Off-Topic Hang out with people and talk about whatever. Feel free to suggest a better description for this forum as everyone seems to have an opinion. :D

TrollandToad.com
View Poll Results: Should 'creationism' / 'intelligent design' be taught alongside evolution?
Yes [I am religious] 9 23.68%
No [I am religious] 11 28.95%
Yes [I am atheist/agnostic] 0 0%
No [I am atheist/agnostic] 17 44.74%
Undecided [I never know what's going on] 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old March 15th, 2010 (2:33 PM).
pokejungle's Avatar
pokejungle pokejungle is offline
cherяubi яed
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: 川崎市
    Age: 28
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 12,505
    http://fora.tv/2009/10/07/Richard_Dawkins_The_Greatest_Show_on_Earth#Dawkins_Compares_Creationists_to_Holocaust_Deniers

    I just watched that fascinating speech by Richard Dawkins about the problems biology teachers face today by being asked to teach creationism or having the theory of evolution removed from their text books.

    Thoughts?

    EDIT: And just a bit more on the video, I thought it was a brilliant comparison to question whether or not Holocaust deniers should be given a spot in our text books as well; a comparable situation in his eyes and mine.
    __________________


    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old March 15th, 2010 (2:46 PM).
    Jordan's Avatar
    Jordan Jordan is offline
    [:: Love Is War ★]
       
      Join Date: Jun 2005
      Location: Désordre, Empire of Canada
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 2,961
      As a Christian myself, I don't think it's necessary to teach our doctrines in schools, particularly public ones. Religious ideal's should be taught by the churches (or other institution of religion) or from one's own reading of religious texts. Forcing them on someone else won't change their minds, especially on a topic like evolution.
      I think a "this lesson isn't intended to support atheism, and anyone is entitled to their own beliefs" prior to a lesson should suffice.
      __________________
      MyAnimeList
      Spring Breeze
        #3    
      Old March 15th, 2010 (2:51 PM).
      Jolene's Avatar
      Jolene Jolene is offline
      Your huckleberry friend
         
        Join Date: Jul 2009
        Age: 22
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 1,292
        No, creationism should absolutely not be taught in schools. Why teach lies to children?

        Religion is one of the things that really annoys me about America. Everyone takes it so seriously. Back in England, if someone suggested that creationism be taught in schools to the House of Commons, they'd get laughed out of the building. That's how it should be.

        There is no doubt in my mind that God does not exist.
        __________________

        What light through yonder window breaks?
        It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
          #4    
        Old March 15th, 2010 (2:57 PM).
        Bianca Paragon Bianca Paragon is offline
        Banned
           
          Join Date: Apr 2008
          Nature: Naughty
          Posts: 940
          That's like mandating that fairytales must be taught in school :O
            #5    
          Old March 15th, 2010 (3:03 PM).
          Miz en Scène's Avatar
          Miz en Scène Miz en Scène is offline
          Everybody's connected
             
            Join Date: Sep 2008
            Location: The Wired
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Calm
            Posts: 1,675
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
            Why teach lies to children?
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Bianca Paragon View Post
            That's like mandating that fairytales must be taught in school :O
            I have to say that the blunt way in which you phrase your statement is very insulting to most Monotheistic and Polytheistic religions.

            Anyway, in Malaysia, Creationism(Islamic Creationism) is taught in schools and is a mandatory subject because it is integrated into the Islamic Studies subject for Muslim students. Science text-books are written in such a way that at the end of some chapters, students are told to be grateful for the wonderful Universe in which God has provided for us.

            Also, threads of this caliber on PC tend to degenerate into flame wars sooner or later...
            __________________
            » Fiction «
            Havisham
            SWC 2011
            » Fanfiction «
            The Rainbow Chasers
            SWC 2016 (1st Place)
            ——
            The Promise I Made to You
            SWC 2012 (2nd Place)
            ——
            The Best
            Pokecreepypasta Entry 2010
            ——
            Using Firefox and see a scrollbar?
            Tell me so I can fix it! (Hopefully)
            » TBD «

            Want a fanfic review?
            Just ask me!

            Got a review from me?
            Pay it forward!
            Drop a comment or a review on someone else's fic. I'm sure they'll appreciate it!
              #6    
            Old March 15th, 2010 (3:03 PM).
            Jolene's Avatar
            Jolene Jolene is offline
            Your huckleberry friend
               
              Join Date: Jul 2009
              Age: 22
              Gender: Female
              Posts: 1,292
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Bianca Paragon View Post
              That's like mandating that fairytales must be taught in school :O
              Fairytales should be mandatory. They are good for instilling an interest in reading into children, and they teach morals. I would say that fairytales are a more important part of a child's curriculum than religion.
                #7    
              Old March 15th, 2010 (3:03 PM).
              pokejungle's Avatar
              pokejungle pokejungle is offline
              cherяubi яed
                 
                Join Date: Sep 2003
                Location: 川崎市
                Age: 28
                Nature: Naughty
                Posts: 12,505
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
                No, creationism should absolutely not be taught in schools. Why teach lies to children?

                Religion is one of the things that really annoys me about America. Everyone takes it so seriously. Back in England, if someone suggested that creationism be taught in schools to the House of Commons, they'd get laughed out of the building. That's how it should be.

                There is no doubt in my mind that God does not exist.
                Well if you watched that video Dawkins speaks directly about the problem in the UK and Europe right now, mostly because of the Muslim population. Personally, I'm not sure if fundie Christians or zealot Muslims are the bigger problem facing our respective regions.

                EDIT: Mizan, my threads never create flame wars. Ever.
                  #8    
                Old March 15th, 2010 (3:10 PM).
                Luck's Avatar
                Luck Luck is offline
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2007
                  Posts: 6,783
                  Yeah, and let's teach med students that diseases are caused by demons inhabiting our bodies.
                  SURELY PRAYER MUST BE THE ANSWER INSTEAD OF SCIENCE.
                    #9    
                  Old March 15th, 2010 (3:14 PM).
                  pokejungle's Avatar
                  pokejungle pokejungle is offline
                  cherяubi яed
                     
                    Join Date: Sep 2003
                    Location: 川崎市
                    Age: 28
                    Nature: Naughty
                    Posts: 12,505
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Luck View Post
                    Yeah, and let's teach med students that diseases are caused by demons inhabiting our bodies.
                    SURELY PRAYER MUST BE THE ANSWER INSTEAD OF SCIENCE.
                    Exorcisms have worked in the Catholic church for ages, respect the process man.
                      #10    
                    Old March 15th, 2010 (3:15 PM).
                    NikoBelic999's Avatar
                    NikoBelic999 NikoBelic999 is offline
                    Friendly Hometown Mugger....XD
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2010
                      Location: STRANGER DANGER! STALKER! We dont have to know that, now do we?
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Brave
                      Posts: 136
                      Well, Im religious and NEVER will be an atheist, I DO NOT think that creationism should be taught it school.

                      In fact, my grandpa was a preacher for over 50 years, in a baptist church, I REALLY DISLIKE Atheists.
                        #11    
                      Old March 15th, 2010 (3:18 PM).
                      pokejungle's Avatar
                      pokejungle pokejungle is offline
                      cherяubi яed
                         
                        Join Date: Sep 2003
                        Location: 川崎市
                        Age: 28
                        Nature: Naughty
                        Posts: 12,505
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by NikoBelic999 View Post
                        Well, Im religious and NEVER will be an atheist, I DO NOT think that creationism should be taught it school.

                        In fact, my grandpa was a preacher for over 50 years, in a baptist church, I REALLY DISLIKE Atheists.
                        Not discounting the fact God loves everyone and preaches tolerance. A message that belongs in our school without a deity attached. TOLERANCE PEOPLE, TOLERANCE.

                        Unless you don't believe in what I do. Then you get nada from me.
                          #12    
                        Old March 15th, 2010 (3:23 PM).
                        Luck's Avatar
                        Luck Luck is offline
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2007
                          Posts: 6,783
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by pokejungle View Post

                          Exorcisms have worked in the Catholic church for ages, respect the process man.
                          Come on now, ease up on the trolling. I actually treated you seriously for a second.
                            #13    
                          Old March 15th, 2010 (3:28 PM).
                          Miz en Scène's Avatar
                          Miz en Scène Miz en Scène is offline
                          Everybody's connected
                             
                            Join Date: Sep 2008
                            Location: The Wired
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Calm
                            Posts: 1,675
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by pokejungle View Post

                            Well if you watched that video Dawkins speaks directly about the problem in the UK and Europe right now, mostly because of the Muslim population. Personally, I'm not sure if fundie Christians or zealot Muslims are the bigger problem facing our respective regions.

                            EDIT: Mizan, my threads never create flame wars. Ever.
                            Will watch tomorrow, no time tonight. :P

                            We'll see. XD I'm hoping it won't turn into a flame war though. I do enjoy a civilized debate.

                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Luck View Post
                            Yeah, and let's teach med students that diseases are caused by demons inhabiting our bodies.
                            SURELY PRAYER MUST BE THE ANSWER INSTEAD OF SCIENCE.
                            The Muslim/Persian/Arabic cultures actually contributed a lot to proper medical science and pharmaceutical methods.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine#Arabic_and_Persian_medicine

                            A little prayer before a major surgery however, never hurt anyone...
                              #14    
                            Old March 15th, 2010 (3:33 PM).
                            Esper's Avatar
                            Esper Esper is offline
                            • Silver Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Jun 2009
                            Location: California
                            Posts: 10,621
                            I'm not against schools teaching that creationism as an idea exists and that some people believe in it, provided it's all done in an elective class and that it also teaches about the creation stories all all the world's religions as well as the generally accepted scientific explanation for the beginning of the universe.

                            It should, however, never grace the pages of a science textbook.
                            __________________
                              #15    
                            Old March 15th, 2010 (3:35 PM).
                            pokejungle's Avatar
                            pokejungle pokejungle is offline
                            cherяubi яed
                               
                              Join Date: Sep 2003
                              Location: 川崎市
                              Age: 28
                              Nature: Naughty
                              Posts: 12,505
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Mizan de la Plume Kuro View Post
                              A little prayer alcohol before a major surgery however, never hurt anyone...
                              Fixed for improved truthiness.

                              Sadly I think that religion in schools is out of gas. What is terrible though is Texas's Board of Education recently passed a motion to get rid of Thomas Jefferson from our textbooks because of his claim that state and religion should be separated.
                                #16    
                              Old March 15th, 2010 (3:35 PM).
                              Luck's Avatar
                              Luck Luck is offline
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
                                 
                                Join Date: Nov 2007
                                Posts: 6,783
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Mizan de la Plume Kuro View Post
                                The Muslim/Persian/Arabic cultures actually contributed a lot to proper medical science and pharmaceutical methods.
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine#Arabic_and_Persian_medicine

                                A little prayer before a major surgery however, never hurt anyone...
                                I mean using only prayer. Any sane person would choose a physician/surgeon/etc. to cure their problems instead of rolling the dice of life.
                                Anyways, I don't see any evidence of creation attributable only to a certain religion, which is why I don't think it should be taught in schools.
                                "OMG THIS PLANET IS PERFECT FOR LIFE" can be used by every religion that talks about creation.
                                  #17    
                                Old March 15th, 2010 (3:39 PM).
                                Jolene's Avatar
                                Jolene Jolene is offline
                                Your huckleberry friend
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jul 2009
                                  Age: 22
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Posts: 1,292
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by pokejungle View Post

                                  Sadly I think that religion in schools is out of gas.
                                  I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.
                                    #18    
                                  Old March 15th, 2010 (3:44 PM).
                                  Cherrim's Avatar
                                  Cherrim Cherrim is offline
                                  the blossom pokémon
                                  • Platinum Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Dec 2002
                                  Location: Waterloo, ON
                                  Age: 28
                                  Gender: Female
                                  Nature: Relaxed
                                  Posts: 30,829
                                  Creationism can absolutely be taught in schools...

                                  ...so long as those schools teach the creation stories of every major religion as well as the scientific view (evolution) and give children all the necessary facts so that they may form their own opinion on the matter.

                                  Seriously, I'd have no problem with schools telling children that God created everyone in 7 days or whatever (either that or the Adam & Eve story--the bible can't even choose which origin story it likes :s). But that's only okay if the curriculum includes other religions (because Christianity is NOT the only belief on this earth) and doctrines. To this end, I also agree that it should be mandatory for everyone to take a "World Religions" course. Everyone needs to know the basics about other religions and should know what their beliefs are, even if only for the sake of the politically correct world we've been slowly creating. So whether or not evolution is preached as the "right" origin story, people will know what the creation stories of other religions are and how they compare.

                                  Too bad that'll never happen.

                                  (Also, question because I honestly don't know: is there even a DEBATE about whether or not to teach evolution in schools outside of the US? :s I can't recall anything of the sort in Canada but I don't know how it is in other countries.)
                                  __________________


                                    #19    
                                  Old March 15th, 2010 (3:45 PM).
                                  pokejungle's Avatar
                                  pokejungle pokejungle is offline
                                  cherяubi яed
                                     
                                    Join Date: Sep 2003
                                    Location: 川崎市
                                    Age: 28
                                    Nature: Naughty
                                    Posts: 12,505
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
                                    I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.
                                    Yeah, that was what I was inferring. Religion is one of my favorite areas of study, especially ancient polytheistic ones (Greek, Roman, Egyptian) that essentially paved the way for more modern religions, such as Christianity and Islam.
                                      #20    
                                    Old March 15th, 2010 (3:58 PM).
                                    Jolene's Avatar
                                    Jolene Jolene is offline
                                    Your huckleberry friend
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jul 2009
                                      Age: 22
                                      Gender: Female
                                      Posts: 1,292
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
                                      Creationism can absolutely be taught in schools...

                                      ...so long as those schools teach the creation stories of every major religion as well as the scientific view (evolution) and give children all the necessary facts so that they may form their own opinion on the matter.
                                      I disagree. That would confuse children. Also, teachers are bias.

                                      Creationism should be taught in the context that "Some Christians believe that..." Evolution, on the other hand, should be taught as fact - because it is undeniable fact.


                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
                                      (Also, question because I honestly don't know: is there even a DEBATE about whether or not to teach evolution in schools outside of the US? :s I can't recall anything of the sort in Canada but I don't know how it is in other countries.)
                                      America is the only developed country that takes religion seriously. I've always thought it was weird that the president always talks about God in his speeches. In England, that would just seem ridiculous.
                                        #21    
                                      Old March 15th, 2010 (4:19 PM).
                                      .little monster's Avatar
                                      .little monster .little monster is offline
                                      • Gold Tier
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jun 2009
                                      Location: Ohio
                                      Age: 24
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 4,291
                                      With parental consent.

                                      Since everyone is not the same religion, and creationism varies on the religion, it should require parental class. And should only be an elective in high school.

                                      I am agnostic by the way.
                                        #22    
                                      Old March 15th, 2010 (4:21 PM).
                                      Throat's Avatar
                                      Throat Throat is offline
                                      Oldschool pokemon
                                         
                                        Join Date: Mar 2010
                                        Location: Brazil
                                        Age: 25
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Nature: Bold
                                        Posts: 351
                                        No! Creationism isn't an acceptable and evolucionism is just a fact. Creationism can be debated under the condition of mere folklore. To be dumb is not an option, furthermore, god is fickle and you can still believe it even if you don't try to take the bible literally
                                          #23    
                                        Old March 15th, 2010 (4:47 PM). Edited March 15th, 2010 by King Breloom.
                                        King Breloom's Avatar
                                        King Breloom King Breloom is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: Mar 2010
                                          Location: Centerville, Ohio
                                          Age: 23
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Nature: Docile
                                          Posts: 2
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
                                          I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.
                                          I agree and disagree
                                          I myself am a christian through and through but the bible says that people should want to come to him and christians should speak gods word.

                                          i think that the teach should suggest to them to believe what they believe is right.

                                          Because if u r forcing ur atheistic beleifs on another how r u better then the chrsitians who do the same
                                          and dont say because im not spreading lies almost 80 something percent of the world believes in some sort of god and so you could argue that athiests are preaching lies

                                          Also when aithiests say that their is no evidence to disprove god. I ask to put as much time as you would into researching proof to prove god as youw ould to disprove god. I would like to know your answer.
                                          __________________
                                          King Breloom



                                          75% of Pokemon gamers use cheats and specially made codes to make their pokemon battle-worthy. If you are one of the 25% percent that level their Pokemon up legally, put this in your signature.
                                            #24    
                                          Old March 15th, 2010 (4:48 PM).
                                          SIN1488's Avatar
                                          SIN1488 SIN1488 is offline
                                          Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jul 2008
                                            Location: Orange County, CA
                                            Age: 25
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Modest
                                            Posts: 1,148
                                            Give them both options, and let them decide for themselves. There are things evolution can't explain, like the flagellar motor in certain bacteria. It is so complex, that it could not have developed all at once. But it couldn't have developed slowly either, because the individual parts had no benefit to the species.

                                            Honestly, I don't get why it's so strange or "stupid" to believe in both.
                                            __________________
                                            www.zoklet.net/bbs <> www.totse.info
                                            Freemasonry: Square your actions by the square of virtue.
                                            Twins Vika and Masha sent out...... What the?? PC Family ./\Little Sis'/\Little Brother/\Lil Sis'/\Uncle/\Long Lost Cousin/\Nephew from the future/\Little Sister/\Queen Aunt/\Reminder: 4 words per post
                                              #25    
                                            Old March 15th, 2010 (4:50 PM).
                                            A Pixy's Avatar
                                            A Pixy A Pixy is offline
                                            Cruel?
                                               
                                              Join Date: Jul 2007
                                              Location: The Great Northern Nation of Canada
                                              Gender: Male
                                              Nature: Bashful
                                              Posts: 3,165
                                              Anything religious based should not be taught in school. Leave the religion to the religious schools, that's what they're there for.
                                              Closed Thread

                                              Quick Reply

                                              Join the conversation!

                                              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                                              Create a PokéCommunity Account

                                              Sponsored Links
                                              Thread Tools

                                              Posting Rules
                                              You may not post new threads
                                              You may not post replies
                                              You may not post attachments
                                              You may not edit your posts

                                              BB code is On
                                              Smilies are On
                                              [IMG] code is On
                                              HTML code is Off

                                              Forum Jump


                                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:42 AM.