pushed on the bar, and accompanied it with a forceful kick that opened the door to its full extent.

When Sadie stepped out of the building, she found herself in an empty lot bordered by an iron fence. The still air was frequently disturbed by a bone-chilling breeze that carried with it a sense of danger. Or maybe she was just imagining it.

The second they got outside, Rena began pacing around the bare terrain, hands on hips and mouth moving with inaudible words. She frequently stared out at the surrounding buildings, waiting for something to happen.

Several moments passed by in silence, but the scenery remained unchanged. Rena returned with a shrug.

"
Well, the noise is gone. See, I told you it was just some idiot trainer and his pokémon. And you were going all paranormal and stuff..." Rena began to turn around, but something stopped her.

"
Was that... a person?" she asked, slowly turning to face the backyard. She slowly approached the picket fence, and Sadie was immediately by her side.

"
What, what did you see?" she demanded, no longer able to control her shivering.

Rena's eyes narrowed as she surveyed the landscape. "I don't know, but it looked like a -"

BANG!

The sound of a gunshot rang in Sadie's ears, making her jump with surprise. Instinctively, her eyes darted from left to right, but she could see no change in her surroundings.

"
What was that?" her friend exclaimed, eyes widening.

"
It sounded like a gun... I told you someone was here!" Sadie shrieked. Then, in a much lower tone, she added, "We have to get back inside... what if there's a mass murderer out there or something?"

Rena did not respond. She was leaning against the fence, her grip tight around the bars. Her gaze remained fixed on a location off in the distance.

"
Rena..." Sadie began, but she immediately silenced her.

"
Look!" Rena pointed. Sure enough, Sadie could see a silhouette amongst the trees. It was unmistakably a human. Sadie drew in a breath, and felt Rena tense next to her. Though she wanted to run, Sadie found herself rooted in place, unable to move and unable to scream.

The figure drew closer, until its features became more pronounced. First came the tips of black flats accompanied by a pair of white pantyhose. As the legs walked on, Sadie saw that they were connected to the hem of a blue dress. Through the overhanging branches, she could make out a green cardigan and long brown hair.

When the girl approached them, her expression was marked with surprise.

"
Lisa?"

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Interesting chapter with the whole dream sequence and everything... very creepy and bizarre, but in a good way :P And then the mysterious noises outside... where are they coming from and what do they mean? I don't think Lisa's the cause, knowing her character firsthand, but who knows... Dalton's got a gun and he's still in town... maybe he was the one who went BANG!

Wow, a lot of suspense here, with the weird going-ons here in Oreburgh, and they've awakened Sadie. Rena, Lisa, and who knows who else. What's the cause of all the commotion?

Needless to say I like the spooky aspect of the chapter and the many questions it raises. Maybe next chapter will have the answers..

Great chapter!.

Haruka of Hoenn

Rolling writer
Years
I got very good help with my dream scene on SPPF. And yes, the next chapter definitely will have all the answers :) I love writing all these spooky scenes. They're just really fun to write, with Sadie's scardiness and Rena's stfu faces... The next chapter will be intense, but I'm not telling you anything else >:0

Thanks for the review, DP!

Back