• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Frost Raven

Years
  • Frost Raven (one-shot POV, Flight Into The Night/Apocalyptic Dawn tie-in)

A/N: "Frost Raven" is from Sabrina's perspective.

Disclaimer: "Frost Raven" is rated PG 13. Pokémon is © Game Freak and Nintendo, 1995-2009. All other characters are © Kyuu-chan.

Frost Raven

1991-2012

I am Sabrina Ramona Barrett. But if you so desire, you may call me Frost Raven. Most Psychics are born, not made. However, there seems to one exception to that age-old rule of the Telepaths. Listen well to my tale and don't interrupt!

I was born in the Summer of nineteen ninety one, to Alexis and Rodney Barrett. My mother had turned cold and distant after her trust was shattered by a childhood friend. In turn, it seemed, I inherited not only my mother's withdrawn and icy personality but her psychic abilities as well.

For a period of time in nineteen ninety three, Mum experienced a build-up of psychic energy which was trapped in her brain. We didn't know that, of course, until she collapsed and had to go to the Saffron Hospital for intensive care. It was there that the doctor told us she'd had a stroke related to her abilities. He also had a private conversation with Dad, but I tapped into my powers and heard what they were saying. The fact the doctor sensed that Mum wouldn't make it would be what caused my inner-self to split into two halves.

Her bed was located on the first floor. A flowering cherry tree blocked most of the view from her double-glazed window, but the room was light and airy nonetheless. She lay peacefully on her back, her head supported by the tilt of the bed and a cluster of plain white pillows.

My mother was dressed in a medical gown and her arms, which lay to either side of her, were bare from the elbow down. Some kind of breathing apparatus was plugged into her nose and she appeared to be connected to a machine that was silently monitoring her heartbeat in waves, though the exact point of contact was hidden by the gown.

Dad approached her first. He said, "Hello, dear," and stroked his hand across her forehead. When she didn't respond, he turned to the vase of flowers on her table and began to extract any dead leaves or stems. "This must be odd for you," he said, as I came up and peered at my ailing mother. "Do you remember that your mother is the Gym Leader of Saffron?"

I nodded and lay the back of my hand against Mum's temple, smiling as I did so.

"What's the matter?" Dad asked.

"She's dreaming of a better future for Kanto. Take her hand. I'll show you."

Mum was always dreaming of a brighter outlook for the region; it's as if she knew Kanto would one day be overrun by Team Rocket and, thus, she thought further ahead to when it was peaceful again.

Although his expression suggested he was a little unsure, my father slid his fingers over my mother's knuckles, surprised at how stiff they were.

"Now mine," I continued, reaching across the bed.

The instant my father touched me, his mind was set free on a stunning landscape of forested beauty and very modernized, classy cities. Watching over it all were two large birds. Distinguishing herself as none other than Ho-oh, the first closed her graceful and sizeable wings as she landed, her many hued feathers leaving a mystical trail of rainbow with every descending flap. She cried loudly as she stood on the grassy ground, opening her yellow arc-shaped beak. The phoenix had black accented eyelids and bright golden eyes, glinting with pure happiness.

Her companion – a huge bird-like leviathan – flapped his gigantic, arm-like wings as he came down to the ground. His downward direction caused a tornado-like wind to appear beneath him with every gust of his mighty wings. A loud, haunting cry came from the creature as he landed, and his elongated white tail was tipped with two black, pointy feathers. The sea guardian had two backwards facing black feathers over his eyes and his black eyes radiated as much exhilaration as Ho-oh's did.

Muttering angrily under my breath, I looked into my father's eyes. He had not seen my eyes like this before and shuddered slightly as the piercing orbs bore into him like lasers. As if they were staring at his soul, searching for something. My eyes could be compared to a black hole, threatening to engulf everything in its path.

The room was dark. There was little sound. My anger at Mum's vision swiftly increased and, because of my rapid emotional spike, a forceful wave of psychic power rushed from my body.

Somewhere on the outside edge of their entwined feelings, a machine began to beep.

"Alexis?" Rodney asked, projecting his worries into his thoughts.

"It's time I was off, Rodney," she replied, speaking as if she could see him.

From far away, came the sound of people running. With that, Alexis Barrett breathed her last. Rodney squeezed his wife's hand and let her go. The vision broke. Almost immediately they were bundled aside by a nurse and a young doctor.

"Her heart's stopped," the nurse said.

"Call a team. We'll need a defibrillator – now," the doctor replied, pulling the covers off Mum's chest.

"No, you will leave her." Dad's sternest voice, despite the situation, came from the doorway.

Everyone turned to look at him. "She is at peace. Let her go. I am Rodney, Alexis' husband." His gaze ran the length of the figure in the bed.

The doctor checked the monitor, looked at Alexis, stared at Rodney and obediently accepted the situation.

My father turned away with tears in his eyes. Mum was no more.

It was immediately after Mum's death that my personality divided itself into two. One part was that of the child I wanted to be again, and the other half was a cold, calculating older female who loved to manipulate people.

Nineteen ninety four through to nineteen ninety six were the hardest two years of my father's life. As a single parent, he battled valiantly to make sure I was well looked after. What he didn't like was how I remained icily distant, how I acted like I was a brick wall, knowing full well that my pretences of ignorance made him lose more hope every single day. In the end, he gave up, and told me that I was becoming far too dangerous. Leaving me in the care of his younger sister, he proceeded to leave the city of his birth and, with private methods, trained his Pidgeot, Hypno and two of his Eeveelutions – Espeon and Flareon – in an undisclosed location. He said it was more of a safety option for him, as he didn't want to have anything to do with me ever again.

In the three years leading up to my eighth birthday, I began collecting my Pokémon from around Saffron City. An Abra was the first to join me as I searched for strength, and would go on to fully evolve into Alakazam; whereas the next of his kind was quite satisfied to stay at his second evolutionary stage, but more on him later. The four of them were loyal to me, yet I should point out that they bickered amongst themselves as well.

Having the qualities of a leader, this Abra always seemed to be chosen first. He'd been attacked by an aggressive Spearow one time for simply being in the avian Pokémon's territory and the bloody bird left him with a scar over his right eye. Upon evolving into Kadabra, the injury somehow reached further in and rendered him unable to see in that eye. So though he was a one-eyed Psychic type, his heightened powers gave him a distinct advantage over other opponents.

Further training the year after that saw him as a vision-impaired, yet very crafty Alakazam.

For the duration of the year in which my Kadabra evolved, I heard rumours that a criminal organization called Team Rocket was being set up. The man who created it was known as Giovanni Walker and he was the leader. After a bit of inquiring, I learned that the syndicate went in order as thus: The leader, three Commanders, next was the Admins, the R&D team and finally the lowly Grunts.

Team Rocket's hierarchy, and the fact that I could be a Commander, appealed to me. However, I decided to join later, as I was too young at the moment. Giovanni was only able to take three Gym Leaders to act as double agents, but I knew he knew I would join eventually. Two of those Leaders were Lt. Surge, of the Vermillion City Gym, and Fuchsia's Koga – who also happened to be a ninja.

Thus I have detected a psychic manifestation born this year. I am proud that another Telepath has come into the world. It is only a baby, so I can not determine how strong they will end up being or if they will use their powers for good or evil.

I am reassured that the four of my Pokémon are more than strong enough to handle any level competitor. My Venomoth is exceedingly contented to be owned by an actual Psychic. He's generally the last to be picked when it comes to battles, and that's because of his laid-back attitude. In his swarm, he was apparently unconcerned about any troubling issues the other Venonat and Venomoth might have had. Realistically, I assume this was what caused his Venomoth mother to approach me and, out of uneasiness, gave her son away.

Kadabra was very courageous in the fact that he fought off a couple of wild Weepinbell who had threatened to overwhelm me with their Poisonpowder technique. I congratulated him for protecting me, but it seemed his pride went to his head, because all he ever did after that was contest Alakazam's leadership.

Mr. Mime is the subdued one on my team, preferring to be the type who only talks when necessary. Even in the small group she belonged to, she was always the loner. She trusts me with her life and looks up to her team-mates although she won't admit it. The humanoid creature is of the opinion that battling is not interesting, but still competes to please me.

Two thousand and one to two thousand and three was when I learned that my deceased mother had written a will with myself as the sole inheritor of the Saffron City Gym. I was quite surprised and the child half of me wanted to break down and cry. My other side prevented that from happening, however, which left my body trembling from the despair and seething with anger at the same time.

It took a bit of time to recover from the experience but, after I did, I issued a challenge to any Pokémon trainers and declared the Gym re-opened. As expected, trainers flocked to my Gym in order to battle me. Most walked away with fainted partners and defeated expressions on their faces, but there were the lucky few who did overpower me and earned the Marsh Badge.

The year after that, of which I'd turned thirteen, I joined Team Rocket and met Lt. Surge and Koga. Old Blaine Infer, the Cinnabar Gym Leader and third Commander, introduced me to two codenamed Rocket members – Lady Grey and Crimson Lightning. Lady Grey revealed her true name to be Celeste Silverini, and that she was also the leading scientist of the organization's R&D team. She went on to say that she'd created Crimson Lightning as an exact copy of a redhead girl's sister.

Through Ross, an Admin of Giovanni's, I stumbled across the fact that Celeste had given a woman – called Fiona – psychic powers. It was here that the long-standing rule of the Telepaths had been broken, and I felt violated. Science was outlawed from being used to create my kind; if one was destined to have supernatural abilities, then they should be born as such, not be victims of a science experiment!

Throughout all of this, Crimson Lightning was silent and only spoke once to say she trained Fire and Electric Pokémon. I focused my abilities, but was shocked when I discovered a strong mental wall around Bethany's mind. Inwardly, I smiled devilishly. Mental walls could be broken if attacked enough, so I kept that as my plan in order to learn what secrets Miss Swift was hiding.

From the years two thousand and five to two thousand and seven, my whereabouts to the Kantonian Team Rocket members was unknown. I had, in fact, travelled to Johto to converse with the Rocket forces over there. It was there that I met Pandora and Apollonir, two humans who weren't whom they appeared to be.

Apollonir put his head at an angle, his green eyes glaring at Pandora from his tall frame. His slicked back hair was the whitest of white, with a tinge of grey about it. A professional-looking white shirt and same colour formal trousers was his outfit. He wore a gold belt to support his pants and yellow boots protected his feet.

"Pandora..." he began effortlessly, as though he was skating on ice. "Remember your place. Now tell me who this is."

Like Apollonir, Pandora was also very tall. She turned her back on him, placing her right glove-covered hand in the pocket of her white trousers. Running the fingers of her other hand through her straight white, with purple foils hair, she eyed him as her head faced back slightly. The woman had a body-building look about her, aside from the fact that she was in white attire. It was a clean pale coloured shirt which had cerise shoulder pads, a pair of white trousers with two mauve stripes, and an amethyst scarf.

Her eyes bore a hole into Apollonir's glare, as she considered what to say to him. As she observed Apollonir, they had a particular glow about them, the red in them becoming intense even under the black protection of her sunglasses.

She turned to face him properly, allowing her knee-high boots – black leather with white fronts, to make a 'clop thunk' noise.

"It is not your place to tell me my place, Apollonir. You are the one who needs to learn their rank in this world. As for your statement, this is Commander Sabrina – one of our Kantonian allies. Respect her, for you are of a lower rank than she is."

With his face reddening during Pandora's lecture, he finally protested. "That's preposterous, Pandora! I'm the leader here, have you forgotten that?"

Exhaling a small snort of contempt, Pandora managed to keep her calm. "You may think that, but in reality, you are not." She turned her attention to me. "Please Sabrina; you may come through into my office."

As I followed the woman into her office, I wondered what was occurring between the two. "What is your reason for inviting me into your office?" I questioned Pandora.

"As you may already know, due to your incredible psychic abilities, Apollonir and I are not of pure human blood." Pandora warmly explained.

"You're Legendaries, I know. What of it?" My response was abrupt.

Pandora overlooked my snappy answer. "I was one of the seven High Legendary council members, with Apollonir being the Highest of the High. The seven High Legendaries were far from satisfied at how Apollonir ruled the land, so the council decided to overrule him.

Apollonir and I moved here, assuming human forms while we were at it. I became the leader of this region's Rocket forces; though I let Apollonir still think he is the boss."

"I see," I replied. "Who were the other six High Legendaries?"

"Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Cresselia and Darkrai."

"You're Palkia, right? And Apollonir must be Arceus?" I queried, feeling confident I was right.

Pandora nodded. "That's correct on both accounts."

"Catch me Celebi..."

I thought back to how I eavesdropped on that short, simple statement only a couple of weeks ago. It had been uttered by one of the Johton-based Team Rocket Commanders, her name was Athena. Her hair was crimson in colour, with a short slicked back section at the top of her head and her fringe was the opposite. The Rocket uniform she wore was white, with a black throat area, black sleeves, belt and trim on the bottom. Even the white footwear she adorned was of high-heel quality, dangerous to walk around in really.

But putting Athena aside, my stay in Johto was at an end, so it was time for me to go back to the region of my birth. Sticking a 'Keep Away' note on Athena's mental image, I felt it was necessary for Giovanni to be told of this threat.

It was immediately after I returned that Giovanni assigned me to find a certain red-haired boy. Using my abilities, I was able to lock onto the twelve-year-old's aura and found him at Pallet's memorial cemetery. Teleporting back to my boss, I observed as he had a brief conversation to the child, and then I was told to take him back. I did so, wondering what chance of success the pre-teen had.

The beginning of two thousand and eight was when Team Rocket took in an Abra and gave her to me. They said it was for the purpose of training and making her mentally stronger. I didn't waste time in the fact that I told the Abra to address me as Sabrina. Our training sessions lasted for hours.

By the beginning of January two thousand and nine, I told Giovanni I was quitting the organization, in order to reform. He wasn't pleased with my decision, but nevertheless let me go. From the training I had given her, the female Alakazam had learned to fight alone if the need arose. As I exited the Rocket headquarters, which were located in Viridian City, a fairly new Admin – by the codename of Nighthawk – was given the Psychic fox.

Since I renounced my position at Team Rocket and successfully reformed, I still secretly hope that no-one learns of my involvement in the criminal syndicate. The heart of my child half aches, wanting to forget the past, but I know that will never happen.

These last three years leading up to two thousand and twelve have been uneventful for me, as far as other incidents are concerned. I am still the residing Gym Leader of Saffron City, now with an equal par of wins and losses; I'm guessing that's because of my former alliance with Team Rocket.

However, I've heard rumours flying around Kanto that Team Rocket's had a resurrection. If that were to be true, and I'm desperately hoping it's false, then my region of birth is in for very dark times. Then again, there are also reports that the Rising of the Chosen has come about due to the syndicate's revitalization.

I seriously hope the Rising Chosen can do something to stop the inevitable forces of darkness that Team Rocket will send out.

Will they be strong enough?

Can they control their powers in time?

Should I pray that the Telepath I sensed being born in nineteen ninety eight will be with them?

If I believe that the Legendaries can organize themselves, will their power be enough to stop the dissenting Zapdos and Team Rocket combined?

Fuyu

The answer is at the top...
    Years
    • she/her/they/them
    • Home
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Interesting. I see you followed the manga's idea but gave Sabrina a chance to reform. Very good plot despite a few moments where I lost focus of where the story was going. It's very good. You've definitely taken other people's criticisms to heart.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thought about the using the manga as a reference. It is actually pretty good reference material.

Overall I found the story to be rather crisp and clean in terms of transition. I can really see the improvement. XD Good job.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Hmm... I'm not sure what to say, I couldn't follow it completely. But I do like what I saw. Your grammar was pretty good, better then mine, actually, and I didn't really see too many problems with this. I would like to see more of this written, if you're still writing this.

Years
  • Okay, this story is really awesome, and I want to point out a few things! :D

I was born in the Summer of nineteen ninety one, to Alexis and Rodney Barrett. My mother had turned cold and distant after her trust was shattered by a childhood friend. In turn, it seemed, I inherited not only my mother's withdrawn and icy personality but her psychic abilities as well.

Way to open up like this, it only tells the important details and doesn't go tooo indepth, which usually is a good thing in long stories such as this.

For a period of time in nineteen ninety three, Mum experienced a build-up of psychic energy which was trapped in her brain. We didn't know that, of course, until she collapsed and had to go to the Saffron Hospital for intensive care. It was there that the doctor told us she'd had a stroke related to her abilities. He also had a private conversation with Dad, but I tapped into my powers and heard what they were saying. The fact the doctor sensed that Mum wouldn't make it would be what caused my inner-self to split into two halves.

Her bed was located on the first floor. A flowering cherry tree blocked most of the view from her double-glazed window, but the room was light and airy nonetheless. She lay peacefully on her back, her head supported by the tilt of the bed and a cluster of plain white pillows.

My mother was dressed in a medical gown and her arms, which lay to either side of her, were bare from the elbow down. Some kind of breathing apparatus was plugged into her nose and she appeared to be connected to a machine that was silently monitoring her heartbeat in waves, though the exact point of contact was hidden by the gown.

So this is where it talks about her mother and how she knew she got the psychic powers in the first place. So, in the last part are you saying that she is on a monitor or it was LIKE she was on a monitor. If it was truly that way, then okay! If she really isn't, nice use of metaphor! Sounds like her mother was a very dark, creepy person :P

Dad approached her first. He said, "Hello, dear," and stroked his hand across her forehead. When she didn't respond, he turned to the vase of flowers on her table and began to extract any dead leaves or stems. "This must be odd for you," he said, as I came up and peered at my ailing mother. "Do you remember that your mother is the Gym Leader of Saffron?"

I nodded and lay the back of my hand against Mum's temple, smiling as I did so.

"What's the matter?" Dad asked.

"She's dreaming of a better future for Kanto. Take her hand. I'll show you."

Mum was always dreaming of a brighter outlook for the region; it's as if she knew Kanto would one day be overrun by Team Rocket and, thus, she thought further ahead to when it was peaceful again.

Although his expression suggested he was a little unsure, my father slid his fingers over my mother's knuckles, surprised at how stiff they were.

"Now mine," I continued, reaching across the bed.

The instant my father touched me, his mind was set free on a stunning landscape of forested beauty and very modernized, classy cities. Watching over it all were two large birds. Distinguishing herself as none other than Ho-oh, the first closed her graceful and sizeable wings as she landed, her many hued feathers leaving a mystical trail of rainbow with every descending flap. She cried loudly as she stood on the grassy ground, opening her yellow arc-shaped beak. The phoenix had black accented eyelids and bright golden eyes, glinting with pure happiness.

Her companion – a huge bird-like leviathan – flapped his gigantic, arm-like wings as he came down to the ground. His downward direction caused a tornado-like wind to appear beneath him with every gust of his mighty wings. A loud, haunting cry came from the creature as he landed, and his elongated white tail was tipped with two black, pointy feathers. The sea guardian had two backwards facing black feathers over his eyes and his black eyes radiated as much exhilaration as Ho-oh's did.

This is my favorite part of the story so far because (Well, I love Ho-oh and Lugia)
    but I would like to point out that you never quite said if she took her father into her mom's dream or if this was reality. If you did mention this, forgive my attention span....
    But I like the way you describe the two birds, very detailed.

Muttering angrily under my breath, I looked into my father's eyes. He had not seen my eyes like this before and shuddered slightly as the piercing orbs bore into him like lasers. As if they were staring at his soul, searching for something. My eyes could be compared to a black hole, threatening to engulf everything in its path.

This is where I stop for now....

Back