• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shiny Pokemon Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 4, 2015
With the large amounts of threads involving shinies, I've decided to make a sticky for all of them. Discuss anything involving shiny Pokemon here that doesn't involve that Shiny Hunters Club going around. Those people have their own thread in the Clubs Thread.

ANYTHING INVOLVING SHINIES GOES HERE.

What is a shiny?
A shiny is a pokemon that is off-color. Shinnies are very rare, so if you come across one, make every attempt you can to catch it.

Is there anything special about a shiny other than the color?
No, shinnies are collector items. A shiny won't be extra powerfull or anything like that.

Where can I find shinnies?
Shinnies can be found any way you can obtain a pokemon, or in the Battle Tower. You can get shinnies by catching them, hatching them or obtaining them from people (i.e. prof. oak). Some people say you can even see a shiny Raltz when Wally finds one in Ru/Sa, and the poocheyna that chases Prof. Britch as well.

How often do shinnies appear?
1 out of every 8195 pokemon is shiny on average.

Can I breed shininess over from a shiny parent?
No, this only worked in GSC. You will still have the same chance as normal in Ru/Sa/Fr/Lg/Em.

How do I know if a pokemon is shiny?
If you run into a shiny in the wild, stars will fly around it as soon as the battle starts. Shinnies are also usually obviously discolored.

Is there a place where I can see what shinnies look like?
Go here. (EDIT: Link is dead. If anyone has a site with the pictures, PM me and I'll replace this dead link.)

FAQ written by SkinnyGreenMan

Last edited:

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
Years
Pok? Breeder said:
Im sorry if this is a spam but i see on sigs stuff about shining pokemon? what are they? is it on LG/FR Can somebody explain it to me.

Thank you.

I don't mind answering to the best of my abliity: Shiny Pokemon are different color schemes of regular Pokemon sprites. They're often found by pure chance in the wild (but the chance is very rare) Or through breeding (also rare chance)
They don't affect a Pokemon's parameters in anyway they're just there for those who think they're "cool" and adds replay value to the game.

Latias1408

Omg! It's Axel! *fangirl-like*
Years
Shiny Pokemon are pkmn that are a different color than normal. Yes they are in FR/LG, and are REALLY hard to find.

Years
Whoa whoa whoa... You said you can get it by breeding? ALL RIGHTY THEN!!!! that means I can have 100% chance of getting a shiny pokemon (although alot longer :P )

(waits for demon chaos to lock the thread)
Chaos this thread is about shiny pokemon come on down and lock it because its not in your thread :P

Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2017
no it doesnt lol....the chances of getting a shiny a baby from a shiny parent are the same chances of catching a shiny .. go to Shiny Hunters CLub im too lazy to post link though its pretty active it oughta be on first page in MCG

Merron

Hope of the Redoran
Years
I am envious of Stewie&Rupert. He has a Shiny Gastly, and just a few weeks ago, I spent most of my FR game-time walking around in Pokemon Tower for hours on end. :( ...Looking for a Shiny Gastly, of course. LoL!

Silly me, and I allowed myself to become discouraged, only to find the Shiny Rattata after deleting three more game files. :P (I have this strange compulsion: restarting my game upon reaching Celadon City, just to try out a new team amd avoid the very boring Rocket Base and Silph Company...) :confused:

xCloudx

Lazy Guy
Years
Should I start replaying my FR game to get shinys? I mean I want to be the game,but it's Pokemon all over again. :(

SkinnyGreenMan

█▓▒═─┤SkinnyG reen├─═ ▒▓█
Years
That is entirely up to you. If you want to restart for shinies, go ahed. If not, that's fine too.

I personaly don't restart my games ever. You can always find shinies without restarting, and there is so much else to do in the games.

xCloudx

Lazy Guy
Years
SkinnyGreenMan said:
That is entirely up to you. If you want to restart for shinies, go ahed. If not, that's fine too.

I personaly don't restart my games ever. You can always find shinies without restarting, and there is so much else to do in the games.

I didn't mean it like that,like playing the game over and get shinys.

mew_master

(don't)ignore paranthesees
Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2005
Did You Know?

i was wondering if anybody has encountered a shiny pokemon in fr/lg. i'll say why when somebody replies.

SkinnyGreenMan

Years
mew_master said:
i was wondering if anybody has encountered a shiny pokemon in fr/lg. i'll say why when somebody replies.
I haven't encountered one in FR/LG yet, but I know people who have, and I know for a fact that you can get them in FR/LG. Why?

underworldhades

Poke'mon Master
Years
in the trainer tower, I encountered a trainer with a shining espeon, I think it was the first in the double type. I also encountered a trainer with a shining meowth I think that was near the end of the first type. I also found that they are in all the games, cuz it's the exact same in both my leaf green and fire red. that is mean, I wish I could get em.

SkinnyGreenMan

Years
underworldhades said:
in the trainer tower, I encountered a trainer with a shining espeon, I think it was the first in the double type. I also encountered a trainer with a shining meowth I think that was near the end of the first type. I also found that they are in all the games, cuz it's the exact same in both my leaf green and fire red. that is mean, I wish I could get em.
There is also a shiny Seaking in the Trainer Tower. As far as I know, those are the only three pokemon that are predefined as shinies.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
I saw a shiny Meowth in the Single mode of Trainer Tower (not easy to tell the difference between shiny and normal), and the shiny Espeon in the Double Battles. No wild shinies yet, unfortunately (last shiny I ever saw in the wild was the Red Gyarados from GSC)

SkinnyGreenMan

Years
Toothache said:
I saw a shiny Meowth in the Single mode of Trainer Tower (not easy to tell the difference between shiny and normal), and the shiny Espeon in the Double Battles. No wild shinies yet, unfortunately (last shiny I ever saw in the wild was the Red Gyarados from GSC)
There's also a shiny seaking in the trainer tower, somewhere.

Vagabond Aeon

The Last In Line
Years
About the Trainer Tower shinies - that's supposed to happen. My guess is GAMEFREAK did it to make us jealous.

Anyway, the only shinies I ever found were a Tentacool (which I released on accident... do'h) and a Meowth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back