Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 29th, 2011 (9:04 AM).
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quiet
    @winter wonderland: even though its the same pallettes and trees and what not i would have to give this map a 9/10 for it seeming natural.however i dont like so much the flower's but thats just my tast.
    @winter wonderland about my map:thanks i see what you mean now i hope my next map will be much better then the past 2. thanks for the advice and criticism.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 29th, 2011 (4:32 PM).
    (:
    • Silver Tier

Nature: Calm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland View Post
    This map is really square. Everything you have here comes in man-made fashions. Like the trees, if you observe nature for a hot second, you'll notice that trees don't grow in perfect rows. Mountains aren't exactly a square terrain, either. Uhh.. Let's see, the grass is also in very square patches. The upper patch being a 6x4 rectangle. Try looking at other maps to see how you can give yours a more natural feel.
    Final rating: 2/10

Game: Fire Red
    Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base
    Comments: Me trying it out. First map I made with it. All comments and criticism welcome.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    The map is good though there are some things that bug me a bit. The sides of the map look really straight and don't have any thickness to it. Also, there are some really open places which makes it feel a bit empty when in game play. Also, the map looks really unorganized. Though, I love the shape of your pond, mountains, and your tree positioning. This makes the map feel natural, which I think thats the style you're going for, right? Anyway, I give this map a 7/10.

Now, for my map.

Comments: I haven't posted a map on here for about a year or so now, and I figured why not post a map and improve my mapping like it was back in the day. I'm also using the style Neti tutored me.
    Credits: Neti - For his rombase.

MapShot:
    Spoiler:
    Old June 29th, 2011 (4:57 PM).

Nature: Serious
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Chimchar 9 View Post

The map is good though there are some things that bug me a bit. The sides of the map look really straight and don't have any thickness to it. Also, there are some really open places which makes it feel a bit empty when in game play. Also, the map looks really unorganized. Though, I love the shape of your pond, mountains, and your tree positioning. This makes the map feel natural, which I think thats the style you're going for, right? Anyway, I give this map a 7/10.

Now, for my map.

Comments: I haven't posted a map on here for about a year or so now, and I figured why not post a map and improve my mapping like it was back in the day. I'm also using the style Neti tutored me.

MapShot:
      Spoiler:
      The mountain shape is pretty good, nothing bad there, you might have overdone it with the small rocks, you should remove a couple on the bottom right mountain, the tree placement isn't what i liked though, for me it seems as if the trees were too separated from each other. and makes the map look more empty, try putting the trees a little closer than each other and your map will look amazing

map name:route 1
      hack:none
      Rombase:firered
      comments: it's 2 routes in 1, the route on the right is the route connecting to the starter town, and in that same route, there is a forest up ahead (the two weirdly placed flowers)
      Attached Images
      File Type: png 1stroute.png‎ (86.8 KB, 107 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Old June 30th, 2011 (4:58 AM).
      Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Nature: Quirky
        Quote:
        Now, for my map. ;)

MapShot:
        Spoiler:
        That's a fair rating, I appreciate it! Onto your map. I feel as if you used the trees too sparingly. It makes the map feel empty, plus the ground is white. White reminds someone of blank paper, which is, well, blank. So, when making snow maps, it's best to fill up the map as best as possible. Also, on the ice river, I feel as if you used the cracked ice a bit too much. The rock makes for a good ice puzzle, though. :) The mountains have a very natural feel and I like that. I think around the bridge, you should clear the grass up some. But, the bridge is a nice touch linking the two mountains together. Overall, I give this map a 6/10

My map
        Name: One-of-my-routes-;D
        Hack: None
        Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base. :)
        Comments: Just another route. Be brutally honest. :)
        Mapshot:
        Spoiler:

Some say the world will end in fire,
        Some say in ice.
        From what I've tasted of desire
        I hold with those who favor fire.
        But if it had to perish twice,
        I think I know enough of hate
        To say that for destruction ice
        Is also great
        And would suffice.
        Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | The Leola Project

Old June 30th, 2011 (6:31 AM).
        Booted out - don't be like me!

@winter wonderland..lmao brutfully honest... i likt the map but i dont like the stuff floating on the water.........i think the map could have a litttle more of a twist but its good either way6/10

map name:route 194
          rom:pokemon legends ebb
          Spoiler:

please tell me the truth.
          Old June 30th, 2011 (10:00 AM).
          (:
          • Silver Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by demondismon View Post
          @winter wonderland..lmao brutfully honest... i likt the map but i dont like the stuff floating on the water.........i think the map could have a litttle more of a twist but its good either way6/10

map name:route 194
          rom:pokemon legends ebb
          Spoiler:

please tell me the truth.
          This map is very square. When mapping make the border first, then add a bunch of trees in the corners to make it less square. Your mountains are very poorly made. Make'em more natrual and zigzag look. (You will see this in my map.) Your map is also poorly made, make it a bit bigger and add more corners to it, to make it more round. Also, I don't think you plan your maps well because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere really. I give this a 2/10

Game: Fire Red.
          Comments: This is other map I posted but improved. Please rate.
          Credits: Neti for his rombase.
          Mapshots:
          Spoiler:
          Old June 30th, 2011 (6:11 PM).
          Graphics Artist

Nature: Relaxed
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Winter Wonderland View Post

My map
            Name: One-of-my-routes-;D
            Hack: None
            Credits: Anbuja's_BlooDy for letting me use his base.
            Comments: Just another route. Be brutally honest.
            Mapshot:
            Spoiler:
            Okay, I'm going to be totally honest right now. I really like this map, it's plain, and straightforward. The placement of the things in the water on the bottom right corner could be a bit more spread out, but it's good. The ONLY real problem I have with this is some of the random blank spots around the trees. I know I don't do much mapping, but this map would be good enough to put in a hack, I would rate it an 8/10. But I'm just a nub when it comes to maps :p

☆ | Click | My Sig | For | My | DeviantArt | ☆
            Old July 2nd, 2011 (3:32 AM).

Nature: Sassy
              Quote:

Game: Fire Red.
              Comments: This is other map I posted but improved. Please rate.
              Credits: Neti for his rombase.
              Mapshots:
              Spoiler:
              I'm pretty impressed by this map honestly. No tile errors that I could see, not even any shading errors hah. I also very much like the whole snow theme it looks amazing. Even the snow on top of the sign looks natural. The only issue is that if you don't decide to connect from all sides obviously some of the boundaries are going to be off.
              9/10 Very well done.

Now for mine.
              Map name: Thunderfalls Town
              Map Game: Leaf Green (With original tiles)
              Comments: I wasn't really sure which tiles to use on the side of the waterfall. Also one of my first maps, It seems really empty I'm not sure what else to put in it.

Spoiler:
              Old July 5th, 2011 (4:02 PM).
              It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.

Nature: Brave
                Quote:
                Now for mine.
                Comments: I wasn't really sure which tiles to use on the side of the waterfall. Also one of my first maps, It seems really empty I'm not sure what else to put in it.

Spoiler:
                Rating: 7 out of 10
                Reason: Given that this is an early map, I have to say you've done some decent work. The overall layout is well done, but I would change a few things. Try making the coast of the water a bit more rounded (espically if you're going for a natural feel). The waterfalls look nice, but the small pool in the middle seems a little off to me. Perhaps, If you're looking to make the middle water fall look further back Try setting up the tiles like:
                ...... ______
                ____|........|_____ (dots are there to keep it shaped properly)

To try and fill up the map a bit more, I would use the smaller trees (lightly; maybe 5-8 at most). And maybe some more fences (along part of the border of the town, or some of the path way.) I'd also suggest a few more rocks in the water.
                Don't be afraid of using the detail blocks (fencing, flowers, bushes, etc.), But don't clog the map up to the point you can't get around. I try to cover about 10% of my open space with details in towns and cities, 20% for average routes and 30% for rugged wild areas. Try to use the details to explain what your area is like (less yet orderly for more urban areas, and more naturally and randomly placed for more Rural areas, more rocks in mountains, and more flowers in Fields.)

I do have to tell you of the shading errors, and also you have the wrong tile on the left corner of the base of the left waterfall.

(I hope I wan't too harsh sounding, and I apologize if I was)

Well, Here's my Map:

Game: personal Project of mine
                ROM: Fire Red
                Comments: Route Four wraps around the base of a large mountain, you can walk the low road around across the lakes, or the high road on the side of the mountain. (warning it's a large map)
                Map
                Spoiler:
                Old July 6th, 2011 (1:10 AM).
                • Gold Tier

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Plumpyfoof View Post
                Now for mine.

Spoiler:
                As you said, it seems pretty empty. Try adding more trees, fences, bush, decoration, etc.
                you're using the wrong ledge tile near the cave, and you have quite a few tree shading errors.
                the mountain with waterfalls looks a bit square too. you've got tile errors at the back of the GYM and the rock in the middle of the water below the cave.

on the bright side, it seems to be a pretty good map for a beginner. the only main problem I see with it is that it's a bit too empty. :D
                --------------------------------------------------------
                Name: Route 1
                Game: FR
                Comments: A simple route at the beginning of the game. ignore the tree shading errors, i've fixed them. :3
                Spoiler:
                Old July 6th, 2011 (2:50 AM). Edited July 6th, 2011 by Logan.
                • Platinum Tier

Nature: Sassy
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by chrunch View Post
                As you said, it seems pretty empty. Try adding more trees, fences, bush, decoration, etc.
                you're using the wrong ledge tile near the cave, and you have quite a few tree shading errors.
                the mountain with waterfalls looks a bit square too. you've got tile errors at the back of the GYM and the rock in the middle of the water below the cave.

on the bright side, it seems to be a pretty good map for a beginner. the only main problem I see with it is that it's a bit too empty. :D
                Comments: A simple route at the beginning of the game. ignore the tree shading errors, i've fixed them. :3
                Spoiler:
                I'm afraid I think this map is horrible. First thing's first there's an unnecessary overload of flowers and half of their placements are extremely eyeblinding and badly placed. I'm not sure if you're aware but ledges are usually used so that the map can be navigated through a lot quicker second time around, not to just, kinda, be there in the first place. Also, what's up with there being no grass that you have to go through? The paths are terribly done also, as they're all different sizes and shapes, placed in random places and honesty don't correlate to the map too much.

4/5 out of 10
                They went silent, they're all weirdos
                Old July 6th, 2011 (4:21 AM).
                Super Pokemon Eevee Edition

Quote:
                  Spoiler:
                  Map's not bad, Flowers could use some editing in the colour department, they're eye straining. more contrast would do it good.
                  The trees on the left side of the map could be rounded off, Tried writing a diagram. (lines are trees)

|
                  |
                  |----
                  |
                  |
                  should be more like
                  |
                  |-
                  |-----
                  |--
                  |

The pathway along the upper right side of the map should be wider(?) Try not making any pathways just one step wide. Also, the tree stump should be moved away from the ledge, so people can't jump onto it and probably get stuck. Same applies to the sign under the ledge on the right.

5/10- can be bumbed to a ~7 with modifications.
                  Old July 6th, 2011 (4:34 AM).
                  Guess who's back?

Nature: Naughty
                    Quote:

Spoiler:
                    5.5/10 :/
                    There's far to many flowers maybe it's coz there yellow and more notable but also there isnt enough tall grass to make it a proper route.
                    The player could probally get through their with no battle at all.
                    Old July 6th, 2011 (4:15 PM).
                    Avid Gambler

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Cyndaquil312 View Post
                      Rating: 7 out of 10
                      Reason: Given that this is an early map, I have to say you've done some decent work. The overall layout is well done, but I would change a few things. Try making the coast of the water a bit more rounded (espically if you're going for a natural feel). The waterfalls look nice, but the small pool in the middle seems a little off to me. Perhaps, If you're looking to make the middle water fall look further back Try setting up the tiles like:
                      ...... ______
                      ____|........|_____ (dots are there to keep it shaped properly)

To try and fill up the map a bit more, I would use the smaller trees (lightly; maybe 5-8 at most). And maybe some more fences (along part of the border of the town, or some of the path way.) I'd also suggest a few more rocks in the water.
                      Don't be afraid of using the detail blocks (fencing, flowers, bushes, etc.), But don't clog the map up to the point you can't get around. I try to cover about 10% of my open space with details in towns and cities, 20% for average routes and 30% for rugged wild areas. Try to use the details to explain what your area is like (less yet orderly for more urban areas, and more naturally and randomly placed for more Rural areas, more rocks in mountains, and more flowers in Fields.)

I do have to tell you of the shading errors, and also you have the wrong tile on the left corner of the base of the left waterfall.

(I hope I wan't too harsh sounding, and I apologize if I was)

Well, Here's my Map:

Game: personal Project of mine
                      ROM: Fire Red
                      Comments: Route Four wraps around the base of a large mountain, you can walk the low road around across the lakes, or the high road on the side of the mountain. (warning it's a large map)
                      Map
                      Spoiler:
                      Wow, that is a big map...

OK, first of all, you seem to have one-tile puddles all over the map and it looks just plain weird. There also are quite a few tree shading errors. But really other than that the map looks excellent
                      10/10 good job!

Map name: _____ Town
                      Map game: Pokemon _________ Version
                      Rom: Fire Red
                      Credits: Mitchel1, Alistair, Kyledove
                      Attached Images
                      File Type: png pizza.png‎ (64.9 KB, 70 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                      Old July 7th, 2011 (2:02 AM).
                      Invisible

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Starchomp View Post
                        Wow, that is a big map...

OK, first of all, you seem to have one-tile puddles all over the map and it looks just plain weird. There also are quite a few tree shading errors. But really other than that the map looks excellent
                        10/10 good job!

Map name: _____ Town
                        Map game: Pokemon _________ Version
                        Rom: Fire Red
                        Credits: Mitchel1, Alistair, Kyledove
                        well i have to say i like this map it looks very well done
                        it seems as you may have some border errors but i dont think they will be vissible for the player i like the natural style of the trees and usage of the plants 10\10

my map
                        name map 1
                        game .... no name
                        just to test
                        Spoiler:

feel free to comment critise and all
                        Old July 7th, 2011 (6:10 AM).

Quote:
                          Spoiler:
                          Rate :7/10
                          Reviewed Map: Look very good for Route 101.... But for a route with trainers with pokemon level 20-100 it is very small and empty.

Flowers: There are a smallnumber of yello flowers and they never are few together. So change the pallete color if you can and make the blue or red or another color.
                          Logs: Those logs are not well placed. Well take a look at the photo adove so you may understand what i want to ay to you.....
                          Spoiler:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Map Name: Radien City

Map Game: Pokemon Ruby (Time Traveler)

Comments: A new city with new houses a raido station. (Rightthe entrance to Team Tim HQ)

Spoiler:
                          Old July 7th, 2011 (8:13 AM).
                          Invisible

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by PaulGR View Post
                            Reviewed Map: Look very good for Route 101.... But for a route with trainers with pokemon level 20-100 it is very small and empty.

Flowers: There are a smallnumber of yello flowers and they never are few together. So change the pallete color if you can and make the blue or red or another color.
                            Logs: Those logs are not well placed. Well take a look at the photo adove so you may understand what i want to ay to you.....
                            Spoiler:

Comments: A new city with new houses a raido station. (Rightthe entrance to Team Tim HQ)

Spoiler:
                            ohk firrst off i have to say i dont like the way you mixed the grass palletes stick with one pallete or use a pathway... its very big and open i see many tile errors for example the staits going on the side have errors the radio stations one bit looks light ping you may want to make it blend i more ... and the trees well the trees arnt that bad but just dont fit in..
                            Old July 7th, 2011 (9:55 AM).
                            Banned

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by PaulGR View Post

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                              4/10
                              It's really bad coloring and tiles IMO... If you redo the pallets and tiles it might be good. I also looks kinda dull and boring, but you got the basics and at least attempted editing tiles.
                              Old July 8th, 2011 (2:48 PM).
                              DEFINITELY needs to stop now

Nature: Naughty
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by demondismon View Post
                                mapname: route 2
                                rom: pokemon dark legacy
                                style: mine
                                Spoiler:

if you think my maps and style suck im sorry.. but i will never be able to make you happy.. ok my maps are my maps but i will try to improve but i will need your help
                                I love the tiles and palette here, and the route itself looks pretty good. However, I've gotta say...it's a blatant Route 102 edit. I'm sorry, but it had to be said. I'm afraid I'll have to give this a 3/10. It's not an eyesore, but it's a blatant edit.

Now for my map:
                                http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61085&stc=1&d=1310165243
                                It's a forest I made for a now-defunct hack for my old hacking team. I'd say it's one of my most natural looking works, as most of my maps are GF-style.
                                Attached Images
                                File Type: png destiny grove.PNG‎ (179.8 KB, 96 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                Old July 8th, 2011 (5:16 PM).
                                Banned

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Controversial? View Post
                                  I love the tiles and palette here, and the route itself looks pretty good. However, I've gotta say...it's a blatant Route 102 edit. I'm sorry, but it had to be said. I'm afraid I'll have to give this a 3/10. It's not an eyesore, but it's a blatant edit.

Now for my map:
                                  http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61085&stc=1&d=1310165243
                                  It's a forest I made for a now-defunct hack for my old hacking team. I'd say it's one of my most natural looking works, as most of my maps are GF-style.
                                  It probably looks good in game, but from the whole map it's ver monochrome. Too light green. Also, very straightforward. And the normal tiles are placed wierd. Nice idea though, but not a quality map IMO
                                  4/10
                                  Old July 9th, 2011 (3:03 AM).
                                  Master Trainer

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Controversial? View Post
                                    The map has to much flowers on some parts.You've got some places where the player is forced to walk on only one tile, not that its a major error but you should avoid it.Beside that i like your map it's big and it's got more than one path.My rating is 7.5/10 (don't take this review seriously, i'm really bad at this xD)

Now my map:
                                    Credits:NETI for his rombase.
                                    Game:FireRed Frozen Rombase
                                    Map name:No Name
                                    Additional Comments:Well i haven't made a map for a year now so i decided make one fast so it's probably gonna be weird.

Spoiler:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                                    Old July 9th, 2011 (11:11 AM). Edited July 9th, 2011 by ruup20.
                                    Gonna splash everybody!

Nature: Jolly
                                      Rated Map:
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by RedFan View Post
                                      The map has to much flowers on some parts.You've got some places where the player is forced to walk on only one tile, not that its a major error but you should avoid it.Beside that i like your map it's big and it's got more than one path.My rating is 7.5/10 (don't take this review seriously, i'm really bad at this xD)

Now my map:
                                      Credits:NETI for his rombase.
                                      Game:FireRed Frozen Rombase
                                      Map name:No Name
                                      Additional Comments:Well i haven't made a map for a year now so i decided make one fast so it's probably gonna be weird.

Spoiler:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                                      Rating: 8.5
                                      Reason: A really nice map, maybe a more natural style, like less straigt cliffs. And a tile error in the right corner
                                      Suggestions: like I said less straight cliffs or less blocky grass

And this is mine:
                                      Map Name: Platinum Town
                                      Map Game: Pokemon Ruby
                                      Comments: The first town in my hack, credits to Wesley FG, Alistar and Red-Ex
                                      Mapshot:
                                      Spoiler:

I really need a advanced scripter for my hack and a good storyline-guy,
                                      Thank you.
                                      Old July 10th, 2011 (7:25 PM). Edited November 19th, 2011 by Sabotage.
                                      fly free with me

Nature: Impish
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by ruup20 View Post
                                        Rated Map:
                                        The tiles on this map are good, I like the houses and path best. However, more importantly, there is way too much empty space, and humans generally build buildings in straight lines. This just looks random and stretched out.
                                        Rating: 5/10
                                        Old July 12th, 2011 (6:27 AM).

Nature: Modest
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by ruup20 View Post
                                          And this is mine:
                                          The map's structure is not bad, but it looks unfinished because of the empty space. You could fill it with more trees, for example, or with flowers and other decoration tiles 5/10

Map Name: n/a
                                          Map Game: Fire Red
                                          Comments: This map brought me the win in a mapping contest on a German ROM hacking board
                                          Mapshot: See attachment below, since I don't have enough posts to post URLs :x
                                          Attached Images
                                          File Type: png mappingwb.png‎ (329.9 KB, 170 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                          Old July 12th, 2011 (7:05 AM).
                                          Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by skyfall View Post
                                            Comments: This map brought me the win in a mapping contest on a German ROM hacking board
                                            I'm seeing why u won it
                                            this mapp look very very very very very good it have an amazing structure.
                                            At some parts u used one tile paths try avoiding those a little more because it hinders the movement of the player , otherwise really great map

Quick Reply