• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird folder won't delete.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
So I've had this weird folder for quite a while now. I haven't a clue where it came from, or how it even got on my PC. I've tried 2-3 programs specifically for deleting undeleteable folders/files and they haven't worked. This is an external hard drive so "reinstalling" isn't going to solve anything, and I have no where to put 400 gigs of data. It's not THAT big of a deal, but I really want to get rid of it.. As you can see it has a character which isn't allowed on windows, So I really don't know how it possibly got onto my computer? (for anyone wondering, the blanked out folder is an inappropriate band name)

21041366.png

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
So I've had this weird folder for quite a while now. I haven't a clue where it came from, or how it even got on my PC. I've tried 2-3 programs specifically for deleting undeleteable folders/files and they haven't worked. This is an external hard drive so "reinstalling" isn't going to solve anything, and I have no where to put 400 gigs of data. It's not THAT big of a deal, but I really want to get rid of it.. As you can see it has a character which isn't allowed on windows, So I really don't know how it possibly got onto my computer? (for anyone wondering, the blanked out folder is an inappropriate band name)

21041366.png
I can try and write a batch script that force deletes the file, but I need to know the path to the folder (e.g., G:\stuff\x|k or whatever).

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
F:\music\x|k. Is the location. I can't directly open the folder so I can't give you the direct location of that. Thanks for the response. I'm assuming it would be

The fact you got a folder which has an invalid character in its name means some program made it (malware, eventually). Anyway, here's the fix:

1. Start > All Programs > Accessories.
  2. Locate the Command Prompt, right click it, and run as administrator.
  3. Type del /f /q "\\?\F:\music\x|k\*.*"
  4. Press Enter.
  5. Type rd /s /q "\\?\F:\music\x|k"
  6. Press Enter.
Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
The fact you got a folder which has an invalid character in its name means some program made it (malware, eventually). Anyway, here's the fix:

1. Start > All Programs > Accessories.
  2. Locate the Command Prompt, right click it, and run as administrator.
  3. Type del /f /q "\\?\F:\music\x|k\*.*", and press Enter.
  4. Type rd /s/q "\\?\F:\music\x|k", and press Enter.
Hope it helps.

Weird that I would have malware when I ragularly use spybot: search & destroy and have MSE. But anyway, it didn't work :(

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011

Weird that I would have malware when I ragularly use spybot: search & destroy and have MSE. But anyway, it didn't work :(

Err... You got a few extra commas at the end of the lines. I've reworded the previous post a little, just in case.
Oh, and about malware... it was just a supposition, since usually you cannot put some invalid characters in a file/folder name.

Years
You don't type the commas. That's just twocows using proper grammar. And, it's not weird with both of those. Those are okay programs, but not great. MalwareBytes is better for spyware, in my opinion, and Avira is better than MSE.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
Err... You got a few extra commas at the end of the lines. I've reworded the previous post a little, just in case.
Oh, and about malware... it was just a supposition, since normally you cannot ever put some invalid characters in a file/folder name.

I had tried without the extra characters as well, just incase. It doesn't work, exact same error. This folder really want's to stick to my HDD for some reason. Anyway, thanks for helping.

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Forgot to ask... what's the external drive file system?

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
Forgot to ask... what's the external drive file system?

You mean like NTFS or Fat32 right? If so it's NTFS. And this malwarebytes scan is still going. At 117,000 files now and nothing found...

EDIT: I just finished the malwarebytes scan and it appears that X|K is a band, cause I saw mp3s in the folder... So it's not spyware... 160,000+ files and nothing detected.

http://www.last.fm/music/x|k

Apparently a chiptune artist. Maybe I got him off 8bitpeoples. None the less, I want to get rid of it.

Last edited:

twocows

Years
Batch script won't work. I have a few suggestions.

1. Try making a new folder and moving the x|k folder into it, then deleting the folder you moved it into.
2. Try booting into a Linux live CD and deleting it from a terminal instance.
3. Use DelInvFile to delete it. Google it to find it.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
Batch script won't work. I have a few suggestions.

1. Try making a new folder and moving the x|k folder into it, then deleting the folder you moved it into.
2. Try booting into a Linux live CD and deleting it from a terminal instance.
3. Use DelInvFile to delete it. Google it to find it.

Delinvfile is actually one of the programs I tried....Also whenever I cut/paste/move it it just stays in the same place. And I have a ubuntu and sabayon CD. Which one of these would be the best to try deleting it from a terminal instance and how would I go about that?

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Insert the Ubuntu Live CD. Find your external hard disk through the file explorer and remember the file path to that folder. type:

Code:
sudo rm -r <path to folder>
or
Code:
sudo rmdir <path to folder>

Although, I am worried about the character. If it doesn't work through terminal or manually you have no choice but to back up all your important data and format the damn thing.

Giraffes? Giraffes!

ラヴィ・ヘッド
Years
Have you tried renaming the folder and then deleting it?
I've tried everything imaginable. I don't quite understand how the guy was able to label the band such a way in the first place?

Insert the Ubuntu Live CD. Find your external hard disk through the file explorer and remember the file path to that folder. type:

Code:
sudo rm -r <path to folder>
or
Code:
sudo rmdir <path to folder>

Although, I am worried about the character. If it doesn't work through terminal or manually you have no choice but to back up all your important data and format the damn thing.

Do you mean actually going into the live desktop and doing it from the terminal? If I do it would be the actual location of the folder, like F:\music\x|k. Right? If so I'll try it tomorrow. It's a bit late so I'll be trying it tomorrow if I understand correctly.

twocows

Years

I've tried everything imaginable. I don't quite understand how the guy was able to label the band such a way in the first place?

Do you mean actually going into the live desktop and doing it from the terminal? If I do it would be the actual location of the folder, like F:\music\x|k. Right? If so I'll try it tomorrow. It's a bit late so I'll be trying it tomorrow if I understand correctly.
Yes. Go into the live distro, open up a terminal, and rm -r it. Or even just mv it to a different name.

Back