• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about Pokemon clones & hacks?

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
    *and AR, RNG, Pokesav, etc!

I haven't been into wifi trading Pokemon for very long, only having recently discovered that my router will properly connect to my DS, and I've been around the trade corner a lot. Searching through a whole bunch of threads, just scoping out what people are trading for, and the number of opening posts that state that their Pokemon are all clones, or RNG abused, or Pokesaved or created through some other less-than-legitimate tactic.

I'm gonna be discussing a few different topics - namely what I mentioned at the beginning, clones, hacks/AR/Pokesav, and RNG abusing.

So first: cloning.

Personally I'm not that huge a fan of cloning. It just seems like such a cheap way to go about obtaining other Pokemon. You happen upon a rare shiny Pokemon, clone it to hell and back and trade it for all the other shinies you can imagine. It doesn't even make them special anymore. You have a fantastically EV trained, lv100 Pokemon, something you're proud of. You trade it to someone else, they clone it, next week 16 different people are holding the originally unique product of your hard work.

Feel free to correct me or fill me in with the next bit, I'm not 100% on all the technical details involved.

Hacks, AR, Pokesav, abusing R4s with multiple save files - all generally falls under the same sort of thing for me. It's just such an underhanded way to go about obtaining the strongest Pokemon you can. This afternoon I spent a few hours breeding Houndours for a modest nature and it took me until my 46th egg to finally hatch one. When I traded it for what I received in return, it made me feel like I'd actually earned the trades, instead of just cloning a Houndour that I'd already perfected with Pokesav or something.

RNG abuse I pretty much feel the same way about, especially since it normally uses an AR, so it can almost fall under my last paragraph. Once again I just see it as a cheating way to obtain Pokemon. :\

And I'd just like to say, I'm honestly not meaning this to be a thread about how I hate people who clone or use RNG or anything, it's your own personal choice. I'm just interested in how other people view it, and if you mind having Pokemon or items that have been cloned, or hacked, or anything like that.

The Red Chain

I agree much more with legitimate hard work. I admire the people that take their time making the perfect Pokemon far more.
    I myself find it much more satisfying to spend time perfecting a Pokemon the legit way rather than using the easy way out. It gives you a sense of pride. As far as obtaining I would rather have a completely legit one.. not one that has been cloned to pieces. How special, I've received the 51st of your original Pokemon. I consider it an unfair trade. Especially when you give a completely original Pokemon that's had so much time and work put into it to receive a hacked and cloned Pokemon in return. It's like they took your hard work and shoved it back into your face as hard as they could. As for shining Pokemon : chaining and soft resetting are there for a reason.

Don't be so damn lazy. >_>
    Sheesh.

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
    Yes, I agree completely! You managed to say what I think and put it in a much more flowing way. I mean, sure, you may have a perfect Pokemon and love it to bits, but if that's the case, don't trade it away! When you trade, you're supposed to be receiving something in return, not giving away a copy and receiving in return. Shouldn't have your cake and eat it too.

Lil MuDkiP849

Dream Chaser
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Aug 12, 2021
    well from my standpoint, i dont really do anything like that except for the clone glitch in emerald. But that's only because i'd want to keep some of the good natured, good IV'd pokemon i seriously work my butt off for with endless of hours for breeding and catching. You have no idea how many hours i've spent into IV breeding things so that i can get a legitimate-

Good natured
    Good IV'd
    Good Hidden Powered
    Even with breeding chain egg moved

pokemon to use on a team. And not only that, but then there are the EXTREMELY expensive TM's such as thunderbolt and flamethrower that you have to go through the battle frontier(or even the slot prizes which are ALOT of money over time) to save up for. And on a normal competitive team, it's usually a minimum of about 4-8 TMs from them, which is ALOT.

I do however, agree that pokesaving, AR, and RNG abuse are wrong. THAT has no work in CREATING the pokemon you want. You can literally create a shiny good natured good IV'd pokemon with the exact IV's to get the most powerful and best hidden power for the moveset all the while summoning their moveset with no TM's or no breeding going back and forth back and forth from the day care in an instant which is simply not fair to the people who works their butts off(such as myself) to get even remotely close to that kind of pokemon, and im no ordinary breeder, i know every single trick there is to know about breeding, dittos, parents and IV's, everything. There's also the fact that people do that stuff to get stuff like jirachis, celebis, and other event only pokemon for their team when legitly it is ridicolous with the amount of luck and time and effort you need to put in to get those kind of pokemon.

Like i said, i only clone my extremely hard worked pokemon for the TMs they need(that i earned through the battle frontier i will also too) so maybe i can even trade them off for other hard worked pokemon when i need another pokemon for another team i want to make and THATS IT...so yea, there's my 2 cents on the topic...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    I disagree.
    As long as one does not create an impossible to obtain Pokemon
    (Pikachu with Roar of Time, any Arceus, etc) I see nothing wrong with it.
    If someone want to save hours by simply fast forwarding and creating a Pikachu with the right EVs, there is nothing wrong (IMO), since they are not actually putting players at a disadvantage. If one were to hack an Arceus though, that would be unfair since Arceus has never been released (not even in Japan). However, when Arceus is released, I believe it is fair for hackers to hack their own Arceus with his accurate moveset.
    Most hackers are willing to participate in battles where hacked Pokemon are banned, and this is fair, since it's very hard to "hide" a hacked Pokemon. And even if they successfully hid a hacked Pokemon, then that just shows that their Pokemon is not any different then a arduously trained Pokemon.

This is my own opinion, however, and I respect yours. I can see why you would be against cloning, hacking, pokesaving, etc.

Rikal

Trainer Lucas
    Years
    • Age 33
    • CO
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    I'm gonna have to say I dislike both cloning and hacking.
    A friend of mine and myself were trying out the Contest Hall for the first time and I had spent a very long time trying to get a Glaceon with the right Nature to make it amazing for the Beauty contests. My friend on the other hand, just hacked himself a dud Eevee and feed it a hacked poffin that raises all stats. I found it as a cheap way to win them. But that's my own personal experience.
    Hacking... it just takes the fun out it. I say fun but is 5+ hours of hatching a certain breed of eggs just to get the one type Nature you want or some nice IVs fun? No, not to most, at least. But it's something you put up with to make yourself seem that much more accomplished when you get it right. It's like winning a race if you already took out the engines of everyone's cars. It's cheap, it makes the game unrewarding.
    Cloning is just as bad. Like you said in the first post, you have this amazing Pokemon that you worked so hard on, then you trade it away and then a ton of people have copies of your amazing Pokemon. It's like hacking, takes the fun out of the game.

I will admit that I have hacked once. To get the Azura Flute. I didn't think Arceus would be coming to the US and I figured as long as I still battled it, wasted 30 Poke-balls on it, and eventually caught it, then what's the big deal? At least I didn't just spawn an Arceus, but still... I really only wanted it to have the DEX entry.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    RNG abuse is loads harder then it looks (accept for AR, in which case the user could go dunk their face into a Slugma), and a single miss-step could have you restarting the whole process, sometimes a dozen times over. I still don't necessarily condone it though, and it has become a somewhat popular excuse for obtaining Pokémon with perfect IVs in competitive battling, though luckily I haven't seen people bashing Pokémon for having imperfect IVs on RMTs (unless they're needed for a particular Hidden Power) on this forum...Yet.

Hacking never really caught much attention to me pre-DPP, cause I was so isolated that there were no hackers to really deal with. Once introduced to the the GTS, however, I learned the harsh truth when I traded on of my best pokés in order to get a highly sought-out after shiny, only to find out it was a badly hacked knock-off. Ever since then, I've viewed hackers/Action Sharks/PokéSavers with distrust.

Cloning is a necessary, though sometimes difficult to justify evil. Cloning allows experiments and tests that would normally take weeks to be performed in hours. Say, you need X Pokémon with a certain set, and you have a Pokémon with the proper qualifications to configure it into that set. BUT! Making that Pokémon set requires getting your Poké to forget precious moves that it will never be able to relearn! So, rather then swap sets and risk ruining it, you can clone it to get another template to experiment on instead. Cloning is the only way to continue production of highly sought after Pokémon like Wish Blissey (though I say Wish Blissey and similar Poké
    mon should be left alone, after all, it was supposed to be a unique event... -.-)

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I've never tried it. I prefer to do it the legit way. I like to play games the proper way, without a heap of cheats. Getting the pokemon I want the legit way makes me feel more accomplished.
    On the other hand, if someone where to trade me an event pokemon that had been cloned or whatever, I honestly wouldn't mind because in australia I don't really get a chance for event pokemon :) Or atleast if you can get event pokemon in aus. (I don't think you can though?) I still wouldn't be able to get there. My mum wouldn't drive me, or let me get a bus to the city for what she would think is just a silly game to get something I don't even need for the game.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    ARGH! I am seriously fed up with hackers and cheaters. What is the point of playing the game if you cheat it takes the fun out of it with a click of a finger. Hey, yeah you might hack great pokemon but it's not satisfying! Seriosuly there is no point.

Lately I have been notcing that people who hack are less noticed because not many people like cheaitng and htink that the hackers are not worth the time. I agree to an extent you don't want to be mean either.

I believe in hard work, I know pokemon may be just some didgital monsters but it not about being the best it's about having fun and enjoying the game, and hvaing that feeling of satisfaciton form each badge you earn or each trianer you defeat. The origanls brought all of that too the game, ever since these hackers started the enjoyent and satisfaciton has darined quite alot.

BUT don't get me wrong pokemon is still fun and it will always be fun for me not matter what!

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    Oh, and to reiterate, by hacking, I am not justifying hacking perfect stat Eevees or the like, I just meant using a hack to skip hours of souless EV training and nature searching.

Most hackers do not generally use hacks to pass the games (the games are VERY easy, and most people can pass the game without even trying) they mostly use them to just save time by auto EV training.

I dunno, it just seems to me that EV training made the games pretty boring, and natures should have just been a description, not a stat changer. Searching for the right natures dulled the games a bit, if you ask me.

These boring tasks (in my opinion) ruined the fun of catching a Pokemon for the first time and not having to worry about soft resetting to get a good nature for your starter. I'd rather not have to waste hours upon hours (literally) doing tedious tasks, instead, I'd rather just spend a minute and get the dull part over with so that I can spend the time having fun specializing my Pokemon and testing movesets.

In my eyes, if I spent the money for an AR, and I downloaded Pokesav, I'm entitled to use those programs to heighten the experience of my game. This, to me, includes; getting rid of the hurdle and boredom of EV training. Like I said, if I don't exceed the max EV points (510) there is nothing that makes it unfair for other trainers in an actual battle. Sure, I may have saved hours, and even days, but that does not make me have a higher chance of winning against an opponent, since EVs are also gained unintentionally.
    And besides, Pokesav makes creating teams far more faster, in that you don't have to do all the dull work, you just have to use logic to create a good team.

I am, however, against using Pokemon that are unreleased, Pokemon with stats that exceed what is legit, pokemon with unlearn-able moves (this includes event moves, like the Spacial Rend-Darkrai and Wish-Blissey) and using AR to have infinite health, etc.

Basically, I personally see no problem with using programs for Pokemon as long as:

(1) It does not effect the other player's chance to win

(2) It does not allow you to obtain something that others with the same game cannot.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I don't approve of cloning or hacking at all. It screws up the "Pokemon Economy"; too many shinies, rares, and event Pokemon float around because of it.

Let's put this in a real life situation: what would become of our economy if someone cloned/copied thousands of 100$ bills and distributed them into the mainstream? Prices would become all wacked out and the economy would suffer.

It's the same thing with Pokemon (although, it's obviously not as severe, being a game). There are only supposed to be a certain amount of events and shinies that circulate in the system; as well, when you trade a Pokemon, the idea is to trade for good and to think hard. Phrases like "I worked hard on this Pokemon; will I regret this trade?" should cross the mind of the trader whenever a special Pokemon is on the line, be it shiny, an event, good IVs, EV-trained, etc.

Hacking is just retarded. It doesn't prove anything. If I hack a Palkia into having uber stats and uber moves, what does that show? No, that doesn't mean I can brag about having beaten six of your hard-trained Pokemon. That just proves I'm a loser.

Checking the insides of eggs to see if they're shiny / their natures, etc. is cheap as well. It defeats the purpose, challenge, and need for patience towards the game. You may need to be patient for that shiny Pokemon anyway, but that's besides the point.

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
    I've never tried it. I prefer to do it the legit way. I like to play games the proper way, without a heap of cheats. Getting the pokemon I want the legit way makes me feel more accomplished.
    On the other hand, if someone where to trade me an event pokemon that had been cloned or whatever, I honestly wouldn't mind because in australia I don't really get a chance for event pokemon :) Or atleast if you can get event pokemon in aus. (I don't think you can though?) I still wouldn't be able to get there. My mum wouldn't drive me, or let me get a bus to the city for what she would think is just a silly game to get something I don't even need for the game.
    I'm in Australia too, and I'm still sort of iffy about event Pokemon. I don't want to be receiving clones, but the only event I can ever recall us having was the Arceus one at EB a while back. I want Gamestop Jirachi!
    Oh, and to reiterate, by hacking, I am not justifying hacking perfect stat Eevees or the like, I just meant using a hack to skip hours of souless EV training and nature searching.
    Having spent the last few days experiencing EV training and breeding for natures, I can still say that although it can take a while, it would still feel majorly like I was cheating myself and whoever I was trading for if I just hacked my way to the right nature or just set its EVs as soon as I found it.
    Checking the insides of eggs to see if they're shiny / their natures, etc. is cheap as well. It defeats the purpose, challenge, and need for patience towards the game. You may need to be patient for that shiny Pokemon anyway, but that's besides the point.
    I didn't know that was even possible, checking the inside of eggs to check for shinies and natures. @_@ It's just such a cheating way to go about the game, especially if you're going to be trading with other people.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    Yeah, you can. You need a special code unique to your game cartridge - your "Trainer ID" (but not the one you see in-game, obviously; you need a hacker to discover it) - and you can check the insides of your eggs.

Cheap, eh?

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
    I really don't mind cheating as long as it remains in-game. I think it's okay if I'm cheating levels on my in-game Starly, but not if I'm going to trade the Starly.

I don't like it when I recieve an obviously sharked pokemon through the GTS, so I don't put my obviously sharked pokemon up for trade.

Overall, I think cheating, cloning etc. is okay if it's only going to affect you, but not if it's for anything related to multiplayer mode.

RockmanEXE

Unova?
    Years
    Clones: Really don't care. It's just one person cloning some Pokemon for others or for themselves. I see nothing wrong with it.

But Cloning Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander and Mew is just wrong.
    *Smacks Dr. Fuji with rolled up newspaper then hugs Mewtwo.*

Hacking: A different story.
    Hacking for stats and moves, IVs and EVs and all that jazz is just wrong. Get Pokemon the legit way or don't get them at all.

Hacking for events you didn't get?
    That's fine. I see no reason why this shouldn't be done. ;D

Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2010
    Clones: Really don't care. It's just one person cloning some Pokemon for others or for themselves. I see nothing wrong with it.
    Hacking: A different story.
    Hacking for stats and moves, IVs and EVs and all that jazz is just wrong. Get Pokemon the legit way or don't get them at all.

Hacking for events you didn't get?
    That's fine. I see no reason why this shouldn't be done. ;D

Hacking for EVs in no different then hacking for events, because they're essentially doing the same thing; hacking to make the game easier for oneself. But I won't expand on that due several things (don't bother).

Moving on, most hackers don't memorize all the events in the world, so it's likely that a hacker has hacked an event Pokemon that is not even able to be obtained. This would hinder the ability of other players who don't hack, unlike EV hacking(like Arceus, and it's widespread use despite never being released, ANYWHERE.) EV hacking does not hinder the ability of other players, since they aren't missing out on anything.

Oh, and hacking for event Pokemon WILL get one caught by Nintendo in most tourney's/Wi-Fi battles/PBR,
    and that Pokemon will be banned and the player might even get banned him/herself.
    Nintendo views hacking event Pokemon as cheating, since event Pokemon are special and not supposed to be widely available, which is why I view it as wrong.

However, hacking for EVs/IVs WILL NOT set off Nintendo's hack detectors, as EV training happens even if one is unaware of it, and IVs are usually controlled by the player (even without hacks, as players usually re breed countless times, wasting time) This is just my personal preference, and I apologize for being so talkative, it's just I felt compelled to explain the difference as I see it. Obviously, nothing I say will ever change anyone's opinion, since no one is actually correct (regardless of what some believe), as this is simply a matter of opinion.

Last edited:

Tree_x

Breeder
    Years
    The way i feel about all those methods is this you are ruining two things in my opinion the
    economy witch i am sure someone has already mentioned by flooding it with all these shinny's and lvl 100 perfect ev clones both of those normally take time to obtain allowing things to flow naturallysecond your ruining the fun of Breeding Completely it is far more rewarding to sit all day hatching eggs for hrs then to plug in a AR and get it instantly :P​

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I have never used any hacks, no ARs, no game shark etc. I like to train my pokemon the traditional way. Cloning Im okay with, as long as it is within the game [crystal, emerald, and newly discovered HG/SS]

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I use pokesav. I have like a team of un-sav'd teams but thats it. That team took too long, and its boring as heck. RNG is too complicated/time consuimg I hate breeding/chaining its a waste of time and its just a bunch of 1s and 0s. As long as nobody knows your using hacks, and they are within legal limits, its not that big of a deal. I mean, people just do the same stuff with RNG so whats the problem? As far as I'm concerned, using Pokesav is EXACTLY the same as RNGing, but you don't waste 10 minutes breeding and raising. So yeah, thats my feelings about it.

I mean, its not like your pokemon are any stronger or better if you raise them yourself and they have the same IVs as a sav'd pokemon, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The reason people use stuff like RNG and Pokesav is because they are partial to winning.

Last edited:

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
    (like Arceus, and it's widespread use despite never being released, ANYWHERE.)
    Just a quick question about this.. what do you mean? o_o There was an Arceus event in Australia a while ago, was there something wrong with the Michina Arceus?

Back