• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

vB has lost my business

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    Okay, I was annoyed when they uped their fees earlier.

Well, now they've decided to up them again.

Look at the joke.

The personal level of use for vB has pretty much dried up. I was willing to fork out the $80 a year - then, I grumbled about the $100. But really, nearly $300, even for a lifetime license? That's absurd, and I can't see spending that money all at once, especially for a product that's been so sparcely updated in recent years.

Years
    Wow, that's a rip off! And look at 4.0's screenshot of the index, it's ugly IMO. That's why I like IPB, it's cheaper, and it looks better with every major update. vB has looked the same, since like 2.0 lawl.

Years
    Yeah, I'm with you Greg. :/ 4.0 is not only extremely hideous but it's also extremely overpriced, and for those of us (like PC) who invested in the addons while on 3.x, we're basically screwed over.

We're talking about what to do about it right now. Staying on 3.8 permanently is out of the question for obvious reasons, and switching to other software was discussed but it's also out of the question. At this point it looks like we're going to be upgrading to the publishing suite so we don't lose blogs (and the CMS functions will be completely ignored), and then completely redesigning the master template from the ground up.

It'll probably be months after the release, but PC'll eventually be using 4.0. Blah.
    Yeah, I can't imagine what it will be like for you guys. It's so stupid that you have to pay considerably more for something as minuscule as blogs and a CMS. That's what turns me off about the paid boards like vB and IP.Board, having to buy extra stuff. That's why I just buy the forum license, and pray that someone makes a free addon/plugin/mod that does the same thing, only not as good of course.

Years
    It'll be a nightmare. We have so much custom code running backend right now and such a huge number of styles to convert... in addition to having to entirely redo the master template. Ugh. XD

And yeah I know what you mean. :/ I don't like the direction forum software is going lately overall. I admin a big board that runs IPB 3.0 and I find it to be a headache, not to mention ugly (not as ugly as vB 4, but eh. XD Not much is.)

MyBB is good software if I ever start a forum in the future, I guess. I doubt I ever will though.

They don't care about their customers. They know most large forums run vB, and they want to make it hard for those people to keep their forums running like they're supposed to.
    I use IPB 3.0 on PE, and I think it looks fantastic compared to 2.3.x(last time I used IPB) and a definite improvement to 2.2.x and under. MyBB is wonderful in terms of customization, my gaming forum runs MyBB and PE used to, hell PE has been on InvisionFree, IPB 1.3, vB, IPB 2, MyBB, phpBB3, MyBB again, IPB 1.3 again, MyBB again, IPB 2.3.1, nothing, MyBB once more, and now back to IPB. So believe me, I know what a pain it is to change forums, especially then because they didn't have all the fancy converters they have now. I just hope PC's management figures this out so there's a smooth transition into vB 4

Years
    I don't think you need to worry, Jelsoft knows what they're doing. I'm sure it won't be much different than 3.8, it just looks like a new skin, some minor coding edits, and a cms thrown in for good measure.

Years
    I don't pay much attention to vB, sure it's a nice piece of software, but when I had a license, the support was terrible, I basically got yelled at when I asked for help. We can't say for sure how hard it will be to upgrade PC fully to 4.0, not much is known about it yet, just some screenshots, and they can be deceiving.

Years
    We know for sure that every single template, hell, the entire templating system (including logic and variables) have been redone. That means every single theme on PC is broken, and a good 90% of our hacks. That alone is enough to make the upgrade hard.

On top of that, like I said, we're redoing the entire thing. :/ So yeah, with what little we already know, it'll be hard.

Seems people are already starting to get pissy on their forums lol! They messed up, big time. It seems for one dude, to upgrade it will cost him $250, but he can get a new license for $235. And it seems nobody likes the new crap theme either.

Tyler

PHP Scripter
    Years
    vB 4.0 isn't something I would buy... But I kinda do like the new style. xD Tho, I do think its ridiculous that they recoded everything and upgrades are to costy. I noticed there are 2 versions, one with the CMS and other without. I would more likely go with the without a CMS since to me I think people using CMS's are very lazy and can't update there code and blah blah blah.

Seeing PC looking like 4.0 is gonna be really weird since I'm so use to what it is now.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I kind of wonder why we can't stay on 3.8.x, but at the same time, I kind of know. If it weren't for people figuring out how to hack a forum, we'd probably stay on 3.8.x. Am I right?

I really do not like 4.0's look. I dislike how they have the "Welcome, xxxxx" thing.

I though VB made the username the link to the profile for convenience purposes. :/

Years
    If they were smart they'd keep releasing security updates for 3.8.x, but they aren't. And another thing that pisses me off about vB and IPB, you pay so much to use it, and then you have to pay once again to be able to remove the copyright. MyBB let's you remove it, they just won't give you support.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    I agree that's too much. It depends how much your forum is worth to you in the end.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    alskgldg

They're trying way too hard to be fresh, new, and different with this. :/ Some of this is just ugly, especially the tables in the index (what is with that little footer thing under each forum?) and the What's Going On?. Header seems a little better, I guess.

Sweet mother of pearl.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
    I don't like how vB4 looks, however I'm sure with the rewrites it will run a lot smoother with better features as well. I do not like the price though.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
    I actually like the style, and was excited about it... until I saw the price. =_=

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I've always been more of an IPB guy :p

Even though I've admin'd several vBs, I've never actually thought of buying a license of my own just because of the cost.

MyBB has worked pretty flawlessly for me, besides getting hacked 2 or 3 times.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Damn... gives me second thoughts about upgrading... I don't see why most people prefer ipb >< If vB keeps this up, I just might go back to MyBB considering you can script just about anything for it.

Back