Launchpad Where all good (and bad) ideas start. This is the Launchpad, where you can develop your small ideas, recruit help and form teams.

TrollandToad.com

Old December 29th, 2009 (9:43 PM). Edited December 30th, 2009 by RedYoshi.
Wah! Yoshi!

Ah yes... its another one of those Mario based Pokémon hacks.

For latest updates, click here

I. Intro

All right then! Let's begin. Hi I am Red Yoshi and this is my 3rd attempt at a Mario Based hack, the other two being remakes of Paper Mario. Well I've decided to attempt another one of these hacks, but this one has an original storyline unlike the other two which were basically set in stone.

II. Storyline

Note: To further understand the storyline you should have some understanding of the Mario series and a lesser known game named Ristar
    <------ Ristar

The story: Bowser has once again captured the Princess and it is up to Mario (Or Luigi) to rescue her! The game starts out on one of Bowser's Airships where you will battle your way to rescue her. After you've made your way to Bowser and are about to battle him, you are interrupted by a sudden crash! The guards on the upper parts of the ship then inform you and Bowser that a star shaped being has crash landed on one of the ships! So Bowser takes you up with him to investigate the wreckage left by this crash and discover that a star like being (Ristar) is found unconscious. Bowser decides that it is unimportant and kicks you and Ristar off the ship. You won't find out until later, but Ristar has come to Mario's planet to warn him of an impending danger. An evil Space Pirate by the name Kaiser Greedy has set his sights on the planet where Mario and Co. reside.

III. Features
    Super Mario Characters
    -That's right, Mario characters in a pokemon game.
    But it won't be all just Mario characters. I'll be sure to add in some surprises.

Ristar Characters
    -Of course, you can't have this game without Ristar characters, think of it as joining two separate universes into one giant one!

Side Scrolling + Overhead Rpg View (3D and 2D)
    - You can't have a Mario game without some side scrolling action, right? Of course, I should make clear that it won't be 100% Sidescrolling and that its also going to switch between 2D and 3D. It will be mostly 3D...

Long Storyline
    -The game will have a great amount of length.
    New Characters
    -There will be some new characters in this game that weren't in either of these series.
    New Side quests
    -This plus the original story plus minigames = Massive Gameplay
    New "Pokemon"
    -Well I wouldn't consider them to be Pokemon...
    New Areas
    -There will be areas that resemble old known places from the Mario series (Toad Town etc...)

New Bosses
    -There will be some new Bosses in this game with a whole load of new Sub Bosses.
    Many Enemies/Rivals
    -There will be a few "Evil" organizations, the main one will be Kaiser's Armada.
    Many Partners
    -You basically start out with 2 Partners, since Ristar joins you in the early stages of the game, that plus storyline partners that will join you and of course you can recruit enemies you encounter with "PokeBalls"
    New Music
    -This may or may not be obvious, but there will a huge load of new music. Nearly EVERY track in this game will be replaced, and there will not only be Super Mario music like one would expect.
    Mini-Games
    -I plan to add in a good amount of mini games which will help you out on your travels

Practically everything will be changed to make it look like a Mario game, but on a Pokemon engine

IV. MultiMedia
    Images

Some of the airship tiles and background tiles for the airship portion of the game.

Videos

Check out my Youtube Channel for other videos.

*I definitely need help with spriting and tiling*

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 29th, 2009 (10:12 PM).
    I Love C++

To be honest with you, pokemon is the WORST game to hack into a mario game. First of all, the whole environment is different, an overhead 2d game into a platformer, just doesnt work. Its like trying to use a Helicopter to go into super sonic speed or something... and the purpose of the games are totally different, mario has at least some sort of physics going on, but Pokemon has NONE. Its just easier to start your own game from scratch...
      Old December 29th, 2009 (11:42 PM).
      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
        The video looks good but how are you planning to make wild pokemon battles and trainer battles in platform game ?

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
        CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
        -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
        Old December 30th, 2009 (12:08 AM).
        Memento Mori
        • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
        Another Mario hack?
        This looks decent but still I don't really like the idea of remaking Pokemon to Mario.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
        Old December 30th, 2009 (12:12 AM).
        POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR

Im quite sure RedYoshi is not working on this hack anymore
          His last post in the thread was in february

Anyone interested in making Titlescreen or banners kindly contact me or post on the thread

Pokemon Sinnoh Quest
          http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=203273

SALIENT FEATURES AND SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:
          1) 385 Pokemon available in the game which are placed strategically throught the game i.e ALL Sinnoh pokemon and 85% of pokemon from Kanto,Jonto and Hoenn
          !!!!ALL ARE CAPTURABLE!!!

2) Some d/p Exclusive attacks added like Aura Sphere,Dark Pulse,Close Combat

Old December 30th, 2009 (1:40 AM).
          blink and you're dead
          • Crystal Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by rokrdude View Post
          That's where you are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very wrong. In his blogspot, his last update was last December 24, 2009. Did you even read the first post?

Anyways, I like the concept of this hack. You can change the OW of the player so that when he is going to a ladder he's climbing. That would work, right? Or maybe not. Good luck with this Yoshi!
          Old December 30th, 2009 (2:03 AM).
          POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Zelfier View Post

That's where you are very very very very very very very very very very very very very very wrong. In his blogspot, his last update was last December 24, 2009. Did you even read the first post?

Oops sorry i see he edited post today only so good luck with hack:D

Anyone interested in making Titlescreen or banners kindly contact me or post on the thread

Pokemon Sinnoh Quest
            http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=203273

SALIENT FEATURES AND SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:
            1) 385 Pokemon available in the game which are placed strategically throught the game i.e ALL Sinnoh pokemon and 85% of pokemon from Kanto,Jonto and Hoenn
            !!!!ALL ARE CAPTURABLE!!!

2) Some d/p Exclusive attacks added like Aura Sphere,Dark Pulse,Close Combat

Old December 30th, 2009 (3:04 AM).
            The Faltine

I had an idea just like this. I got the jumping working, and I added Thwomps (that sadly couldn't crush you). If you'd like I can tell you how I did it. And I think this one's going to stick. Good luck RedYoshi.
              Old December 30th, 2009 (6:54 AM).
              afc bournemouth <3

Nature: Calm
                Well, this is certainly an interesting idea. I immediately doubted your ability and the whole 'side-scrolling' features until I read the rest of the first post, when I changed my mind. ;

If you're still working on this, good luck.

SAW Entertainment | Brushfire's Anime List | And with a faint brush of fire...
                Old December 30th, 2009 (8:38 AM).
                Difference is everything...
                • Gold Tier

if you are going to use ladders for this then change the animation to a climbing animation
                Current Team:

In Terms of Hacking...
                Favorite ROM
                Skills
                Working On
                In Terms of Game Dev...
                Working On
                News
                I'm currently up for hire, for almost anything in ROM hacking, so just send me a PM.
                Old December 30th, 2009 (12:02 PM).
                Wah! Yoshi!

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by davidthefat View Post
                  To be honest with you, pokemon is the WORST game to hack into a mario game. First of all, the whole environment is different, an overhead 2d game into a platformer, just doesnt work. Its like trying to use a Helicopter to go into super sonic speed or something... and the purpose of the games are totally different, mario has at least some sort of physics going on, but Pokemon has NONE. Its just easier to start your own game from scratch...
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
                  The video looks good but how are you planning to make wild pokemon battles and trainer battles in platform game ?
                  The game will switch between 3D and 2D, so its going have the old Rpg overhead system and the side scrolling view from 2D platformers.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by rokrdude View Post
                  Yea, I'm not working on the Paper Mario one. This hack is totally different from Paper Mario

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Zelfier View Post

You can change the OW of the player so that when he is going to a ladder he's climbing. That would work, right? Or maybe not. Good luck with this Yoshi!
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Matteron (96) View Post
                  if you are going to use ladders for this then change the animation to a climbing animation
                  I need to figure out how to do this. Keep the regular up/down and add the climbing animations

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by H2O Turquoise View Post
                  I had an idea just like this. I got the jumping working, and I added Thwomps (that sadly couldn't crush you). If you'd like I can tell you how I did it. And I think this one's going to stick. Good luck RedYoshi.
                  Of course! I would definitely like to know since you can't have a "Mario" game without jumping .
                  Old December 30th, 2009 (12:05 PM).
                  Learning how to make mistakes

hmmm...mario? so won't this get boring after a while? i mean your walking around in some random place...no random koopa people u gotta jump on ect. I don't like the idea of mario merging with a pokemon game...also are you gonna kep the black background...

well whatever thats my opinion on the matter but other people think otherwise...and just a refresher the only reason most of us are here are over the similiar interests in pokemon(or hacking ). and this hack seems to miss all that old school pokemon fun

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                    Old December 30th, 2009 (12:09 PM).
                    I vill suck your Electricity..

It looks great so far, but... in your second image it looks like the trainer is walking in space.

Click on the Adoptables to level them up. Get one for yourself at: pokeplushies.com

NOTE: Unfortunately, there is a limit of 10 pictures. Please level these poor adoptables that could not get in my siggy:

Regola the Regal Pikachu

Buzzer the Elekid the PoKirby
                      Deathora the Carnodon
                      Old December 30th, 2009 (12:10 PM).
                      Wah! Yoshi!

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by 558122_DG View Post
                        hmmm...mario? so won't this get boring after a while? i mean your walking around in some random place...no random koopa people u gotta jump on ect. I don't like the idea of mario merging with a pokemon game...also are you gonna kep the black background...

well whatever thats my opinion on the matter but other people think otherwise...and just a refresher the only reason most of us are here are over the similiar interests in pokemon(or hacking ). and this hack seems to miss all that old school pokemon fun
                        This will still be a Pokemon Rpg-Styled game, and I forgot to mention earlier that the game will switch between 3D and 2D. The video with the black background was uploaded a little over 3 weeks ago on Youtube. The Screenshots with the Purpleish sky background is the most recent (I just haven't bothered releasing a video about it just yet). Of course, you are entitled to your opinion .
                        Old December 30th, 2009 (12:21 PM).
                        Learning how to make mistakes

kk, the purple looks better
                          but i can't help but notice the charachter is well...floating in the screen shot...explainations?

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                          Old December 30th, 2009 (12:35 PM).
                          Wah! Yoshi!

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Harry Blue5 View Post
                            It looks great so far, but... in your second image it looks like the trainer is walking in space.
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by 558122_DG View Post
                            kk, the purple looks better
                            but i can't help but notice the charachter is well...floating in the screen shot...explainations?
                            I didn't edit the overworld in the most recent screeny, and because the default overworlds in Fire Red are elevated one pixel up on their grid the Person is never touching the bottom of the tile. It is one pixel up and that pretty much explains why the person is "floating in space".

Here is a much better look at it. Notice how its not touching the bottom of the grid? You would get a better view of this in the Overworld Editor.
                            Old December 30th, 2009 (12:44 PM).
                            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                            O_O Red Yoshi's back. Three Cheers!

Well, since it's mario, I thing you should change the way the sprites walk and stand, because Pokemon is viewed at a 270 degree angle, kind of top downish so it would look like you're floating in the background if you were to use tiles from Mario since Mario is more of a 180 degree, aka, you can only see the side of his face.

I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
                            Old December 30th, 2009 (6:36 PM).
                            Wah! Yoshi!

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
                              O_O Red Yoshi's back. Three Cheers!

Well, since it's mario, I thing you should change the way the sprites walk and stand, because Pokemon is viewed at a 270 degree angle, kind of top downish so it would look like you're floating in the background if you were to use tiles from Mario since Mario is more of a 180 degree, aka, you can only see the side of his face.
                              Hip hip!....

Yea, I definitely need to change how the overworlds look and move. I still want to keep the 3D aspect so I'm guessing I'll have to use crappy Ruby stylized overworld sprites.
                              Old December 31st, 2009 (1:43 PM).

Nature: Naive
                                i could do some spriteing it's kinda fun but as long as its pokemon im not good with trainers
                                Old December 31st, 2009 (10:35 PM).
                                Wah! Yoshi!

@Blasto King

Awesome, drop a PM when you've got some spare time. Are you good with tiles?
                                  Old January 1st, 2010 (9:10 AM).

Nature: Naive
                                    i said im only good with making sprites as in pokemon battle sprites
                                    Old January 1st, 2010 (9:29 AM).
                                    Difference is everything...
                                    • Gold Tier

hey red yoshi, if i were u I would pm a mod to see if u qualify for the progressing hacks section, because scrap box is getting closed down.
                                    Current Team:

In Terms of Hacking...
                                    Favorite ROM
                                    Skills
                                    Working On
                                    In Terms of Game Dev...
                                    Working On
                                    News
                                    I'm currently up for hire, for almost anything in ROM hacking, so just send me a PM.
                                    Old January 1st, 2010 (11:18 AM).
                                    Wah! Yoshi!

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Blasto King View Post
                                      i said im only good with making sprites as in pokemon battle sprites
                                      Ahh, okay. Gotcha

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Matteron (96) View Post
                                      hey red yoshi, if i were u I would pm a mod to see if u qualify for the progressing hacks section, because scrap box is getting closed down.
                                      I don't qualify just yet since I need 2 more screenshots. That shouldn't be too hard
                                      Old January 1st, 2010 (1:32 PM).

Red yoshi I think I found a spriter I just gonna ask her I'll let you know if she'll do it. Oh and she doesn't have account here so I can't tell her name.
                                        Old January 2nd, 2010 (8:07 PM).
                                        Wah! Yoshi!

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Gold Man View Post
                                          Red yoshi I think I found a spriter I just gonna ask her I'll let you know if she'll do it. Oh and she doesn't have account here so I can't tell her name.
                                          Oh all right then, sorry for not replying much sooner..

Quick Reply