• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenLanturn

Interior Crocodile Fraligatr
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 26, 2012
I dont get it, they always seem to be hated on, ive been playing since red and blue and the hoenn bunch seem to be the most vreative and best of all.

Years
Personally I like them :P But to others, they don't like change in Pokemon, so they need to complain about it.
That's how I'm feel about certain D/P Pokemon and the Black/White pokemon

Marx_Ultra

Back in Black!
Years
A lot of pokemon are missing (even the common ones), things like... Onix, Sentret, etc. A lot of these pokemon you have to rely on FR/LG to get, and the Ruby and Sapphire item make you go through more work than needed. But I have nothing against it. In fact, it is one of my faves.

Oh wait, I was talking about the region. Yeah, I agree, they're the best ones. I always love the Heonn pokes. I still play my Emerald since I love it so much. Even though people hate them, they're still my faves. Fourth gen was okay, but still doesn't beat third gen. Contains a lot of "lesser-knowns" that a lot of people don't use (Johto having the most lesser-knowns).

Thordainhammer

Blanker
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2011
I think there have just been increasing levels of hatred for the new pokemon with each generation after R/B/Y. Non of the Hoenn pokemon are outright bad like some of the D/P ones(I mean Spiritomb? Really?), its just not a great bunch.

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
Years
I don't see them getting hated on...

Sinnoh pokemon are the ones that get completely owned though.

Only by people that a nostalgia freaks like me :3

Theodore Bruno

ADORABLOODTHIRSTY
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2011
Hoenn has arguably the best Pokemon designs so far. The reason most people hate gen 3 was because it had a terrible map.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
Years
I think R/S/E are just hated in general. I don't know why. Perhaps everybody was expecting another ZOMGfest like Johto generated and the games fell short of their expectations? Or perhaps that was when the backlash began: any given fandom has a few years of being immortal when it first begins, but then there's a period where fans hate everything about them. Personally the only thing I hated about the Hoenn games was the music. I mostly play Emerald on mute...

As for the Pokémon themselves...I do think a few Hoenn Pokémon were crap, and most of them tend to be ones that show up a lot in later games so this could be why most Hoenn Pokémon get a lot of ire. The sprites weren't the best ever either: even a Pokémon as simple as Geodude looks a bit...um...special. And the Lotad family is a bit based on Mexican stereotypes, imo. Overall, the Pokémon were experimental, and a few just didn't work. But I love Hoenn, I love me my Zigzagoons and Regis, and I'm really hoping for a remake one day. *pulls a kitty face from Shrek 2*.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Hmmm.....I think part of it may be the way the games, Emerald in particular, do drag on a bit.......although it leads to an epic finale with the legends....

....maybe it's coz after then, they spiralled completely out of control? I mean, G/S/C just asked you to catch a legendary pokemon. R/S/E had them destroying everything....but then you stop them. OTT much?

And lol, 10 new legends, compared to 7 in the last generation (one who was unobtainable).

xPsychosocial

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes.
Years
At the time I thought the Hoenn Pokémon had the worst designs of the series. I just felt that the designs of the Pokémon started to get a bit weird at that point. Not all of them are bad though.

Numbers

Say my name
Years
To be honest I'm not actually sure why I don't like the Hoenn Pokemon.
It's not because of change as I liked the 2nd Gen and the 4th Gen.
I liked Ralts, Gardervoir and Metagross though :)
Infact I only recently started liking Gardevoir, for some reason it's because one of my favourite Pokemon actually.
Maybe it was just the designs of the Pokemon? :S

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
Years
  • Age 33
  • WI
  • Seen Feb 14, 2013
Maybe in the future they"ll remake the Hoenn region and make it better and easier to get pokemon in the game and new creative ways... Then everyone will be like WOAH! lol

--I doubt they will do remakes on ruby/sapphire. Just an idea I guess lol :P

ChrisTom

With all regards,
Years
There were several things I did not like about Hoenn, but there are also several things I like ALOT about it.

Routes 119 was one of the best Route designs of all time. It was simply and EPIC WIN. Route 120 was very good as well, and I enjoyed how it was divided into "Segments". Route 111 was good as well and grandly gave the feeling of a wide open desert and scrubland.

Now I did NOT like the sprites or the colors. The colors were way too bright, and I think it would've been nicer if they went with some relaxing pastels. Trees should look greyish green, not like leafy gummy bears.

The tilesets were incredible though.

The music was also very good. Particularly the theme for the Route 111 desert. It sounded very arabian and was my favorite Gen III song.

Now I acturally liked the wide open water routes. This gave a slightly more chaotic feel to the ocean, which is good, because anybody who has been at sea knows it isn't 2 straight lines of rocks.

But my last complaint is that it was very hard to grind and level up your Pokemon. You couldn't really get a good team until the very end of the game.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2015
I love the hoenn region. It is by far my favorite region out of the other 4 but let's see if Isshu changes that xD. Hoenn introduced a lot of pokemon that are now my favorite e.g Blaziken, Ralts and evos, Milotic, Bagon and evos, Groudon, and plenty more.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 12, 2010
It's not so much the Hoenn Pokemon I hated (although I did hate a good many of them, such as Roselia, Trapinch, Treecko and Spinda). It was more the general amount of fail that was Ruby and Sapphire.

I hated the contests, I hated the way people talked, I hated the music (with the exception of Rte. 120/121 and Meteor Falls...EPIC), I hated the fact that they excluded 186 other Pokemon (including most of my all time favorites), I hated the new fishing system, I hated the secret bases (they were the feature I was most excited about, but turned out to be the biggest disappointment), I hated that you couldn't get Pokemon at the Game Corner (only dolls), the list goes on and on

That being said, some of my all time favorite Pokemon came out of RSE, including Aggron, Swampert, Salamence, Metagross, Wailord, Kyogre, Dusclops, Sharpedo... they still got nothing on the first 251 though.

Ruin Maniac

Booshka
Years
i tihkn people hate the third generation the most because it's the generation that has the most change in it.

There are almost 200 old school pokemon that've been excluded from R/B/Y/G/S/C, there were the secret bases that were a massive let down, not to mention a few other things.

On the other hand, there were plenty of good changes and ideas.

Team Magma and Aqua were a refreshing change from the old Team Rocket.

There were the introduction of natures, which completely revolutionized competitive battling.

I believe Ruby and Saphire were a bit of a let down, but Emerald picked the third gen back up

Years
I liked the 3rd gen. You had the cool landscapes, the diving feature, and some cool Pokemon. I especially liked Kyogre, Milotic, blaziken, Sceptile, salamence, and more.

I've only played emerald, and I thought it was a fun game. I really liked the battle frontier (Battle Dome ftw) It is also the hardest pokemon game I've played.

There were a few things I didn't like. One was that the trees look wierd, and the male trainer has white hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back