Progressing ROM Hacks This forum is for ROM hacks which are currently in production, but not yet finished. Come and find a ROM hack that's starting out, or post your own for others to see! For Pokémon/non-Pokémon hacks.

View Poll Results: Whose Overworld sprite do you want to see?
??? (The mysterious woman) 29 42.65%
Aster 14 20.59%
Kaius 12 17.65%
Lilah 4 5.88%
Sadie 3 4.41%
Vivi 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old January 16th, 2010 (2:29 PM). Edited January 16th, 2010 by XxAzaliaxX.
XxAzaliaxX XxAzaliaxX is offline
n00b hack trainer
     
    Join Date: Jan 2010
    Location: San Antonio
    Age: 25
    Gender: Female
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 10
    Hello! I'm very knew to hacks and yours was the first I tried. It was amazing!!! :D I can't wait to see what else happens.

    Also, I'm pretty sure this has been addressed, but the next hack you make, will we have to start from the beginning? D: I have some really awesome pokemon.

    I'm also going to reply the game so I can see if they're any problems :D Unfortunately I can't play it on mah PSP
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old January 17th, 2010 (1:12 PM).
    VGAura's Avatar
    VGAura VGAura is offline
       
      Join Date: Oct 2008
      Age: 26
      Posts: 61
      I would like to thank everybody for their feedback.

      About having to start over in the next demo, I’ll make it so you don’t have to start from scratch but if you do, there will be plenty of revised maps, dialogue, and scripts along with additional side-quests including one in the sewers that I had planned but didn’t manage to finish.
      Reply With Quote
        #28    
      Old January 18th, 2010 (6:28 PM).
      SonicBlazePlatinum's Avatar
      SonicBlazePlatinum SonicBlazePlatinum is offline
      /)^3^(\
      • Silver Tier
       
      Join Date: Oct 2007
      Location: Cloudsdale, Equestria
      Age: 21
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Relaxed
      Posts: 1,012
      Interesting. I wonder where you got the idea for the slums. It seems interesting to me.
      __________________
      Also known as SentryBronyPlatinum or Shadowbolt Pegasus.
      Reply With Quote
        #29    
      Old January 18th, 2010 (10:33 PM).
      chrunch chrunch is offline
      • Gold Tier
       
      Join Date: Oct 2009
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 1,349
      I'm too impatient to wait a year for the next release
      I'm really excited to find out what happens after the player "dies"!
      did you have to end the demo there?!
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #30    
      Old January 18th, 2010 (10:42 PM). Edited January 28th, 2010 by VGAura.
      VGAura's Avatar
      VGAura VGAura is offline
         
        Join Date: Oct 2008
        Age: 26
        Posts: 61
        Definitely

        After all, that was the best way I could think of to end the demo.
        End it with something suspenseful in the mini-chapter, otherwise it would just end with the player walking out of the warehouse, and nobody wants a boring ending like that.

        Anyways, I've been doing some spriting and, needless to say, the result didn't turn out the way I would have liked.

        It looks okay here but when animated the sprites look stiff and flat. I don't know what the problem is.


        I had a lot of color related problems with male Id so the final result just ended up with horrible colors.


        Female Id's pose is a little awkward. Also, how can I make her look more feminine.

        If someone with spriting experience would give me advice on how I can improve these, I would really appreciate it.
        Reply With Quote
          #31    
        Old January 19th, 2010 (5:23 PM).
        Weavile Gemini's Avatar
        Weavile Gemini Weavile Gemini is offline
        Some Ninja
           
          Join Date: Dec 2008
          Location: TX D:
          Gender: Female
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 31
          Hmm. Maybe you could give the female Id longer hair to make her look more feminine?
          I will say that I like the way you did both of their jackets.

          One question, is that thing on their heads a helmet or something else?
          __________________
          Fun hacks I support:




          Reply With Quote
            #32    
          Old January 19th, 2010 (7:21 PM).
          Chibi Robo's Avatar
          Chibi Robo Chibi Robo is offline
          of the entire epoch!
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Aug 2008
          Location: Cali
          Age: 21
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 853
          Ive played through the hack and I have to say it seems this hack is getting alot of hype. This kind of hack doesnt really fit in the pokemon genre. The hack would probably work out better as a completely different genre of game. Because right now it doesn't really seem to focus much on Pokemon. It has good scripts nonetheless. Though the mapping could use some major work. A Nintendo styled map would probably work out the best. The lack of new sprites or graphics really irritate me, since it sounds like this hack would need a lot of new graphics and your just using the default fr tiles (which are nice don't get me wrong) but the hack just needs some new sprites. Anyways Here's a list I recommend you improve on the game.

          • Focus the game more on Pokemon.
          • Work on maps (Nintendo mapping style preferably)
          • Get some new sprites
          Anyways its a better then average hack but not enough to keep me entertained.
          __________________
          Pair: Vrai
          Reply With Quote
            #33    
          Old January 19th, 2010 (8:25 PM).
          TB Pro's Avatar
          TB Pro TB Pro is offline
          Old-timer
             
            Join Date: Nov 2004
            Location: Midwestern USA
            Age: 22
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 2,739
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Chibi Robo View Post
            Ive played through the hack and I have to say it seems this hack is getting alot of hype. This kind of hack doesnt really fit in the pokemon genre. The hack would probably work out better as a completely different genre of game. Because right now it doesn't really seem to focus much on Pokemon. It has good scripts nonetheless. Though the mapping could use some major work. A Nintendo styled map would probably work out the best. The lack of new sprites or graphics really irritate me, since it sounds like this hack would need a lot of new graphics and your just using the default fr tiles (which are nice don't get me wrong) but the hack just needs some new sprites. Anyways Here's a list I recommend you improve on the game.

            • Focus the game more on Pokemon.
            • Work on maps (Nintendo mapping style preferably)
            • Get some new sprites
            Anyways its a better then average hack but not enough to keep me entertained.
            Ignore this. The maps are fine man. max likes ugly maps just like his face
            __________________
            --I'm a creepin'..
            Reply With Quote
              #34    
            Old January 20th, 2010 (11:04 AM). Edited January 20th, 2010 by VGAura.
            VGAura's Avatar
            VGAura VGAura is offline
               
              Join Date: Oct 2008
              Age: 26
              Posts: 61
              I admit that the game doesn't focus too much on Pokémon but the connection is there (one scene mentions that the protagonist is able to talk to a certain kind of Pokémon which becomes a significant fact later in the story) and I might as well say this now since the titlescreen won't be completed for some time. The cover Pokémon will be the Unown.

              Also, the plot is already written down and checked thoroughly for consistency so forcing any inclusion would just make it feel out of place.

              I'm mapping with the mindset of creating areas of the Pokémon world that are less traversed. I know that doesn't make any sense but I'm more or less experiementing for the time being.

              What I plan hope to do is find a style (and not just mapping either) different from Nintendo that also works. After all, its easy to mimic Nintendo's formula because, well, it works but we've seen that already. I'm doing my best to mix up the standard formula so the player's experiences with this hack are different than the regular Pokémon game.

              I didn't plan on changing the graphics but the sewers, at the very least, needs a custom tileset.

              All main characters will receive new sprites, in fact, you can check out the drafts of the protagonist's sprite a couple posts up and yea, they are wearing helmets.
              Reply With Quote
                #35    
              Old January 22nd, 2010 (6:48 PM).
              Mastercomp Mastercomp is offline
                 
                Join Date: Nov 2008
                Gender:
                Posts: 14
                Where does the demo end at because the guard wont let me in to silverstone? Also i found a grass area in the Ancient Grove past the Timeless Grove that you just cant walk on but its not major or a big deal just wanted to point that out.
                Reply With Quote
                  #36    
                Old January 22nd, 2010 (7:10 PM).
                Znood Znood is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2009
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 1
                  i just finished demo 1 of this pokemon game and it is my favorite game of all time now!
                  i love this game dude, the story is awesome and better than all the pokemon games i've ever played
                  keep up the amazing work! ur so awesome for coming up with this = D
                  Reply With Quote
                    #37    
                  Old January 22nd, 2010 (11:27 PM).
                  chrunch chrunch is offline
                  • Gold Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2009
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 1,349
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Mastercomp View Post
                  Where does the demo end at because the guard wont let me in to silverstone? Also i found a grass area in the Ancient Grove past the Timeless Grove that you just cant walk on but its not major or a big deal just wanted to point that out.
                  No...
                  The Demo ends After you "Die"...
                  __________________
                  Reply With Quote
                    #38    
                  Old January 24th, 2010 (7:20 AM).
                  Roxasabridged's Avatar
                  Roxasabridged Roxasabridged is offline
                  Lucariowner
                     
                    Join Date: Feb 2009
                    Location: Scotland
                    Age: 24
                    Gender:
                    Posts: 387
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Mastercomp View Post
                    Where does the demo end at because the guard wont let me in to silverstone? Also i found a grass area in the Ancient Grove past the Timeless Grove that you just cant walk on but its not major or a big deal just wanted to point that out.
                    There's a path between two houses near the first guard (The path's behind a small blue-roofed one I think)

                    Anyways, nice work on this. Normally, I get bored of 3rd gen hacks pretty quickly, but this has me hooked.
                    __________________
                    Come check out my Yugioh Videos!
                    3DS FC: 1521 - 2681 - 0996
                    Reply With Quote
                      #39    
                    Old January 24th, 2010 (11:39 AM).
                    slashedsickness's Avatar
                    slashedsickness slashedsickness is offline
                    I'm a master-debator!
                       
                      Join Date: Jan 2010
                      Location: southwest Georgia, United States
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Calm
                      Posts: 21
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by VGAura View Post
                      I admit that the game doesn't focus too much on Pokémon but the connection is there (one scene mentions that the protagonist is able to talk to a certain kind of Pokémon which becomes a significant fact later in the story) and I might as well say this now since the titlescreen won't be completed for some time. The cover Pokémon will be the Unown.

                      Also, the plot is already written down and checked thoroughly for consistency so forcing any inclusion would just make it feel out of place.

                      I'm mapping with the mindset of creating areas of the Pokémon world that are less traversed. I know that doesn't make any sense but I'm more or less experiementing for the time being.

                      What I plan hope to do is find a style (and not just mapping either) different from Nintendo that also works. After all, its easy to mimic Nintendo's formula because, well, it works but we've seen that already. I'm doing my best to mix up the standard formula so the player's experiences with this hack are different than the regular Pokémon game.

                      I didn't plan on changing the graphics but the sewers, at the very least, needs a custom tileset.

                      All main characters will receive new sprites, in fact, you can check out the drafts of the protagonist's sprite a couple posts up and yea, they are wearing helmets.
                      You should stick with what you're doing! I have not actually played it yet because I always read every post before downloading and testing. I didn't want you to get too bummed out by that loser that likes the same old pokemon game with a few new graphic changes. I am a pokemon fan, but seriously not much has ever changed about the games. I would LOVE to see a full-featured game like what you are doing! I would help out but I am a spriting noob and a programming illiterate. I am a fan though! If you could add a lot to it I would donate every cent of my PayPal account to you! Your pokemon game seems a lot better than anything else I've seen.
                      Reply With Quote
                        #40    
                      Old January 24th, 2010 (1:47 PM).
                      Roxasabridged's Avatar
                      Roxasabridged Roxasabridged is offline
                      Lucariowner
                         
                        Join Date: Feb 2009
                        Location: Scotland
                        Age: 24
                        Gender:
                        Posts: 387
                        Finally got round to finishing the demo. Love those references in there (Especially Chester. A. Bum).
                        The interactions and characters are awesome too. Especially Lilah and her remark for when you try and get past a homeless person blocking the path...
                        __________________
                        Come check out my Yugioh Videos!
                        3DS FC: 1521 - 2681 - 0996
                        Reply With Quote
                          #41    
                        Old January 25th, 2010 (10:14 AM).
                        Lati-Fan95's Avatar
                        Lati-Fan95 Lati-Fan95 is offline
                        I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
                           
                          Join Date: Dec 2009
                          Location: Wherever Latias and Latios are
                          Age: 22
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Quiet
                          Posts: 242
                          I just gotta say... This hack is one of the most awesome hacks I've ever seen! I git hooked by the stroy in the first minutes of gameplay! In every town I really asked myself what will happen to Id next and I was always even more hooked in when a important event (dream) happened! I also felt quite uneasy or sometimes a little scared in the sewers everytime I read the things the guys were saying (depends on what they said, the guy that always said something about Pay Day scared me a bit)... And the ending is soo epic, I can't wait for the next beta release (hope it'll be earlier than you said...)


                          And the new OWs: The male one is great, he suits to the story with his look and in a special way, he looks pretty cool! I just think that the female hero looks too male... Maybe longer hair and a more female outfit, and it'll be alright!
                          __________________
                          Please feed my Pokes:
                          Reply With Quote
                            #42    
                          Old January 27th, 2010 (5:03 AM). Edited January 27th, 2010 by DDk.
                          DDk DDk is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Jan 2010
                            Posts: 4
                            Never mind got passed it.
                            Reply With Quote
                              #43    
                            Old January 28th, 2010 (2:43 PM).
                            Mastercomp Mastercomp is offline
                               
                              Join Date: Nov 2008
                              Gender:
                              Posts: 14
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Roxasabridged View Post
                              There's a path between two houses near the first guard (The path's behind a small blue-roofed one I think)

                              Anyways, nice work on this. Normally, I get bored of 3rd gen hacks pretty quickly, but this has me hooked.

                              Thanks but i just figured that out a day after my post on here..lol. Also i wanted to say the the demo was the best i seen yet out there and i like how it ended.

                              VGAura you put hard work and effort in this demo. I wish you the best for the next one. Keep it up with the good work and thanks for letting me play your ideas and skills.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #44    
                              Old January 28th, 2010 (3:43 PM).
                              giradialkia's Avatar
                              giradialkia giradialkia is offline
                              • Crystal Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2009
                              Location: Ireland
                              Age: 23
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Timid
                              Posts: 1,563
                              Those overworld sprites are nice. I can't really tell from my mobile screen, but if they look stiff when they walk, make sure the stepping frames are one pixel lower than the stationary frames. That makes their heads bob while walking, which may be your problem..
                              Although on closer inspection (again, on my small screen) you appear to have done that. I don't know, just insert them and when people see them animated for themselves, you'll get more accurate feedback. I wouldn't worry too much, they seem fine to me.
                              As for the trainer sprites, I like Female Id, don't touch her:D Male Id.. Make him a bit more blue rather than that gray/black. (don't even redo the sprite, just do a palette change). It should be fine, then.
                              I actually remember playing this demo before, I wasn't sure. It was really great. I found it a tiny bit annoying that everytime you met the person you were looking for, you'd have to keep going, but it wasn't that bad, and I'm lazy, so that's the only thing I'd say against it, but don't pay it any heed. Keep going the way you're going. It's no surprise to me that this is in the Showcase. Best of luck
                              __________________

                              I'm working on an album of Pokémon-inspired music. Check out the Soundcloud link if you're interested!


                              This is my Soundcloud | | This is my bandcamp
                              Reply With Quote
                                #45    
                              Old February 1st, 2010 (2:58 AM).
                              SonicBlazePlatinum's Avatar
                              SonicBlazePlatinum SonicBlazePlatinum is offline
                              /)^3^(\
                              • Silver Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2007
                              Location: Cloudsdale, Equestria
                              Age: 21
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Relaxed
                              Posts: 1,012
                              Will sprites for trainers like Bum be changed too? I like the choice of starters you made: Machop, Ralts, and Seedot.
                              __________________
                              Also known as SentryBronyPlatinum or Shadowbolt Pegasus.
                              Reply With Quote
                                #46    
                              Old February 11th, 2010 (12:41 AM).
                              chrunch chrunch is offline
                              • Gold Tier
                               
                              Join Date: Oct 2009
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 1,349
                              Any progress or updates, VGAura?
                              You haven't been posting lately.
                              __________________
                              Reply With Quote
                                #47    
                              Old February 11th, 2010 (3:56 PM).
                              VGAura's Avatar
                              VGAura VGAura is offline
                                 
                                Join Date: Oct 2008
                                Age: 26
                                Posts: 61
                                I was in such a good mood yesterday with the Gen V reveal and all, I've decided to revamp the female protagonist sprite.

                                I just got this done and I'm actually satisfied with the results this time.

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #48    
                                Old February 11th, 2010 (6:00 PM).
                                Sarcastic Prince's Avatar
                                Sarcastic Prince Sarcastic Prince is offline
                                Starting anew...
                                   
                                  Join Date: Aug 2007
                                  Location: Kwun Tong Mountains
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Timid
                                  Posts: 3,066
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by VGAura View Post
                                  I was in such a good mood yesterday with the Gen V reveal and all, I've decided to revamp the female protagonist sprite.

                                  I just got this done and I'm actually satisfied with the results this time.

                                  Looks pretty cute. The red hair looks incredibly nice.
                                  Oh, and by the way, I'm gonna download this now.
                                  __________________
                                  I am now an anime dubber, cover singer and a fan of anime. I can still apply as a translator and grammar corrector, though.
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #49    
                                  Old February 12th, 2010 (2:22 PM).
                                  chrunch chrunch is offline
                                  • Gold Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Oct 2009
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Posts: 1,349
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by VGAura View Post
                                  I was in such a good mood yesterday with the Gen V reveal and all, I've decided to revamp the female protagonist sprite.

                                  I just got this done and I'm actually satisfied with the results this time.

                                  Me too.
                                  And the sprite looks great!
                                  Good work on it.
                                  __________________
                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #50    
                                  Old February 12th, 2010 (2:35 PM).
                                  The Cynic's Avatar
                                  The Cynic The Cynic is offline
                                  ♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
                                  • Silver Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Dec 2008
                                  Location: Pavonis Mons
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Quirky
                                  Posts: 851
                                  I'm liking the way this hack is very story-oriented and actually has an original story rather as opposed to hacks which just throw you against "an evil team the wants to capture a legendary". Well done, those screenshots really are very appealing. Your map layouts are terrific!

                                  I just want to point out that choosing Seedot gives you an advantage above the two other starters. Dark is immune tp psychic, not just resistant.

                                  Keep it up!
                                  __________________

                                  Reply With Quote
                                  Reply
                                  Quick Reply

                                  Sponsored Links
                                  Thread Tools

                                  Posting Rules
                                  You may not post new threads
                                  You may not post replies
                                  You may not post attachments
                                  You may not edit your posts

                                  BB code is On
                                  Smilies are On
                                  [IMG] code is On
                                  HTML code is Off

                                  Forum Jump


                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:06 PM.