• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NU Rain Dance (help!)

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
Years
  • ok, so I made a NU team using Rain Dance, and it all seemd well and good, but when it came to testing, it lost EVERY match (and i've done at least 5 battles on Shoddy now)

ok, so I started with electrode, as that is the most obvious rain lead

Electrode @ Damp Rock
    Hasty
    Soundproof
    252 ATK, 48 SA, 208 Speed

Rain Dance
    Thunder
    Taunt
    Explosion

then, I chose Dewgong, as it's the standard NU Rain dancer...

Dewgong @ Damp Rock
    Careful
    Hydration
    252 HP, 4 DEF, 252 SD

Aqua Jet
    Rain Dance
    Rest
    Encore

After that, I went for Parasect, as it is also a good choice, being non water-type.

Parasect @ Occa Berry
    Adamant
    Dry Skin
    252 HP, 252 ATk, 4 SD

X-Scizor
    Pursuit
    Seed Bomb
    Spore

Then, I went for something to outspeed all other NU pokemon, and found Mantine (as in rain, mine is faster than electrode)

Mantine @ Damp Rock
    Modest
    Swift Swim
    168 HP, 232 SA, 108 Speed

Rain Dance
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Toxic

I chose to have only 108 Speed EV's (as opposed to smogon's suggested 132) and move the rest into HP because the extra EV's in speed will not be needed if it is raining. It already outspeeds Electrode, which is the fastest NU pokemon, so I decided to give Mantine a bit more bulk...

Then, I chose to use a Luvdisc
    Luvdisc @ Fail

nah, I'm joking, I didn't use Luvdisc. I chose Probopass, as I needed a Stealth Rocker, and something to take out steel types

Probopass @ Leftovers
    Calm
    Magnet Pull
    252 HP, 168 DEF, 90 Speed

Power Gem
    Flash Cannon
    Stealth Rock
    Toxic

Finally, I chose Quagsire, as Water Absorb would be Highly effective, and so would Electric immunity, to counter other Rain Dance teams...

Whiscash @ Leftovers
    Adamant
    Anticipation
    4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 speed

Dragon Dance
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Waterfall

gotta go! i'll edit this later!

Last edited:

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    You have a major weakness to a LO medicham with ice punch and thunder punch. Replace parasect with a sandslash.

Sandslash@leftovers
    252HP/ 252 def/ 4 att
    impish nature
    rapid spin
    stealth rock
    Earthquake
    Stone edge

On probopass replace SR with substitute.
    lastly, don't use yawn on quagsire, you already have toxic on 2 other pokemon so chances are that most of the opponents pokemon will have a status condition therefore yawn is useless. replace it with recover.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
    Years
  • thanks beaver, but I think Parasect may be a better choice due to Dry Skin

also, when I tried to put recover on Quagsire, it wasn't there! the shoddy server doesn't give Quagsire recover

also, I'm now thinking of swapping Quagsire with your suggested Sandslash, that may work...

what do people think of that???

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    don't replace quagsire with sandslash. Also since recover isn't in quagsire's movepool on shoddy, use curse instead.

Dark Pulse94

Scienta Potentia Est
    Years
  • you think Quagsire is a better choice over sandslash?

It's just I want to keep Parasect, because not enough pokemon use Rain Dance in my team (only 3)

also, What should I get rid of for Sandslash?

and, my Final Question. the big old Whiscash/Quagsire/Gastrodon Debate, which do you think is the best choice on this team?

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    Okay if you really think that parasect is a better choice then keep it. So that leaves the question of quagsire or sandslash, and the answer is quagsire becuase not only does it provide more offence it takes advantage of the rain with a powerful stab waterfall. so basically your quagsire will look like this.

Quagsire@leftovers
    impish
    water absorb
    252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 att
    Waterfall
    stone edge
    curse
    earthquake

Now, about your final question. You could use any of those pokemon on this team IMO, because essentially they are all capable of the same things. Bulky water, offensive wall, and stealth rock support, so honestly it's all preference.

Cheeky Beaver

@ techloom clause
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2011
    The only person that sandslash can swap with is that parasect and you really want to keep it so, sandslash dosen't have a spot on this team. Besides, the rain works against him by powering up the enemy's water type moves. In the rain a floatzels aqua jet becomes a 2hko as apposed to the regular 3hko so therefore sandslash does not belong on this team.

Now about the gastro, whiscash, quagsire question: you can swap quagsire out for any of those 2 pokes becuase like i said before, they are all capable of doing the same thing, it is all about prefernce. TBH, a dd whiscash might be pretty good on this team. Maybe replace quagsire with him?

Back