• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Laptop Dead... >.>

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello pipz. G'day!

My mom's laptop just died a few hours ago. She was curious what happened, so I made a research and found out that her laptop's motherboard is dead.., yet again...

Anyways, now both of us are curious...
What causes her laptop's motherboard to die?
Overheat?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Probably overheating or manufacturer's defects. Out of curiosity, how did you find out that it was the motherboard, exactly? It's quite possible it was some other hardware failure.

Years
Probably overheating or manufacturer's defects. Out of curiosity, how did you find out that it was the motherboard, exactly? It's quite possible it was some other hardware failure.
This is probably the most possible situation. Btw, my old laptop from 2004 still runs like a champ, so it really depends on the manufacturer. I've had a Dell go out in less than a year, but that was due to the graphics card.

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
Years
I'm quite curious, what is the model of the laptop? If that model has a nVidia chipset, it's most likely caused by a defect with the nVidia GPUs used in the chipset. If this the cause, the manufacturer should be able to repair it for free if they have issued a recall on them.

Years
I got the laptop off eBay, and I think it was too far out of the warranty range anyways. I have long replaced the faulty Dell with the nVidia graphics card. Next laptop is definitely going to be ATI.

Years
I'm quite curious, what is the model of the laptop? If that model has a nVidia chipset, it's most likely caused by a defect with the nVidia GPUs used in the chipset. If this the cause, the manufacturer should be able to repair it for free if they have issued a recall on them.

Yeah, if you're out of warranty, good luck. Especially with HP. They'll charge $300 to refloat it with no guarantees. It's also likely to happen again. It's just a combination of cheap solder and a really hot chip. I suppose you could underclock/volt it, but that defeats the purpose of the faster Nvidia GPU.

Back