Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

Closed Thread

Old November 30th, 2011 (3:32 PM).
Yours truly
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.L View Post
Rom:firered
Map:testmap
Comments: testing the map and tiles...
Credits. Of-Nihiltiy
Prince legandario
Shaun frost

Map:
Have you ever tried to walk diagonally in-game? It's annoying as hell. It looks like you were going for a more "natural" approach with thin, diagonal paths but if you take your entire map and rotate it forty-five degrees clockwise it just makes a U. So in reality, it's just as bland as Game Freak's maps but it's twice as hard to navigate because the player has to alternate D-Pad buttons the entire time. Always remember that you're making a game. No one is going to play a game if they can't even get around the overworld.

Brother of Vrai

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 3rd, 2011 (6:20 AM). Edited December 3rd, 2011 by ares10.

Nature: Brave
    [FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"][B]
    Quote:
    Not bad but it looks more of a route than a forest its nice and natural, the grass is in a good shape there is a tile error by the satirs near the water :/ if you cant find it its more a mountain error. thats all i see so i know you all like rating....... 7/10
    good but could use some touch ups
    Rating: 7/10
    Comments: I like the shape of the map and how natural the shape is. I think it needs more color , the grass is too solid, the trails could be more textured, i think the tree look good same with the rocks.

Firered rom
    Map Name: Gallifrey
    Credit: allistair for the mountain tiles
    Comments: This was a map that i've wanted to make for a while but never found the time or didn't know where to start. I made the trails and the ovals myself, the circles are like shallow craters Its very big.

Spoiler:

Hacks I support:
    Old December 3rd, 2011 (4:32 PM).

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by ares10 View Post
      [FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Black"][SIZE="3"][B]

Rating: 7/10
      Comments: I like the shape of the map and how natural the shape is. I think it needs more color , the grass is too solid, the trails could be more textured, i think the tree look good same with the rocks.

Firered rom
      Map Name: Gallifrey
      Credit: allistair for the mountain tiles
      Comments: This was a map that i've wanted to make for a while but never found the time or didn't know where to start. I made the trails and the ovals myself, the circles are like shallow craters Its very big.

Spoiler:
      The first thing I noticed about this map was the long distance between buildings, especially the building at the south, for the player it may be tiring having to walk from the north to south or even the east to west of this map, for the players sake I hope they don't have to travel to the south building too often.

The craters on the mountain like a little out of place, perhaps change the palette of the mountain craters so they don't look so "added on".

Another thing that leaps out is the squareness of a lot of the mountains, and the vast amount of empty space. With a bigger map like this to have nothing but grass and paths in the city makes it seem big and empty.

Although, I do like the idea behind the map and I think it has a unique and interesting look to it.

Overall: 5/10.

FireRed rom
      Map Name: Route 101
      Credits: Wesley FG, Arboles, Zein, Peyi, Femok, Spriter K and Ray Maverick for inspiration
      Comments: Just a simple route, testing out tiles and mapping skills after a hiatus.

Old December 8th, 2011 (5:17 PM). Edited December 9th, 2011 by hinkage.
      Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
      • Gold Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Nero_Forever View Post
      The first thing I noticed about this map was the long distance between buildings, especially the building at the south, for the player it may be tiring having to walk from the north to south or even the east to west of this map, for the players sake I hope they don't have to travel to the south building too often.

The craters on the mountain like a little out of place, perhaps change the palette of the mountain craters so they don't look so "added on".

Another thing that leaps out is the squareness of a lot of the mountains, and the vast amount of empty space. With a bigger map like this to have nothing but grass and paths in the city makes it seem big and empty.

Although, I do like the idea behind the map and I think it has a unique and interesting look to it.

Overall: 5/10.

FireRed rom
      Map Name: Route 101
      Credits: Wesley FG, Arboles, Zein, Peyi, Femok, Spriter K and Ray Maverick for inspiration
      Comments: Just a simple route, testing out tiles and mapping skills after a hiatus.

It looks more like a forest than a route. It doesn't look bad; it looks pretty natural, but I think the tall grass would look better if it were less sparse in some places.

Other than that I think the tall grass tiles are ugly. But this isn't a tile review thread.

Map:
      Spoiler:

Comments: The first Route for privileged Trainers. Gamefreak style map.
      Credits: WeslyFG and Gamefreak for tiles.
      Old December 9th, 2011 (2:26 AM).
      Invisible

Nature: Quiet
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
        It looks more like a forest than a route. It doesn't look bad; it looks pretty natural, but I think the tall grass would look better if it were less sparse in some places.

Other than that I think the tall grass tiles are ugly. But this isn't a tile review thread.

Map:
        Spoiler:

Comments: The first Route for privileged Trainers. Gamefreak style map.
        Pallete clash is first i meen the floor is kinda dull but the paths are as bright as anything :/
        ohk well i see you say gamefreak style, also the water you have implied as you can see the bottom right? but i meen on the mountains its flat you may wanna make it seem as if it looks like the mountain (bottom bit are covered in water too) [i hope you understand what i meen] the stairs far right are way to long i meen really?

my map
        pokemon corona
        ruby
        route one thats all, trees are made smaller (i hate mapping with those extra bits)
        Spoiler:
        Old December 9th, 2011 (3:37 PM).

Quote:
          Pallete clash is first i meen the floor is kinda dull but the paths are as bright as anything :/
          ohk well i see you say gamefreak style, also the water you have implied as you can see the bottom right? but i meen on the mountains its flat you may wanna make it seem as if it looks like the mountain (bottom bit are covered in water too) [i hope you understand what i meen] the stairs far right are way to long i meen really?

my map
          pokemon corona
          ruby
          route one thats all, trees are made smaller (i hate mapping with those extra bits)
          Spoiler:
          I do like the tileset and palette you have, but the map could definitely use some improvement. For starters, there is way too much tall grass on the map. Like an insane amount. Id thin the grass out quite a bit so this route isn't a major pita to go through (and you say this is your route 1? holy crap thats a lot of grass...)

There's also a huge number of one-tile-pathways. If I'm gonna play a game, I want to be able to move around and explore. One-tile-pathways are the opposite of what is needed. I'd suggest Opening the map up a bit, so the player has room to move around.

I don't see any actual tile errors though (besides the lack of shadows between the trees), so that is a plus

I'd rate 6/10. It'd be higher if it wasn't so restrictive to the player's movement.

And here's mine

Map: Acacia City
          Rom: Firered
          Hack: My unreleased project
          Credits: uh... i have a list somewhere

(Note: The palette-swapped Saffron City houses will change as soon as I find a substitute that I like)
          Old December 9th, 2011 (5:52 PM).
          Solo Runner

Quote:
            Originally Posted by darkprince909 View Post
            Map: Acacia City
            Hack: My unreleased project
            Credits: uh... i have a list somewhere

Spoiler:

(Note: The palette-swapped Saffron City houses will change as soon as I find a substitute that I like)
            This is a pretty good map, very well organized. It's nice for once to see a city that actually seems to have a building plan. It's very square, but the fact that it's a large city makes this fact self-explanatory. However, the mountains outside of the city could probably be made a little less square.

However, there are a couple of discrepancies that make it seem less organized. For example, the left entrance has the path sticking out past the brick 'sidewalks', compared to the North and South entries, which have the bricks before the path.

Another thing is that the path width/height seems to vary throughout the map. On routes where the paths are less planned, this makes sense; however, in a city, it looks remarkably sloppy.

Otherwise, this map is good. I'd give it a 7/10.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            My map:
            Name: Not named, just a bit of a test with a different tileset.
            ROM: Fire Red
            Hack: N/A
            Credits: ROM Base Tiles by Synyster Zeikku, Alistair, Peyi, Kyledove, and TB Pro
            Comments: Once again, I'm trying to brush off the dust on my mapping skills with a new tileset. The idea: a slightly mountainous route that connects three cities - a town, a mid-sized city, and a metropolis. The grass free path between the right city and the middle city is a highly traveled trading route, so it's grass free for that reason.
            Map:
            Spoiler:

ALSO ANOTHER ULTIMATE SOLO CHALLENGE
            Devonshire the Sableye [FR-SS-E-PT-W]

Completed Challenges:

Psycho the Beldum/Metang/Metagross [FR-SS-E-PT-W]
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Titan the Nidoran♂/Nidorino/Nidoking [B-C-R-PT-W]
            --------------------------------------------
            Regular Solo Challenge:
            Razor the Drilbur/Excadrill [BLACK]
            Beat Team Plasma | Beat Champion Alder
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Venom the Venipede/Whirlipede/Scolipede [BLACK]
            Old December 10th, 2011 (2:15 AM).
            Invisible

Quote:
              Originally Posted by wingman11 View Post
              This is a pretty good map, very well organized. It's nice for once to see a city that actually seems to have a building plan. It's very square, but the fact that it's a large city makes this fact self-explanatory. However, the mountains outside of the city could probably be made a little less square.

However, there are a couple of discrepancies that make it seem less organized. For example, the left entrance has the path sticking out past the brick 'sidewalks', compared to the North and South entries, which have the bricks before the path.

Another thing is that the path width/height seems to vary throughout the map. On routes where the paths are less planned, this makes sense; however, in a city, it looks remarkably sloppy.

Otherwise, this map is good. I'd give it a 7/10.
              My map:
              Name: Not named, just a bit of a test with a different tileset.
              Credits: ROM Base Tiles by Synyster Zeikku, Alistair, Peyi, Kyledove, and TB Pro
              Comments: Once again, I'm trying to brush off the dust on my mapping skills with a new tileset. The idea: a slightly mountainous route that connects three cities - a town, a mid-sized city, and a metropolis. The grass free path between the right city and the middle city is a highly traveled trading route, so it's grass free for that reason.
              Map:
              Spoiler:

well i like this map i love the feel it gies its in good shape, i have to say one route connecting 3 places in boring i meen just one route 3 places. but anyways its great love the mountains shape too.

i spoted a tile error on the top of the mountain.

map name??
              game corona
              ruby
              comments small quite town inbetween mountanous areas. only way in and out is through caves.
              Spoiler:
              Old December 10th, 2011 (6:30 AM).
              Gonna splash everybody!

Nature: Jolly
                Quote:
                well i like this map i love the feel it gies its in good shape, i have to say one route connecting 3 places in boring i meen just one route 3 places. but anyways its great love the mountains shape too.

i spoted a tile error on the top of the mountain.

map name??
                game corona
                ruby
                comments small quite town inbetween mountanous areas. only way in and out is through caves.
                Spoiler:
                I like that little garden at the left of that house, but I don't like the fact that if you exit the cave an you jump off, you can't return to that cave. But everything else is very nice. I looks also natural.

Rating: 7.9/10

My map:
                Name: No name
                Game: Not a game just made for fun
                Comments: Tiles by Chimcharsfireworkd.
                Map:
                Spoiler:

I really need a advanced scripter for my hack and a good storyline-guy,
                Thank you.
                Old December 10th, 2011 (8:36 PM).
                Solo Runner

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by ruup20 View Post
                  My map:
                  Name: No name
                  Game: Not a game just made for fun
                  Comments: Tiles by Chimcharsfireworkd.
                  Map:
                  Spoiler:
                  This is a pretty sturdy map. If you were shooting for a park, you hit the mark squarely. The grass is placed very neatly and the treeline and mountains are very natural. However, the small trees next to the flower patch feel slightly out of place.

My only other complaint is that the path is very zig-zaggy. Since the player can't walk in a diagonal, walking this path becomes very annoying and tedious. I understand the idea, but it doesn't work well in this type of game.

Rating: 8/10
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  My map:
                  Name: Unnamed Starter Town
                  Comments: A simple starting town. Connects to my other map in the upper right corner. I improved a couple of the tiles, namely the weeds.
                  Spoiler:

Completed Challenges:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Regular Solo Challenge:
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Old December 11th, 2011 (1:25 AM).
                  Invisible

Quote:
                    This is a pretty sturdy map. If you were shooting for a park, you hit the mark squarely. The grass is placed very neatly and the treeline and mountains are very natural. However, the small trees next to the flower patch feel slightly out of place.

My only other complaint is that the path is very zig-zaggy. Since the player can't walk in a diagonal, walking this path becomes very annoying and tedious. I understand the idea, but it doesn't work well in this type of game.

Rating: 8/10
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    My map:
                    Name: Unnamed Starter Town
                    Comments: A simple starting town. Connects to my other map in the upper right corner. I improved a couple of the tiles, namely the weeds.
                    Spoiler:
                    Its good i see no errors no one tile paths. the houses i have a masll issue with as you took the big house and minimized it, and they look very awkward to say the least.
                    but over all i like it 8/10

Solaris dessert
                    ruby
                    pokemon corona
                    Its a simple dessert to the next town (and dont say its to diagonal as its not 90% of it you walk down and left :/)
                    Spoiler:
                    Old December 11th, 2011 (11:57 AM).
                    • Platinum Tier
                    • GTGet-Together Event Management
                    • PokéCommunity Daily
                    • Discord Moderoid
                    • Developer

Quote:

Solaris dessert
                    ruby
                    pokemon corona
                    Its a simple dessert to the next town (and dont say its to diagonal as its not 90% of it you walk down and left :/)
                    Spoiler:
                    It's very good, but it probably wouldn't have a paved road if it's a desert, and those empty grassy spaces look weird, put trees there or something. Love the tiles though.

Map Name: Evergreen Town
                    Map Game: Pokemon Dark
                    Credits: ~SiLvErDrAgOn~
                    Comments: A starter town with an uncreative name.
                    Spoiler:

pgc discord daily mkj
                    paired with colours
                    Old December 11th, 2011 (3:24 PM). Edited December 11th, 2011 by Starchomp.
                    Avid Gambler

Nature: Calm
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by HackDeoxys View Post
                      It's very good, but it probably wouldn't have a paved road if it's a desert, and those empty grassy spaces look weird, put trees there or something. Love the tiles though.

Map Name: Evergreen Town
                      Map Game: Pokemon Dark
                      Credits: ~SiLvErDrAgOn~
                      Comments: A starter town with an uncreative name.
                      Spoiler:
                      Well let's see, you made the path too wide and inconsistent in size, and it appears you have used the same grass tile again and again. But other than that, it's a pretty solid map.

Ok, here goes.

Map Name: Kernite Town
                      Map Game: Fire Red
                      Comments: The final version of the starter town in my hack. I know I can improve it but I'm not sure how. That's why I'm posting it here.
                      Credits: Zein, WesleyFG
                      Spoiler:
                      Old December 12th, 2011 (10:43 AM).
                      Solo Runner

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Starchomp View Post
                        Well let's see, you made the path too wide and inconsistent in size, and it appears you have used the same grass tile again and again. But other than that, it's a pretty solid map.

Ok, here goes.

Comments: The final version of the starter town in my hack. I know I can improve it but I'm not sure how. That's why I'm posting it here.
                        Spoiler:
                        This is a very nice map. The variation of trees feels good and not too random, and the house placement is very organized. The paths on the left and right side could probably be connected to the paths leading out of the town, though it's not really necessary and they look fine as it.

However, the main thing that catches my eye in a bad way are the 'bumps' of path near the lab. They would look better if they didn't return to their original 'trajectory', if you will, after a few tiles. Either make them completely straight, or lengthen the deviation for a few more tiles.

Final Rating: 9/10
                        Summary for Improvement: Fix the paths by the lab and this map is good by me.
                        My map:
                        Name: No name route
                        Comments: Another route leading out of the previously posted starter town.
                        Spoiler:

Completed Challenges:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Regular Solo Challenge:
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Old December 18th, 2011 (1:45 PM).

Quote:

Ok, here goes.

Spoiler:
                          this is a very clean map, (im new so dont take this badly) i like the set up i really dont see anything wrong with this map. btw i love the variety of trees 9/10

map: lingering forest.
                          game: ruby (hack)
                          credit's: non due to original game tiles being used.
                          extra: this is my first map so please give me as much criticism as needed.
                          Old December 18th, 2011 (2:44 PM).
                          • Platinum Tier
                          • PokéCommunity Daily
                          • Discord Moderoid
                          • Developer

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by X80relianthope View Post

This map needs a lot of work. Those trees are horrible, even if they're the default R/S/E trees they definitely need changing. You got the tree shading wrong as well. That building really looks bad that small, you need to make it bigger. And the small path is useless, because human's don't just build paths for no particular reason; if it's leading nowhere, erase it.
                          Rating: 0/
                          Nah, I'm just messing with ya. 3/10.

pgc discord daily mkj
                          paired with colours
                          Old December 18th, 2011 (3:48 PM).
                          Solo Runner

Sorry if this is in violation, but it seems that my map was left out because of a bad link which rendered the image to be broken (for which I apologize), so here's a little bump to get my map back up for grabs. I included the original review as well in case proof of my having rating is needed.
                            Quote:
                            Quote:

Ok, here goes.

Spoiler:
                            This is a very nice map. The variation of trees feels good and not too random, and the house placement is very organized. The paths on the left and right side could probably be connected to the paths leading out of the town, though it's not really necessary and they look fine as it.

However, the main thing that catches my eye in a bad way are the 'bumps' of path near the lab. They would look better if they didn't return to their original 'trajectory', if you will, after a few tiles. Either make them completely straight, or lengthen the deviation for a few more tiles.

Final Rating: 9/10
                            Summary for Improvement: Fix the paths by the lab and this map is good by me.
                            My map:
                            Spoiler:

Completed Challenges:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Regular Solo Challenge:
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            Old December 22nd, 2011 (1:25 PM). Edited December 22nd, 2011 by TheLottery.

Map Name: Mineral Town
                              Comments: My first attempt at a map, using no custom tiles. It would be a starter town, though I know it is large. The blue roofed house is the Professors. The ranch behind the lab won't be accessible until you beat the elite four; I'm deciding upon whether or not to make some wild pokemon there or not.

Edit: I discovered tile errors on the path by the upper left house
                              Attached Images
                              File Type: png Mineral Town.png‎ (161.6 KB, 126 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                              Old December 24th, 2011 (2:49 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by TheLottery View Post
                                Comments: My first attempt at a map, using no custom tiles. It would be a starter town, though I know it is large. The blue roofed house is the Professors. The ranch behind the lab won't be accessible until you beat the elite four; I'm deciding upon whether or not to make some wild pokemon there or not.

This is a very solid and nice map. Overall, I'd give it a 8.5/10. Things you might be able to improve upon, in my opinion, are, first and foremost, the use of flowers. They are everywhere and too concentrated, especially above the middle house with the blue roof. Also, there seems to be a lot of grass. Try organizing the trees and adding more of them to fill some of that empty space. My final piece of advice would be to put in more styles of grass. They are all that one tile and some variety or replacement with dirt would be helpful. I really liked your mountain mapping. The rocks and cliffs have a very natural feel to them. Also, I like that the town is spread out, instead of the cluster of buildings so often seen in the starter maps.

Now to my map.
                                Name: Route 12
                                ROM Base: Fire Red
                                Warning: Large map
                                Spoiler:
                                Old December 25th, 2011 (1:16 AM).
                                • Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
                                Quote:

What I liked is the structure of the town, it's amazing. Ground wall structure and flower placement are good too, but you need to improve the tree & grass placement. The trees (mostly the ones in the bottom, and I'm guessing you're following that style in the entire hack/all of your maps) seem random which is very distracting to the eye and gameplay. The grass in the upper right is kinda random as well. Nintendo's original formula suggests grass in patches, and no grass in towns.
                                It seems like you tried to make something natural; well you only failed the trees, so I'm gonna give you a 8/10
                                Also try fixing the path tile error in the upper left.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Vladimir312 View Post
                                This is a very solid and nice map. Overall, I'd give it a 8.5/10. Things you might be able to improve upon, in my opinion, are, first and foremost, the use of flowers. They are everywhere and too concentrated, especially above the middle house with the blue roof. Also, there seems to be a lot of grass. Try organizing the trees and adding more of them to fill some of that empty space. My final piece of advice would be to put in more styles of grass. They are all that one tile and some variety or replacement with dirt would be helpful. I really liked your mountain mapping. The rocks and cliffs have a very natural feel to them. Also, I like that the town is spread out, instead of the cluster of buildings so often seen in the starter maps.

Now to my map.
                                Name: Route 12
                                ROM Base: Fire Red
                                Warning: Large map
                                Spoiler:
                                I get the feeling you're leaving too much space with filler tiles like flowers or grass in random places. I don't think grass should be used to fill space, just make some average-sized patches of grass - too much grass in random places can be annoying.
                                Otherwise, I like your Nintendo-ish style, the mountains & the water.
                                7/10

Old January 1st, 2012 (12:59 PM).
                                • Platinum Tier
                                • PokéCommunity Daily
                                • Discord Moderoid
                                • Developer

Quote:

This is, without a doubt, the best "first map" I have ever seen. There are some things that should be improved, but you've got the general idea right. Good job.
                                Now, to the rating itself. First and foremost, there are way too many flowers. Flowers look good in small groups, not inserted randomly across the entire map. The southwest house's sign is blocked by the wood fence, so it can't be read. Grass in towns is bad. And, in the southeast part, those mountain tiles aren't really meant to be walked on.
                                Overall: 7/10. Good, but it could be better.

-------------------

My Map
                                Map Name: Moon Village
                                Map Game: Pokémon ShadowStone
                                Credits: Peyi, Christos
                                Comments: Starter town. This is the third or fourth time I've posted this map, though every time it looked completely different.
                                Spoiler:

pgc discord daily mkj
                                paired with colours
                                Old January 1st, 2012 (2:12 PM).
                                Puts the fun in dysfunctional

X80relianthope:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by X80relianthope View Post
                                  Okay, so it's your first map. I feel like you named it inappropriately. What I mean is that a forest is supposed to be huge and heavily vegetated. Like... the Amazon rain forest. Or, even Viridian Forest. Most of the trees go in a straight line and there's only one building in the entire map, and it's a small map(speaking of playing room). Also, a forest should have the danger of a forest(tall grass). However, the path looks alright, so I'll give you that. The body of water, I feel, is very square and looks somewhat man-made. Also, the small trees seem to be concentrated really into one spot which doesn't seem very realistic. Just my thoughts. :)
                                  Final rating: 3/10 Best of luck to you. :)

Wingman11:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  Quote:
                                  My map:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  So, to me it seems like you made an attempt to make this map look natural which is a good goal to have. However, most of the tree lines are 1 tree wide and in lines which seems very man-made. Also, the overload of grass, I feel, is to compensate for the empty space. If you stuck more trees in there and gave it more of a maze-like feel of sorts, it would look more like a natural route to travel. The flowers, I feel, are too spread out. You should clump them together in groups of two or three. Maybe a small body of water or a jump-ledge to give it more elevation and depth(the only ledge being a small one with a one-tile walkway). Also, the use of small trees are almost non-existent. But, yeah. Just fix the open-space problems and you should have yourself a decent map. :)
                                  Final rating: 4/10

HackDeoxys:
                                  Spoiler:
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by HackDeoxys View Post
                                  My Map
                                  Map Name: Moon Village
                                  Map Game: Pokémon ShadowStone
                                  Credits: Peyi, Christos
                                  Comments: Starter town. This is the third or fourth time I've posted this map, though every time it looked completely different.
                                  Spoiler:

This is a nice, small town. I like the path leading through the town and how it's not too small a town, nor too big. However, I don't agree with the use of only one small tree. The shape of the town is very nice, though. The use of flowers is small enough to be agreed with, but not spread out enough in my opinion. Also, the body of water to the left of the map is very square. I get that it probably IS man-made, but even then, a little shape is nice to have. Overall, this is a decent map. :)
                                  Final rating: 6/10

Now, for my map.
                                  Map name: Test Route
                                  Game: Fire Red
                                  Credits: Masterofpuppets for his base, and whoever the tiles came from
                                  Mapshot:
                                  Spoiler:

Comments: It's my first map in a while and I wanted to get used to mapping like this for a project I had in mind that would involve a lot of space. So, be brutal, but not rude. My concern with this map is too much open space. But, I'm not sure. You tell me. Please and thanks. n_n

Some say the world will end in fire,
                                  Some say in ice.
                                  From what I've tasted of desire
                                  I hold with those who favor fire.
                                  But if it had to perish twice,
                                  I think I know enough of hate
                                  To say that for destruction ice
                                  Is also great
                                  And would suffice.
                                  Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | The Leola Project

Old January 2nd, 2012 (1:34 AM).
                                  Barium - Summer '12 Return?

Nature: Relaxed
                                    Quote:
                                    Now, for my map.
                                    Map name: Test Route
                                    Credits: Masterofpuppets for his base, and whoever the tiles came from
                                    Mapshot:
                                    Spoiler:

Comments: It's my first map in a while and I wanted to get used to mapping like this for a project I had in mind that would involve a lot of space. So, be brutal, but not rude. My concern with this map is too much open space. But, I'm not sure. You tell me. Please and thanks. n_n
                                    I'm not sure what practical purpose the lower-left portion of your map serves.
                                    However, I like the placement of your trees and grass. You gave the player adequate room to move around, and the shape of everything is nice. My concern is that the water portion of your map is quite large. The player would need quite a few repels to cross it without encounter after encounter. I would recommend making your map a bit smaller, or find a way to increase the land mass in it. 7.5/10

My map:
                                    Credits: Zeikku
                                    A very large canyon.
                                    Spoiler:

Hashire! Asu e tsudzuku shinka no micha wa
                                    Old January 3rd, 2012 (6:09 PM).
                                    Still alive

Nature: Lax
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Megiddo-san View Post
                                      My Map:
                                      Credits: Zeikku
                                      A very large canyon.
                                      Spoiler:
                                      I must say I do like your map but there are some spot of just open area. These are mainly dead ends but you shouldn't just leave them bare. The top entrance to the cave is a bit odd to me mainly how it is jutting out of the ledge and looks completely out of place. The rightmost bridge looks like it is going to far and doesn't look right. The random patch of small trees look strangely out of place.
                                      Other than that I really like the look of the map and the design I would give it a 7/10. (I have all the things I pointed out circled if you want a look)
                                      Spoiler:

My Map:
                                      Map Name: None at the moment
                                      Map Game: Gold
                                      Credits: Gamefreak
                                      Comments: I just made this for fun and to try and build up my mapping skills for when I try and make a hack. Personally I like how it turned out but tell me how I can improve. So go ahead and rip it to shreds.
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Old January 5th, 2012 (3:23 AM). Edited January 5th, 2012 by darkprince909.

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by ChaosJester083 View Post
                                        My Map:
                                        Map Name: None at the moment
                                        Map Game: Gold
                                        Credits: Gamefreak
                                        Comments: I just made this for fun and to try and build up my mapping skills for when I try and make a hack. Personally I like how it turned out but tell me how I can improve. So go ahead and rip it to shreds.
                                        Spoiler:
                                        While I do love all this Gold and Silver, this map just seems a little on the bland side. There's a little too much open space (and grass as well) for my taste. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot going on on this map, making it easily forgettable. I'm not a GS hacker though, and I'm not sure what options you have available, so I don't know what to do about that. Even adding a house somewhere along there would make this route more memorable.

Also, the left side looks like it might connect to the next map kinda weird, unless there were trees blocking off that grass patch on the next map itself.

I'd probably give it a 6/10.

And here's my map

Map: Azure City (crappy name, I know, still working on that)
                                        Hack: again, my unreleased project (shhhh... secret)
                                        Tile Credits: 874521, wesleyfg, CNickC, turtwig-2, chimcharsfireworkd, myself

Spoiler:

You enter this map for the first time through the cave in the upper left.
                                        Closed Thread
                                        Quick Reply

Sponsored Links