• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen 3rd Generation Storyline Questions.

Melash

Back for now.
Years
  • I actually have several questions concerning the 3rd Generation (Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald) and I would like to see if anyone here could provide me with the answer.
    1. Where exactly is the Hoenn region in relation to the Johto region? Basically in which general direction....
    2. When did R/S/E take place in relation to any of the other games?

SCV058

The Able Vet
    Years
  • Hoenn is placed southwest of the region of Johto.
    As for time slot- I would say possibly after the events in the Johto Region (because of more pokes and thats how it was in the anime)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I would agree with both of the above.

However, i think it may be that they're all set in the same time, as the only one that actually mentions time compared to previous games is G/S/C/HG/SS, which are 3 years after R/B/Y/FR/LG

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • well hoenn is located southwest of japan (turn the japan map sideways and you can see it)

and im not completely sure about the timeline cause im going by the manga, it takes like a few years after the johto arc and then heads to FRLF
    (please correct me if im worng, some dude blew chunks of steam on youtube cause he wasnt sure about the timeline either)

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    and im not completely sure about the timeline cause im going by the manga, it takes like a few years after the johto arc and then heads to FRLF
    (please correct me if im worng, some dude blew chunks of steam on youtube cause he wasnt sure about the timeline either)
    I'd say you're pretty much correct about the timeline, and the strongest indicator of that would be
    Spoiler:

However, I suppose it could work both ways.

Hatenko

Hiya!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2010
    I thought that Kanto games and Hoenn games took place at the same time, while Johto and Sinnoh five years later...

Years
  • I believe that RGBY/FRLG, and RSE (And supposedly Colosseum) take place three years before GSC/HGSS and DPPt. With XD taking place five years after Colosseum, that would make XD take place two years after gens 2 and 4.

Proof:

RGBY/FRLG and RSE do not require a time machine to trade with each other.

GSC/HGSS and DPPt take place the same time because of the Red Gyarados report at the start of D/P/Pt (which must've happened before Gold/Crystal/Kotone captures/defeats the Gyarados), references to Elm's recent report on eggs, etc. It's important to note that RGBY/FRLG and RSE had next to no Johto references.

Last edited:

Melash

Back for now.
    Years
  • I believe that gens 1, and 3 (And supposedly Colosseum) take place three years before gens 2 and 4. With XD taking place five years after Colosseum, that would make XD take place two years after gens 2 and 4.

Proof:

Gens 1 and 3 do not require a time machine to trade with each other.

Gen 2 and 4 take place the same time because of the Red Gyarados report at the start of D/P/Pt (which must've happened before Gold/Crystal/Kotone captures/defeats the Gyarados), references to Elm's recent report on eggs, etc. It's important to note that gens 1 and 3 had next to no Johto references.
    That's actually quite interesting, good insight. Thanks for your answer.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I believe that gens 1, and 3 (And supposedly Colosseum) take place three years before gens 2 and 4. With XD taking place five years after Colosseum, that would make XD take place two years after gens 2 and 4.

Proof:

Gens 1 and 3 do not require a time machine to trade with each other.
    That is an incorrect statement. Generations 1 and 3 can't trade with each other.

FRLG is different to RBGY. If we look at the PokeSpecial manga, FRLG takes place several years after RBGY, hence the updated outfits, new areas and storyline.

So RS may take place at the same time as FRLG (Emerald actually occurs after FRLG), but it doesn't take place at the same time as RBGY.

Gen 2 and 4 take place the same time because of the Red Gyarados report at the start of D/P/Pt (which must've happened before Gold/Crystal/Kotone captures/defeats the Gyarados), references to Elm's recent report on eggs, etc. It's important to note that gens 1 and 3 had next to no Johto references.
    Even though there are numerous references to Johto in Sinnoh, I don't think GSC occurred at the same time as DPPt. Instead, I believe the references we see are in fact made towards HGSS.

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    That is an incorrect statement. Generations 1 and 3 can't trade with each other.

FRLG is different to RBGY. If we look at the PokeSpecial manga, FRLG takes place several years after RBGY, hence the updated outfits, new areas and storyline.

So RS may take place at the same time as FRLG (Emerald actually occurs after FRLG), but it doesn't take place at the same time as RBGY.

Even though there are numerous references to Johto in Sinnoh, I don't think GSC occurred at the same time as DPPt. Instead, I believe the references we see are in fact made towards HGSS.

In my opinion, we can't really compare the Manga with the games. I mean, in the games, FRLG are remakes of the games, RBGY, while in the manga, they are completely different stories in the same region. The remade games have the same story, with just differences in locations and version compatibility. So, technically, D/P/Pt DID occur at the same time as GSC, which is the SAME as HGSS. In any case, Emerald doesn't even come in over here as a separate timeline to RS, since only the story is edited, that too with minor changes. Thus, the Manga isn't really proof of the timeline, since in the manga, Emerald saga is after the FRLG saga. Also, the only components of the games that are similar to the Manga are the names of the Pokedex Holders, and the fact that legendaries can be caught. While the statement, that gen 1 and 3 are compatible is false, what that dude was trying to convey, was that pokemon games within a particular generation are in the same timeline. Also, later generation games require special methods to interact with the previous generations (e.g. Time Capsule, Pal Park).

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • Basically, Generations I and III take place at the same time, and Gens II and IV take place at the same time. Which is why the formers' main game was remade in the latter.

And you CANNOT compare the manga and the games, storyline-wise. They are completely seperate media, and thus completely seperate canon. Which is why Red in the end of GSC/HGSS is NOT the same Red from the manga.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • While all these theories are very logical, there's one detail that sort of confuses me, that is Jasmine appears in DPPt and Cynthia appears in HGSS so unless they invented a way to clone people how can they possibly be at the same time?

Years
  • And you CANNOT compare the manga and the games, storyline-wise. They are completely seperate media, and thus completely seperate canon. Which is why Red in the end of GSC/HGSS is NOT the same Red from the manga.
    Agreed, this is not the manga forum, I'm posting info recieved from the games. Also, I'm considering Kanto based games as gen 1, and Johto based ones as gen 2 here.

Anyways, I am having second thoughts about RGBY/FRLG and RSE occurring at the same time. There's this nice little braille message in FRLG's Dotted Hole. Here's what it says...

Dotted Hole said:
    "Let the two glittering stones, one in red, one in blue, connect the past. Two friends sharing power open a window to a new world that glows. The next world waits for you."

Let's see... The two glittering stones are the Ruby and Sapphire, obviously. "The past" could be referring to RBGY/FRLG, or RSE (Maybe even Colosseum and XD.). It could even refer to them both being "the past", the past being before GSC/HGSS.

"Two friends sharing power" is simple. It's referring to trading. The part about opening a window to a new world that glows, and the next world that awaits you may be referring to GSC/HGSS or DPPt, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    While all these theories are very logical, there's one detail that sort of confuses me, that is Jasmine appears in DPPt and Cynthia appears in HGSS so unless they invented a way to clone people how can they possibly be at the same time?

Cynthia flew on Garchomp. And Jasmine left after you beat her in Hg/Ss?(you can't rematch instantly).

Also, noone knows where Shinto ruins are.Apparently they're north.But So's Sinnoh (it's mentioned in the anime). So Shinto Ruins could be connected to the bottom of Sinnoh, as Sinnoh's the only place on Serebii's pokeEarth that's definitely out of place.

And while Time Capsule (Whatever that is) implies your game is taking place after another, Pal Park can just mean you were only pretending to be a n00b, or doing what Ash does, and now you're getting your pokemon from where you left them

Years
  • Also, noone knows where Shinto ruins are.Apparently they're north.But So's Sinnoh (it's mentioned in the anime). So Shinto Ruins could be connected to the bottom of Sinnoh, as Sinnoh's the only place on Serebii's pokeEarth that's definitely out of place.

And while Time Capsule (Whatever that is) implies your game is taking place after
    Actually, fans have discovered that each region is based off a different area in Japan. It's not official, but if it is true, the pokemon world looks like this...
    Spoiler:

I guess they could be in Sinnoh, but that seems a bit too far north.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    First off, you have to understand something about the manga. Satoshi Tajiri once stated that the Pocket Monsters Special series is closest to what he imagined the Pokémon world to be: "This is the comic that most resembles the world I was trying to convey." (from Wikipedia).

The two can be compared, because the PokeSpecial manga is closest to what the creator of the series envisioned the Pokémon universe to be like.

I mean, in the games, FRLG are remakes of the games, RBGY, while in the manga, they are completely different stories in the same region. The remade games have the same story, with just differences in locations and version compatibility. So, technically, D/P/Pt DID occur at the same time as GSC, which is the SAME as HGSS. In any case, Emerald doesn't even come in over here as a separate timeline to RS, since only the story is edited, that too with minor changes. Thus, the Manga isn't really proof of the timeline, since in the manga, Emerald saga is after the FRLG saga.
    FRLG is more than just a remake. Included in those games were the Sevii islands, which is in fact the location of an arc in PokeSpecial which takes place after Ruby/Sapphire and before Emerald, and is in fact linked to both.
    Emerald was released after FRLG, you know that right?
    Also, the only components of the games that are similar to the Manga are the names of the Pokedex Holders, and the fact that legendaries can be caught.
    What? There's heaps more similarities. Have you even played the games and/or read the manga (all of it)? Even the outfits are the same.
    what that dude was trying to convey, was that pokemon games within a particular generation are in the same timeline.
    That's what I said, thus each generation is a separate timeline, regardless of remakes.
    Also, later generation games require special methods to interact with the previous generations (e.g. Time Capsule, Pal Park).
    Those game play mechanics have nothing to do with anything, at least for the most part. You already are told that RBGY happened three years before GSC in the game, so the Time Capsule doesn't exist to prove that, it simply exists to allow you to trade with older games. Pal Park too is just another way to get your Pokemon.
    Basically, Generations I and III take place at the same time, and Gens II and IV take place at the same time. Which is why the formers' main game was remade in the latter.

And you CANNOT compare the manga and the games, storyline-wise. They are completely seperate media, and thus completely seperate canon. Which is why Red in the end of GSC/HGSS is NOT the same Red from the manga.
    No, they don't. While the remakes are similar to their predecessors, they are different, and there is evidence that can be interpreted to show that they belong to different timelines.

Spoiler:

I can do whatever I want, you don't own me :P. They are not completely separate, as the two forms of media loosely share the same story. Yes, they may not be the same Red, but Red did go to Mt Silver in the manga (and Gold did follow him).

Perhaps I'm being to strict on something so ambiguous, so I suppose you can consider the previous games as smaller parts of the remakes. But by themselves, RBGY and GSC can't really be considered as part of the same timeline as their remakes in the third and fourth generations, respectively.
    Agreed, this is not the manga forum, I'm posting info recieved from the games. Also, I'm considering Kanto based games as gen 1, and Johto based ones as gen 2 here.
    But Kanto is in gen 1 and 3, and Johto in 2 and 4. If you mix everything up, everything will just get confusing. See below.
    Anyways, I am having second thoughts about Gens 1 and 3 occurring at the same time. There's this nice little braille message in FRLG's Dotted Hole. Here's what it says...

Let's see... The two glittering stones are the Ruby and Sapphire, obviously. "The past" could be referring to FRLG, or RSE (Maybe even Colosseum and XD.). It could even refer to them both being "the past", the past being before gen 2.

"Two friends sharing power" is simple. It's referring to trading. The part about opening a window to a new world that glows, and the next world that awaits you may be referring to gen 2 or 4, but I'm not sure.
    The events in Hoenn occurred slightly before the Sevii island events in FRLG. Giovanni picked up the glittering stones (which are actually parts of the shattered Red and Blue orbs of RS, and used them for his own purposes.

I don't see why you all are so insistent on separating the manga from the games. The PokeSpecial manga is the best thing about Pokemon, and furthermore, it goes into greater detail than the games, allowing us to get a better understanding of the game events.

I wonder how much of this made sense.

Years
  • First off, you have to understand something about the manga. Satoshi Tajiri once stated that the Pocket Monsters Special series is closest to what he imagined the Pokémon world to be: "This is the comic that most resembles the world I was trying to convey." (from Wikipedia).

The two can be compared, because the PokeSpecial manga is closest to what the creator of the series envisioned the Pokémon universe to be like.
    That quote hardly means anything. It doesn't deny the fact that the games and manga are both different canon. I personally think that the manga has a completely different timeline. PokeSpecial depicts RGB, Yellow, and FRLG as completely different stories, while the games have them being all the same, with a few minor details. Not to mention that the manga has key characters never seen before in the games, portrays people like the E4 evil, and only a few of the main protagonists even challenge gyms.

FRLG is more than just a remake. Included in those games were the Sevii islands, which is in fact the location of an arc in PokeSpecial which takes place after Ruby/Sapphire and before Emerald, and is in fact linked to both.
    Emerald was released after FRLG, you know that right?
    So you're saying FRLG is a different story than RGBY?

That's what I said, thus each generation is a separate timeline, regardless of remakes.
    If that's what you believe, then okay. But I personally think this theory is severely flawed. Doesn't the idea of the same exact events happening in Kanto multiple times sound a little strange? Wouldn't their be a mention of Team Rocket attacking earlier? Another important thing to note is all the changes to Kanto in GSC/HGSS. Did the caves "uncollapse" and did Cinnabar Island "unerupt" in FRLG?

No, they don't. While the remakes are similar to their predecessors, they are different, and there is evidence that can be interpreted to show that they belong to different timelines.
    See above.

I can do whatever I want, you don't own me :P. They are not completely separate, as the two forms of media loosely share the same story. Yes, they may not be the same Red, but Red did go to Mt Silver in the manga (and Gold did follow him).
    I seriously doubt that they share the same timeline. Remakes are just that; remakes.

FRLG is not a different story than RGBY. FRLG was created as a result of the first Gen 3 games lacking backward compatibility with Generations 1 and 2. There needed to be a way to get the Kanto pokemon.

The Sevii Islands? Just ways to get some Johto Pokemon, and some much needed extra content for the games. Giving FRLG the same replay value as RGBY would just be stupid.

Perhaps I'm being to strict on something so ambiguous, so I suppose you can consider the previous games as smaller parts of the remakes. But by themselves, RBGY and GSC can't really be considered as part of the same timeline as their remakes in the third and fourth generations, respectively.
    I don't quite understand what you're getting at here.

But Kanto is in gen 1 and 3, and Johto in 2 and 4. If you mix everything up, everything will just get confusing. See below.
    Okay then, my bad. I'll be sure to edit my previous posts.

The events in Hoenn occurred slightly before the Sevii island events in FRLG. Giovanni picked up the glittering stones (which are actually parts of the shattered Red and Blue orbs of RS, and used them for his own purposes.
    Wait, where does it say that in the games? I don't remember them being shattered. Brendan/May (Maxie and Archie in Emerald) returned them to Mt. Pyre, remember?

I don't see why you all are so insistent on separating the manga from the games. The PokeSpecial manga is the best thing about Pokemon, and furthermore, it goes into greater detail than the games, allowing us to get a better understanding of the game events.
    We seperate them for the same reason we seperate the anime from the games; they're different canon. This question was aimed to the games, not the manga or anime. The manga just takes ideas, and exoands on them. If GF ever says that PokeSpecial is canon for the games, I'll have different thoughts.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    1. Where exactly is the Hoenn region in relation to the Johto region? Basically in which general direction....
    Its right next to it.

2. When did R/S/E take place in relation to any of the other games?
    It took during the same time I would think

Arcta

Shiny Champion - Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2010
    b.u.m.p just here to help people bump :)

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • it´s simple and if you look in official sites (tough is not specifically), they say that game in kanto (whatever R/B/G---RF/LG we play) and R/S/E are suposed to ocurr at the same time, and tha jotho adventures and Sinnoh are in the same time, three years before the first ones.

And yes, i agree manga is a very fun activity but luckily for me, totally diferent to the game, because can you imagine play Red version and have to chose a bulbasaur has a started only because Red in the manga has a bulbasaur??? way to boring...

3rd Generation Storyline Questions. 3rd Generation Storyline Questions. 3rd Generation Storyline Questions. 3rd Generation Storyline Questions. 3rd Generation Storyline Questions. 3rd Generation Storyline Questions.

Back