Pokémon General The home for theories, clubs, polls, and other discussions involving the Pokémon franchise that aren't covered in any of the other boards.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #26    
Old May 6th, 2010 (9:34 AM).
Yusshin's Avatar
Yusshin Yusshin is offline
♪ Yggdrasil ♪
     
    Join Date: Jul 2009
    Location: Quebec, Canada
    Age: 24
    Nature: Brave
    Posts: 2,424
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    Honestly? Japan is a very racist country. Or rather, it's very xenophobic.
    ^ This is very, very true. The Japanese are huge nationalists. If you're not Japanese, they look at you scornfully as if you're inferior. The funny thing is, a lot of them try to look more occidental with operations and hair dye, contact lenses, etc. 1/2 of them don't know what they want lol

    I always thought Brock was considered "black", regardless his eyes. I'm sure there have been some black immigrants / tourists in Japan, though. They could have at least put black people in popular events / attractions in the anime. There have been some events that "attract people all over the world" so I don't see why it wouldn't attract a coloured person.
    __________________


    Polaret | Fourette | Ecuret | Axew | Zorua | Nanette [Shiny]
    "My scar makes me sassy, child!"
    The Big Bang Theory Fan Club - Click To Join!
    The French Club

    Relevant Advertising!

      #27    
    Old May 6th, 2010 (9:34 AM).
    Captain Riolu's Avatar
    Captain Riolu Captain Riolu is offline
    Ace Detective
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Nov 2008
    Location: Dancing in the flowers
    Age: 26
    Nature: Jolly
    Posts: 431
    Most characters in anime seem Caucasian. The way Sugimori's art is, it's also hard to portray them as Asian without looking somewhat stereotypical (like Brock).

    But yes, as others said, it's not like they don't like putting black people in Pokemon, it's that they don't come to mind as much as other races, and Pokemon portrays certain regions. But it's not like it will never happen. Americans are more conscious of different races though, which is why one of the Battle Revolution characters was given dark skin.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post


    so I don't see why it wouldn't attract a coloured person.
    Watch yourself. That term could offend someone. It's very improper and outdated.
    __________________

    HeartGold FC: Azalea 3481-4777-0025
    Family: Vanitas Lightning Ash Notch Crys Roku-chan



      #28    
    Old May 6th, 2010 (9:38 AM). Edited May 6th, 2010 by PiPVoda.
    PiPVoda's Avatar
    PiPVoda PiPVoda is offline
    핖보다,화이팅!
       
      Join Date: Mar 2010
      Location: 미국
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Modest
      Posts: 1,304
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FaithInMe View Post
      I actually think that asking the question is semi-racist to begin with, why point out what people may assume is racial segregation. It doesnt do anyone any good.

      Secondly, who really cares anyway? As far as Im aware no race on earth has complained about not having their ethnicity show up in pokemon.
      First and foremost, its a game. It doesnt need to be over-analysed.
      that was the point that I was trying to mention before my post got attacked. I am black, I don't really care what color or race the people in pokemon are. I've been playing the games for 7 years and watching the anime for close to 12 and I rarely thought of 'why don't they have any ___ people'. Honestly, I just see it as a game, nothing more.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post

      ^ This is very, very true. The Japanese are huge nationalists. If you're not Japanese, they look at you scornfully as if you're inferior. The funny thing is, a lot of them try to look more occidental with operations and hair dye, contact lenses, etc. 1/2 of them don't know what they want lol

      I always thought Brock was considered "black", regardless his eyes. I'm sure there have been some black immigrants / tourists in Japan, though. They could have at least put black people in popular events / attractions in the anime. There have been some events that "attract people all over the world" so I don't see why it wouldn't attract a coloured person.
      Lets not get all stereotypical. I use to live next door to a Japanese family for two years, and their son was one of my best friends. Although I'm not Japanese I wasn't looked at as inferior and had a good time when around them...Though my Japanese friend was awfully ignorant of Chinese people. Like saying 'Chinese people smell' and I'd be like 'how do you know?' then he'd be like 'b/c I've ran into ones that came to Japan and they smelled..It's because of the food they eat.' (>_<). Yeah he was proud to be Japanese--sometimes too proud--but overall he was a pretty cool guy.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Captain Riolu View Post


      Watch yourself. That term could offend someone. It's very improper and outdated.
      No, I don't think it's offensive. Someone could find it offensive but hey that's just them.
      __________________
      *dreaming 4ever
        #29    
      Old May 6th, 2010 (9:43 AM).
      NatureKeeper NatureKeeper is offline
      No longer active here.
         
        Join Date: Jun 2008
        Location: Somewhere.
        Age: 19
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Hasty
        Posts: 1,233
        The reason for this is the lack of black people in Japan. When a human creates something, it usually reflects his surroundings. In the developers' case, Japan. Japan doesn't have many black people, and mostly are white people. I actually haven't even seen a picture of a black person in Japan. With no exaggeration, Instinctively most of the characters are shown to be white or ginger. Arcade Star Dahlia however is black. So, I am pretty sure no racism is meant. It's just their surroundings.
          #30    
        Old May 6th, 2010 (9:46 AM).
        Jolene's Avatar
        Jolene Jolene is offline
        Your huckleberry friend
           
          Join Date: Jul 2009
          Age: 22
          Gender: Female
          Posts: 1,292
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by PiPVoda View Post
          Though my Japanese friend was awfully ignorant of Chinese people. Like saying 'Chinese people smell' and I'd be like 'how do you know?' then he'd be like 'b/c I've ran into ones that came to Japan and they smelled..It's because of the food they eat.' (>_<).
          That's like Americans with the French though, isn't it? Apart from me - I love France.
          __________________

          What light through yonder window breaks?
          It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
            #31    
          Old May 6th, 2010 (9:47 AM).
          Captain Riolu's Avatar
          Captain Riolu Captain Riolu is offline
          Ace Detective
          • Silver Tier
           
          Join Date: Nov 2008
          Location: Dancing in the flowers
          Age: 26
          Nature: Jolly
          Posts: 431
          I fear for Black and White versions overseas though. I've seen other boards handle it quite immaturely. They might have to jump on it and give it the Jynx treatment. IIRC, a Megaman game had Black and White versions, and was changed to Blue and White overseas.

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
          That's like Americans with the French though, isn't it? Apart from me - I love France.
          Canadians receive more hassle, from what I've seen, though I think it's more for fun.
          __________________

          HeartGold FC: Azalea 3481-4777-0025
          Family: Vanitas Lightning Ash Notch Crys Roku-chan



            #32    
          Old May 6th, 2010 (10:01 AM). Edited May 6th, 2010 by PiPVoda.
          PiPVoda's Avatar
          PiPVoda PiPVoda is offline
          핖보다,화이팅!
             
            Join Date: Mar 2010
            Location: 미국
            Age: 23
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Modest
            Posts: 1,304
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Captain Riolu View Post
            I fear for Black and White versions overseas though. I've seen other boards handle it quite immaturely. They might have to jump on it and give it the Jynx treatment. IIRC, a Megaman game had Black and White versions, and was changed to Blue and White overseas.



            Canadians receive more hassle, from what I've seen, though I think it's more for fun.
            I hope that doesn't happen over here. I'd be soo pissed. Though I doubt Nintendo would change the title of a pokemon game. That would be like asking your parents for a million bucks--not happening! Some people just need to mature and realize that black & white aren't racial things. Like MJ says "If you're thinkin' about my baby it don't matter if you're black or white"

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Jolene View Post
            That's like Americans with the French though, isn't it? Apart from me - I love France.
            Moi aussi! J'adore la france, et j'ai étudié le français pour deux ans. Though as you can tell my french still needs some improving. haha.


            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Captain Riolu View Post

            Canadians receive more hassle, from what I've seen, though I think it's more for fun.
            edit:: as you may have seen from the photo I had up

            __________________
            *dreaming 4ever
              #33    
            Old May 6th, 2010 (10:11 AM).
            Captain Riolu's Avatar
            Captain Riolu Captain Riolu is offline
            Ace Detective
            • Silver Tier
             
            Join Date: Nov 2008
            Location: Dancing in the flowers
            Age: 26
            Nature: Jolly
            Posts: 431
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by PiPVoda View Post
            Some people just need to mature and realize that black & white aren't racial things.


            Sad thing is, a lot of America still isn't mature enough.


            And while that pic is "true" and hilarious, you might want to take it out, as it has some bad stuff on it.

            Sorry if I sound like a mod.
            __________________

            HeartGold FC: Azalea 3481-4777-0025
            Family: Vanitas Lightning Ash Notch Crys Roku-chan



              #34    
            Old May 6th, 2010 (10:14 AM).
            PiPVoda's Avatar
            PiPVoda PiPVoda is offline
            핖보다,화이팅!
               
              Join Date: Mar 2010
              Location: 미국
              Age: 23
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Modest
              Posts: 1,304
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Captain Riolu View Post
              Sad thing is, a lot of America still isn't mature enough.


              And while that pic is "true" and hilarious, you might want to take it out, as it has some bad stuff on it.

              Sorry if I sound like a mod.
              ohhh..the phrase used to refer to europe? okeedokee.
              __________________
              *dreaming 4ever
                #35    
              Old May 6th, 2010 (10:15 AM).
              .EJ's Avatar
              .EJ .EJ is offline
              everything is purple
              • Silver Tier
               
              Join Date: Feb 2009
              Location: FL
              Age: 24
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Relaxed
              Posts: 1,606
              Honestly I've never really thought about races in pokemon, but it makes sense that there aren't any black (minorities in general) people portrayed because as people here have stated and clarified, they are minute in Japan.

              Quote:
              Originally Posted by NatureKeeper View Post
              The reason for this is the lack of black people in Japan. When a human creates something, it usually reflects his surroundings. In the developers' case, Japan. Japan doesn't have many black people, and mostly are white people.
              They aren't mostly white people, they're mostly Japanese.
              __________________
              Wrex. Shepard. Wrex.
                #36    
              Old May 6th, 2010 (10:18 AM).
              shookie's Avatar
              shookie shookie is offline
              Often scatters things.
                 
                Join Date: Mar 2010
                Location: CT, USA
                Gender: Female
                Nature: Quiet
                Posts: 856
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
                Watch/Read Afro Samurai then come back to this thread, please.
                +1. I freaking love Afro Samurai.

                From what I understand, Japan is very close-minded against both black and white people. "Americans" in anime are typically blond(e) and blue-eyed. Anybody that isn't Japanese is considered a foreigner and given a stereotype.

                I could be wrong though, this is just what I've heard from people I know that have lived in Japan.
                __________________

                Signature drawn by me.

                  #37    
                Old May 6th, 2010 (10:20 AM).
                BleuVII's Avatar
                BleuVII BleuVII is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2010
                  Location: Betwixt Hither and Thither
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Hardy
                  Posts: 426
                  Okay, first, I have lived in Japan for 2 years, and there are a LOT more Africans than there are African-Americans. Particularly in Tokyo. Still, when you throw in all of the Africans, African-Americans, African-Canadians, African-Australians, etc, etc, etc, it still doesn't amount to a measurable percentage of the population.

                  Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects. And this thread just proves it. It almost always devolves into battles about which terms to use, rather than actually discussing the topic. Be careful of that.
                  __________________
                  Currently Playing Pokémon White, and loving it

                  My showcase thread, featuring Fakemon (like a Pachirisu evolution and Legendary Unown), new types (Light
                  and Glass), and new items.

                    #38    
                  Old May 6th, 2010 (10:23 AM).
                  .EJ's Avatar
                  .EJ .EJ is offline
                  everything is purple
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2009
                  Location: FL
                  Age: 24
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Relaxed
                  Posts: 1,606
                  I'm wondering though, are there any Hispanic people in the series? I think there was one guy called Juan and he had a Ludicolo...Or am I just fantasizing here?

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
                  Okay, first, I have lived in Japan for 2 years, and there are a LOT more Africans than there are African-Americans. Particularly in Tokyo. Still, when you throw in all of the Africans, African-Americans, African-Canadians, African-Australians, etc, etc, etc, it still doesn't amount to a measurable percentage of the population.

                  Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects. And this thread just proves it. It almost always devolves into battles about which terms to use, rather than actually discussing the topic. Be careful of that.
                  You mean a couple of 13 year olds?

                  Don't bash America for immature kids...that's just my opinion on that (Granted. America can be ignorant.)
                  __________________
                  Wrex. Shepard. Wrex.
                    #39    
                  Old May 6th, 2010 (10:28 AM).
                  Captain Riolu's Avatar
                  Captain Riolu Captain Riolu is offline
                  Ace Detective
                  • Silver Tier
                   
                  Join Date: Nov 2008
                  Location: Dancing in the flowers
                  Age: 26
                  Nature: Jolly
                  Posts: 431
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
                  Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects. And this thread just proves it. It almost always devolves into battles about which terms to use, rather than actually discussing the topic. Be careful of that.
                  How do you know all of the people in this thread are American? Even someone spelled it "coloured". That's not how Americans usually spell it.

                  And as far as I know, every English-dominant nation in the world is racially aware.


                  And when you're a melting pot country like America with a lot of racial confusion in its history, you're bound to run into a lot who can't handle the subject.
                  __________________

                  HeartGold FC: Azalea 3481-4777-0025
                  Family: Vanitas Lightning Ash Notch Crys Roku-chan



                    #40    
                  Old May 6th, 2010 (10:30 AM).
                  Jolene's Avatar
                  Jolene Jolene is offline
                  Your huckleberry friend
                     
                    Join Date: Jul 2009
                    Age: 22
                    Gender: Female
                    Posts: 1,292
                    In a way, I'm kind of glad that we don't have black character in the games. I doubt that Sugimori could design a black character without it either looking like a palette-swap of a white character or like some kind of offensive caricature.

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BleuVII View Post
                    Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects.
                    And the best way to handle the subject is to not use the terminology at all. A black person living in America is an American. Even immigrants should be refered to as Americans.
                    __________________

                    What light through yonder window breaks?
                    It is the East, and Joliet is the sun!
                      #41    
                    Old May 6th, 2010 (10:35 AM).
                    ChrisTom's Avatar
                    ChrisTom ChrisTom is offline
                    With all regards,
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2008
                      Location: Precisely 15 miles north of the peak of Mt. Silver
                      Age: 20
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Lonely
                      Posts: 762
                      Firstly, this thread is getting alot of comments. I'm off for two seconds and there are 10 more posts.

                      Secondly, PiPVoda I never said it was racist I said it was CLOSE to Racist. Like this:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNYTp0I14b8
                      Now don't tell me you saw that coming. Most people would have assumed that. It's because those sort of things have been imprinted into our minds by society.
                        #42    
                      Old May 6th, 2010 (10:38 AM).
                      .EJ's Avatar
                      .EJ .EJ is offline
                      everything is purple
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Feb 2009
                      Location: FL
                      Age: 24
                      Gender: Male
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 1,606
                      ^You were gone for like an hour there bud...and what is the problem with a thread having many posts? That's just people doing what they're supposed to on a forum -Posting their opinions and discussing ideas.

                      But yeah, let's try and get back on topic:

                      Was there a Hispanic person in Pokemon? xD
                      __________________
                      Wrex. Shepard. Wrex.
                        #43    
                      Old May 6th, 2010 (10:47 AM).
                      MegaKuriboh's Avatar
                      MegaKuriboh MegaKuriboh is offline
                      Yare Yare Daze
                         
                        Join Date: Jan 2009
                        Location: Morioh
                        Gender: Male
                        Nature: Adamant
                        Posts: 811
                        I would LOVE to see black people in pokemon. (no I'm not black although I wish I was lol)
                        We need more Asians too I think Brock is Asian (explains why he's so smart lol)
                        __________________
                          #44    
                        Old May 6th, 2010 (10:48 AM). Edited May 6th, 2010 by PiPVoda.
                        PiPVoda's Avatar
                        PiPVoda PiPVoda is offline
                        핖보다,화이팅!
                           
                          Join Date: Mar 2010
                          Location: 미국
                          Age: 23
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Modest
                          Posts: 1,304
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by ChrisTom View Post
                          Firstly, this thread is getting alot of comments. I'm off for two seconds and there are 10 more posts.

                          Secondly, PiPVoda I never said it was racist I said it was CLOSE to Racist. Like this:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNYTp0I14b8
                          Now don't tell me you saw that coming. Most people would have assumed that. It's because those sort of things have been imprinted into our minds by society.
                          Sadly, you're right.

                          Quote:
                          In a way, I'm kind of glad that we don't have black character in the games. I doubt that Sugimori could design a black character without it either looking like a palette-swap of a white character or like some kind of offensive caricature.


                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by BleuVII
                          Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects.

                          And the best way to handle the subject is to not use the terminology at all. A black person living in America is an American. Even immigrants should be refered to as Americans.
                          I agree with you. Even if Sugimori wanted to put a black person in the pokemon games, it just wouldn't come out right more than likely.

                          and all blacks in America are American like you said. That's the term I use and it's the term others should use too.

                          Quote:
                          Second, I am going to switch from a subject of racism to a subject of nationalism directed against Americans (people from the USA). For all of our hyper-awareness of race and racism, the average American has no idea how to handle the subjects. And this thread just proves it. It almost always devolves into battles about which terms to use, rather than actually discussing the topic. Be careful of that.


                          We were barely discussing which terms to use. In fact it only just popped up a few posts before yours. Actually, I don't even know why this thread is still continuing!

                          @ .EJ: no I don't think so, and if there was he/she wouldn't be called 'hispanic' because that is a term only used in the USA (if I'm right).
                          __________________
                          *dreaming 4ever
                            #45    
                          Old May 6th, 2010 (10:51 AM).
                          Captain Riolu's Avatar
                          Captain Riolu Captain Riolu is offline
                          Ace Detective
                          • Silver Tier
                           
                          Join Date: Nov 2008
                          Location: Dancing in the flowers
                          Age: 26
                          Nature: Jolly
                          Posts: 431
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by .EJ View Post
                          Was there a Hispanic person in Pokemon? xD
                          Juan is the only one that I can recall that is remotely Hispanic. Though it's mostly because of his English name.

                          Ludicolo is a Hispanic Pokemon though.
                          __________________

                          HeartGold FC: Azalea 3481-4777-0025
                          Family: Vanitas Lightning Ash Notch Crys Roku-chan



                            #46    
                          Old May 6th, 2010 (10:53 AM).
                          Pokemafia's Avatar
                          Pokemafia Pokemafia is offline
                          Chatot should be an Uber!!! :P
                             
                            Join Date: Apr 2010
                            Location: Europe
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Hardy
                            Posts: 102
                            I've just assumed like what most people are saying because the game is made in Japan, most characters are Japanese based.
                            I assume that if the game was made in a country where there are a lot of African people, then there would be more African based characters?
                            That's all I'm saying.
                            __________________


                            SIG UNDER CONSTRUCTION

                            I support ChrisMims' Shop, please visit it here:




                            My Trade Thread:

                            (Always use this one -->) Soul Silver FC: 3696 2559 9911



                              #47    
                            Old May 6th, 2010 (11:49 AM).
                            Esper's Avatar
                            Esper Esper is offline
                            • Silver Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Jun 2009
                            Location: California
                            Posts: 10,461
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Yusshin View Post
                            The Japanese are huge nationalists. If you're not Japanese, they look at you scornfully as if you're inferior. The funny thing is, a lot of them try to look more occidental with operations and hair dye, contact lenses, etc. 1/2 of them don't know what they want lol
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Captain Riolu View Post
                            Most characters in anime seem Caucasian. The way Sugimori's art is, it's also hard to portray them as Asian without looking somewhat stereotypical (like Brock).
                            I'm white, American, and I lived in Japan. I had maybe 5 or 6 bad experiences there in a year. The Japanese people I met were flattered I came to their country and wanted to learn about it or curious about me and my country or just indifferent. Most were indifferent. But, as I said, I'm white and American and those made it a lot easier for me.

                            Young people in Japan are a lot more open and accepting than some, I repeat, some of the older population. They don't look down on other people. They're not overly racist or xenophobic. It's just that the ones who are (like the ultra-nationalists) are very vocal about it.

                            Also, the people in Pokemon are supposed to be Asian. It's just that people from white-majority areas think they look white because that's their cultural context. When they want a character in Pokemon (or elsewhere) to look white they usually do something to make them stand out like give them a more squarish jaw or blond hair. Japanese people don't portray themselves as squinty eyed or whatever stereotype people in the West associate with them.

                            Spoiler:
                            __________________
                              #48    
                            Old May 6th, 2010 (11:57 AM).
                            .EJ's Avatar
                            .EJ .EJ is offline
                            everything is purple
                            • Silver Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Feb 2009
                            Location: FL
                            Age: 24
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Posts: 1,606
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by PiPVoda View Post
                            @ .EJ: no I don't think so, and if there was he/she wouldn't be called 'hispanic' because that is a term only used in the USA (if I'm right).
                            And what would you rather call us?

                            Spanish? That refers to somebody from Spain. There are diverse countries that speak Spanish, collectively the people are called Hispanics. The only thing that comes to mind is "latino".
                            __________________
                            Wrex. Shepard. Wrex.
                              #49    
                            Old May 6th, 2010 (12:08 PM).
                            Captain Riolu's Avatar
                            Captain Riolu Captain Riolu is offline
                            Ace Detective
                            • Silver Tier
                             
                            Join Date: Nov 2008
                            Location: Dancing in the flowers
                            Age: 26
                            Nature: Jolly
                            Posts: 431
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Scarf View Post

                            Also, the people in Pokemon are supposed to be Asian. It's just that people from white-majority areas think they look white because that's their cultural context. When they want a character in Pokemon (or elsewhere) to look white they usually do something to make them stand out like give them a more squarish jaw or blond hair. Japanese people don't portray themselves as squinty eyed or whatever stereotype people in the West associate with them.

                            Spoiler:
                            Squinty eyed, no. But there is no doubt that (alot of) Asian people have thinner eyes than other races.

                            You say Westerners stereotype, yet you give an example of Japanese stereotypes of Westerners (Lt. Surge). Not a good argument.

                            And they may not portray themselves as the stereotype, they sure are aware of it. Which is why Brock was replaced by Tracy.

                            And Fantina is a bad example. She is foreign only due to her habit of speaking English. She looks no "whiter" than Misty or Gardenia
                            __________________

                            HeartGold FC: Azalea 3481-4777-0025
                            Family: Vanitas Lightning Ash Notch Crys Roku-chan



                              #50    
                            Old May 6th, 2010 (12:08 PM).
                            Alexeon's Avatar
                            Alexeon Alexeon is offline
                            ← from acrøss T·I·M·E ☆
                               
                              Join Date: Apr 2010
                              Location: the eternal sky~
                              Age: 31
                              Gender: Male
                              Nature: Calm
                              Posts: 94
                              The Pokémon world is based on Japanese regions, but it should be made clear that the Pokémon world is still a fictional world. There is no America, Africa, Asia, Minnesota (lol) or Japan for that matter. Just Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, and therefore, these discussions on races are moot, since the only people who can say what races should exist in the story are the creators of this orginal, fictional world. A world of which we've only seen such a small part of, really, so it's not unreasonable for the people to be mostly the same color.

                              That said, the most basic reasons for the lack of diversity would be because it is based on Japan (even though it isn't technically Japan), and the fact that the focus of the franchise is the Pokémon themselves, and not the aspects that make up the human population.

                              Going into these issues just complicates things, and in all honesty, if the creators made the conscious decision to include more people of other colors/races, we'd see much more discussions on the reasons why they did so, as well as why they chose to portray one race/color a certain way. It's all just so irrelevant to the much more preferred discussions on what our favorite Pokémon are, and what Pokémon are good for competitive battling...
                              __________________
                              theme
                              art
                              sig & avy
                              css
                              ¤~†~¤
                              bishies
                              pokémon
                              ¤~†~¤
                              trainer card
                              friend codes - hg
                              Closed Thread
                              Quick Reply

                              Sponsored Links
                              Thread Tools

                              Posting Rules
                              You may not post new threads
                              You may not post replies
                              You may not post attachments
                              You may not edit your posts

                              BB code is On
                              Smilies are On
                              [IMG] code is On
                              HTML code is Off

                              Forum Jump


                              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:14 AM.