The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Science & Technology
Help Uploading mp3 files to a site

Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

Old 1 Week Ago (6:12 PM).
Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a built in nightlight and everything.

Nature: Careful
Hey guys! What I'd like to know is the full breadth of options available for putting audio/music in a post.

This is the only way I know of right now:

[sound="Song title here"]link to an .mp3[/sound]

But the problem with that is that it only accepts links to webpages that are MP3 files. And most of us have our music either on our computer as files (that are not hosted on a web link), or on YouTube. Usually YouTube, to be honest.

Sure, I could link a YouTube video in its entirety, but that's way too tall and obtrusive, I would only do that if I could make only the play button and scrub bar visible.

So yes, I'm looking for more options when it comes to putting music in posts especially if there's some way to use YouTube links somehow.
(I know it's possible to download YouTube videos as MP3 and then take that MP3 and upload it somewhere, but MP3 hosting is much harder than image hosting ((there's no "Imgur for audio files" that I'm aware of)) and that would be a two-step process for every time I make an audio post. Hassle!)

Huge fan of Pokémon-only roleplay!

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (7:46 PM).

Nature: Jolly
Hi there!

Unfortunately, you are right that there aren't many ways to actually upload mp3 files online (like there is images to imgur). However, the only real suggestion I could offer at this point is that if you know someone who has webspace if you could perhaps ask them and see if they wouldn't mind hosting mp3 files on their server for you to link to and use.

If I (or anyone else) finds something else, then I'll let you know.
Old 1 Week Ago (7:58 PM).
infinity show we mean

Nature: Sassy
You could give mediafire a shot...
Old 1 Week Ago (7:58 PM).
Made of magic and a symphony of red dreams
Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
As far as uploading mp3s goes, you have a number of options. Apart from Soundcloud (which, assuming you want to upload something licensed, be sure to unlist it), you can use Dropbox, Google Drive, or various other storage sites'll work for you, especially if you want a seamless Drag 'n Drop means of uploading without ever having to even type in a URL (assuming they have desktop functionality).

I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
Old 1 Week Ago (9:00 PM).
the spirit of the fighter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
As far as uploading mp3s goes, you have a number of options. Apart from Soundcloud (which, assuming you want to upload something licensed, be sure to unlist it), you can use Dropbox, Google Drive, or various other storage sites'll work for you, especially if you want a seamless Drag 'n Drop means of uploading without ever having to even type in a URL (assuming they have desktop functionality).
I'd recommend dropbox, but public linking is gone so I don't know if embedding will work anymore. In addition, I once tried to do a song in a signature, and within hours I had my public links suspended because I had exceeded their 20GB bandwidth limit somehow.
Old 1 Week Ago (1:13 AM).
The aura guardian awakens....

It's worth giving http://clyp.it a look. It's like soundcloud, except login is entirely optional and it's a lot easier to embed. It's what I use for hosting/sharing audio and music.

LUCARIO

Old 1 Week Ago (6:26 AM).
toot toot

Just did a quick look online and there's this youtube mp3 site that gives you a direct mp3 link.
The base URL is
Code:
http://www.youtubeinmp3.com/fetch/?video=<youtube url here>
Old 1 Week Ago (9:36 AM).

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
It's worth giving http://clyp.it a look. It's like soundcloud, except login is entirely optional and it's a lot easier to embed. It's what I use for hosting/sharing audio and music.
The thing with that site though is that it is for creators of media and not a hub to just flat out upload MP3 files to for hosting. It'd be copyright infringement, unless the OP was the author of the content within the MP3 files.
Old 1 Week Ago (1:46 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dter ic View Post
Just did a quick look online and there's this youtube mp3 site that gives you a direct mp3 link.
The base URL is
Code:

oh hey this does really work, don't even need to visit the actual website, you really do just plug the Youtube URL into it

woo
Old 1 Week Ago (2:24 AM).
The aura guardian awakens....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsutarja View Post
The thing with that site though is that it is for creators of media and not a hub to just flat out upload MP3 files to for hosting. It'd be copyright infringement, unless the OP was the author of the content within the MP3 files.
yeah, clyp is only for original content and your own work - although I think the other mp3-upload sites (if they exist) have to follow the same copyright rules.

LUCARIO

Old 1 Week Ago (1:06 PM).
Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a built in nightlight and everything.

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dter ic View Post
The base URL is
Code:
Testing.

It's weird that that works, given that the URL does not end in ".mp3", and if you go to that URL, you can't actually hear the music from there. But it DOES appear to work in the code.

This is awesome, thanks very much. One more question: in the code, it goes sound="title here" but I can't find where that title actually shows up anywhere. Not even in mouse-over. What are those title words for then?

Edit: Ok, SOMEtimes it works and sometimes I have to refresh like five times before the audio player stops being greyed out. >.<

Huge fan of Pokémon-only roleplay!
Old 1 Week Ago (11:51 AM).
the spirit of the fighter

Nature: Brave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterglow Ampharos View Post
Edit: Ok, SOMEtimes it works and sometimes I have to refresh like five times before the audio player stops being greyed out. >.<
Yeah, sometimes web browsers don't take to audio players too nicely. It's trial and error it seems. I had the same occur to me on my music thread where some would load and others wouldn't.

Sponsored Links