• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen A solution to the HMs

DXrobots

Just a passing through trainer
Years
We've been getting about 8 HM's per game now. That's ridiculous even with an HM slave you can only cover half the HMs in the game meaning you'd have to distribute the four remaining amongst the rest of your party. So that means your going to have four pokemon with four unwanted moves (except surf and maybe waterfall). what I want to see is less HM's 5 like in generation one that way I'm not stuck with something stupid like defog on my main party.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Ugh, HMs. I was going to make a thread about this. I don't like the fact that you need HMs to navigate throughout the region. I can understand why, because sometimes you'll likely end up going somewhere where you don't need to be like an area for level 20 when you're only level 5 or so, so it makes it more challenging. The only move I can understand is surf and fly. I don't like how you have to ride up waterfalls and magically stop whirlpools. I would like things like that to be affected by the weather more than a Pokémon's ability to stop it.

I wish they would just eliminate the use of HMs all together, personally, but I don't see that happening, unfortunately. I hate having to have HMs on my main Pokémon, or even have an HM slave on my party to begin with.

I guess that's more wishful thinking than anything, though... *sigh*

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
Possible solutions:

-have some pokemon learn old HM moves through leveling up
-turn hms into tms and have them for sale at department stores, also increase the power of the weaker ones
-possibly combine some HMs, like say if you know surf then you can automatically get past whirlpools, or if a pkmn knows rock smash they can climb up rocks without the help of rock climb...well I like rock climb so keep it but get rid of rock smash.

I don't see them making many more HMs, I may be wrong though, so the ones we have now should be the main ones that we always have.

Waffle-San

Blue-Steel
Years
I've never had a huge problem with HM's. I mean ingame Surf, Waterfall (since the physical, special split), Strength, sometimes Fly and even Rock Smash from time to time are useful. I rarely have an HM slave and just get by giving every Pokemon an HM and some water pokmon gets Waterfall and Strength. But I do agree there could be other ways, an HM slot that all Pokemon have and can be filled with a learnable HM.

Possible solutions:

-have some pokemon learn old HM moves through leveling up
-turn hms into tms and have them for sale at department stores, also increase the power of the weaker ones
-possibly combine some HMs, like say if you know surf then you can automatically get past whirlpools, or if a pkmn knows rock smash they can climb up rocks without the help of rock climb...well I like rock climb so keep it but get rid of rock smash.

I don't see them making many more HMs, I may be wrong though, so the ones we have now should be the main ones that we always have.

What about upgrading HM's? Like Surf is still an HM but at first you can't go through whirlpools and waterfalls. But when you beat gym leaders your pokemon's abilities get upgraded so now it has level 2 surf which is the same in battle but now lets it travel through watefalls.

Another possible solution is to let you summon Pokemon from your boxes from anywhere. That way you can summon a Pokemon that knows Cut to get rid of the tree in front of you and then you can send it back. Personally I like the upgrading idea though.

Years
I don't mind HMs that much, just when I forget I don't have the right pokemon with me when I run into a boulder. I'd like something different for no other reason than HMs have become predictable and boring.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
Years
I have a solution, get the main character to do the swimming, climbing, tree chopping, etc. for once, stop the Pokemon abuse. lol.

Ai

; ♥ ~
Years
I like that upgrading idea. Yeah Surf could turn into getting through whirlpools and waterfalls as well so that you don't have to use a separate HM each time you encounter it. Just put a restriction like a gym badge on it.
Rock Smash and Strength could fit together some how I guess.
But I don't see this going to happen unfortunately.

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
Years
Maybe a Pokemon could have a special HM Move slot, or certain Pokemon have a built-in ability for getting past those obstacles. I find it silly how a Tentacool has to learn how to swim, when the ocean's its only habitat. And, as always, NO. MORE. ROCK. SMASH.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
I think HM's should just be removed and those abilities just things that certain Pokemon know naturally. With the count of HM's going up like that, it's just too much and the idea is just stale now. Needs something new and not a pain in the ass.

Years
i dont mind surf and fly because they're at least decent. i hope they dont return defog or flash as an hm. they are horrible. and i like a lot of your guy's ideas. hopefully they do something about it for B and W

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2016
Maybe a Pokemon could have a special HM Move slot, or certain Pokemon have a built-in ability for getting past those obstacles. I find it silly how a Tentacool has to learn how to swim, when the ocean's its only habitat. And, as always, NO. MORE. ROCK. SMASH.

i like the idea to have a HM slot seperate to the 4 other moves. and the idea of upgrading them. but why not incorporate sum ranger skills and just carry around 2 "ranger" pokemon that do all these things. but that may be too much.

GoldvsRed

Geodude is a pretty cool guy.
Years
Wait, why not use Key Items for this sort of thing? We've already seen the Bicycle cross planks, bunny-hop, ride up steep hills, and even dash past crumbling floors. Those are the sort of things the Items could do.

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
Years
HMs were never a problem. If it takes you four pokemon to learn eight HMs, that's your own fault. I have a skarmory with 4 and a bibarel with the other 4 in pearl. wasn't hard for me to figure out. they're common and in both versions

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
Years
  • Seen Apr 25, 2016
Seconding the Key Items. What is the purpose of HMs? To fix Broken Bridges. You do not need moves for this, items will fulfil the exact same function while being a hell of a lot less annoying.

HMs were never a problem. If it takes you four pokemon to learn eight HMs, that's your own fault. I have a skarmory with 4 and a bibarel with the other 4 in pearl. wasn't hard for me to figure out. they're common and in both versions

It's not difficult, no, but very, very irritating. It's not a challenge to go get Tropius and Bibarel out of the PC, it's just an annoying, dull waste of time. Games should be fun, they should not require you to carry out a repetitive and boring task every time you want to cut down a goddamn tree.

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
We only need:
Fly
Surf
Special one for the Region

Because seriously, Rock Smash is a pain, so is Strength which is fine as an actual move.

I think to fix this, maybe we should get actual tools, like a hammer, older players afterall, rock climbing kit, and all that. But keep Surf and Fly.

Years
Hmmm....

I'd love combinations.

However, if Scyther is available, or something else with technician, unlike you guys, I don't hate Cut and Rock Smash!

If I'm right on their original powers, Cut becomes 100, and Rock Smash becomes 80, suddenly making them useful!

But yeah, I've always thought just the size, type, etc. of the pokemon should change it.

I.e. Dragonite and Garchomp, between them, can do everything now.

But, surely they don't need moves for that?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 15, 2016
I agree with Key Items idea. I mean they were planning to have a surfboard in RBY, so why not bring it back? Although in the case of surf, a boat would make more sense as a surfboard is hardly a legitimate mode of transport.

We could easily get away with having only Surf and Fly as HMs. The HM upgrade idea makes sense aswell.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
Maybe when you beat a gym you "earn" the skill to use it (exp. Fly or Surf)They also give you a Copy of the HM so like the old games you can teach it to your pokemon (so you can have surf for attacking) but you dont need the Teach the pokemon the move to use it.

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
Years
i dont mind hms too much. they just dont need 8. 5 is good. fly, surf, cut, strength and dive will do.

Back