• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need help on my External HDD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Trebuh~

Jiggles, The legendary fairy
Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Hi guys im here again..
    I got another problem.
    My External HDD Has malfunctioned.Well im not sure if the problem is on the HDD ,the USB or the Enclosure.Well heres what it says.
    When i connect it to my computer it seems
    that the computer doesnt recognize it.well it used to say that "USB Device not recognized" i just need to reconnect it again to make it work but now no more.
    What do you think is the problem?
    Well i thinks its either the USB or The enclosure.Im pretty sure that it is not the HDD cause i havent dropped it nor spilled any liquid on it.
    I Think the problem is on the enclosure.Because at first i thought its the USB cause its like kinda sensitive like when you shake the table the access on the hard drive will be lost.
    i also tried to use a diff USB but still it doesnt work anymore though the light is still on.
    what do you think is the problem?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Just a simple tip that has helped me countless times while repairing computers: make sure the connectors are dust-free. A dusty connector can prevent correct contact in any hardware. Also, if it's an enclosure, try blowing in the port where the HD meets the enclosure.

Other than that, I might need more information. What type of HD is it? If you can give a brand and model, I could help you more than I did.

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    umm the type of the hard drive is SATA.
    Umm i tried to blow the port and remove the connector but still, i
    can no longer browse this HDD.

The Silver Prince

The Protector Reigns
    Years
  • Several factors can lead to this error. If the PC reads it, then the USB is not at fault. Most probably, it's a virus. Try formatting your HDD. The other problem can be that your HDD is damaged. Once my USB device fell into water, the same error popped up.

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    My PC cant read it. I also tried to connect it to another computer, still the same.That pc coant read it.
    And a Virus? Hmm not sure.
    Well i cant format the HDD cause its not listed on "computer" although it is already connected.
    Thanks in advance

Blue Trainer

Do iT FuR TeH LulZ
    Years
  • Yeah - just on a skim read of your question -

Do the following...

Try a different USB Cable that you know to work
    Try a different USB port

If they fail - try the same on another computer..

If that fails - remove the HDD from the enclosure or if you are unsure how - ask someone who might know :)

Then mount it inside a desktop PC and see does it spin up and work. If that fails - return it to the manufacturer for a replacement

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I believe external hard drives have a health indicator either through light color or the "Clicks of Death".

I think that since your PC can't recognize the USB device, it must be the cable. If even with another cable it still is not detected. Then it is the external hard drive, but not necessarily the data itself. You'd have to take to a technician to confirm.

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Yeah youe all right, My external Hard Drive is busted out. :(
    Thans anyway.

Off Topic
    Btw when i was in my friend's house,Something wrong went on his Laptonp..
    Its a Sony vaio. The screen goes dark after the"VAIO" appears,it will turn back to normal on the log in screen for about a second and the screen will turn Dark again.
    He is can still use it,but he barely see a thing.What do you think is the problem?
    Lol What do you think is the problem,The backlight?If it is the backlight why are there certain times that the screen goes to normal for second or two?Thanks for the help :))

Edit: Sometimes after several reboots the brightness of the screen turns to normal but when rebooted again the problem goes back again,he still needs to reboot it for several times

Last edited:
    Years
  • Off Topic
    Btw when i was in my friend's house,Something wrong went on his Lapton..
    Its a Sony vaio. The screen goes dark after the"VAIO" appears,it will turn back to normal on the log in screen for about a second and the screen will turn Dark again.
    He is can still use it,but he barely see a thing.What do you think is the problem?
    Lol What do you think is the problem,The backlight?If it is the backlight why are there certain times that the screen goes to normal for second or two?Thanks for the help :))

Vaios automatically dim when they are disconnected from the wall power source. Press the "Fn" key and then look for a couple of buttons (probably F5 and F6) that each have a sun on them, one with a "-" next to it, and the other with a "+" next to it, those control your screen brightness. If this doesn't work, you probably have a broken backlight, or a broken "Fn" key.

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    @ Zet, donavannj
    Probably the backlight.I dont know?xD
    No, he cant adjust the Brightness on the screen when the problem is on.
    However we managed to return the screen's brightness to normal after several Reboots. We thought that the "Fn" key is broken but its not,Its perfectly working,
    But there are times that the screen will be flashing and the Brightness
    will be very dark again :(

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    It might be the backlight or it just might be that he needs to turn the brightness up

Well, is the battery low at those times? Because my Vaio does that when the battery gets low (and I'm talking in the 15% power range - my Vaio's only got a 3 hour battery life).
    Its around umm 80%.My friend doesnt let his battery down to 20% so he plugs in his charger when that comes. Well im using it now. It seems to be working fine but after several minutes the screen flashes then the brightness of the screen slowly darkens then after sevarl minutes again the problems shows up again. And oh one more thing. He said that there are times that teh problem shows up. I dunno why is his backlight broken?
    He said it happened after cleaning his lcd. he used a tissue paper to clean the dust. However the tissue paper is a little wet.Hmm maybe that's the Cause?

Years
  • Its around umm 80%.My friend doesnt let his battery down to 20% so he plugs in his charger when that comes. Well im using it now. It seems to be working fine but after several minutes the screen flashes then the brightness of the screen slowly darkens then after sevarl minutes again the problems shows up again. And oh one more thing. He said that there are times that teh problem shows up. I dunno why is his backlight broken?
    He said it happened after cleaning his lcd. he used a tissue paper to clean the dust. However the tissue paper is a little wet.Hmm maybe that's the Cause?

Sounds like he may have fried his backlight... it'll have to be replaced. How long has he had it? It may still be under warranty. Just make sure he gets all his data off of there in case Sony decides to replace his system if they accept it for warranty purposes.

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Sounds like he may have fried his backlight... it'll have to be replaced. How long has he had it? It may still be under warranty. Just make sure he gets all his data off of there in case Sony decides to replace his system if they accept it for warranty purposes.
    just Today xD. And woah. The warranty has been expired for the past 2 months, Can he just buy a backlight from a computer Store and let a computer expert replace it??

Last edited:
    Years
  • just Today xD. And woah. The warranty has been expired for the past 2 months, Can he just buy a backlight to a computer Store and let a computer expert replace it??
    Laptop screens are expensive. Screens from the actualt company are more expensive. Sony is expensive. Thus, a new screen will be outrageously expensive, and you will need to pay a technician to reinstall it. To top it off, VAIOs are a pain to pull apart, so they'll probably charge more.

By the way, the backlight's probably dying. If several restarts is having an effect, then there may be water in the circuit. Tell him to leave it in a very dry environment for a few days WITHOUT TURNING IT ON. This may dry out the water, assuming that's what he used.

Lesson? When cleaning screens, use metho or special screen cleaning kits (which are basically metho with additives for anti-streaking, etc.) This is because metho, being a mix of alcohols, evaporates very quickly. I'm surprise any water got in, though. The Vaio build quality is usually superb. Heck, I'd probably get one if they weren't 70% more than they should be. :D

Good luck.

~Trebuh~

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    Laptop screens are expensive. Screens from the actualt company are more expensive. Sony is expensive. Thus, a new screen will be outrageously expensive, and you will need to pay a technician to reinstall it. To top it off, VAIOs are a pain to pull apart, so they'll probably charge more.

By the way, the backlight's probably dying. If several restarts is having an effect, then there may be water in the circuit. Tell him to leave it in a very dry environment for a few days WITHOUT TURNING IT ON. This may dry out the water, assuming that's what he used.

Lesson? When cleaning screens, use metho or special screen cleaning kits (which are basically metho with additives for anti-streaking, etc.) This is because metho, being a mix of alcohols, evaporates very quickly. I'm surprise any water got in, though. The Vaio build quality is usually superb. Heck, I'd probably get one if they weren't 70% more than they should be. :D

Good luck.

Woah,i didnt know about that.And youre right several restart is having effect actually one restart is enough but the problems goes again aftre several minutes but this time it seem to work fine as the screen havent gone bad for about 8 hours! Well maybe the water has already dried.Hope so, And i'll still try to leave this to a dry environment just like what you've said for a few days withought turning it on. how about a week? IS that ok and should i leave it with the screen upright?
    (acually im using it for a long time if he wouldnt have asked me to bring his laptop to him for a visit,His laptop would be fine and i'll still be using it properly :) )
    -------------
    Woah were getting way to off topic here xD ill wait for your post.
    Please confirm it and ill have a Zet close this one.

-------------
    I was just searching for VAIO Laptops and Woahh they're so EXPENSIVE! And so is this one.
    Woah...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back